• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IDAHO,WYOMING,MONTANA,UTAH

96 was the last bad one. We've had 90% as much several times since.

Don't believe the news. It's cyclic. We had several years of nearly no snow, then almost record snows. They just don't tell you about the near record levels because it doesn't fit the doom and gloom narrative.
1695241670447.png

The color one is from one or two years ago?

Granted, the top one is from 1966 (the train one purportedly from 1966, but I don’t know).

The record for the coldest air temp in Minnesota is -60°F, set in 1996 in Tower, MN. Unofficial measurements were -73°F in the same area/day (see video). 1996 isn’t that far off.

Overall, the winters have been getting a bit milder, yes. A bit. A warming trend can, paradoxically, make winters more extreme. Especially in the middle of a continent (where it tends to be the coldest).

Where are you from, pardner?
View attachment 8231706

(Edit: on second glance, this gif from Once Upon a Time in the West is a little too confrontational. I tried to find a gif of a farmer pushing his hat up, the classic sign of a ND farmer who is a bit confused at what he is experiencing. This’ll have to do. Supposed to be funny!)
I've spent most of the last 15 years or so working the MonDak area.

I've spent most of the last 15 years or so working the MonDak area.
Ok, so it’s pretty cold out there. But in my experience, east of Dickinson is where it tends to really get cold. Not always, but tends. And the in eastern ND the wind tends to be even worse than it is around Teddy Roosevelt park.

That’s my experience, anyway. The pit of hell Bermuda Triangle is roughly Grand Forks/Minot/Fargo 😂

The snowplow pic I posted was from around Richardton ND on April 14, 2022.

Ok, so it’s pretty cold out there. But in my experience, east of Dickinson is where it tends to really get cold. Not always, but tends. And the in eastern ND the wind tends to be even worse than it is around Teddy Roosevelt park.

That’s my experience, anyway. The pit of hell Bermuda Triangle is roughly Grand Forks/Minot/Fargo 😂

The snowplow pic I posted was from around Richardton ND on April 14, 2022.
Again...
1695246571755.png

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
Great info, I really appreciate it !
Any opinion on raising a young family in that area? Schools and etc ?
My info on schools is dated as my youngest is now 31. When we moved to SE Idaho we found the schools much more conservative than in Oregon which is part of why we moved. I think they are still that way but can't really say. Overall quality of education is good.

Touching on a topic someone else brought up but related to raising kids in the area is that SE Idaho has almost as high a percentage of LDS members as Utah. Good side is they are conservative, focused on family values and decent people. However, some tend to look down on non-LDS people. I had great friends who were LDS and worked with others who, when they learned I was not LDS, minimized their interactions with me. You could say it is much like political leanings, some people won't like you if you are conservative.

They're literally fighting that bullshit law in court today. The trial is until the end of this week IIRC. It's too bad that all the nice states are getting screwed by Demoncrats.
Well that makes it all better now doesn't it?

My info on schools is dated as my youngest is now 31. When we moved to SE Idaho we found the schools much more conservative than in Oregon which is part of why we moved. I think they are still that way but can't really say. Overall quality of education is good.

Touching on a topic someone else brought up but related to raising kids in the area is that SE Idaho has almost as high a percentage of LDS members as Utah. Good side is they are conservative, focused on family values and decent people. However, some tend to look down on non-LDS people. I had great friends who were LDS and worked with others who, when they learned I was not LDS, minimized their interactions with me. You could say it is much like political leanings, some people won't like you if you are conservative.
Yeah that part of Idaho is 10,000% Mormon. Also they network on a crazy level so word gets around fast.

Reactions: acpchuck
After 40 years of seven month winters we moved from Alaska to Lewiston, ID eight years ago. The place has certainly grown in that time but I'm not seeing the political doom and gloom people like to talk about.
I've seen pickups with CA plates, parked at Sportsmans Warehouse and at least one with a Trump bumper sticker.
There was a newly arrived couple from CA at Boomershoot last spring, they thought it was great.
In Idaho in 2016 Trump got 409,055 votes or 59%.
From 2016 to 2020 the population increased by 165,000.
In 2020 Trump got 554,119 votes or 64%.
The population is increasing everywhere, the best you can hope for is the"right" people become your neighbors.
My wife and I flew into Anchorage a few years back and rented an suv. We drove to Denali and then down to the Kenai peninsula and slept in the back of the suv the entire 8 day trip. It was September and we loved it. But that 7 month winter you talk about kept us from moving up there.

Reactions: Bender
Here’s last winter. Bring a loader, or five, because even the plow train gets stuck for days. Don’t forget to pack a duffel.

