• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think I met a long range God today.

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    I was minding my own business at the local gun store counter waiting my turn and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds with his AR "I can shoot .75 MOA at 1700 yards, I can hit 50 of 75 playing cards at that distance. (Don't know how that equates to .75 Moa at 1700)

I said well you must be one of the top shooters in the world

"I was number three in the nation when I was 17, and when I turned 18 the DOD recruited me to kill people over seas."

He got mad and left when I said "yeah okay".

Guess I missed my chance at an autograph, darn.

Last edited:
    I was minding my own business at the gun counter and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds with his AR "I can shoot .75 MOA at 1700 yards, I can hit 50 of 75 playing cards at that distance. (Don't know how that equates to .75 Moa at 1700)

"I was number three in the nation when I was 17, and when I turned 18 the DOD recruited me to kill people over seas."

If'n you hadn't asked him to have gay sex with you, things might have gone "better" :unsure: ;)

"You can stop a semi at 1 mile with a 30-06!" I heard that once by some moron in a gun store.
    You most certainly can stop a semi at 1 mile and further with a 30-06 all you got to do is shoot the driver in the head from the passenger seat at whatever mile you want.

Oh, was that you I was talking to? It's fun telling my 1700 yd AK stories at the LGS.
    I wish you would have atleast offered me a hand job for wasting my time 😄

IMG_0948.jpeg

I know a really nice guy who has pretty solid ballistic knowledge, builds rifles and competes in some sort of benchrest competition. Owns some really expensive gear, and has everyone around him convinced that he missed a deer at somewhere around 800 yards, and the bullet passing near it killed it dead without touching it. He tells everyone that will listen that when he skinned it, the head and neck was destroyed, all bloodshot, but there wasn't a hole in it anywhere. For whatever reason, I think he believes it himself. I've swatted it down repeatedly, as respectfully as I am able, but he keeps telling it.

• Haha
    Reactions: Bender and Ronws
    "You can stop a semi at 1 mile with a 30-06!" I heard that once by some moron in a gun store.
    Uhhh, how far will a semi truck go with a hole in the radiator? You may have been correct that that particular shooter couldn't do it, but I think the 06 could.

Oh man the local gun counters are just as bad as local gun ranges.

I still Cary a public range membership even though I don’t need it whatsoever but when I really need some excitement I go and take take the V22 to shoot 350 yards.

That usually gets the local range going pretty easy.

• Haha
    Reactions: Modoc and XP1K
    Uhhh, how far will a semi truck go with a hole in the radiator? You may have been correct that that particular shooter couldn't do it, but I think the 06 could.
    IT'S YOU! OMFG! :ROFLMAO:

That semi will go way longer than you would want it to if you were trying to stop it. All vehicles go longer/farther than you want them to unless hit with a rocket/RPG.

Dumbest thing I have seen at a public rifle range is this guy had his scope mounted backwards on his rifle…I asked him hey man why you got the scope mounted backwards on the rifle? Hey says “oh is it backwards I was wondering why things looked further away when I looked through it”

I offered to help him mount it properly and he declined….lol

Serious question here. Is it really a thing for people with ARs (or any .223 rifle for that matter) to take it out to 1,000 yards and beyond? Yeah, I know I can look in the long range section, but I'm asking here not there.

Serious question here. Is it really a thing for people with ARs (or any .223 rifle for that matter) to take it out to 1,000 yards and beyond? Yeah, I know I can look in the long range section, but I'm asking here not there.
    Longest I've shot my 223 is 600 yards. And I thought that was pretty much the max range for 223, as accuracy drops off significantly beyond 600.

I have gone to 1200 on an ipsc... At night with witnesses lol.. very lucky...

It's doable past 600 but the wind is killer and probabilities of a hit go away down past 800 imo

Reactions: Modoc and DIBBS
    I've shot a propane tank with an AR at about 1k.
    Took more than a few rounds....and because I didn't want to be any closer to the tank.
    Unfortunately it just fizzled and did not explode :(

Reactions: lash
    I was minding my own business at the gun counter and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds with his AR "I can shoot .75 MOA at 1700 yards, I can hit 50 of 75 playing cards at that distance. (Don't know how that equates to .75 Moa at 1700)

Was his name Flips?

