• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a Savage Worth the time to customize

Re: Is a Savage Worth the time to customize

Yeah the ability to work on my own rifle really sealed the deal for me buying a Savage. Once I get enough good long range experience with the .308 barrel I'd love to switch to a .260 tube.

can a savage be rebarreled without a gunsmith does the barrel nut and a go guage really make it that easy

This is from Brownell's tech department.

Rebarreling Your Savage Rifle
By Mark Hudson

This month we’re going to show you how to re-barrel a Savage Model 110 bolt action rifle; one of the easier rifles to re-barrel. The techniques apply to the entire 110 series. All you need is a Barrel Vise (available with either steel or aluminum bushings) with the appropriate bushing for the barrel diameter that you are removing, and a Barrel Nut Wrench. By the way, this wrench works on both the old, round notch and new, square notch barrel nuts.

On the average bolt rifle, you establish correct headspace by lathe-turning the shoulder on the barrel. However, with the Savage, all you have to do is remove the firing pin and ejector from the bolt, insert a GO Headspace Gauge into the chamber, screw the barrel into the receiver until the gauge bumps up tight against the bolt face, tighten the barrel lock nut and you have a barrel that is set up to minimum headspace. Let’s go through the steps, one by one.

First, completely disassemble the rifle, remove the bolt from the action, remove the stock, and, if you have a scope, remove it, too. You can leave the bases on; they shouldn’t get in the way. Completely disassemble the bolt; make sure you remember how it came apart so you can reassemble it later.

Here’s a quick rundown on how to take the bolt apart. Start by removing the rear bolt plug. Depending on the age of your rifle, it will be a large, standard screw slot, on later models it will be an Allen head. Remove the bolt handle, remove the baffle assembly, pull out the cocking piece pin, and remove the cocking piece sleeve followed by the firing pin assembly. Now, pull the bolt head off the front of the bolt. Remember how the washer comes off so you can replace it the same way. Next, remove the front baffle. Remove the ejector so when you are setting your headspace you don’t feel the tension that it adds against the gauge.

You’re now ready to remove your old barrel. Slide the Barrel Nut Wrench down the barrel and onto the barrel nut. Clamp the barrel in your barrel vise and loosen the barrel nut with the barrel nut wrench. If your gun is old or rusted you may want to put some Kroil on the joint at the receiver and the joint between the barrel and barrel nut.

Reassemble your bolt without the firing pin or the ejector installed. Slip the headspace gauge into the bolt face and let the extractor hold it in place. Slide the bolt into the receiver and let the bolt handle fall into the loaded position. Screw the barrel nut all the way onto the barrel, followed by the recoil lug.

Next, start the barrel into the receiver and tighten it down until it just “bumps” against the gauge. Check the recoil lug to make sure it’s locating protrusion is in the recess in the action. Work the bolt handle. You should feel a little resistance at the very bottom of the bolt stroke. If the bolt is tight all the way, unscrew the barrel slightly. If there isn’t any resistance at the bottom of the stroke, tighten the barrel a whisker. When you get that slight resistance, your headspace is correctly set at the minimum.

Clamp the barrel back in the barrel vise. Tighten the barrel nut against your lug and receiver. Use a pretty fair amount of force turning the nut. Remember, you are bringing together four different pieces of steel. I like to snug it tight by hand, then whack it a good one with a rawhide mallet to put the final "oomph" on it.

Double check the headspace by making sure the bolt will close on the go gauge, this time without resistance. Put a piece of .001” or .002” shim stock between the bolt face and headspace gauge and again attempt to close the bolt. You should feel resistance or it may not close at all. That tells you that all is well in the headspace department.

After you re-assemble the bolt with all the parts, reassemble the rifle and scope, you’re ready to head to the range with the rifle you just re-barreled yourself.

