• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fockell, http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/ </div></div>
This looks good, Sean!
Good move.

Thanks for all the nice improvements!
We users are grateful!

Sean, I was out at TVP today and used shooter to help with my hits and it worked great when the wind didn't shaft me, so THANKS!

I was using it one the fly to calculate wind corrections and a question came to mind..........

When a cross wind is acting on the bullets traj, does the wind not have a negative effect on elevation? If I enter in a calculation for 1000 and record it, then add a 10 mph op degree cross wind, the elevation does not change. I believe it actually does, since some of the energy is being scrubbed off to move it off its path. I think it would also affect the bullets RPM.

With shooter allowing you to change the wind value on the calculation output screen, and if the calculation could be added to show that correlation, I think that would be excellent data to have.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When a cross wind is acting on the bullets traj, does the wind not have a negative effect on elevation?</div></div>

Why would it in a true horizontal cross-wind? This isn't a wing and has no ability for vertical lift. Now if the wind was an updraft or downdraft, it would surely have an effect on elevation. The problem is that most wind follows the landscape which is typically horizontal. Reading vertical wind is extremely difficult to gauge even in hilly situations and should be something that adjusts your holds for drop when drafts are predictable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I enter in a calculation for 1000 and record it, then add a 10 mph op degree cross wind, the elevation does not change. I believe it actually does, since some of the energy is being scrubbed off to move it off its path. I think it would also affect the bullets RPM.</div></div>

The calculation is using a 90 degree horizontal crosswind. Perpendicular wind will not have an effect on elevation or RPM.

GoinHot's question got me thinking about something I have not spent any real time considering before the question.

In a crosswind we are aiming into the wind to make the shot arrive on-target. Of course it is proportional to the angle and speed of the wind, the distance, the BC, and the velocity.

For the sake of this discussion lets say its coming from 3-o-clock(90 degrees). The fact that we are aiming into the wind means the bullet is traveling in an arc. We aim right and the wind drives it left......effectively increasing the distance the bullet must travel. Maybe the path has not increased greatly....but it is a longer path than the same shot in calm conditions.

But then....I am no ballistician.
laugh.gif

Rafael,

Good point. The true bullet path is indeed increased, albeit to a level that is rather insignificant when it comes to calculating drop.

That said, add a 50mph wind and you begin to see this effect downrange for long range shots.

FYI:
I went ahead and ran QuickTarget with 55FMJ loads for my AR-15.
Out to 1500 yards....like I would ever
laugh.gif
When switching between a 1 mph crosswind and a 111 mph the suggested elevation settings remain the same.

Quickload/QuickTarget does not alter adjustment data for crosswinds.

Try JBM. It will take this into account for drops if you run it through. For example, a 1700 yard shot with a 100mph crosswind will effect the drop output.

As a matter of fact I did.....
Thank you for the links, Lindy.

Still.......that one ten-thousandth of a second in TOF deviation in a wind switch form 10@90 to 10@270 has me greatly concerned.
smile.gif

Okay....I am convinced it is nothing of concern.

Well, I just hope that you read and understood all 11 pages of the discussion on benchrest.com. There will be a quiz...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try JBM. It will take this into account for drops if you run it through. For example, a 1700 yard shot with a 100mph crosswind will effect the drop output. </div></div>

.....and if someone can make a 1700 yard shot in a 100MPH crosswind....I will just go ahead and surrender. There is no escape.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I just hope that you read and understood all 11 pages of the discussion on benchrest.com. There will be a quiz...
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I never EVER said I read and understood it all.
If I did that I would be in a Coma for a week.
I found it a bit frustrating just pulling out that little nugget I referenced.
laugh.gif

Sean,

we hit a snag this weekend,

I was out running the progam, shooting with a friend out to about 900 meters,

it was a pratice up for a upcoming event,

Alright here is the deal,

I shoot a mil based S&B PMII, no issues, I just punched in temp, alt and pressure,

had the rest sorted before,

got a range card and away it was, spot on.

However my pal has a scope with 1/4 moa adjust,

so we had to calc for each range, mostly cause he is no got a algebra, to take each whole MOA x4 that is.

this is were the issue appeared.

if by missfortune I hit the compute button first once and then again,

we got some really off figures, to quick fix this I had the mode changed in to HUD mode,

however I would/hopes that you have an answer to be about what I am doing and how it works,

tvice I got numbers that were to low and the shots landed to short,

a bit embarrasing for me, in charge of the bal generator.

Sorry for the silly assed questions.

Best regards Chris

How did you determine the pressure?

If you entered the station pressure, i.e., the actual atmospheric pressure at your location, <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> also entered the altitude, the program may have computed for an altitude higher than you actually were - which would have resulted in calculations which were short.

See:

Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software

Lindy,

I used the pressure presented by the weather station nearby,

they are online and so I had it in my Android.

Thank you for educating me about how to adress the ideas of altitude/pressure,

however this time that was not the issue,

unless the progam sort of wished to give me two solutions for the same range.

