• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Installing QD sling sockets in GI M1A stock...

jrhan762

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
I've been modifying a walnut GI stock for an M1A, and I decided to put some Uncle Mike's QD Sockets in the sides. When I measured the cups, they're either going to have to stick out of the stock, or I'll have to drill all the way through and have them stick into the barrel channel. They wouldn't make contact with the barrell or op-rod, but my concern is that they might pull-out or crack the stock under load. The epoxy I am using is Devcon Plastic Steel. I have some AcraGlas, but I'm saving it for the bedding.

Does anyone have any experience/advice/expertise they could throw my way? It would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think the wood would be strong enough. that is why the wood stocks have liners. You may want to look into a USGI fiberglass stock. Or maybe one of the heavier SuperMatch stocks.

Well, I've got a USGI fiberglass model on the way, but I've still got concerns. The main one is that unless the new stock is considerably wider than the wood stock, then the QD cups are still going to have to extend into the barrel channel, will this hurt the integrity of the stock or affect the bond of the cups?

New plan:
The cups are 1/2" dia. by 1/2" deep, but the loop studs only protrude 11/32", with a diameter of 3/8" . To remove as little material as possible from the stock, I am considering milling the bottom 1/4" off of the cups (leaving a ring to actually retain the loop), drilling a 3/8" inch hole to a depth of 11/32" (which will probably still penetrate through, but just barely), and then widening the first 1/4" of the hole to 1/2 inch to accomodate the ring. it's complicated, but I think it'd be better than just drilling a 1/2" hole through the sidewall of the stock. But it all still rides on the epoxy being able to hold the ring in the stock under load. Any thoughts?