• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think I want a red dot on my new pistol.

SRO, they just work. There are other red dots with bigger windows, thinner bezels, clearer glass, etc. But at the end of the day the SRO checks all the boxes and is probably one of the more common red dots in competition holsters every weekend. There’s a reason for that. And if it ever dies Trijicon’s warranty is pretty good. Plus it shares the same footprint as most of the Holosuns, so you have a cheaper alternative as a backup should you need one.

Probably can find a good deal on the PX or whenever the Black Friday sales starts.

Reactions: 308pirate
All this place needs is a thread about me wanting night vision, and everybody saying to spend a bazilion dollars, then I buy some cheap shit on Amazon and it fucking electrocutes me or some shit and then I spend a bazilion dollars anyway.... Nope, I'll just deal with having a red dot.

I like the cut of his jib

Looking at getting a dot as well in the spring. Why no love for the aimpoint acro?

Looking at getting a dot as well in the spring. Why no love for the aimpoint acro?

For my uses it has no real advantages, and costs more. Dudes I shoot with like it, but ones a cop.

Slide showed up. Red dot is on. I'm kicking myself fo not getting a striker channel liner. I really want to shoot it.

IMG_5046.jpg

Definitely a matter of personal preference. In the end, I don't think green vs red offers any measurable difference in performance for me. My RMR is red, of course. But my Holosuns are green. One is a 2-MOA dot. The other is the 10-MOA chevron. I really like the chevron. And I seem to prefer green. Just personal preference.

I like green over red as well after trying a few other green dots vs red dots over the years. Green seems as bright at lower power settings and thus less bloom to my old eyes.

I have the Primary Arms Holosun ACSS Chevron on my 9mm.
At first I liked it a lot because of the 250 moa circle which helped me find the center but after training with that new pistol I didn't need the 250 moa circle nearly as much once my muscle memory kicked in. Well except for getting a bad draw or when picking the gun off a table, etc.
I don't dislike the chevron but don't love it either.
After using it for a while and thinking about it more I'll probably put this reflex on a very precise 22rf pistol and use the top of the chevron for the aiming point.
This particular reflex is a very good choice for someone new to reflex sights on a pistol.

Then bought the green 2moa dot and 32moa reticle in the 507C. I like it better than the chevron for speed especially on round steel or other steel that will somewhat fit into the 32 moa circle. I can center it faster and "realise??" it better than the chevron.

Also have a 407K on a MK3 pistol. Though the window is smaller I can still "realise" that 6moa green dot faster especially on small steel. It's the smaller viewing window which can sometimes limit my speed but the dot is nice.

After mentioning all that what would be the most ideal for me would be bigger a viewing window than the 507 has, having that 250moa circle in the PA in case I get a bad draw, and a 12 moa green dot for speed. This would shave a few seconds here and there which in my case is the difference between getting 5th or 3rd place in our steel match. There's no way I'm catching up to those young guys but I can creep up closer and finish high senior most of the time.

Reactions: Racer88
Or you can fix your draw.

Skill > gimmicks
The 250moa circle would seem gimmicky but it works really well because the way it works is instinctual in nature. I don't know why but the Canik's grip this reflex is mounted on doesn't feel quite right to me vs some others I've tried so I haven't gotten settled into the draw yet. Plus I'm still using the holster it came with which isn't well suited for competition. Definitely need another holster if I keep using this gun for Steel Challenge.

However yeah the more one uses a particular pistol the more they'll fix their draw. I started on Glocks 30 years ago, then to 1911 and 2011, and every time I try a new pistol it takes a while to acclimate to the grip angle and how it interacts with my hand.

25 years ago I won B stock division at the American Handgunner World Shootoff including the quick draw stage but this was with irons of course and a 2011 in 40. I just need to keep working at it or maybe put the Canik away and figure something else out.
Also I don't know whether to stay in CO or go to LO???

Last edited:
The 250moa circle would seem gimmicky but it works really well because the way it works is instinctual in nature. I don't know why but the Canik's grip this reflex is mounted on doesn't feel quite right to me vs some others I've tried so I haven't gotten settled into the draw yet. Plus I'm still using the holster it came with which isn't well suited for competition. Definitely need another holster if I keep using this gun for Steel Challenge.

However yeah the more one uses a particular pistol the more they'll fix their draw. I started on Glocks 30 years ago, then to 1911 and 2011, and every time I try a new pistol it takes a while to acclimate to the grip angle and how it interacts with my hand.

