• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Iron sights for DPMS LR-308 w/Lo-pro upper?

ArnieElkins

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2006
Harvest, AL, USA
I have a DPMS LR-308 with their Lo-pro smooth sided upper. Since the upper has a rail that, according to DPMS, is 0.310" higher than their standard rail, that puts the gas block rail 0.310" below the receiver rail.

With the height differential established, I thought it would be easy to find a set of backup iron sights that would work for this configuration. Well, I am having no luck, as most manufacturers of sights do not have any dimensions listed for their parts. I even emailed a couple asking for information. GG&G says they don't have anything for that height, which is fair enough. YHM, on the other hand, told me that, although I would be able to use a standard AR-15 rear sight, that NO AR-15 front sight would work on a .308! Well, that must be news to DPMS, as they clearly state in their FAQ on the website that 'any standard AR-15 sights will work on the LR-308 series rifles'. Hmm.

None of the information I have found to this point has answered my question. Are there sights that will work on a high railed upper with a gas block mounted front sight?

Thanks for any help you can provide. This information must be out there, but if it is, my Google-fu must be very much weaker than normal.

Arnie, aka ImaShooter
imashooter at verizon dot net