• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Rules of the Southern life (if this don’t incite a riot, you men are asleep).

Pretty Dammed OLD! 3/4 century and working on making it the full 100+.

Best part, I have been blessed with fine health, am in good shape and still enjoy shooting, cycling and sailing. Going to PRS matches, is a guaranteed Lantern Rouge award, but better me to finish last than some struggling new comer. I won my share of matches in IHMSA so, its somebody else’s turn.

And even though I live in Oregon, which I understand is very Yankee of me, can we still be friends? You bein’ a Johnny Reb and all?

P

Reactions: acpchuck
Naw
All this time we been on SH together. I did not know you were THE WillK.

I shot with the boys in Conover NC. Went to regionals in Lincolnton GA and Jackson MS.

Just looked. You aint been on the Hide long as I thought.
Naw, was kinda in limbo as far as shooting after I had the double whammy of breaking my hand after a fall whilehelping Charlie B. get a range ready for a match and then broke my back moving a battery from a sailboat to the dock. (Last time I ever wore those boots, slipped right off the dock, hit my right side on the edge of a dock and nearly took out that kidney and fractured a couple of Vertebrae.) From that point on, I just could not hold an XP or any other handgun steady. Then, because we were all getting older, the only match left quit using falling targets, went to a light system, that really did not work, so, between it being rather uncomfortable to do Creedmoor, not being able to hold the handgun steady, not getting the pleasure of seeing the targets do anything but sit there, I had to find something else.

Purchased an RPR in 2017, really liked it but never could get sight settings past 300 yards. That got old quick. Finally discovered a ballistic program, and in December of 2019, at Altus in Florida, dialed in what I thought was a 600 yard target, saw the miss, dialed in for 700 yards and got to see the target react, and hear it hit. Dialed in 800 yards and hit that target, and I was hooked.

Then we were stuck at our son’s in Florida during Covid, and became more interested in PRS and as i could actually have fun shooting again, I just kept buying books and reading stuff and then got hooked here. Kinda a dangerous place. But, I’ve been on Sailing Anarchy since 2003 and that place is exceptionally vicious (or at least used to be) so I was used to keeping my mouth shut and not saying anything stupid. Are you asleep yet?

Jackson was a fun place to shoot. My favorite match was tying Philip Braud For the UAS championship. He was spotting for me. Shot of the lifetime during that match. Released the sear before I wanted to. Hit the rear leg and knocked the ram off of the rail. Yes, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

So, now that I have bored the entire world and used up more than my allotment of electrons, what have you been up to?

Shot of the lifetime during that match. Released the sear before I wanted to. Hit the rear leg and knocked the ram off of the rail. Yes, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
Reminds me of how a good guitarist will hit the wrong note. Come around play that wrong note again to make people think he did that on purpose and this must be the "jazz" version.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Naw

Naw, was kinda in limbo as far as shooting after I had the double whammy of breaking my hand after a fall whilehelping Charlie B. get a range ready for a match and then broke my back moving a battery from a sailboat to the dock. (Last time I ever wore those boots, slipped right off the dock, hit my right side on the edge of a dock and nearly took out that kidney and fractured a couple of Vertebrae.) From that point on, I just could not hold an XP or any other handgun steady. Then, because we were all getting older, the only match left quit using falling targets, went to a light system, that really did not work, so, between it being rather uncomfortable to do Creedmoor, not being able to hold the handgun steady, not getting the pleasure of seeing the targets do anything but sit there, I had to find something else.

Purchased an RPR in 2017, really liked it but never could get sight settings past 300 yards. That got old quick. Finally discovered a ballistic program, and in December of 2019, at Altus in Florida, dialed in what I thought was a 600 yard target, saw the miss, dialed in for 700 yards and got to see the target react, and hear it hit. Dialed in 800 yards and hit that target, and I was hooked.

Then we were stuck at our son’s in Florida during Covid, and became more interested in PRS and as i could actually have fun shooting again, I just kept buying books and reading stuff and then got hooked here. Kinda a dangerous place. But, I’ve been on Sailing Anarchy since 2003 and that place is exceptionally vicious (or at least used to be) so I was used to keeping my mouth shut and not saying anything stupid. Are you asleep yet?

Jackson was a fun place to shoot. My favorite match was tying Philip Braud For the UAS championship. He was spotting for me. Shot of the lifetime during that match. Released the sear before I wanted to. Hit the rear leg and knocked the ram off of the rail. Yes, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

So, now that I have bored the entire world and used up more than my allotment of electrons, what have you been up to?
Me and Roe quit running IHMSA in 2010 and went full time running our 22TSC match. We were also shooting a lot of DMM matches. I got down in 2015 and never really got back up. Then it was a string of surgeries I never really recovered from.

Yeah 2009 in Jackson was the highlight of my shooting career. I shot that pretty famous "fiddy-nine" in UAS.
I did win US champion in 2010 but....still wasn't as great as that fiddy-nine.
I'm just glad I'm a has been instead of a never was 😅.

Know that feeling. It took me a long time of shooting 39x39’s rounding up with a 39x40 Before finally getting that first 40x40. Our matches in Jackson Parish started out well but being in the middle of the woods, attendance fell off quickly. Finally gave up and Dugdemona Silhouette died. Range lost the lease and that was that.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
There are times in South Louisiana where people in North Louisiana could be called a Yankee..... It's a different world. ;)
"Laissez les bons temps rouler”
I always was under the impression that Cajun Country stopped at I-10 with deference to my cousin who lives 1-mile north of I-10.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I always was under the impression that Cajun Country stopped at I-10 with deference to my cousin who lives 1-mile north of I-10.
Well, you can take the boy out of Cajun country but you can't take Cajun country out of the boy.....
Should be a good game this weekend.... Go Tigers

Man I wish southerners would stop going on about their BBQ as if the rest of the country doesn't have the ability to boil some ribs and slap on some Sweet Baby Rays...
Best BBQ I've ever had was in Easton, Maryland (Talbots Smokehouse), followed by Kansas City (Char Bar), and St. Louis (papy's). Non of which could be considered the south haha.

From the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes"-

"That is the best barbecue I have ever tasted."

"The secret's in the sauce."

North of Alexandria, LA, pine trees and red clay soil is the northern border.
Maybe so, but you provide the shrimp and red fish and we supply the cotton for the jeans for you to wear while out fishing or shrimping and trees to build your house and boat docks.

But Damn it, why can’t I find Louisiana grown sugar. When visiting your environs I see plenty of cane fields but when I go to the store, the sugar comes from Iowa or some other place. Y’all hoggin it all for yourselves?

Oh, and y’all need to do something about Lafayette. Driving through there is a mess, and i need to take my Time Trial Bike to Precision Bikes to get it looked after.

Maybe so, but you provide the shrimp and red fish and we supply the cotton for the jeans for you to wear while out fishing or shrimping and trees to build your house and boat docks.

But Damn it, why can’t I find Louisiana grown sugar. When visiting your environs I see plenty of cane fields but when I go to the store, the sugar comes from Iowa or some other place. Y’all hoggin it all for yourselves?

Oh, and y’all need to do something about Lafayette. Driving through there is a mess, and i need to take my Time Trial Bike to Precision Bikes to get it looked after.
Our Chalmette Refinery, which has been operating on the banks of the Mississippi River since 1909, produces 7 million pounds of sugar per day, which it packages into 70 types, grades and package sizes of premium sugar products. The Louisiana refinery is one of the region’s largest employers, providing more than 400 direct jobs and supporting an additional 100.

