• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

I have purchased "Shooter" but it will not install. It says I have purchased and downloaded but then does not show up in my list of programs. I have a Droid Incredible running software 2.1. Any suggestions?

problem resolved, I simply canceled and reordered. Must have been a glitch with the phone. On a service note, Sean was quick to reply and try to help out with the problem.

Sean just found this thread, don't have anything with droid but the fact that you are working so hard on this program, make me want to go out and get one asap. Barring I have the finances. You sound like a pretty cool dude. Keep up the good work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean,

I may have discovered what the problems is. When I checked the zero on my 6.5x47 last week, the temp was 37.5 and that is what I entered for powder temp and temp in the "edit ammo profile" screen.

Then when shooting on Saturday, I would enter the actual temp into the "atmospheric condition" which was in the high 50 and low 60's when we were shooting. I just now noticed the "powder temp" duplicates the "atmospheric" temp and increases the MV from my nominal 2797 fps to 3449.5 fps when I used 59 deg. This brought my proven come up of 22.5 MOA to 13.4 MOA.

Any way to get the automatic "powder temp" to stay the same as in the "edit ammo profile" screen?

Again, I'm not complaining, just making note of what I'm seeing. Still love this thing.

Alan </div></div>

If you want the powder temp in the shot-data input screen to stay the same as your zero powder temp, then obviously you must not want to use that feature -- so just don't enter a zero powder temp in the ammo profile (leave it empty).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repins2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean just found this thread, don't have anything with droid but the fact that you are working so hard on this program, make me want to go out and get one asap. Barring I have the finances. You sound like a pretty cool dude. Keep up the good work. </div></div>
Thanks, man!

Sean,

I'm not complaining when I ask this question. Just trying to understand how the powder temp feature works.

Ok, so I understand that if I enter the temp into the powder temp window, it connects to the atmospheric temp and increases the MV. But, those MV's are very high and thus the output for drop is reduced. In "my world" this really messes things up. What is the purpose of the powder temp feature?

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillK65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have purchased "Shooter" but it will not install. It says I have purchased and downloaded but then does not show up in my list of programs. I have a Droid Incredible running software 2.1. Any suggestions? </div></div>

How do you like the Droid Incredible, and the program on that phone? Thinking about picking one of them up this week.

Thanks!

I also emailed Sean....A+ for service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean,

I'm not complaining when I ask this question. Just trying to understand how the powder temp feature works.

Ok, so I understand that if I enter the temp into the powder temp window, it connects to the atmospheric temp and increases the MV. But, those MV's are very high and thus the output for drop is reduced. In "my world" this really messes things up. What is the purpose of the powder temp feature?

Alan </div></div>

The "MV Variation" field in the ammo profile is part of this feature. If you enter 50deg for zero powder temp and 1 FPS/deg for MV variation then enter 70deg for powder temp in the shot-data input screen, then its going to bump your MV up 20 FPS (and if current powder temp was 30deg, it would bump it down 20deg). You have to have known MV/temp pairs to get this info and use this feature. Otherwise you're just guessing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillK65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have purchased "Shooter" but it will not install. It says I have purchased and downloaded but then does not show up in my list of programs. I have a Droid Incredible running software 2.1. Any suggestions? </div></div>

How do you like the Droid Incredible, and the program on that phone? Thinking about picking one of them up this week.

Thanks!

I also emailed Sean....A+ for service. </div></div>

I'm personally not very fond of the Sense UI. I've never used Shooter on that phone, but it should work just fine on it.

Please elaborate on the Sense UI for us "not so technical" folks, and why you don't like it.

I know you said your personal favorite is the Motorola Droid. Why do you prefer that phone?

Going phone shopping this week once the store gets an Incredible in, and looking for any feedback.

Thanks

The Sense UI is made by HTC. It's a user interface on top of Android (changes the colors and looks of things). I just don't like it and apparently on the Incredible, you can't shut it off. I prefer the stock Android look and feel. I also prefer Android's default Gallery app rather than HTC's.

The Droid is not quite as fast as these brand new phones, but it makes up for it in feel, hardware keyboard, and running plain Android. Rafael pointed out to me that it also has Gorilla glass covering the screen, which is nice.

[\quote]
The "MV Variation" field in the ammo profile is part of this feature. If you enter 50deg for zero powder temp and 1 FPS/deg for MV variation then enter 70deg for powder temp in the shot-data input screen, then its going to bump your MV up 20 FPS (and if current powder temp was 30deg, it would bump it down 20deg). You have to have known MV/temp pairs to get this info and use this feature. Otherwise you're just guessing.[/quote]

Sean,

Now that makes sense. I thought the variation was my ES and had entered 29 fps. Duh!!