---

and: http://www.varminter.com/particles/poorman2.htm

My brothers savage is way more accurate than my 700. The other day he did a .2 MOA group at 100 and .4 MOA at 300. He bought the gun used with a bell and carlson stock, the thing still has about a 4# trigger and stock barrel.
DSC01796.jpg

223hornadyvmaxpicjpg.jpg

the rifle
IMG_2568.jpg

As with anything else, its all about proper practice.

dawm thats pretty good i saw that shillen sells the select match barrels in the factory straight taper tactical contour ready to go on chambered and everything for just under 400.
so what i am thinking is i could keep the factory barrel to use for 308 and buy another one in 243 and just swap back and for as needed wow that nice

Savage 10FP.......customized

IMG_0091.jpg

1shot2kill

Check out northlander shooting supply on savageshooters.com. He sells match shilen and mcgowen savage chambered prefits for under 300.

YES, savage is as good a factory shooter as a remmy, and I would bet not one guy reading this post right now has not customized his remmy.

Have fun with it!

I can do a barrel change in less than 10 minutes. I modified my Wheeler barrel vise into an action vise that holds the recoil lug securely. On occasion you will run into a barrel nut that was installed at the factory by a gorrila on steroids. I use a cheater bar on the barrel nut wrench or give the wrench a smack with a framing hammer and they have always broken free (sometimes with a loud crack). I reinstall mine with a good snug fit and give the wrench a light rap with a leather mallet just to be safe.

The savage action is very nice and well built IMHO. I think just as good as the 700 but obviously not as popular.

I have heard that savage rifles have a slow lock time? I am not saying this is a fact, just what i have heard. Anyone care to elaborate any factual info? Lee

BS, the Savage FT/R is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles made. I'd rather have a Tikka but the Savage is a fine rifle.

Here is my Savage 10FPLE .308 with no mods to it other than skim bedding the EGW 25MOA tactical rail...

100_7950.jpg

And here is what she will do from the factory. This 3 shot group is @ 200yards... sub-1/2MOA, even with the factory tupperware stock that everyone seems to hate. The only thing I don't love about this rifle is the blind centerfeed magazine. I just shoot it as a single shot...

AOut27.jpg

I really like Savage. Even if you spend a small fortune on a remmie, your Savage still might out shoot it.

Seems like some like to see how many $$$ they can cram into a .5 MOA rifle.

It's really nice to be able to do all your own upgrades and end up with a tack driver that can hang with the high dollar rigs.

It would be nice to have more of a selection for a DBM for the Savage. Did the v-bull quit making DBM's for the Savage? The Remington has an advantage in this dept, though I never did like the design of the DBM's they wear (Badger, etc). Looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

I seem to remember another maker of a Savage DBM but I forgot who that was.

Got the call from manners and the stock is done t4 w/ gap cammo.will post pic's when the gun is complete.

I bought a Stevens 200 in .223 (1 in 9") to use for suppressor demo gun. I cut the barrel to 17" and threaded it, glassed the action and put a 3/8" steel rod in the forearm and glassed that in place while I made sure the barrel is free-flated. Using the original Savage trigger breaking at about 4 lbs.

Results....under 3/4 MOA with most things I can feed it and my subsonic loads using Trail Boss and the 82 gr Berger HPBT or SMK's seated backwards shoots pretty quiet and into 2" at 100. yds.

Total investment...under $325 plus my time....yeah they are worth it!!!

This started out as a 10FP in .308win. I sent it to Kevin Rayhill for a stock, barrel, break, V-Bull DBM, and a true & time job. This Savage out shoots my GAP Rem 700, and it was about $1200.00 less. It's not as finicky with bullets as my GAP is either.

You will get some guys here that will swear that Remington is the only way to go on a precision rifle. Don't drink the koolaid! Savages have a number of features that lend to their accuracy, and with a bit of smithing they can be transformed into a serious competition rifle. There are a number of guys making aftermarket parts for the Savage rifles, so tricking your rifle out is not a problem. Yes, Savages are worth fixing up.

