• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR Warranty with no Sales Receipt

Wuzup101

Private
Minuteman
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with IOR as far as warranty work is concerned. I recently purchased a 2nd Gen 3-18x42 SH edition from a member on another message board. I believe that I am the second or third owner of the scope; however, the man who I purchased it from said that he bought it new with the intention of building a precision rig but due to health problems is no longer persuing that (it was sitting around his house all that time. The scope was in perfect condition from what I could tell when I purchased it. It sure didn't look like it was ever mounted. Heck it doesn't look it spent much time outside of the box. I got the proof of purchase / owner registration form with the scope; however, I didn't get a sales receipt.

Today I was at the range shooting at ~8 power when I noticed my shots were stringing right (with no wind and no adjustments made). I dialed the scope up to 18x to get a better look. When I put my eye back down to take a look, the scope was totally blurry (couldn't even make out the reticle). I dialed back down to 10x and it looked just fine... so I dialed back to 18x but I couldn't quite get the ring to turn to 18x (I didn't want to force it... but it seems like it's stuck about 1/8-1/4 inch from the 18 mark... again... all blurry... when I dialed back down... even 10x is blurry... the only way I can get a clear picture is in the 3-5x range (obviously something is wrong). You can also feel a distinct "take up" in the power ring as you zoom in (much like the notchy feeling on a combination lock when the internal plates move around). It never had this feeling before. Furthermore, there is also a small piece of something on the same plane as the reticle (might be a shaving... I don't know).

In any case, what is the chance that IOR will fix this scope without an original sales recipt (I assume that the money order payment recipt from my actual purchase doesn't count lol)?

I knew there were some issues with the IOR scopes; however, I figured for my purposes it would be just fine. It's mounted on a 308 that has 180 rounds through it (though I can't remember the exact round count when I mounted the IOR... but it was never mounted on anything else). Mounted in IOR low rings per their instructions.

Re: IOR Warranty with no Sales Receipt

Call Scott at Liberty Optics. He can answer any question you'd have about these scopes. Sounds like your internals went to hell. Seems to be fairly common on the older SH edition scopes. If you search around on this site you'll see that IOR will generally replace it with a new gen. 4, if I'm not mistaken.

Alright, actually I was planning on calling or PMing Scott (he sold me my rings and seems to be a generally awesome guy). I've read about plenty of problems related to the older gen scopes (so I knew that a problem was a possibility down the line)... just not many specifically about how good their warranty support is (though I've heard that it has improved from what it once was). I'd hope so, as their optics aren't exactly cheap (but the glass sure is beautiful).

Scott is a great guy and it wouldn't hurt to give him a call, but if he didn't sell it Val's gonna be the guy that makes the call on what to do for you. Val has improved his CS exponentially in the past couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he took care of it, but he's gonna be the one to make that call.
IOR Valdada: 303.979.4578
When I bought my SH 3-18 (first gen) I called Val and made sure I could get support and he said it would be cool (they swapped out my mismarked knobs from the first run, but that was the extent of CS I needed).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott is a great guy and it wouldn't hurt to give him a call, but if he didn't sell it Val's gonna be the guy that makes the call on what to do for you. Val has improved his CS exponentially in the past couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he took care of it, but he's gonna be the one to make that call.
IOR Valdada: 303.979.4578
When I bought my SH 3-18 (first gen) I called Val and made sure I could get support and he said it would be cool (they swapped out my mismarked knobs from the first run, but that was the extent of CS I needed). </div></div>

Yup, I realize that Val has to make the call. I tried that number yesterday and the message said that they were still at the SHOT show... I'll try giving them a call Monday (I believe that's when the message said that they would be back). I'm curious as to who origionally sold the scope (I know Liberty was one of the big retailers of IOR scopes; however, I don't know many other companies that sell IOR - only really swfa).

Hope you get squared away. I just had my gen 2 replaced with a gen 4. It took no time at all once they received it. Just remember that UPS does not ship to PO Boxes. Made that mistake and it took about an extra week and a half. DUH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aggie Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope you get squared away. I just had my gen 2 replaced with a gen 4. It took no time at all once they received it. Just remember that UPS does not ship to PO Boxes. Made that mistake and it took about an extra week and a half. DUH. </div></div>

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll use USPS then. I didn't know about the P.O. box thing... and I probably would have done the same damn thing!