• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes I want your input on a scope....

Rapidrob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
New Mexico
OK, I just finished my new long range rifle in 8 MM Remington Magnum. A range trip showed I have a real shooter on my hands.
What I need from you guys is your recommendations on a rifle scope that will allow me enough MOA drop compensation and windage so I can shoot out to a mile. ( 200 grain bullet moving at 3,300 FPS .520 BC)
Recoil is NOT a factor as there is none to speak of.
I would like a scope that will hold zero when removed and placed back on the rifle. The rifle at this time does not have a rail for mounting a scope. Normal eye relief is needed.
I'd like the scope you have used and has a proven track record for holding it's settings and optics.
Diameter of the objective lens is not a factor.
What do you recommend and the estimated cost of the scope you mention?

Re: I want your input on a scope....

The new 5-25 ATACR rifle scopes from Nightforce has 120 MOA worth of adjustment. SPF.

Vortex Razor has 125 MOA if I remember correctly, but 5x less on the high end than the ATACR. May or may not be important to you. FFP that may be on the thick side for mile work.

SB 5-25 has 118 MOA I believe. FFP P4F reticle might suit your ELR shooting nicely.

The 5.5-22 NXS with 100 MOA has bee a great scope for a long time.

Lots of choices for just about any budget.

The ability to return to zero when removed and remounted has nothing to do with the scope and everything to do with the mount.

Joe

Some of the scopes I've seen have their own or recommended mounts.
Under two grand would work for me.
Thank you for your replies so far.

Thank you for your replies.
I read a post that Bushnell is the maker for some of the other "better" scopes as well. Is this true?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for your replies.
I read a post that Bushnell is the maker for some of the other "better" scopes as well. Is this true? </div></div>

Hi Chief, finally may know something you don't. Bushnell's high end scopes are made in Japan by Light Optical Works aka LOW. LOW also makes the better Weaver scopes such as the Grand and Super Slams and Cleardige scopes Perhaps makes the better Sightrons and the
Vorterx Viper, but not sure about these. As the resident scope expert on another forum wrote once...LOW doesn't talk about who its customers are.

best regards, Huffmanite

Cool beans! I kinda thought that may be what was going on.
I did find a Vector scope for sale too cheap to be real. What it turned out to be is that it is a Vector scope with a damaged reticule. ( artifact on etched glass) I gave the guy 200 bucks for it after I called Vector. The scope has never been on a rifle. The company is going to fix it for free.
This may not be the scope I keep on the rifle, but for the price and free repair, I had to jump on it.