• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introducing The 5-30x56 Match Pro ED

Yeah not $650 scopes is my main point. Probably should’ve included that. Anyway, $650 8x erector. Hard pass.

I hear this for the first time — that an 8x erector is a liability if done for $650 street price. — (Just proves my ignorance, nothing else.)

Would you help me understand what the most critical issues are with a large magnification ratio that would require more $$ in order to be done well?
(I understand the challenge of the reticle being too thin/ too thick in an FFP.)

Is the effect of recoil a major factor — as 8x ratio is more sensitive than say a 4x?

Thank you! 👍🏼

Matthias

Reactions: Scopeye
I’m not an optical expert so I’ll defer to one that can likely summarize erector magnification and trade offs in a concise manner if he likes. He’ll have great insight into cost vs quality as well. My limited understanding is higher erector systems like 7x or 8x have “more complicated systems with more lens elements”. That’s the most concise explanation I’ve read. Lens/glass quality and the coatings make a huge difference in quality and cost. Hence the vast difference in scope costs. It seems a complicated algorithm of producing quality and still turning a profit.
Hopefully Ilya can help you out. 🍻
@koshkin

I’m not an optical expert so I’ll defer to one that can likely summarize erector magnification and trade offs in a concise manner if he likes. He’ll have great insight into cost vs quality as well. My limited understanding is higher erector systems like 7x or 8x have “more complicated systems with more lens elements”. That’s the most concise explanation I’ve read. Lens/glass quality and the coatings make a huge difference in quality and cost. Hence the vast difference in scope costs. It seems a complicated algorithm of producing quality and still turning a profit.
Hopefully Ilya can help you out. 🍻
@koshkin

There is no clear cutoff in terms of what magnification ratio is acceptable at what price. Besides, that target shifts all the time.
I have more of a discussion of that on my website, but I am not sure if it is polite to post links to my website on someone else's forum.
I do have an article I wrote for Shooting Illustrated that talks about magnification ratios:

ILya

Thanks for the info. It’s very informative on your site. I didn’t want to post a link either. Not sure of that etiquette.

We have the Bushnell ED 5-30x56 MRAD in stock!
If this is a direct to consumer type scope (to "supposedly" keep the prices down) how is it possible for a second party dealer to sell it for the same price as Bushnell does direct to consumer without getting a piece of their profit pie?

I hear this for the first time — that an 8x erector is a liability if done for $650 street price. — (Just proves my ignorance, nothing else.)

Would you help me understand what the most critical issues are with a large magnification ratio that would require more $$ in order to be done well?
(I understand the challenge of the reticle being too thin/ too thick in an FFP.)

Is the effect of recoil a major factor — as 8x ratio is more sensitive than say a 4x?

Thank you! 👍🏼

Matthias
The Viridian Xactus 5-30x56 selling through Optics Planet for $599.99 has a free returns policy within 30 days plus an additional 10% off discount just by asking through their online chat toget it for $539.99. I'd sure like to hear what you think after comparing it side by side with your Vector Optics Continental 34mm. You could buy it and plan to return it within 30 days for free after comparing it.

Reactions: JungleShooter
The Viridian Xactus 5-30x56 selling through Optics Planet for $599.99 has a free returns policy within 30 days plus an additional 10% off discount just by asking through their online chat toget it for $539.99. I'd sure like to hear what you think after comparing it side by side with your Vector Optics Continental 34mm. You could buy it and plan to return it within 30 days for free after comparing it.

😊 That sounds like a helpful comparison, add the Bushnell 5-30x and the Riton 4-32x to the mix, and see what shakes out.

However, my current assignment doesn't afford me the facility of ordering and simply returning.

🔹 ILya, I re-read your published article — wow, you have a way with words — not just with optics. Excellently done. Thank you!

➠ What I read makes me wonder if I should stop lusting for a 8-fold (4-32x) magnification range, and instead be happy with my 6-fold (5-30x).
If I still want that so-dear-to-me wide FoV at the bottom magnification... — well, there is the Element Theos with a 6-fold (6-36x56 FFP; with 100moa of elevation).