Customizing a Savage is doable and satisfying. Back in 2002, The 'Hide did a project building a Savage F Class rifle based on the .260 Rem chambering. Although it was in its commercial infancy, the .260 Rem chambering was being phased out by Savage, probably due to sluggish sales, and we ended up getting three of the last batch made.

Long story short, McMillan provided some very nice A3and A4 Stocks, SSS provided recoil lugs and triggers, as well as Ken Farrel 20MOA bases. At little or no cost to us beneficiaries, and I'm still beholdin' to them for it, as well as to Frank for providing the rifles.

We took them to the first (2002) Spirit of America week long matches at Whittington Center Raton NM, and even with the Savage factory 24" barrels, they were quite competitive in their (and our) first LR matches, and the following year, Danny S showed them all how its done, and went on to win the Carlos Hathcock Match outright, although he had moved on to another (6mm) chambering by then.

Savage has turned out to be extremely responsive to the wishes of shooters like ourselves, has made some evolutionary/revolutionary revisions and additions to their line, many of the custom mods one might envision have now been anticipated, and the newer factory rifles may be pretty close to perfect right O/O the box.

If you haven't visited their Home Site recently, you might get some interesting surprises. You will also see that they have raised prices to make these mods profitable; which is fair and equitable, but also makes those aftermarket custom mods still quite cost effective.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This started out as a 10FP in .308win. I sent it to Kevin Rayhill for a stock, barrel, break, V-Bull DBM, and a true & time job. This Savage out shoots my GAP Rem 700, and it was about $1200.00 less. It's not as finicky with bullets as my GAP is either.

You will get some guys here that will swear that Remington is the only way to go on a precision rifle. Don't drink the koolaid! Savages have a number of features that lend to their accuracy, and with a bit of smithing they can be transformed into a serious competition rifle. There are a number of guys making aftermarket parts for the Savage rifles, so tricking your rifle out is not a problem. Yes, Savages are worth fixing up. </div></div>

what barrel you got there?

bench

the aftermarket support has come a long way regarding savage and is constantly expanding so it jus keeps getting better and better

Bench,

That's a 26" Benchmark SS. It's a 1 in 8.5 twist for 260 Rem chamber. Shoots and cleans like a dream. I'm very impressed with Benchmark's quality.

I modified my Savage 112BVSS 300 WM into a 338 Edge as follows:

Savage 112 BVSS
Custom pad
Eagle Creek cheek rest
SSS bolt knob
SSS recoil lug
Epoxy bedded - Devcon
12 MOA Near base
Custom TPS rings
Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm MLR, Zero-stop, FFP
Shilen Select Match bull barrel, 28", 1/10"
Defensive Edge brake

Did all the work myself, except for the muzzlebrake installation. I've run a ladder tests and I'm currently developing a load with H1000, CCI 250 and Noslar AB 250grs. A couple of photos:

012.jpg

014-1.jpg

Savage 10FP .308 24" 1:10 with Holland QD muzzle brake threaded 3/4"x28 tpi by Mark Pharr, B&C Medalist, EGW 20 moa base, Burris signature zee rings med 30mm, Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm, shoots 1/2 moa easy with handloads.

cimg3951copy.jpg

5 @ 100y Lapua brass, 210m primer, 42.2 RE-15, 175SMK

dime.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like Savage. Even if you spend a small fortune on a remmie, your Savage still might out shoot it.

Seems like some like to see how many $$$ they can cram into a .5 MOA rifle.

It's really nice to be able to do all your own upgrades and end up with a tack driver that can hang with the high dollar rigs.

