• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Insane Motorcycle Race - Isle of Man

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    I like fast bikes and have owned a couple of ZX-10's and an H2 but this is pure insanity.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TN3MFLwlsEg&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TN3MFLwlsEg&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Insane Motorcycle Race - Isle of Man

Why do they wiggle so much when they land? Scary stuff.

Reminds me of the ghost rider vids. Crazy stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do they wiggle so much when they land? Scary stuff.</div></div> When You unload the frt end on a bike with a short rake on the forks, it induces a wobble. This negative rake, also gives a bike very fast turn in which makes for great racetrack handling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do they wiggle so much when they land? Scary stuff.</div></div> When You unload the frt end on a bike with a short rake on the forks, it induces a wobble. This negative rake, also gives a bike very fast turn in which makes for great racetrack handling. </div></div>

Thanks for explaining it.

Thats one of the better Isle of Mann vids I've seen, minus the music. It's good to know that in all the other bullshit of this world there are still places that don't raise children with knee pads and helmets.

That is insane, nice post 168

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do they wiggle so much when they land? Scary stuff.</div></div> When You unload the frt end on a bike with a short rake on the forks, it induces a wobble. This negative rake, also gives a bike very fast turn in which makes for great racetrack handling. </div></div>I'm sure some of it has to do with not maintaining a perfectly straight line while <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">flying your bike through the air</span></span>. That, going way too f'ing fast and what Mac said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is insane, nice post 168

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do they wiggle so much when they land? Scary stuff.</div></div> When You unload the frt end on a bike with a short rake on the forks, it induces a wobble. This negative rake, also gives a bike very fast turn in which makes for great racetrack handling. </div></div>I'm sure some of it has to do with not maintaining a perfectly straight line while <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">flying your bike through the air</span></span>, that, going way too f'ing fast and what Mac said. </div></div>LOL...Fuckin-A!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is insane, nice post 168

I'm sure some of it has to do with not maintaining a perfectly straight line while <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">flying your bike through the air</span></span>. That, going way too f'ing fast and what Mac said. </div></div>

Thanks, I like to ride fast but that's way too fast. I noticed most of those bikes start to shake as soon as the back tire touches the ground again, before the front tire touches down. It kind of reminds me of driving a blown flat bottom boat on a lake with a little chop, nothing a little more throttle won't fix.

Truely the freaks of the bike racing world! Awesome

A couple of years back I did the flying thing on my 04 R1.
    Traveling at an indicated 136 mph(at night)launched off a rise in the road, traveled for about .5 seconds give or take. figured about 99 feet or so.
    The bike shimmed for an instant then continued on.
    I had the presence of mind to not touch the brakes, just a steady throttle..
    6769_100269456655774_100000181592061_5111_5954663_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    It kind of reminds me of driving a blown flat bottom boat on a lake with a little chop, nothing a little more throttle won't fix. </div></div>I know that ^ feeling, except just in a flats/bass boat with a jack plate. Running wide open with nothing but the last few inches of the hull and the prop in the water can make your asscheeks pinch the seat pretty good.

My big Connie has more rake than a full on sport bike, so She is pretty stable in an unintentional wheelie. At 700 pounds, it would be a hand full if it got outta shape when it happens..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    It kind of reminds me of driving a blown flat bottom boat on a lake with a little chop, nothing a little more throttle won't fix. </div></div>I know that ^ feeling, except just in a flats/bass boat with a jack plate. Running wide open with nothing but the last few inches of the hull and the prop in the water can make your asscheeks pinch the seat pretty good. </div></div>

Yes you can get a bad case of the clinchy butt, after the run you might have to relax a little bit before your butt cheeks relax enough to let go of the upholstery, with a flat bottom that's what keeps you in the boat.

It takes total commitment. A moment of doubt is when you lose it.