➠ But than... — for that price, the quality of an 8-fold will probably be good enough for my bad eyes. And in that case, I might as well just go Sightron S8 5-40x56 FFP (135moa of elevation) and never look back....! 😄

Matthias

😊 That sounds like a helpful comparison, add the Bushnell 5-30x and the Riton 4-32x to the mix, and see what shakes out.

However, my current assignment doesn't afford me the facility of ordering and simply returning.

🔹 ILya, I re-read your published article — wow, you have a way with words — not just with optics. Excellently done. Thank you!

➠ What I read makes me wonder if I should stop lusting for a 8-fold (4-32x) magnification range, and instead be happy with my 6-fold (5-30x).
If I still want that so-dear-to-me wide FoV at the bottom magnification... — well, there is the Element Theos with a 6-fold (6-36x56 FFP; with 100moa of elevation).

➠ But than... — for that price, the quality of an 8-fold will probably be good enough for my bad eyes. And in that case, I might as well just go Sightron S8 5-40x56 FFP (135moa of elevation) and never look back....! 😄

Matthias
I can tell you that the Sightron is everything it purports to be. You will not go wrong with it and will know that it hits above its level price wise. My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Match Pro ED was never intended to be direct only - That's why it's at other retailers.
Thanks for chiming in. What's the actual duration and conditions of the warranty regarding the illuminated reticles in Bushnell scopes such as the Match Pro and Match Pro ED?

Just got my 4th, as I really like the optic for the price. The turret only turns about 6mils and locks up, up and down. Verified that zero stop was not "turned on", like I said I already have 3 others. Gonna call the seller but any advice here?

Just got my 4th, as I really like the optic for the price. The turret only turns about 6mils and locks up, up and down. Verified that zero stop was not "turned on", like I said I already have 3 others. Gonna call the seller but any advice here?
Seems odd. PM me with your Email and I'll have somebody contact you.

So I’ve had the g2 razor the g3 razor the zeiss s5 the Burris xtr3 the strike eagle the Athlon Cronus btr gen 2 and the Arken sh4

Glass quality ranking for MY eye
1-Zeiss
2-Gen3
3-Burris xtr3-match pro-razor g2
4-Athlon
5-Strike eagle
6-Arken

Does it blow the gen2 out no.
Item #3 is the original Match Pro or the new ED?

Item #4 is the BTR Gen 2 Athlon?

Bushnell 5-30x56 Match Pro ED

The 6-24x50 Match Pro has been a great optic, but some folks were wanting more. With the 5-30x56 Match Pro ED We really tried to pack everything we could into this that people said they wanted.

Major differences:

1. Magnification range - Went way up up to 5-30x.
  2. Objective lens - Up to 56mm.
  3. The Name Sake - The objective lens is ED Prime glass.
  4. Throw lever - Now integrated like ET and has 3 positions for left, right, or neutral positions.
  5. Zero Stop - Has it, very reliable and crazy easy/fast to set.
  6. Reticle - Now the Deploy MIL 2, it's a floating dot 2/10 grid and it's illuminated with a 6-hour timer so if you forget to turn it off it you won't have a dead battery next time you go to use it
  7. Sunshade - Included, 2.5" w/internal threads for accessories mounting *Rev Indicator - I wasn't sure if I was going to like this but I fell in love with it over the last few months. On first revolution the indicator is flush. On the second revolution it's popped up and shows red. On the 3rd revolution it shows silver below it. The red is actually an anodized red aluminum cap that's been placed on top of a stainless steel pin. We did that for visual as well as longevity so it won't wear over time.
  8. Locking turrets all around like last time, but bigger and very nice clicks with a positive grip, way easier to get hold of and turn than the original Match Pro.
  9. Parallax = 15 yards
  10. Elevation travel = 30 MIL
  11. Price: $699.99 (MAP)
Give a shout with any questions and I'll try to answer them ASAP.

Thanks, all!
View attachment 8016438View attachment 8016440
Just received my MPED direct from Bushnell.