It would be nice to have more of a selection for a DBM for the Savage. Did the v-bull quit making DBM's for the Savage? The Remington has an advantage in this dept, though I never did like the design of the DBM's they wear (Badger, etc). Looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

I seem to remember another maker of a Savage DBM but I forgot who that was. </div></div>

CDI Precision

yes! most will shoot well enough out of the box.

there is still (for lsome reason) the misconception that savages are cheap and not worth much, which may hurt a resale value in an average market. so if you plan on selling it, this may hurt you.

however if keeping as a shooter, i'd pick the savage over a remmington, and just abouot everything else. the extra $ you save on the "name brand thing" will pay for alot of good glass or "custom" work and creature comfort trinkets.

plus alot of the stuff savage is putting out now IS what you'ld pay a smith to customize a plain jane rifle - without the wait. loving the bat / bas model 10's for that reason. most of the 10 and 12 series are "custom" out of the box from the factory, with a warranty on it to boot

The guys with stock Savage barrels do you guys notice your point of impact shift when your barrels get hot? The guys I see shoot stock savages face this issue during tactical matches.

I agree a stock Savage has a better bang for the buck over a Remi. I just find it hard to put any money into a Savage since most people think less of the Savage brand. I have a Savage 10 in the safe and still desire more at times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1017racing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys with stock Savage barrels do you guys notice your point of impact shift when your barrels get hot? The guys I see shoot stock savages face this issue during tactical matches.

I agree a stock Savage has a better bang for the buck over a Remi. I just find it hard to put any money into a Savage since most people think less of the Savage brand. I have a Savage 10 in the safe and still desire more at times.
</div></div>

My FCP will shift about 1/2" from cold bore, but stays there all day.

As far as resell I don't see any difference from the 700s locally. Similarly equipped 700s and 10FPs run roughly the same based on what kind of scope and aftermarket goodies it has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1017racing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree a stock Savage has a better bang for the buck over a Remi. I just find it hard to put any money into a Savage since most people think less of the Savage brand.</div></div>

You are not flipping a house, if it is a shooter then it is a shooter.

More than a few noses turned up at me when I showed up at a local club with a model 10 FCP-K but after I pulled my first targets some of them started asking questions about what I was shooting.

See my sig. That is my 100yrd 5rd group. You tell me if the knock of stevens can do that you have no reason to look any further.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Yeah, Savages are pretty good shooters. Here's my tomato stake:

Rifle-2.jpg

10FP-1.jpg

100 yard target:
100-1.jpg

200 yards:
200-1.jpg

Another 100 yard targt:
Brass.jpg

Wouldn't trade it for a Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob Opp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Another 100 yard targt:
Brass.jpg

Wouldn't trade it for a Remington.</div></div>

LOL. I love that. After not shooting for over a month my Salvage exploded a 308 round wedged into the target board at 100 yards with the first shot at it. Then nipped a second at 150. I'll try to post a pic of the target tomorrow nite, and there's a witness lurking here. Out of the box accuracy for the money no one else comes close. It makes me look way better than I am.

And the Remington 7600 with a Redfield Rev scope in the pic below held under an inch at 100 and under 2.5 at 250 with my Amax handloads that same day. If the trigger was a little better I'm sure it would improve even more. Pretty impressive for a little brush gun. I hope the quality and accuracy of this most recent 7600 (I've owned 3 new ones in 2 years) is an indication that Remington is turning things around in the QA dept.

way to dig these old threads up guys. is good to update stuff. plus we know the savage owners know how to use the search function

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1017racing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree a stock Savage has a better bang for the buck over a Remi. I just find it hard to put any money into a Savage since most people think less of the Savage brand. I have a Savage 10 in the safe and still desire more at times.
</div></div>

LMAO
Who gives a shit what someone thinks! I thought consistent results is what we all desire. Seems like there are quite a few guys on here doing that with their Savage rifles. But hell, as long as your not buying aftermarket parts that's more for us! The best part about having a savage is at the end of the month when you go over your bank statement you don't see a gunsmith on there, just your dealer!
smile.gif

Yes, they are worth customizing. But nowadays, if you can't find a Savage model that already comes G2G for what you want, you probably want something pretty unusual. They have a custom shop and they can be pretty cooperative, I hear...