ETA: That’s not even some obscure canyon or heavy high altitude mountain snow, that’s open prairie at under 4000 ft elevation with open corn fields on both sides.

View attachment 8232079
And Bubba thinks he's gonna bug out to the mountains when shtf comes .........gonna be a lot of frozen corpses with really nice backpacks laying around .

I should be more clear, I would be looking to spend around $350k-$400k in Casper/Cheyenne and up to $500k in some of the other cities and states like salt lake, boise etc. I know jobs don't pay as much in wyoming as they do in other states so you are right , $500k might be a little too pricey for me there.
Unless you own a chain of furniture stores this does not compute.

Or maybe you bought a house in California for $30K decades ago and are selling it now for $700,000

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho have had well over 100,000 California scumbags move into our area. There are enough California scumbags that Kootenai county just got a Cali sheriff. Home prices are still climbing and my property taxes climbed at over 20% a year for the last three years. Consequently, my government services have gotten worse and there is absolutely no improvement in services for nearly double what I paid just four years ago. Where the fuck did this money go?

Assholes with cell phones and decals from shitty Cali sports teams are sitting at every traffic light updating their status to "blocking fucking traffic" all day long, hahahaha. They are building 1,500 new homes in my part of the county and adding 3,500 new apartments with no improvements in roads, no sidewalks because it is the "county", no improvement in sewer or water infrastructure and no new fire stations or police presence. Apparently, they have no intention of doing anything, they are literally telling people to conserve water and not irrigate yards as a solution to the problems. The real problem is that there is no water shortage here and never will be. We live over an aquifer with 10 TRILLION gallons of water and it refills at a rate of 300 million gallons a day. Communists arrive and suddenly climate change had made 250 years worth of ground water disappear.

Fuck California scumbags.

If you are looking for new in Cheyenne, you need to move up the budget. There are several older homes that fall in the 3-4 range but they are going to need some work.

I should be more clear, I would be looking to spend around $350k-$400k in Casper/Cheyenne and up to $500k in some of the other cities and states like salt lake, boise etc. I know jobs don't pay as much in wyoming as they do in other states so you are right , $500k might be a little too pricey for me there.
Bro you ain't getting jack squat in Utah but a crack house for 500k in the few meth or homeless encamped neighborhoods....good luck with that you need a solid 700k to be in a semi decent hood

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
Please help a fellow hide member out !
I have a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 car garage and a 30x35 shop for sale in Lewiston, ID. Great location in town. We can negotiate on just how much I am willing to help a fellow.

Lewiston has fantastic weather, 2 rivers that people from all over the world come to fish. A jet boat ride gets you deep into Hells Canyon. You can find places to shoot at distances nobody on this forum can be accurate at without a forward observer and a crew served weapon. While the hunting is not even close to being as good as it was in the 70's and 80's, it is still far better than almost everywhere else I've been except for the Last Frontier (different game).

Lewiston is small enough and off the interstates far enough that costs have always been a bit higher.

The presence of libtards is fast on the rise. However, the pulp mill smell and the bare hills does help deter those looking for their mountain fantasy.

Bro you ain't getting jack squat in Utah but a crack house for 500k in the few meth or homeless encamped neighborhoods....good luck with that you need a solid 700k to be in a semi decent hood see some

Bro you ain't getting jack squat in Utah but a crack house for 500k in the few meth or homeless encamped neighborhoods....good luck with that you need a solid 700k to be in a semi decent hood
Zillow has quite a few 400k-$500k houses listed in the Salt Lake city area. What parts of Salt Lake are the bad areas with meth labs? What are the decent areas good for family?

What kind of work do you do?

Reactions: Huskydriver
Here’s my real question. Why do you really want or feel the need to move? TN is plenty 2A friendly as well as a good overall conservative state. You sound to have a good job that likely took you a good bit of time with the company to move up to regional manager, so this move talk is probably not for work reasons.

Nashville is expensive, absolutely, but so are all the other cities you’ll have to be near or in when working in sales. Have family nearby? So important to have when raising a new family, and can be very damaging to relationships if you move and lose that closeness.

Moving involves cutting so many ties, starting on the bottom at a new job, $10-$15k just to get there and set up the new home, nothing about it is cheap and better be well worth it. How does the wife and in-laws feel? Would a move to a different neighborhood or town achieve the same goal without uprooting your family’s entire way of life?

There’s a lot more questions to answer when looking to move than “Is the new state in line with my values?”

And this is coming from someone who’s moved a dozen times across six states spanning NC, FL, UT, TN, VA and WY since I first had kids. It’s a massive fucking deal and the grass isn’t always greener.