If you are shooting a bolt gun 5.56 to 1000yds regularly, an 18-20" AR with 77SMK @2750fps MV will do it!
    To be fair this guy said he was shooting a .224 Valkyrie, but still calling bullshit.

Reactions: FredHammer

May have been @Lowlight I heard he was at CCC in Navasota yesterday so maybe he was picking up some ammo and you didn’t realize it was him? :ROFLMAO:

To be fair this guy said he was shooting a .224 Valkyrie, but still calling bullshit.
    Yup, still ain't a 1700yd gun. At least the clown could have said a mile. He was only 60yds shy. I doubt he even knew the yards in a mile.

Reactions: akmike47
    I was minding my own business at the gun counter and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds...

He was probably hitting on you, do you give off a 'gay vibe' or dress like one of the village people?
    Sounds like he really wanted to impress you

I hear people talk all sort of uneducated shit about long range shooting these days
    I just laugh quietly to myself and say wow that is awesome dude, you are an amazing shot
    and just walk away

Yes

I have shot my fairly basic AR w/18" barrel to 600 yards with Hornady 75gr no problem
    That gun has a fairly basic shitty SFP scope on it (maybe $200). I plan to upgrade the scope and mount on it in the next month so I can shoot longer distance with it. I want to try it at 1000 without having to hold over.

If I did not sit right next to a person shooting 1000 yard targets with an AR I would have been a little doubtful too
    shot after shot, was 800 yads, then 900 yards, then 1000 yards, then multiple at 1000
    not a basic AR, but a custom AR with high end barrel etc

I also shot next to a guy with a custom 308 bolt gun that hit a 1 mile target 10 shots in a row (including his first shot)
    and the wind had changed in that timeframe.
    again, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would doubt the story.

Reactions: Eddystone
    Fake news , some people just scream for attention .

Long Range Service Rifle, I've shot it a few times in .223, 90.something aggregate scores. I've scored higher with the same bullet through a Savage F/TR on the smaller F Class target.

Those were both shot on paper targets. I haven't tried either since the club went to e-targets. I've watched others have trouble getting their shots to register.

.223 at 1,000 will make you pay attention to the conditions every shot.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Modoc and lash
    Oh yeah! Well I can top that. I was a door gunner on the Space Shuttle and tasked with blowing ET's ass out of the ionosphere.

I'm not going to brag about my kill rate but why do you think there are all of these UFO sightings after I retired? If they had me on the job those things wouldn't be getting through our airspace hoping to probe someone!

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

6bbfd23bef3f158527552878a453bb0f--nasa-photos-new-job.jpg

I know a really nice guy who has pretty solid ballistic knowledge, builds rifles and competes in some sort of benchrest competition. Owns some really expensive gear, and has everyone around him convinced that he missed a deer at somewhere around 800 yards, and the bullet passing near it killed it dead without touching it. He tells everyone that will listen that when he skinned it, the head and neck was destroyed, all bloodshot, but there wasn't a hole in it anywhere. For whatever reason, I think he believes it himself. I've swatted it down repeatedly, as respectfully as I am able, but he keeps telling it.
    Been there, done that in the sense that some people have a delusion and as long as no one is actually harmed by it, I let it be.

The hard part in correcting someone's delusion is in being nice about it, which I am sure you know. If I get too strident in my tone, a person gets defensive and now nothing is getting through.

In my profession, in spite of my lofty credentials, I have had people with zero experience tell me something I know is patently false but what can you do?

Be nice, collect the check, move on.

Last edited:
    Oh yeah! Well I can top that. I was a door gunner on the Space Shuttle and tasked with blowing ET's ass out of the ionosphere.

I'm not going to brag about my kill rate but why do you think there are all of these UFO sightings after I retired? If they had me on the job those things wouldn't be getting through our airspace hoping to probe someone!

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

6bbfd23bef3f158527552878a453bb0f--nasa-photos-new-job.jpg
    Here is a reenactment. go to time stamp: 04:06 to get closer to the action.

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: Fig

It is quite doable.

You just need a good, accurate setup and a good load.

Oh, and not much wind.