25 years ago I won B stock division at the American Handgunner World Shootoff including the quick draw stage but this was with irons of course and a 2011 in 40. I just need to keep working at it or maybe put the Canik away and figure something else out.
Also I don't know whether to stay in CO or go to LO???

Sounds like you need to spend more time working on your draw and less time shopping.

Two and a half years ago I started shooting pistols with dots. It took about two weeks of 1 hr of draw practice per day to get the point where the dot appeared in front of my eyes no matter what. After that, all it takes is 15 minutes or so of familiarization with a new pistol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: steve123
Sounds like you need to spend more time working on your draw and less time shopping.

Two and a half years ago I started shooting pistols with dots. It took about two weeks of 1 hr of draw practice per day to get the point where the dot appeared in front of my eyes no matter what. After that, all it takes is 15 minutes or so of familiarization with a new pistol.
Laugh all you want. Making excuses for why you rely on gimmicks is the real LOL

Laugh all you want. Making excuses for why you rely on gimmicks is the real LOL

It's funny how you always talk down to people in your usual narcissistic fashion.🙄 It cracks me up because you are so predictably abrasive and that you just can't help yourself. Man what a awesome personality trait.

Cool it man I'm just wetting my feet in SC.
Your not wrong about practicing and I'm not making excuses however I'm progressing in my preferences in reflex sites, holsters, guns, all while being honest in my approach of all this stuff, and BTW I'm welcome to my own opinions.
Also I'm not sure I want to go down the road of getting another expensive pistol like a custom CZ, or 1911 ,STI, etc, or spending the time needed to advance more in the sport right now and that's precisley why I'm using a cheap 9mm pistol.

I'm mid 60's, have a wopping three Steel Challenge matches behind me now, and already finished 5th OA last month at my local match. That's without practicing my draw, with the suck holster, and using the new gun with a heavy trigger.
By spring I will have made my mind up about some things and will go from there.

The shape makes it harder to conceal and an enclosed emitter optic offers zero advantages for those who carry concealed.

The ACRO is .2" taller, .1" longer and wider than an RMR. I personally love mine. I find it easier to track the dot than an RMR. Not that I can't do with with the RMR but the slightly taller window makes it easier for me.

The ACRO is .2" taller, .1" longer and wider than an RMR.

It's not the dimensions. It's the shape.

The bulk of the RMR's volume is right by the beltline when the pistol is in a holster. The farther up you go from the belt the less optic there is. That is not what happens with boxes like the ACRO and similar.

Again, they offer no advantages to conceal carry.

Also, nobody who knows how to use a reflex sight "tracks the dot"; bunch of modern samurai bullshit. IDGAF if it disappears going up, as I know where it's going to come back down to because I know how to grip a pistol.

i have trijicon sro 5.0 on my carry optics gun and limited optics gun. looking at getting a staccato c2 (3.9" 2011) for mostly HD but also some CC and am considering optics. for a smaller gun like the c2 i was thinking maybe the rmr but i really want a larger window. then the rmr hd but that only goes to a 3.5moa dot. maybe going with another sro 5.0 is a good choice? the same optic i use in 2 gun etc so familiarity. just leave it on and replace the battery annually if not quarterly.

Had the red dot out a few times over the last month. I decided that I really like it. 2 problems though.
First, I'm a goon and thought the white stuff on the short screws was lok tite, it's not. Lost a screw and the second one was loose. Happened at a match on Sunday. Damn thing shot great up until it didn't. I shortened up the long screws and put blue lock tite on them. Should be god now, but I'll make it a habit to check every time I take it out.
Second, the glass is very close to the port/chamber area and I have to wipe it off after every stage or 30-40 rounds. Oil and dirt/soot/crap from the ejecting brass gets all over it. I wonder if putting wax or rain X on the glass would help it wipe off easier?

Had the red dot out a few times over the last month. I decided that I really like it. 2 problems though.
First, I'm a goon and thought the white stuff on the short screws was lok tite, it's not. Lost a screw and the second one was loose. Happened at a match on Sunday. Damn thing shot great up until it didn't. I shortened up the long screws and put blue lock tite on them. Should be god now, but I'll make it a habit to check every time I take it out.
Second, the glass is very close to the port/chamber area and I have to wipe it off after every stage or 30-40 rounds. Oil and dirt/soot/crap from the ejecting brass gets all over it. I wonder if putting wax or rain X on the glass would help it wipe off easier?