I reentered the 36.5 deg in the powder temp, 1 fps variation and WaaaLaaa!

Thanks so very much!

Alan

20fps/degree?
Close enough for gov't work!
laugh.gif

You can always leave it at 0fps/degree if you are not sure.
If you want to make a guess I bet you will be fine with .3fps per degree all the way up to 2fps/degree.

I just installed Shooter on the Incredible, and I can say it's incredible.
smile.gif

Great program Sean, thanks for the hard work!!

Any of you on the fence, it's well worth the money.

Doc

Great program (I'm using it for hand loads and it is very accurate). However, I still wish it had moving target capability.

I've actually been working on adding lead recently and just got it done. Update should be available in the Market.

Solution screen has been redesigned and <span style="font-weight: bold">I will be working on including a way to also tweak the target speed/angle from the solution screen soon, so please don't pester me about it
wink.gif
</span>

solution.png

The lead values are *currently* only in the Solution screen until I can find an elegant way to incorporate them into the Trajectory Table.

See the ChangeLog at http://sean.kndy.net/shooter for all changes.

Lindy, I am linking to your "Sources of Ballistic Program Inaccuracies" article in the FAQ for Shooter (http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/), I hope you don't mind?

I don't mind at all, Sean. I wrote those for people to use.

I do edit them from time to time, mostly very slightly, but the link will always find the current version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20fps/degree?</div></div>

His figure was 1 fps/degree, not 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[\quote]
Sean,

Now that makes sense. I thought the variation was my ES and had entered 29 fps. Duh!!

I reentered the 36.5 deg in the powder temp, 1 fps variation and WaaaLaaa!

Thanks so very much!

Alan </div></div>
In the quote above he said he entered 29FPS for temp variation....when he was getting those huge velocity swings.
This is what I was referring to.
laugh.gif

Good job, Sean!
I also noticed the little note that pops up giving info on GPS elevation accuracy as it changes. Neat idea.

Sean,

Got my Motorola Droid last night and after downloading my contacts, I went and bought Shooter for $10 or thereabouts. Funny thing is, I'm playing with your app and I haven't figured out how to answer a damn call! Is that just wrong or what?

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this. I intend to set it up for my 700 PSS and LTRs.

Great stuff. Wish I'd had it back in "89 when I went to FBI Sniper/Observer school...
Thanks again.

EDIT: OKAY, I screwed up already, entered the wrong twist rate for my barrel under add firearm. Can I edit it? I've been trying and haven't figured it out. When I hit the firearm, it brings up the bullet I load, but I can't figure out how to edit the firearm profile. Do I delete it and start over or what? And, no I'm not the most droid capable guy out there...

Hey Sean as mentioned before I was looking to get a Droid and I am proud to say, I am texting this from my new moto Droid. I bought shooter before I made it out the Verizon store, LOL. Its awesome man. Love it. Thanks for your work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repins2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Sean as mentioned before I was looking to get a Droid and I am proud to say, I am texting this from my new moto Droid. I bought shooter before I made it out the Verizon store, LOL. Its awesome man. Love it. Thanks for your work. </div></div>
Glad to hear it!
wink.gif

Sean

Cany find your program on market place. I even scanned the bar code on the droid sites and it tells me the link can not be found. Trying tp use on my HTC Hero. Help. Thanks.

Ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillK65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have purchased "Shooter" but it will not install. It says I have purchased and downloaded but then does not show up in my list of programs. I have a Droid Incredible running software 2.1. Any suggestions? </div></div>

Thanks!

I also emailed Sean....A+ for service. </div></div>

I have had the incredible since the day it came out, it is A LOT of phone I run shooter on it and its been flawless. Thanks Sean for making an affordable ballistic program and such quick help.

Just wanted to jump in and mention that I got my droid yesterday, downloaded shooter today and it worked great. I might have some suggestions that have not been touched upon yet but I made two first round ground hog kills at 425 and 363 without any trouble. Thanks for the program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunner0306</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean

Cany find your program on market place. I even scanned the bar code on the droid sites and it tells me the link can not be found. Trying tp use on my HTC Hero. Help. Thanks.

Ken </div></div>
The HTC Hero is still running Android 1.5 AFAIK. Shooter requires Android 1.6 or higher. The good news is I think they are releasing 2.1 on Hero sometime very soon.

Works on Android 2.2 Froyo. Had an issue with it syncing profiles though, maybe the Shooter server was down.

I am so pissed about AT&T still not having a decent android phone. The $529 for the Nexus One is looking better every day. Of course, if I order one I'm sure the Desire will be available from AT&T for $200 the very next day.