Disclaimer: I admit, my experience behind a higher magnification scope is limited. I am new to shooting anything beyond 100.

Having previously been bit with scope eye from my friend’s Strike Eagle, I sought out a scope with a long eye relief.

I must say I am disappointed with the shallow depth of field to be able to clearly see the entire eye box.

I purchased the MPED on advice here and the LR Reddit forum without looking at the competition in stores. Fortunately, I haven’t mounted it yet and may return it.

I suffer from astigmatism and need something that is easy to look at/through that will limit my chance for scope eye.

I was going to purchase the PST Gen 2 or a Athlon Cronus Gen 2 before the insistent posts to get the MPED.

Wondering if I made a mistake.

Disclaimer: I admit, my experience behind a higher magnification scope is limited. I am new to shooting anything beyond 100.

Having previously been bit with scope eye from my friend’s Strike Eagle, I sought out a scope with a long eye relief.

I must say I am disappointed with the shallow depth of field to be able to clearly see the entire eye box.

I purchased the MPED on advice here and the LR Reddit forum without looking at the competition in stores. Fortunately, I haven’t mounted it yet and may return it.

I suffer from astigmatism and need something that is easy to look at/through that will limit my chance for scope eye.

I was going to purchase the PST Gen 2 or a Athlon Cronus Gen 2 before the insistent posts to get the MPED.

I’m curious just how far from the eyepiece you find your eye? An estimate?

If you are getting hit in the eye with the scope it's you that are doing something wrong. Not the scope. Sounds like you need someone to show you how to set up the scope and rifle and then show you how to shoot the rifle so the recoil is not getting the scope near your eye. Most scopes have 3"+ eye relief and if the scope is moving that far back when you shoot it and hitting you then you aren't doing something right.

If you are getting hit in the eye with the scope it's you that are doing something wrong. Not the scope. Sounds like you need someone to show you how to set up the scope and rifle and then show you how to shoot the rifle so the recoil is not getting the scope near your eye. Most scopes have 3"+ eye relief and if the scope is moving that far back when you shoot it and hitting you then you aren't doing something right.
I agree but I was only bit by one once and know why it happened.

Regardless, the desire to have sufficient eye relief for comfort is a thing - even for very experienced shooters, and the shallow depth of field is rather annoying.

I agree but I was only bit by one once and know why it happened.

Regardless, the desire to have sufficient eye relief for comfort is a thing - even for very experienced shooters, and the shallow depth of field is rather annoying.

The eye relief on the Match Pro ED is 3.8" which is more than sufficient.

Reactions: CSTactical
Correct and that was one reason I purchased it, but the narrow depth of field it seems to exhibit isn’t ideal.
Okay, so you need to understand what it is you are saying. I believe what you are talking about is commonly referred to as ‘eyebox’, or the distance tolerance wherein you have proper eye relief.

‘Depth of field’ is another thing.
“DOF refers to the area of sharpness behind and in front of the subject.” The subject being what you are seeing through the lenses. I.E. the target.

Eye Relief​

Eye relief is the distance your eye must be from the ocular lens and still get a full field of view.

Reactions: Rob01
Okay, so you need to understand what it is you are saying. I believe what you are talking about is commonly referred to as ‘eyebox’, or the distance tolerance wherein you have proper eye relief.

‘Depth of field’ is another thing.
“DOF refers to the area of sharpness behind and in front of the subject.” The subject being what you are seeing through the lenses. I.E. the target.

Eye Relief​

Eye relief is the distance your eye must be from the ocular lens and still get a full field of view.

Thank you for the reference.

Having done photography for over thirty years and owning a considerable amount of glass, I understand the difference between DoF and eye relief.

Apparently this MPED scope is known to have a shallower DoF than average and the parallax adjustment is very finicky and ‘off’ from the markings on the dial. I only discovered this after seeing it in person once I received it (as you can only purchase them direct at the moment). I confirmed it with other posts on this and other forums.

As for eye relief, I purchased this scope partly because it also had a longer than average eye relief.

Okay, one more response, then I’m done. Why did you say this, and what exactly did you mean by it?

For someone who knows all this already, how come you sound so much like you tossed a word salad when trying to say something simple?

For someone who knows all this already, how come you sound so much like you tossed a word salad when trying to say something simple?
Because I apparently tossed a word salad. For that I apologize to this audience.

I guess that’s what a week full of meetings away from home will do to a brain.

MPED seems to have a very finicky and non-forgiving eye relief, though. It’s shallow.

This fellow member experienced something similar with their Nightforce:

Thread 'Shallow Eye Box on Nightforce ATACR F1'
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/shallow-eye-box-on-nightforce-atacr-f1.6889796/

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
So I’ve had the g2 razor the g3 razor the zeiss s5 the Burris xtr3 the strike eagle the Athlon Cronus btr gen 2 and the Arken sh4

Glass quality ranking for MY eye
1-Zeiss
2-Gen3
3-Burris xtr3-match pro-razor g2
4-Athlon
5-Strike eagle
6-Arken

Does it blow the gen2 out no.
I am surprised you would rate the glass of the Match Pro (ED?) higher than the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2. What about the MPED makes it superior?

I am surprised you would rate the glass of the Match Pro (ED?) higher than the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2. What about the MPED makes it superior?
For me the glass was ever so slightly better on the Athlon but the turrets on the match pro were superior than the Cronus I had. Then you take into account the cost and that’s what for me made the match pro slightly better overall.

For me the glass was ever so slightly better on the Athlon but the turrets on the match pro were superior than the Cronus I had. Then you take into account the cost and that’s what for me made the match pro slightly better overall.
Thank you for the explanation.

Was there a tracking/repeatability concern or an issue with the 'feel' of the turrets?

Per my communication with Athlon, the main selling point of the Cronus BTR Gen 2 (vs Gen 1) is the newer turrets. They confirmed the glass was the same between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

If you had a bad 'copy' of the scope, then their quality control (or lack thereof) concerns me.

Have you by chance ever tried or looked through the Athlon ETR?

I had 2 Athlon ETRs. After no less than 6 replacement scopes from Athlon, all of which had the same systemic glass issues, I sold them and will NEVER go back.

Reactions: Hydrogen
The problem is that “glass quality” becomes incredibly subjective to many people.

I saw another post (not on here) that also rated the MPED as having similar (or slightly better) glass to the Burris xtr III.

Whether that’s true or not, is hard to say, without actual side by side comparison shots of the image quality, and most people likely aren’t equipped to do so..

Taking a photo of your scope, with your phone, through the scope, introduces multiple points of user error that could make an imagine look worse than it actually is..

I’ve also seen a large amount of comments posting that this is a “viper killer”, and plenty that also said they compared it to the viper side by side and were underwhelmed or just didn’t notice that much of a difference to warrant replacing one with the other.

I plan on ordering one soon to try, either way, but it’s hard to rely on others opinions without any objective measurements.

The problem is that “glass quality” becomes incredibly subjective to many people.

I saw another post (not on here) that also rated the MPED as having similar (or slightly better) glass to the Burris xtr III.

Whether that’s true or not, is hard to say, without actual side by side comparison shots of the image quality, and most people likely aren’t equipped to do so..

Taking a photo of your scope, with your phone, through the scope, introduces multiple points of user error that could make an imagine look worse than it actually is..

I’ve also seen a large amount of comments posting that this is a “viper killer”, and plenty that also said they compared it to the viper side by side and were underwhelmed or just didn’t notice that much of a difference to warrant replacing one with the other.

I plan on ordering one soon to try, either way, but it’s hard to rely on others opinions without any objective measurements.
There are some comparison pics on Reddit, which is probably where the Viper killer status originated.

There are some comparison pics on Reddit, which is probably where the Viper killer status originated.

Yeah that’s the one I had in mind.

I don’t doubt the quality of the scope but the bandwagon effect also plays a major part in discussions like that.

In a similar thread on that same subreddit another guy proclaimed that he would take any $500 scope over a pst gen 2 because it’s “dated”. That’s a hard argument to support when there’s a ton of shit product in that exact price point, including plenty of arkens, which I’ve never seen any other brand have as common of an “I got a dud out of the box and sent it back” comments posted.

Reactions: Evintos
Thank you for the explanation.

Was there a tracking/repeatability concern or an issue with the 'feel' of the turrets?

Per my communication with Athlon, the main selling point of the Cronus BTR Gen 2 (vs Gen 1) is the newer turrets. They confirmed the glass was the same between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

If you had a bad 'copy' of the scope, then their quality control (or lack thereof) concerns me.

Have you by chance ever tried or looked through the Athlon ETR?
This is interesting to me as well, because I’ve only owned the Cronus btr gen 2, but have talked to others who owned both and they swore the glass was “night and day difference” in the newer model.

I think people really fall for marketing and don’t even realize that things like this are possible.

This is interesting to me as well, because I’ve only owned the Cronus btr gen 2, but have talked to others who owned both and they swore the glass was “night and day difference” in the newer model.

I think people really fall for marketing and don’t even realize that things like this are possible.
Yes, here is a screenshot of their response to my question of the difference between the Cronus BTR (Gen 1) and the Gen 2 vs the Ares ETR:

1689781630274.jpeg

Yes, here is a screenshot of their response to my question of the difference between the Cronus BTR (Gen 1) and the Gen 2 vs the Ares ETR:

View attachment 8186186
This is a great example of the marketing being the larger influence than the actual product improvements.

I do think the Cronus btr gen 2 has great turrets (arguably better than my razor g3), but I’m not one to buy based on that being a primary purchase criteria.

I had 2 Athlon ETRs. After no less than 6 replacement scopes from Athlon, all of which had the same systemic glass issues, I sold them and will NEVER go back.
Wow - that is a horrible track record for a single customer to experience. Were all 6 replacement scopes the ETRs or have you owned other Athlon's?

Are you done with the brand altogether?

All ETRs. All the same glass issue. They KNEW what the problem was and kept sending me scopes with the same problem.

They admitted to me that they were struggling to find scopes without those glass imperfections. So it is a systemic problem in the ETR line.

I am done with Athlon all together. It was a horrible experience.

They were also ok with RETAILING scopes with KNOWN glass issues as they were still selling this line on the market.

All ETRs. All the same glass issue. They KNEW what the problem was and kept sending me scopes with the same problem.

They admitted to me that they were struggling to find scopes without those glass imperfections. So it is a systemic problem in the ETR line.

I am done with Athlon all together. It was a horrible experience.

They were also ok with RETAILING scopes with KNOWN glass issues as they were still selling this line on the market.
So there was a defective lot / batch they knowingly continued to retail or is it a defect with all ETR glass?

What brand/models did you end up with post Athlon?

There is no clear cutoff in terms of what magnification ratio is acceptable at what price. Besides, that target shifts all the time.
I have more of a discussion of that on my website, but I am not sure if it is polite to post links to my website on someone else's forum.
I do have an article I wrote for Shooting Illustrated that talks about magnification ratios:

ILya
Ilya,

Please feel free to post links. Your insight and knowledge are held in high esteem here.

So there was a defective lot / batch they knowingly continued to retail or is it a defect with all ETR glass?

What brand/models did you end up with post Athlon?
Per my conversations with them, they KNEW their glass in that batch was fucked and they kept trying to send me scopes from that batch and they said that they had no other batches that were good, so I must assume that the entire ETR availability was affected as they are the mfg and if anyone could get a good one it would be them. I didn't see them pull a batch of ETRs from the market, did you?

I went to Trijicon for a SPR scope but I would look at Primary Arms Japanese made offerings. I would also look at vortex and Burris. Any Japanese made scope from a company with a good warranty is usually ok. Shit from China is normally a big gamble.

Per my conversations with them, they KNEW their glass in that batch was fucked and they kept trying to send me scopes from that batch and they said that they had no other batches that were good, so I must assume that the entire ETR availability was affected as they are the mfg and if anyone could get a good one it would be them. I didn't see them pull a batch of ETRs from the market, did you?