Brings back wild and stupid memories. How I made it this long is a mystery.

wow that gets my blood pumping
    damn i miss those days

long story short
    back in the 90's i was club racing and regional ama/ccs racing
    did very well at the ama/roc in daytona one year
    had a racer with family in ireland that raced the iom every year
    he was putting an group of racer together to go over
    for like 3k they fly you, pay for your entries, house you and get you a bike to ride
    i was one of the invited riders
    but i turned it down
    no money at the time, it was the end of the season i was broke (racing will do that to you)
    boy did i make a mistake with that choice
    story over

what most people dont realize is when your racing at that level
    you have a different perspective on things
    you dont get scared
    you dont have time to
    you react, correct and move forward
    and most of that is unconscious

give a few guiness and ill tell you a few stories
    eek.gif

Enormous brass balls. That's what those rider have. Clanging all the way through every corner.

Holy shit, that guy got messed up. Wonder if he lived? IF so, is he sipping dinner via a straw?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow that gets my blood pumping
    damn i miss those days

long story short
    back in the <span style="color: #FF0000">80's</span> i was club racing what most people dont realize is when your racing at that level
    you dont get scared
    you dont have time to
    </div></div>

Slight editing, and now it's my story..... I was sponsored by the Kawasaki dealer for road & drag racing, and by the Yamaha dealer for motocross. So I'd race moto one day, road the next. Keep in mind that this was in the Eddie Lawson era, so equipment wasn't what it is now. But oh my god it was fun, there is absolutely NOTHING like racing and winning, especially roadracing. The first time you realize that you can drift a Superbike.... your first tabletop over a triple... getting the front wheel into the corner first and stuffing the other guy to the outside (slower) line... banging handlebars over jumps with other riders, and having beer afterward and laughing about it... road rash, pulled muscles, the smell of two-strokes, and the howl of wide-open literbikes all around you on the track. I got hurt badly once, in a stupid low-speed motocross accident. Took me off bikes altogether for a while, what with recovery time and other stuff, and finally surgery about 15 years later made me a new man. So I started riding again, currently on a KTM 990 Adventure, and my mind tells me I can still do things my body says I can't anymore. Gotta be careful.
    I feel sorry for anyone who's never ridden much, it's a whole 'nother world and better than a cage your whole life.

1911fan

The Isle of Man TT is truly awesome, these guys have plums the size of planetiods! After a week of racing the course some of the riders can actually pick out individual faces in the crowd. Have a look at some of the on board footage on you tube of Guy Martin.

A movie of the race was released earlier this year, called TT3D Closer to the Edge, check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit, that guy got messed up. Wonder if he lived? IF so, is he sipping dinner via a straw? </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. He has to hurtin.

I raced flat track for years when younger, like in the late 60s-70s.
    I loved it
    Did a small bit of Speedway in the 80s and liked that but not as much as flat track.
    Now as an Old Fart, when I get out from under a truck while doing repairs and get to my feet, I say to myself,"Damn, that motorsicle racin was fun" as I head to my tool box.
    Google flat track and check it out.
    I still ride once in a while in the +60 class and do better than most.
    Still love it and have plenty of time to recover as I am retired now.
    I use my old Vintage bikes [What the hell did I keep them for if not to enjoy while I can?]
    Regards, FM

Awesome video. Any Idea who the music for the video belongs to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of years back I did the flying thing on my 04 R1.
    Traveling at an indicated 136 mph(at night)launched off a rise in the road, traveled for about .5 seconds give or take. figured about 99 feet or so.
    The bike shimmed for an instant then continued on.
    I had the presence of mind to not touch the brakes, just a steady throttle..
    6769_100269456655774_100000181592061_5111_5954663_n.jpg
    </div></div>

I'm gonna be honest both wheels off the ground is a great feeling on a road bike hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kd185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow that gets my blood pumping
    damn i miss those days

long story short
    back in the <span style="color: #FF0000">80's</span> i was club racing what most people dont realize is when your racing at that level
    you dont get scared
    you dont have time to
    </div></div>