Watched the Google IO keynote the other day - are you working on a version for Google TV yet?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am so pissed about AT&T still not having a decent android phone. The $529 for the Nexus One is looking better every day. Of course, if I order one I'm sure the Desire will be available from AT&T for $200 the very next day.

Watched the Google IO keynote the other day - are you working on a version for Google TV yet?
smile.gif
</div></div>Get the N1, you won't be disappointed. I bought it the day of release and haven't put it down or gotten tired of it since. I'm also a android dev, but still it's an amazing phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TalkingBush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the N1, you won't be disappointed. I bought it the day of release and haven't put it down or gotten tired of it since. I'm also a android dev, but still it's an amazing phone. </div></div>

The N1 *is* a really nice phone. I am attached to the hardware keyboard on the Motorola Droid, though.

I envy that you N1 users are already getting Froyo.

I'm curious what app(s) you've written for Android?

Random projects on github or XDA, nothing on the Market. Wrote a weather app that was fed from the Google APIs to replace the clunky built-in Android one, it simply fed a small icon with a weather image and temp to the notification bar, but never got around to publishing it. It's not my job, so I don't dedicate all of my time to it, but do spend quite a bit of free time on it.

The Froyo build I'm using is a RC, the official OTA build is slowing being sent to the AOSP. From the RC it is very nice though.

Loaded this to my Droid and used it to dial moa for my first time hitting 600 yards at a prone competition last weekend. Very accurate. I estimated a 12mph 80° crosswind' as well as density altitude. It told me 13.5moa elevation and 4.5moa wind. First cold bore shot put me on the paper in the 9 ring. One more quick dial in of another. 5moa and a little less elevation put me on the bullseye and my first 10 shot string was all 10's and bullseyes. Love this app!

A couple questions though:
1) when adding a firearm and entering the twist rate it shows in/turn. I have a 10" twist. Do I just type the number 10 in this field?
2) how do you remove or edit a firearm or ammo once you've added it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple questions though:
1) when adding a firearm and entering the twist rate it shows in/turn. I have a 10" twist. Do I just type the number 10 in this field?
2) how do you remove or edit a firearm or ammo once you've added it? </div></div>

1. Yes, just enter 10. The 1/ is assumed.
2. Click+hold the firearm or ammo.

Hi Sean,
Love your program-
I took a couple months off from shooting and now I can't remember what the "Correction Factor" field is for- there is the number "1" in that field right now--
- For that matter, have you posted any "help" files for the program anywhere?
--If I had a .pdf "help" file I wouldn't have to bother you!
Thanks for a great product.
Bob

I used it last week, was right on the money. I love this friggen thing, saved me a crap load from buying the NF, Thanks Man!!!! Now only if there was a way to transfer the basics to my PDA for a larger screen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rvander1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Sean,
Love your program-
I took a couple months off from shooting and now I can't remember what the "Correction Factor" field is for- there is the number "1" in that field right now--
Bob </div></div>
Correction factor is how close your optic is for tracking. If you make a .1 mil adjustment on the knob, the reticle will move .1 mil. If your optic isn't messed up it should be 1 for the correction factor.

TalkingBush-thanks for the help- makes sense but not necessarily intuitive.
I love the program--

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rvander1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Sean,
Love your program-
Bob </div></div>

Hey Bob,

This question is answered in the FAQ @ http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/

I gave up. I want Froyo and I don't want AT&T's stupid policies affecting what is on my phone so I ordered a Nexus One today. Hopefully I'll be playing with Shooter tomorrow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave up. I want Froyo and I don't want AT&T's stupid policies affecting what is on my phone so I ordered a Nexus One today. Hopefully I'll be playing with Shooter tomorrow! </div></div>Great success! Nexus is awesome.

Just got my Nexus today (ordered it ~3 pm yesterday) & loaded Shooter. Very slick.

What is meant by 'bullet length' when adding ammo info? If I am using a 175smk, for example, isn't the length a given? Do I lose valuable info by leaving that field blank?
Also, what GPS app are you all using to account for Coriolis or for ranging? I currently have the 'GPS status' app but it takes forever to find me on this planet and when it does it sometimes has error tolerances of over a thousand feet!

Two things that would be awesome, and maybe it does this already I don't know. my Incredible arrives next week:

1) Pinchable table to change the reported increments. IE: List at every 5 yards, pinch it and it goes to every 10, 25, 50, 100 yards etc yards. Expand does the opposite. Of course it would either have to calculate on the fly, or pre-calculate and store it in memory.

2) Use the GPS and some weather service/app to automatically download/import relevant atmospheric/positional data.

Pipe dreams maybe. But can't hurt to ask!