Make sure you're torquing to spec as well. It's not much, around 12-18 INCH/lbs. My SRO lens covers up the little hole in the top of my M&P 2.0 slide, but on my CZ the only time I have some of the issue is right after cleaning or if I'm running too much lube on it. I no longer use really any oil based lube up on that chamber area of the barrel. Maybe a tiny bit of grease on the top where the frame locks into the barrel chamber, but thats it.

That being said, I'm not really a glock guy so not as much experience there.

It amazes me how many men need to be shown how to tighten a pair of screws properly so they don't come loose and fall off.

I LOL at posts after posts of idiots losing screws off their red dot sights on pistol-forum. Invariably the advice there is to "take professional instruction". LOLGMAFB

It amazes me how many men need to be shown how to tighten a pair of screws properly so they don't come loose and fall off.

I LOL at posts after posts of idiots losing screws off their red dot sights on pistol-forum. Invariably the advice there is to "take professional instruction". LOLGMAFB
You are an “ableist”.

Your hate speech and ability has no place here.

TLooking at getting a dot as well in the spring. Why no love for the aimpoint acro?

I've tried the ACRO P1, P2 and Holsun 509T G1 and G2. I prefer the clarity, no magnification and least amount of distortion of the ACRO P2 with my astigmatism. Is it harder to conceal than other options? Slightly, but this is what I carry concealed 99% of the time now.

IMG_5287.jpg

Reactions: the_assman

2 of the screws has dry blue paste on them. The other 2 had dry white paste. I thought they already had lock tite on them.

Make sure you're torquing to spec as well. It's not much, around 12-18 INCH/lbs. My SRO lens covers up the little hole in the top of my M&P 2.0 slide, but on my CZ the only time I have some of the issue is right after cleaning or if I'm running too much lube on it. I no longer use really any oil based lube up on that chamber area of the barrel. Maybe a tiny bit of grease on the top where the frame locks into the barrel chamber, but thats it.

That being said, I'm not really a glock guy so not as much experience there.
This is probably what I am going to have to do. Grease where it's needed and run the face of the slide and back of the barrel dry. I run the AR and the 92 pretty wet, so I'll have to shift gears and take care of different guns different ways. No big deal.

Reactions: Terry Cross
What did you torque them to? And with what?
I'm an auto tech so I'm usually pretty good at tightening things the right amount. I just used the allen wrench that came with the sight. I just got out my Wheeler fat wrench to kind of test how tight I felt putting them in. They are tighter than the 12-15 inch pounds, but I know exactly what 29 inch pounds feels like because I overhaul a lot of rear ends and thats what you set the pinion bearing tension to. So somewhere between 15 and 29 inch pounds.
Also, when I took the loose screw out the dry white paste was still flakey, like it didn't do anything.

So somewhere between 15 and 29 inch pounds.

They shouldn't have come loose so quickly if they were that tight even without thread locker. Lesson learned assume nothing and do everything yourself.

I've gotten a lot more time behind my 507k w/ ACSS Vulcan... the 250 MOA circle is a distraction. To be clear, I'm not saying the 250 MOA circle is superfluous, I'm saying the 250 MOA circle worse than a single plain dot.

Your brain processes "there's something red" before it can process "that's the wrong red" & then figure out how to fix the sight picture. Also, I can determine sight alignment by feel basically instantaneously, much faster than I can determine where the circle and dot are and need to move. I'm sure with practice I could speed things up w/ the circle, but 1) I still think it would be slower 2) why bother? What @308pirate has been saying is 100% correct

I've gotten a lot more time behind my 507k w/ ACSS Vulcan... the 250 MOA circle is a distraction. To be clear, I'm not saying the 250 MOA circle is superfluous, I'm saying the 250 MOA circle worse than a single plain dot.

Your brain processes "there's something red" before it can process "that's the wrong red" & then figure out how to fix the sight picture. Also, I can determine sight alignment by feel basically instantaneously, much faster than I can determine where the circle and dot are and need to move. I'm sure with practice I could speed things up w/ the circle, but 1) I still think it would be slower 2) why bother? What @308pirate has been saying is 100% correct
The 250 MOA outer circle can be turned off, leaving only the chevron. I found the outer circle helpful and dialing in my presentation to the point of not seeing the outer circle anymore. I have left the 250 MOA circle turned on anyway. But I basically don't ever see it anymore. I don't find it distracting at all.... because I don't see it 99% of the time. And, most importantly, I'm focused on the target.