Slight editing, and now it's my story..... I was sponsored by the Kawasaki dealer for road & drag racing, and by the Yamaha dealer for motocross. So I'd race moto one day, road the next. Keep in mind that this was in the Eddie Lawson era, so equipment wasn't what it is now. But oh my god it was fun, there is absolutely NOTHING like racing and winning, especially roadracing. The first time you realize that you can drift a Superbike.... your first tabletop over a triple... getting the front wheel into the corner first and stuffing the other guy to the outside (slower) line... banging handlebars over jumps with other riders, and having beer afterward and laughing about it... road rash, pulled muscles, the smell of two-strokes, and the howl of wide-open literbikes all around you on the track. I got hurt badly once, in a stupid low-speed motocross accident. Took me off bikes altogether for a while, what with recovery time and other stuff, and finally surgery about 15 years later made me a new man. So I started riding again, currently on a KTM 990 Adventure, and my mind tells me I can still do things my body says I can't anymore. Gotta be careful.
    I feel sorry for anyone who's never ridden much, it's a whole 'nother world and better than a cage your whole life.

1911fan</div></div> I sure would like to see some pictures of Your KTM 990. Start a new thread if You must, but I like that bike!

Valentino Rossi did a few laps of the Isle as a guest.
    If I remember correctly, he said, [ Italian Acsent] Dey all crazy, you see in derr eyes.

Guy Martin Rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sure would like to see some pictures of Your KTM 990. Start a new thread if You must, but I like that bike! </div></div>

Here ya go- post up some pics of your Connie, and the places you've been.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2979980&#Post2979980

1911fan

After swapping my last bike for 2lbs of surgical grade titanium, that vid makes my nuts draw up

I was talking to a guy I work with about this video. He races bikes (supermoto) and follows the Isle of Man TT races. He said they had to shut the track down during the May race this year for 3 hours while they looked for the head of a rider killed in a crash. I tried to Googlefu it but couldn't find out anything specific other than 7 riders died in the race or during practice this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After swapping my last bike for 2lbs of surgical grade titanium, that vid makes my nuts draw up</div></div>

Yea, seeing that doesnt have to remind me of my accident... My f'n hip does everyday, lol. Wrecked going over 140mph, broke my collar bone, f'd my hip up. I dont walk with a limp, but the doctors said later in life it will be likely that I will have issues... I rode an 05' Suzuki Hayabusa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How fast are these guys going? Needless to say they have a huge set of brass balls. </div></div>

Their average lap speeds are around 130mph, they exceed 190mph on some parts of the course.

I just read an article about a rider (Guy Martin) that crashed at over 150mph and survived with fairly minor injuries because he was wearing an airbag equipped riding suit. That creates a strange mental picture, I wonder if he looked like the Sta-Puf marshmallow or Michelin man while he was bouncing along.

Some really cool slow motion stuff in this video.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzXoyvvLWo4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzXoyvvLWo4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm just wondering, how many times you have to go to the Isle to memorise all those corners?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just wondering, how many times you have to go to the Isle to memorise all those corners? </div></div>Most riders say that it takes about three years of competition to be able to reach your peak there.

The best 'detail' guys, like McGuinness, have an almost photographic memory for corners. For the rest it's like learning a language, but backwards: The first time you ride it you get the whole thing in your face and it's like drinking from a fire hose (that's what the white dashed line in the middle of road is for). The more you ride it the more the sections of the course begin to get familiar to you. Ride it even more and combinations of corners within those sections trigger your memory of - in general - what comes next. Eventually you end up with some parts that you know really well, and enjoy, and feel comfortable on, with selected corners that you just know the line through, and other parts of the course that completely confound you.

I hear that, if you ever get to know it really well, the parts that you think you are good at begin to confound you again, and the process repeats itself on up through successive learning plateaus.
    IMG_0263.jpg

The Southern 100 Course is a good place to start learning the absence of run-off:
    IMG_0592.jpg

i had a 1993 cbr 900rr we would jump the rail road tracks on well's road in jax florida at about 60-90 mph at 1 am. but that is way out their, i stoped rideing sport bikes when i was doing a wheelie on 295 at about 90-100 mph i came down hard blew the right fork seal and the front farring cracked and was pealed off like a bannana. almost took me out. i sold bike shortly after, had a new baby girl on the way time to hang it up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i came down hard blew the right fork seal</div></div>I think I know this one: So a penguin walks into a bar, see, and the bartender says 'Hey, Penguin, there's something on your face'... Oh, nevermind, that's a different story.
    laugh.gif