Tried ordering brisket in Nashville. Was advised to go to Texas. (Um, ok. Deal). Now you tell me ribs ain't BBQ? Can I please have something ither than dried out yardbird and sauce, seems like that's about the only option left... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No, they told you to go to Tex's, it's on Foster Ave., the place for brisket in Nashville, the acceptable reply would be, "Can I get there from here??"
Don't know where you got dried out yardbird and sauce but I wouldn't go back, they can't smoke meat, properly prepared brined and smoked chicken is always juicy and fall apart tender!!
14. You don’t eat at Cracker Barrel. You eat at THE Cracker Barrel.
You don’t shop at Piggly Wiggly. You shop at THE Piggly Wiggly. Every place has “the “ in front of it regardless if it’s in the title or not.
You confirm where you're from if you say you were on The 65, The 24, or The 40!!

Last edited:
If you're far enough away from a city that you're able to shoot, we have plenty of forward observers and can always use more!!!

I have a pistol range in my back yard and I shoot out to 800 yards by the pond at the bottom of the hill. The farmer gave me permission years ago on the condition that I kill every nutria I see.

Good deal.

P

Reactions: mtrmn
I have a pistol range in my back yard and I shoot out to 800 yards by the pond at the bottom of the hill. The farmer gave me permission years ago on the condition that I kill every nutria I see.

Good deal.

P
Do they taste like chicken?
Asking for a friend.

This is very confusing…

IMG_7077.jpeg

So, a bit gamy. Have to sautee them light and fast and get off the heat.

Soak ‘em in salt water overnight, then drain the water and put them in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and taters. Carrots, too, if’n’ you lean thataway. I don’t.

P

• Love
Reactions: Ronws
The trick to cooking and eating possum is to put them in a pan with potatoes packed around them... Cook on low heat for 2 hours. Then remove from the oven and throw away the potatoes.

Repeat that step 2 more times.

Final step is to pack in potatoes again and cook on low heat for 3 hours.

Remove from oven. Throw away the possum and eat the potatoes.

After spending several years running traplines... I would have to be on the verge of starvation before I would eat a possum... The only animal I've ever seen (besides vultures) that would eat possum is a feral cat... And it looked to be on the verge of starvation.

They're fascinating little critters and they have their place... But on my dinner table ain't it.

Mike

Speaking of southern cooking, what is the thing about Poke Salat? You have to boil and rinse three times to eat it.

So, someone eats it and gets sick.

Instead of rejecting it, he thinks, maybe I should cook it in some hot water and then rinse it off.

He eats it and gets sick. He thinks maybe it didn't cook it long enough. So, he cooks it the second time. And he gets sick. And decides it needs to cook a third time.

What kind of person would think to cook again something that is making you sick? And who would think, yeah, I will eat that?

Speaking of southern cooking, what is the thing about Poke Salat? You have to boil and rinse three times to eat it.

Instead of rejecting it, he thinks, maybe I should cook it in some hot water and then rinse it off.

He eats it and gets sick. He thinks maybe it didn't cook it long enough. So, he cooks it the second time. And he gets sick. And decides it needs to cook a third time.

What kind of person would think to cook again something that is making you sick? And who would think, yeah, I will eat that?
It was survival food. Eaten by the very poor in hard times and it just kind of became part of the culture... It's also one of the first plants to come up in Spring.

I picked it with my grandparents a few times. Grandma would boil it the required 3 times and then add onion and bacon/grease. It was actually pretty tasty.

Pretty sure every culture has some food that everyone questions... My wife's ex's family was of Norwegian persuasion. And every big get-together someone would make and bring Lutefisk. My wife said she barfed for 30 minutes after trying it.

The funny thing is I watched a documentary about Norway and Lutefisk was addressed... Everyone said they don't eat that shit anymore because they don't have to for survival. Lol

Mike

It was survival food. Eaten by the very poor in hard times and it just kind of became part of the culture... It's also one of the first plants to come up in Spring.

I picked it with my grandparents a few times. Grandma would boil it the required 3 times and then add onion and bacon/grease. It was actually pretty tasty.