I do like the chevron. For defensive shooting, I treat the entire chevron like a 10-MOA "dot." If I need to make a precision shot, I can use the point of the chevron.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Yeah, I just haven't bothered yet. I usually don't see it either, but with a bad presentation I do & then it definitely slows me down.

The 507k-x2's have a dot in the center, not the chevron. I think they're the only ones without the chevron.

You guys are so cute with your adorable 9mm’s…Tackleberry says hi and this is where your P2 belongs…and yes I intend to shoot this at a competition once my 10 point chest rig comes in. Merry Christmas :LOL::LOL:
PS: the sound of the perfect 10 round hitting steel and the rate at which it falls…ahhhhhh.….soo good.

IMG_0526.jpeg

What @308pirate has been saying is 100% correct

So many people want to argue without any practical experience, or worse "because it works for them" with no measurable metrics to prove shit. That's why any more I just shut up, smile, and wave.

Reactions: LR1845
I'm sure with practice I could speed things up w/ the circle, but 1) I still think it would be slower 2) why bother?
Exactly

Fix your index and all of the bullshit gimmicky reticles and stupid crutches like "press out on the draw" and "use the backup sights to find the dot" become unnecessary.

Reactions: R_A_W
"use the backup sights to find the dot" become unnecessary.

That will REALLY slow you down. I don't use the "back-up" sights at all with an optic. I don't even see them... because I'm focused on the TARGET.

The only reason I haven't removed the iron sights on my optic-equipped EDC is because of what I perceive as possibly detrimental "LEGAL optics" if I'm ever forced to defend myself. Hopefully never ever. So far, so good with 27 years of carry!

The only reason I haven't removed the iron sights on my optic-equipped EDC is because of what I perceive as possibly detrimental "LEGAL optics" if I'm ever forced to defend myself.

What in the actual fuck? LOLOLOL

Get better legal advice

Reactions: striped1
You guys are so cute with your adorable 9mm’s…Tackleberry says hi and this is where your P2 belongs…and yes I intend to shoot this at a competition once my 10 point chest rig comes in. Merry Christmas :LOL::LOL:
PS: the sound of the perfect 10 round hitting steel and the rate at which it falls…ahhhhhh.….soo good.

View attachment 8303032

Sorry I don't pour concrete :geek:

• Haha
Who said anything about legal advice??

I did. You need it.

This is what you said:
The only reason I haven't removed the iron sights on my optic-equipped EDC is because of what I perceive as possibly detrimental "LEGAL optics" if I'm ever forced to defend myself.

Maybe you would like to explain further, so I don't misunderstand what you're saying.

I did. You need it.

This is what you said:

Maybe you would like to explain further, so I don't misunderstand what you're saying.
Likewise, I would suggest you get some legal education pertaining to self-defense.

One excellent book as a starting point is Andrew Branca's "The Law of Self-Defense." I've personally corresponded with him and others, like Massad Ayoob, who wrote, "Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self-Defense."

There are a lot of things that can get the attention of prosecutors such as "FAFO" or "Punisher" skulls adorning your gun.

One of the common tactics of prosecutors is to suggest your shooting of an attacker was "accidental" or negligent. Accordingly, many legal experts warn against modifying guns with the aforementioned adornments, or lightening the trigger pull weight, or anything else that could make the gun "less safe."

I would expect removing sights from a defensive gun could be interpreted and presented as "reckless" by a prosecutor. So, I leave the iron sights on, even with a RDS. Why gift-wrap legal "ammunition" for the prosecutor?

Your mileage may vary.

Oh... another book.... "How to Win Friends and Influence People." You should check it out. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LR1845
One of the common tactics of prosecutors is to suggest your shooting of an attacker was "accidental" or negligent. Accordingly, many legal experts warn against modifying guns with the aforementioned adornments, or lightening the trigger pull weight, or anything else that could make the gun "less safe."

So what is the prosecutor going to say about your intent when you added an electronic sight that makes your pistol "deadlier"?

LOLOLOL

As I said, get better counsel. Like actually paying a lawyer to advice you instead of listening to someone who isn't a lawyer (Ayoob) and one who isn't being paid to represent you (Branca)

• Haha
So what is the prosecutor going to say about your intent when you added an electronic sight that makes your pistol "deadlier"?

Your legal advice is pure genius! You should write a book.