• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I was considering a Sig P220.. but now I'm not so sure.

My 220 in SA has a trigger pull of @ 3oz. compared to my G30 with a zev trigger is @ 5.5oz. The da/sa and the decocker are two additional items that have to be addressed in a stressful situation.. When I was shooting the 220 a few times a month it wasn't an issue.
Now that I shoot pistols bout 3 times a year I have to put additional conscience thought into running the 220. It is no longer a auto pilot, muscle memory task for me.

Last edited:
Yup, throw a Zev grigger group in a Glock and you will be one happy camper.

I sense this thread is going to spin off into a Glock Sucks vs. Everything Else.

I bid you all Adieu

Don't get me wrong I still love my old German 220. If I am not practicing with it A LOT I don't carry it. In SA mode the trigger is quite light. IMOP the 220 is an awesome pistol but requires constant practice to be proficient and right now I don't do enough range time with it to be proficient.

Just a little scenario, Put yourself into a stressed situation: suspect is firing at you from 50yds and your primary rifle malfunctions. Do you jump for cover and assess the problem with your rifle or immediately transition to your sidearm? You transition to your sidearm and with the long heavy pull of a DA you probably pull your shot low left and then pop off another round when the pistol goes to SA. After you stop the immediate threat you holster your sidearm and get your primary working so that you can look for additional threats. During this process you forgot to decock the weapon. The pistol could ND while bouncing around in a holster while you are running after additional threats or ND if you have to pull your pistol again for cqb OR after all is said and done and you are pulling off all of your gear you ND the pistol while removing it from the holster to put it away.

Added;
remember that you have adrenaline, stress and you are expecting a heavy 12oz long first pull which could be a serious issue if you have forgotten to decock.

Last edited:
^^^^^Furthermore, when the East Soviet bad guy has his finger on the nuclear detonator and Bruce Willis is chained up to a C4 bomb, you can't squeeze off the 1st DA shot before one of the disposable henchmen launches a RPG into the alien spaceship that Will Smith piloted in Independence Day. To the OP forget the Sig, you can't deal with DA/SA in a combat environment. Decockers are for pussies anyways. HK, SIG, Beretta M9 all suck under pressure. I would go with something that has a shitty trigger pull ALL the time instead of the 1st of 15. I would think the decocker is much easier to manipulate after the stressful situation to make the weapon safe than to lower the hammer on say a 1911 with hands sweaty and shaking. I keep my 220 in the nightstand with a loaded mag and empty chamber. When needed, the slide gets pulled and the pistol is ready for SA.

null_zps600a4e1b.jpg

null_zps85d3e5af.jpg

I've got both. Well actually 1 HK45 and about 7 P220's. Both great guns, but the P220 shoots like a dream.

I had a P220ST and sadly sold it due to some "outside pressure". Never again. It was a favorite of mine. It fit my hand like a glove. I'd love to have it back. That being said, it did have some warts. I wished it had a higher capacity. It was also somewhat heavy, and wasn't too comfortable to carry for extended periods. I would still like to get another one, but I have other projects ahead of that on the priority ladder.

Dude. It's apples and oranges. By your hk moniker I see which way you lean. I just can't get past the mag release of the hk platform. I'm ingrained in my reactive traits.

I prefer the P220.

I've had my P220 for years and it fits my big mitts perfectly. I noticed that now being a bit older my target sense has decreased and the recoil is a bit tougher. I got a tungsten tactical pro guide rod and holy crap what a difference.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

null_zps85d3e5af.jpg

I've got both. Well actually 1 HK45 and about 7 P220's. Both great guns, but the P220 shoots like a dream.

I've got a question for someone who's owned many P220s (Sorry if this is hijacking the thread).

Last year, I picked up a nice looking P220, two-tone with night sights. This is going to sound terrible, but I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, so it remains unfired. My intention, however, after a bit of practice, was to make this my primary sidearm. I therefore invested in quite a few extra mags and a few nice holsters.

But then the internet demons struck, and I began reading about some issues with the older models with internal extractors, and sure enough, mine has an internal extractor. (I don't know how the dealer was able to sit on a P220 for so long, but he did.) Anyway, the internet rumor-mill/echo-chamber seems to be telling all kinds of stories about the internal extractors causing FTF and FTE issues. Many have claimed that Sig switched to an external extractor because of this issue. A few, however, have stated that Sig made the switch because it allowed them some parts commonality with their other, smaller caliber, offerings.

If you've got 7 P220's, do any have internal extractors, and what's your experience with them?

Does anybody know if I should have any legitimate concerns? I know that the standard answer is going to be, "Just go shoot it and find out", which is great advice, except, as I said, this is an unfired P220, so I can still sell it as such if I avoid firing it. I really love the feel of the Sig in my hand, but if I had to replace it, I might consider an HK45c, just because it's a might smaller, which would make CCW a bit easier.

So . . . anybody know anything more than what they read on various gun forums?

Again, sorry to hijack the thread, and thanks in advance, gents!

I had a USP in 45. It was a great gun. I think having larger hands are a necessity for that model. After I bought a 227 the HK was sold. Unfortunately I had to sell the 227 in order to buy some stuff for the kids but once the funds are there I'm buying another 227. It's almost the exact same size as my 226 (MK25).

I chose a P220 because of fit in my hand and POA/POI with minimal sight intervention. I really think you should see which style and type of frame and grip design works for you in a stressful situation. Also a double stack P226 fit's in the same holsters so it's easy to change it over when I need to.