I think I was unclear in my text above,

ok no butterfingers, punched compute once,

got a god result,

if I by mistake dubbeltapped it,

we got a second result that yielded a lower value solution,

once I had doubbletapped by mistake the rest of the results were off, I had to back out of the program and restart it.

Hmm your "idea" of how this has came to bee sure has some reason to it,

so what can be done,

leave out butterfingers,

leave out one of the values?

i´ll look in to it, after work today.

Best regards Chris

Swedish guy,

I'm assuming you're using all metric inputs? Can you tell me what values you're using for the rifle and ammo profile as well as the data your inputting for the shot so I can try to reproduce this?

Swedish guy,

I was able to reproduce the problem and I've identified the issue and uploaded a fix for the free version only. The paid version will be fixed soon, I just can't update it right now due to some other changes that are in testing for this build.

Sean,

sweet deal, I am sorry that I was unable to answer you,

but I just had to sleep a bit and then go to work.

Sure do hope that it was ok that I raised this question.

Best regards Chris

Tag, for later.

Great app, purchased it. Would like to see Density Altitude input and Kestrel Bluetooth support.

Not a great thing for most of you guys however,

I ran the programe through it´s paces this weekend,

shot a 308 Win out to and beyound 700 meters in 3,5-7 m/s winds from 2 o´clock and some really nasty light,

also shot my 6 mm TCU out to 500 meters ringing steel about half the time,
@300 meters it was a dead ringer so to speak,

last I spotted for my shooter friend and he did better than me,

well Sean, it could have been done with out your program but not as smooth and with a lot less accurate.

Sunday morning, we both had first round hits at 500 meters and 600 meters at steel 15x15 inches and at 500 we both did all the five targets, 15x, 12x 10x, and 5x inches, really nice I must admit.

Sure none of this exites you guys but for us it´s decent shooting.

Best regards Chris

how long did the pay version take to download?

Max a minute. It depends on your network.

As of tonight, the full version now supports zero atmosphere as well as powder temperature/muzzle velocity variation per temp degree inputs for adjusting muzzle velocity based on powder temperature. As always, I'm happy to hear any feedback.

I went shooting with my budy and showed him the app. He is not happy, he wants one for the I phone. I told him I'd let you know.

Please include a changelog on your site for us Linux nerds. As previously stated, Density Altitude support and "Range Profiles" which would be saved conditions/altitude for different shooting ranges/locations. Kind of a digital dope book I would pay at least double for.

I just released another upgrade about 5 minutes ago. The update fixes a couple issue and adds support for Density Altitude input (enable this in the preferences).

I started a change log at http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/.

Sean

I am not getting an update. I cleared the cache for the market too. I still have version 1.1.1

If I go to shooter lite in market and hit view more apps it does not show the paid version anymore. Running stock 1.5 OS

Love the Density Altitude, it's a catch all input that I can retrieve from my Kestrel. Changelogs are sexy too. Thanks for this great update!

What phone do you have that's *still* running 1.5?

Many people with newer phones that have small screens were unable to see my application because the app was built off 1.5 APIs and doesn't support specifically declaring support for their screen size. So Android v1.6 or higher is now the lowest requirement. You're phone running 1.5 really needs upgraded.

I know you weren't referring to me, but in light of hardware compatibility list, I am running a rooted Nexus One with Cyanogenmod 5.0.6 on Android 2.1 of course. I am receiving all updates correctly from the market and have not ran into any bugs yet.

I have a Eris. Can I update it? I had a Eris with the leaked 2.1 but then I can not see or get protected apps. I could see the paid version when it first came out and I purchased it and have it just no updateds.

field,

Eris doesn't have an official update for at least 1.6 yet?

If not, yees you can go ahead and update it with your leaked 2.1 and you should see Shooter full in the market.

You're missing a lot of new features
wink.gif

no they are suppose to go 2.1

I would love to update but if it doesn't show up are you going to remove the protection?

Field, already is.

Density altitude on Zero Data would be a nice addition for the future. Not critical but worth mentioning.

I knew someone would have to complain about that :p

You're right, it's definitely not critical just like DA input itself. For one-time atmospheric condition input in your ammo profile, it's definitely not as big of a deal as the current atmosphere input. I'll likely add this ability sooner or later, its just definitely one of those things that can wait.

v1.3.0
- Fixed bug in HUD solution screen - computing spin drift when it shouldn't

v1.2.9
- Fixed stability factor calculation when using Density Altitude
- Fixed "out of date" error in web sync
- Changed background color from off-white to white
- Changed the look of the Location/Air Density display in the shot data input screen.

Source: http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/changelog.txt

I have read that they are all going to 2.1 sometime but how knows.

Is anyone's Hud diplay not working right with spin drift on after 1.3.0 update?

Sean: hopefully not wasting your time, is there a Full version available for pay? Been trying to find it on Android Market, no love.

Wes