• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Increasing .22 ammo accuracy on a budget- PNW Hillbilly hack- Anyone up for a challenge?

You know what's fun?
Folk's repeating the "same old same old", without taking the time to thoroughly check for themselves.
Topics like hi-v 22lr and supersonic transition, sorting cartridges, brand affinities and lubricants.
Either it's something one read in a forum discussion, or had a random act of accuracy occur
but rarely is based on a serious attempt to understand what actually takes place.

Eley states the lubricant used is to facilitate chambering.
Also states it has minimal effect on accuracy.
Why would Eley, a top manufacturer of competition rimfire cartridges, make that statement?
Could they know more than y'er typical rimfire amateur regarding the use of lubricants on bullets?

Try reading the linked comment from the Eley site...

Why is lubricant a non-issue for improving accuracy?
Is it the burn residue deposited in the barrel after each shot?
Is the residue wet, or dry? How will that affect the next shot?
Will lubricant fix dents, dings, chips, bullet asymmetry or powder/primer variations?
Will changing lubricant prevent wind effects or is it just another bit of optimism
that rimfire hobbyists apply in an attempt to find some method
to make rimfire better than it actually is as it rolls off the assembly line?

I go with optimism. If it actually worked, the folks that compete at the top levels of benchrest 22lr
would have already produced dissertations with documented data and the math/graphs to back it up.

That ain't happening. Not at all.

Did you know that lead is a lubricant?

Have I tried improving results with different lubricants?
Of course. Can't offer a useful opinion without trying it first, right?
What did I learn? You can't fix crappy rimfire ammunition. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ Dan and Turbo2
You know what's fun?
Folk's repeating the "same old same old", without taking the time to thoroughly check for themselves.
Topics like hi-v 22lr and supersonic transition, sorting cartridges, brand affinities and lubricants.
Either it's something one read in a forum discussion, or had a random act of accuracy occur
but rarely is based on a serious attempt to understand what actually takes place.

Eley states the lubricant used is to facilitate chambering.
Also states it has minimal effect on accuracy.
Why would Eley, a top manufacturer of competition rimfire cartridges, make that statement?
Could they know more than y'er typical rimfire amateur regarding the use of lubricants on bullets?

Try reading the linked comment from the Eley site...

Why is lubricant a non-issue for improving accuracy?
Is it the burn residue deposited in the barrel after each shot?
Is the residue wet, or dry? How will that affect the next shot?
Will lubricant fix dents, dings, chips, bullet asymmetry or powder/primer variations?
Will changing lubricant prevent wind effects or is it just another bit of optimism
that rimfire hobbyists apply in an attempt to find some method
to make rimfire better than it actually is as it rolls off the assembly line?

I go with optimism. If it actually worked, the folks that compete at the top levels of benchrest 22lr
would have already produced dissertations with documented data and the math/graphs to back it up.

That ain't happening. Not at all.

Did you know that lead is a lubricant?

Have I tried improving results with different lubricants?
Of course. Can't offer a useful opinion without trying it first, right?
What did I learn? You can't fix crappy rimfire ammunition. :(
I can’t find a link I can share, but Applied Ballistics recently posted (on FB) a short video of a .22LR exiting a barrel and passing over a tape measure. It illustrates graphically what we are dealing with, as the round exits with an uneven rim of spooge (powder/lube residue) which shears away either from centrifugal force or air resistance at about the 10in point. I think there is a lot to learn from such clips if more becomes available from different angles as well as if filmed in other bandwidths such as IR.

Don't need a video to see that.
Slug the bore immediately after firing 5 shots.
Push the slug from chamber to muzzle and
You can see exactly how much wet burn residue
is deposited in the bore and how a bullet pushes it out.
I did so several times to learn how much "mud" is produced
and to find out if silica grit was part of it's components.

That mud creates the muzzle star we see on the rifle barrel.
The wet residue is distributed explosively from the grooves as the bullet exits the muzzle.
The mud carries more than ten feet from the muzzle in an expanding cone
I find it all over the top and front of my chronograph setup.

Last edited: