• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR 2-12x36 Spartan or NF 2-10x32 on LMT MWS

redfisher

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2010
IL
I did a search and couldn't find any threads comparing these two scopes. They are similar in price and specs, purpose is banging steel and paper out to 600yards, any opinions (as I duck) thanks.

Jeff

Re: IOR 2-12x36 Spartan or NF 2-10x32 on LMT MWS

I am using a NF 2.5-10x24 on mine. I have no experience with the newer stuff from IOR, but I have used one of their older models and feel the NF is a much tougher scope, glass is very good with either, <span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span> slightly better in the IOR, but for me reliability and sturdiness beat any miniscule difference in glass quality. Not to mention, the NF is made here in the US. NF for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using a NF 2.5-10x24 on mine. I have no experience with the newer stuff from IOR, but I have used one of their older models and feel the NF is a much tougher scope, glass is very good with either, <span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span> slightly better in the IOR, but for me reliability and sturdiness beat any miniscule difference in glass quality. Not to mention, the NF is made here in the US. NF for me. </div></div>

By the US you mean Japan?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: animalmother85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using a NF 2.5-10x24 on mine. I have no experience with the newer stuff from IOR, but I have used one of their older models and feel the NF is a much tougher scope, glass is very good with either, <span style="text-decoration: underline">maybe</span> slightly better in the IOR, but for me reliability and sturdiness beat any miniscule difference in glass quality. Not to mention, the NF is made here in the US. NF for me. </div></div>

By the US you mean Japan? </div></div>

I'm thinking that particular model is US made.

The NXS 1x4x and the NXS 2.5x10 are make in the USA, and they are in the process of setting up to make all of the scopes in house!
this was a big selling point for me, I have both

My 2.5-10x is marked "MADE IN U.S.A."

I think the 2.5-10x would be ideal for the MWS. Or at least it looks cool.

I stand corrected...my NXS 5.5-22x56 is maked "Made in Japan"...waaa waaaa waaaaaaaaa
frown.gif

You could also look at the IOR 2.5-10 FFP, USO 10X and the leupold M3 scopes. I think you could get a BDC dial through leupold that is calibrated for whatever handloads your rifle likes best as well.

Is it that the IOR Spartan is relatively new, not many out there? There definitely seems to be a preferance for the NF. thanks.

Jeff

I have been very interested in the Spartan for a while too, but it seems like nobody has one. The bdc elevation knob is a cool feature, but I wonder how accurate it is.

I've debated these scopes before, but now I'm debating the Nightforce 2.5-10 vs a USO 1.8-10. The thing that turned me away from the IOR 2-12 was that the BDC knob is cammed for the settings. I asked Scott at Liberty and he said its set for those increments and that's it, no MOA or mil adjustments in between. I may have misunderstood, but that was a huge turn off to me.

"Made in USA" does not really mean to much to me. I've got a S&B and a couple of Zeiss scopes and honestly I'm glad they are made in Germany. I don't think they would be what they are if they were made in USA. The sad fact about American manufacturing is that if we have a monopoly on an industry, quality goes to crap. I'm glad for companies like S&B, Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, HK, FN, Steyer, Sako, etc. who still put old world pride into their products. There really aren't too many American products that would stand up to the brands I just named. Maybe a few, but not many. And my list is not even a definitive list. SIG used to be a brand I really trusted, when they were made in Germany and Switzerland, but since they have moved manufacturing to US they have really gone down. Just my .02 worth, I know it is an unpopular opinion.

I was interested in the Spartan myself, until I did more research on the Spartan. It has some sort of funky system of measurement and adjustment on the elevation. I just got another Nightforce and quite banging my head against a wall about it.

Unless money is absolutely no object, I really don't think that a Nightforce could ever be the wrong answer.

I like the IOR Spartan but I would recommend going with the NF 2-10x32mm. We sell both so if we can be of help feel free to ask.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2hVk8aqU9k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M2hVk8aqU9k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

Thanks, yes I have watched this video Several times. Seems to be the general consensus.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, yes I have watched this video Several times. Seems to be the general consensus.

Jeff </div></div>

So which scope did you go with?

Leaning towards the NF, I have an old 6-20 Leupold I can put on it for now. better for load work anyway.

Jeff

I took a good look at the IOR 2-12. It just didn't impress me like the NF 2.5-10X32. I wanted a solid, dependable scope as much or more than the mag range and the Schott glass.