Pretty sure every culture has some food that everyone questions... My wife's ex's family was of Norwegian persuasion. And every big get-together someone would make and bring Lutefisk. My wife said she barfed for 30 minutes after trying it.

The funny thing is I watched a documentary about Norway and Lutefisk was addressed... Everyone said they don't eat that shit anymore because they don't have to for survival. Lol

Mike
Yeah, I figured. Just like the reasons that people developed head chease and haggis.

Reactions: OkieMike

Mike
I mean... Lutefisk is pretty tame as far as hideous, potentially toxic preserved fish goes. Is "just" cod cured with lye. Kinda gelatinous, doesn't really taste of much, and mainly a good excuse to drink aquavit during Christmas dinner... (Only time anyone ever eats the stuff any more)

At least in the Scandinavian countries, the crown for worst has to be between Surströmning (Swedish fermented herring in a can) or Hakärl (Icelandic fermented shark).

Mike

Sirhr

Reactions: Ronws and mtrmn

Kind of like humans figuring out mushrooms! “That one kill Zog. That one make me see colors for three days. This one is really good on grilled mammoth.”

Yup… amazing we made it as a species!

Sirhr

Man I wish southerners would stop going on about their BBQ as if the rest of the country doesn't have the ability to boil some ribs and slap on some Sweet Baby Rays...
Well the southern food are really delicious amongst other things.

It was survival food. Eaten by the very poor in hard times and it just kind of became part of the culture...

Mike

Lobster was “poor people” survival food in New England for centuries. Fed to prisoners of war on prison ships. Considered fit only for wastrels…

Now a delicacy and spendy.

Kale (nasty shit) was decor in salad bars… crap greens to cover up the ice cubes. Now it’s some kind of holy Manna for retarded vegans. Nasty roughage.

Port wine was invented to make rough, undrinkable Spanish wine palatable when England was at war with France, which wouldn’t sell the Brit’s their Bordeaux.

One day it’s survival food… the next it’s on the menu at Tavern on the Green and people pay through the nose for it.

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: Ronws and Pbgt
Kind of like humans figuring out mushrooms! “That one kill Zog. That one make me see colors for three days. This one is really good on grilled mammoth.”

Yup… amazing we made it as a species!

Sirhr
Everything is edible, but some things are only edible once. Nobody liked Zog anyway.

I remember reading a list of steps to test whether an unknown item was safe to eat or not. I don't remember where... SAS Survival Guide maybe...

It was pretty involved and not an ordeal I would want to go through if I was already at the stage of dangerously malnourished.

Mike

Lobster was “poor people” survival food in New England for centuries. Fed to prisoners of war on prison ships. Considered fit only for wastrels…

Now a delicacy and spendy.

Kale (nasty shit) was decor in salad bars… crap greens to cover up the ice cubes. Now it’s some kind of holy Manna for retarded vegans. Nasty roughage.

Port wine was invented to make rough, undrinkable Spanish wine palatable when England was at war with France, which wouldn’t sell the Brit’s their Bordeaux.

One day it’s survival food… the next it’s on the menu at Tavern on the Green and people pay through the nose for it.

Sirhr
I want to know who decided oysters/shellfish were cool to eat...

"If you break these things open, they're full of snot that you can eat... Most of the time."

I'll eat kale. But it has to be fresh. It isn't ever what I would call tender to start with... But it gets progressively more bitter and tougher to chew after a matter of hours.

Mike

Yep idk if ive ever had bad bbq. Its not that hard. Football is gay, bunch of big dudes in tights playing grabass. Ill stay in Ohio but i do like to visit from time to time.
There’s an easy way to make bad BBQ. Come to NC and taste the vinegar shit they put on it. I have to ask every time I get it here to make sure it’s the good stuff like every other state manages to make.

Reactions: kindabitey
Maybe im easy to please because i dont think ive ever had a bbq sauce i dont like including the vinegar. I do prefer a spicy sauce but i like it all

Reactions: OkieMike