I went to Trijicon for a SPR scope but I would look at Primary Arms Japanese made offerings. I would also look at vortex and Burris. Any Japanese made scope from a company with a good warranty is usually ok. Shit from China is normally a big gamble.
what exactly was the 'systemic' issue?

I have an ares ETR, and my buddy has one as well. Neither of us have seen any issues with either one...so not sure what the batch was either. We bought ours at least a year apart.

Turn your power to max, turn your illumination to high, and it will look like someone please red pixie dust all over the inside of the scope.

Tons of mini bubbles in the glass that reflect light when the illumination is on. I used to have a picture; it was bad.

I have the XTR3 and the Burris PRO and the MPED... To me the glass goes.. MPED, XTR3 and then the PRO.. The XTR3 and the PRO are close in glass.. I have shot the MPED in 3 matches now, I have it on a gun that I am trying to break in, I was able to make a match that i didnt plan on and took it for the heck of it, mainly to just get more ammo down the pipe. For $700 the MPED is a great deal..but if I had to let one go it would be the MPED..The DOF is a little lacking compared, and if a target is put in a dark area, like some woods, it lacks for sure.. as it should though to be honest because it is a good bit cheaper.. And I will say I HATE..and I mean HATE resetting zero on the match pro if you have to dial your zero down..up is ok..other than that, tracking, controls, all that works fine, and the glass does punch above it's $700 price point..but the glass is not in the same class as my XTR3 and the PRO.. To me there are 3 levels of scopes to make choices from, First level would be the Match PRO ED (used to be Strike Eagle), second level would be the Burris XTR PRO and the Third level would be whatever in the hell you really want.. All that being said, I have shot the MPED in 3 matches, I have a 1st a 2nd and a 4th, so it did not hold me back at all, it just cost me a little more time than what the XTR's would have.

Just got mine delivered today. Got back home and mounted it up and then headed to dinner so no real impressions yet but like the reticle. Heading to VA tomorrow to shoot a match Saturday but soon enough will have some words on the Match Pro ED. Figured I had the binos so might as well try the scope. Lol

I got my 5-30 Match Pro ED from CSTactical a few days ago and took it to the range today. Very impressed with it so far. I put it on a B14R build I have been working on and it seems like a perfect fit.

The good: The turrets feel great with very crisp clicks. The eyebox is easy to work with even at maximum magnification. The glass is very sharp, making out fine details on targets wasn't difficult. The turrets are easy to zero and the zero stop is really easy to set. Piece of cake to set it to give you a mil of down travel past 0 if you like that. It doesn't dim at 30X as much as I expected, which is nice, better than some other sub-$1K scopes I have tried.

The cons: Compared to some higher end glass I also had with me at the range today, a Leupold Mark 5 7-35 and a Mark 4 12-40 spotter, the MPED doesn't quite keep up optically. The glass has a noticible drop in contrast at the maximum magnification and some very noticible chromatic aberration. Honestly, I didn't really dwell on it much, the scope is very comfortable to work with. Given the price point it's a total steal.

Attachments

• B14R.jpg
    B14R.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Hydrogen and lash
Finally got out today to get the Match Pro zeroed. Heavy mirage today but the MP did well in it for a less expensive scope. The zero stop set up is different than I used but easy to get set. Had my Zeiss S3 and Burris Pro out there too and though it didn't match up to those it was good even at 30x in the mirage. The glass really is good for the price range and even a little above. The reticle is excellent for holds. I really like it a lot. The illumination is daylight bright also as it was bright and sunny today and it was bright red at 10/11 setting. I am not disappointed at all in this purchase so far.

As mentioned the clicks are nice and tactile and audible. They are easy to rezero with the little center screw.
Once zeroed at 100 on my 20 moa base I had 19.3 mils of elevation so you should be able to use a 40 moa base without issue on a rimfire.

Looking forward to playing with the Match Pro ED some more.