Here’s my real question. Why do you really want or feel the need to move? TN is plenty 2A friendly as well as a good overall conservative state. You sound to have a good job that likely took you a good bit of time with the company to move up to regional manager, so this move talk is probably not for work reasons.

Nashville is expensive, absolutely, but so are all the other cities you’ll have to be near or in when working in sales. Have family nearby? So important to have when raising a new family, and can be very damaging to relationships if you move and lose that closeness.

Moving involves cutting so many ties, starting on the bottom at a new job, $10-$15k just to get there and set up the new home, nothing about it is cheap and better be well worth it. How does the wife and in-laws feel? Would a move to a different neighborhood or town achieve the same goal without uprooting your family’s entire way of life?

There’s a lot more questions to answer when looking to move than “Is the new state in line with my values?”

And this is coming from someone who’s moved a dozen times across six states spanning NC, FL, UT, TN, VA and WY since I first had kids. It’s a massive fucking deal and the grass isn’t always greener.

Knowing what I know now I wish I would’ve stayed in Northern California. The grass isn’t always as greener as you think it is.

The term is don't "Jump from the frying pan into the fire".

The Treasure Valley and Idaho in general is already overburdened. Its infrastructure isn't designed to sustain the current population boom, and we're seeing the effects on our water table. This is a high desert; resources are finite.

Additionally, I get that people claim to be conservative when they move here. But there's a cultural and political fabric in Idaho that's hard to understand if you haven't lived it. Having an Idaho license plate isn't enough to make you an Idahoan.

In short, if you're thinking about moving here, you might want to reconsider. The idea of owning land and livestock is becoming a distant dream for most, unless you've got deep pockets. And even then, are you really contributing to the community, or just adding to the strain?

All very good points and questions for me and anyone else thinking of making this type of move. We do not have family keeping us here in Tennessee. Wife is on board and wants to move back out west, she is from Phoenix. We both do not like hot weather, much prefer the cold to cool . Tennessee has virtually no gun hunting opportunities unless you pay to hunt on private land or have private land which is big dollars. Even though I am sure it is not easy to navigate blm land and get out in the desert and mountains, atleast living in the areas I have listed gives me and the family a shot to experience the great outdoors with a bit of possible freedom.

Looks like the best bet to renting a 2000sqft -2500sqft home would be in the salt lake city or boise areas . Both places look like there are quite a few homes available for around $2000 a month rent.

Most homes in my area are 3-3.5k rent....

All very good points and questions for me and anyone else thinking of making this type of move. We do not have family keeping us here in Tennessee. Wife is on board and wants to move back out west, she is from Phoenix. We both do not like hot weather, much prefer the cold to cool . Tennessee has virtually no gun hunting opportunities unless you pay to hunt on private land or have private land which is big dollars. Even though I am sure it is not easy to navigate blm land and get out in the desert and mountains, atleast living in the areas I have listed gives me and the family a shot to experience the great outdoors with a bit of possible freedom.
And the smoky mountains IMHO just do not compare to the mountains out
west!

Reactions: carbonbased

Out of the places you lived what made you keep moving? Why did you leave Utah?

One of my Dr. of Psychology friends shared this with me.
When heading off into the unknown visualize the very worst the situation could turn out...... Then ..... Visualize the very best the situation could turn out.
The reality is it will turn out somewhere in between.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382
When heading off into the unknown visualize the very worst the situation could turn out...... Then ..... Visualize the very best the situation could turn out.
Ha! Then my:

Very Best Situation will always be: I am God-King with a 2600 Virgin-Slave Harem

Worst Situation will always be: Billionaire

Can’t wait!

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Not for me.

It will ALWAYS be even worse than I could ever imagine.

Out of the places you lived what made you keep moving? Why did you leave Utah?
Work, ex, work again, ex again, finally despised the east enough moved for once to where I wanted to live versus someone else.

I'm half way between my family and my wife's family. We compromised that way, and also got the advantage of never having family just pop over unannounced.

Northern Utah is nice if you like cities and want things like restaurants, shopping, airports, nightlife, concerts and other special events, that sort of shit while having the great outdoors a short drive away. I fucking hate cities and the company I work for has zero operations in the state, so I'm perfectly happy where I am.

True story, just last month the wife and I were driving across Nebraska to hide out in a nice little place in the sticks on the Missouri River. Our fastest route would have taken us through the outskirts of little old Lincoln, and we drove an hour out of our way to not go through Lincoln because even that is too big of a city for us to want to put up with if we can possibly avoid it. We already knew we had a night in Omaha coming up the same weekend, but that was worth it to see a triple bill show of Alice Cooper, Def Leppard and Motley Crüe. There's what gets us to a city and not much less, our tolerance for city life bullshit is very low and must be made only necessary.

I'm dreading next week where I have to spend five days in the suburbs of KC for work. That and I hate KC BBQ the way they want to serve it. Yep, I went there KC fans, your sauce sucks. Learn how to let the dry rub be the ultimate flavoring instead of dunking it in liquid sugar to ruin all the best smoke and crusting. They instantly know I'm from out of town when I tell them no sauce, and I'm proud of it. Enough side tracking though...

There is absolutely nothing wrong in my mind with living 80 miles away from the nearest WalMart, and residing in a county the size of Rhode Island with a population of a couple NYC blocks. We're both happy we have careers that living in a rural setting is actually an advantage, and also both glad this type of lifestyle is not for 95% of those out there.

The one major downside to living in some of these more remote areas is access to better medical care. Might not be much of an issue when you are younger but if you need any kind of specialized or advanced care, you won’t find it in a small town. Even in Cheyenne they kept sending my father down to Denver because they could not handle his specific issues. What initially brought me to Southern California were the medical needs of my son.

You must have been somewhere other than MN for the last 2 winters because the snow and cold were fucking brutal.
Naw, but I work from home so I don’t have to commute in it as much anymore. I know last winter was snowy, but as someone from ND, I have a rather high bar for a bad winter. If it stays above -30°F air temp, I’m good.

P.S. I’m not near Grand Fucking Forks/Fargo-Moorhead/Warroad (whew) so perhaps it was worse up there?

Reactions: goinghunting
Work, ex, work again, ex again, finally despised the east enough moved for once to where I wanted to live versus someone else.

I'm half way between my family and my wife's family. We compromised that way, and also got the advantage of never having family just pop over unannounced.

Northern Utah is nice if you like cities and want things like restaurants, shopping, airports, nightlife, concerts and other special events, that sort of shit while having the great outdoors a short drive away. I fucking hate cities and the company I work for has zero operations in the state, so I'm perfectly happy where I am.

True story, just last month the wife and I were driving across Nebraska to hide out in a nice little place in the sticks on the Missouri River. Our fastest route would have taken us through the outskirts of little old Lincoln, and we drove an hour out of our way to not go through Lincoln because even that is too big of a city for us to want to put up with if we can possibly avoid it. We already knew we had a night in Omaha coming up the same weekend, but that was worth it to see a triple bill show of Alice Cooper, Def Leppard and Motley Crüe. There's what gets us to a city and not much less, our tolerance for city life bullshit is very low and must be made only necessary.

I'm dreading next week where I have to spend five days in the suburbs of KC for work. That and I hate KC BBQ the way they want to serve it. Yep, I went there KC fans, your sauce sucks. Learn how to let the dry rub be the ultimate flavoring instead of dunking it in liquid sugar to ruin all the best smoke and crusting. They instantly know I'm from out of town when I tell them no sauce, and I'm proud of it. Enough side tracking though...

There is absolutely nothing wrong in my mind with living 80 miles away from the nearest WalMart, and residing in a county the size of Rhode Island with a population of a couple NYC blocks. We're both happy we have careers that living in a rural setting is actually an advantage, and also both glad this type of lifestyle is not for 95% of those out there.
Check out slaps. It’s pretty good. I hate saucy bbq and I live close to KC. It’s the only bbq place I’ll go in the city.

What kind of work? Where at?
One old mountain man’s woman vanished, so we have one opening for “mountain man’s woman”, must be willing to work nights and weekends.

The other opening is potato picker. That’s seasonal.
😜

The one major downside to living in some of these more remote areas is access to better medical care. Might not be much of an issue when you are younger but if you need any kind of specialized or advanced care, you won’t find it in a small town. Even in Cheyenne they kept sending my father down to Denver because they could not handle his specific issues. What initially brought me to Southern California were the medical needs of my son.
You are correct. I am seeing it more so after the pandemic. I sum it all up by saying I pay a premium price for second tier medical care. I don't know if the migration to rural areas has over loaded medical facilities or if it is this way everywhere. One of my older Doctor's told me the medical world makes their money by doing "testing". In my cases I would agree. A lot of testing without any solutions.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Don't hold back!

There is truth to what you are saying...but come on and be completely clean...Spokompton has been a shithole since before the Worlds Fair and The Evergreen State has been in a downward libtard spiral for over 50 years. The more recent influx has made almost zero difference.

Now, just a few miles east, is a place where the recent invasion is very noticeable.
I refer to the open air mental hospital up north as Spokanistan

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208