Greg

Savages are a waste of time and money. Don't buy one, get a remmy.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">All you guys buying them is making the prices go up for me!!</span>

I enjoy the heck out of mine. I bought my 10 tactical back in 2000 and have had it ever since. Feb of '09 I sent to a smith to have all my work done to it. I wasn't confident enough of myself to do it, plus I wanted it painted, ect. blah blah blah. Ok so i'm a sissy.

I won't bother getting into Remmy bs. this or that brand, no point really, like trying to convince a sports fan that his team sucks. I don't care if you tell me that this or that brand is junk, I just shoot mine, and it shoots well. I have a whole mess of targets that will attest that myself, and my rifle are 1/2moa shooters "all day long". I could likely cherry pick a great 1/4moa target and post it here, but I am in agreement with LL's rules about cherry picked groups, either a 10shot group, 6x3 or 5x4(or 5). I've posted a 6x3 not too long ago, i've shot some more since but I don't see any point in posting them, gets boring after a while.

If you have money burning a whole in your pocket, and wanna spend it, spend it however you like, but don't tell me how I need to be spending my money.

Branden

My savage build will be here in a week or so. Here are the build specs. I will have pics when it gets done.

Savage 110 action blueprinted.
28inch Shilen Select Match SS barrel chambered in 6.5x55 swede
Nitriding by MMI Trutec
PDC stock
SSS recoil lug
SSS comp trigger
SSS bolt handle
Sightron SIII 6-24 scope
EGW 20 MOA base
Burris Xtreme rings

At first, I wasn't crazy about buying a Savage either but, once I shot it and saw the accuracy right out of the box, I realized it is the best stock bolt rifle available period. I have a 10 FCP K and with my handloads I can put 3-5 shots through the same hole @ 100 yards. I'm new to this forum but, I'llk post a pic of a decent group with my all stock Savage that I believe is as accurate as rifles that are priced in the 3-5k range. The accuracy makes hitting small targets at 500 yards almost automatic. 1st shot hits on golf balls at 300 yards. You'd be foolish not to buy one and dumb if you paid more for something only to have to upgrade it to reach this level of accuracy. My only complaint is that the magazine holds only 4 rounds. I paid $850 for the rifle. Trigger does not need to be upgraded. It has a better trigger pull than a jewel trigger. I have a few Rem 700's also but my Savage leaves them in the dust and I paid way more for each Rem. Army special forces doesn't use M24's with Leupold scopes. We used some Rem Sendero's but mostly Savage rifles in 300 WM with Zeiss, Swaro or S&B optics. We used what works not what gov. contracts say we're gonna use. I'm buying the same Savage rifle in 338 Lapua shortly.
Although I have not been to a range out to 1200 m (I live near Boston) , I know my rifle will be as accurate or better than any other .308 stock or custom made anywhere in the world. That's right. I said it. Accurate .308 out to 1200 meters. If I got re-deployed and took this Savage, 1200 meters or closer and Hadji gets dispatched. 1 shot is all that is needed if I make a good wind call.

If you haven't noticed, I defend Savage rifles. I used to think SF got hopped up Savage rifles but this stock Savage is even more accurate. Don't waste money on name brand fancy this and that. Just go get a Savage and spend your money on the best glass like an S&B with a Horus reticle and then spend the balance on ammo for the range.

recently, I was at the range and I happened to be there with my M1A and a local SWAT team's dept. was there breaking in 2 brand new Rem 700 SPS models I think and they used Federal match ammo. they couldn't get good groups out of them and the price tag was nearly 3k each. My M1a does 1/2 inch groups all day if I do my part but, is nowhere near as accurate as my Savage. During my conversation with the police officers, they asked what I thought the problem might be. I looked at the rifles and the actions were both wobbling around in the stocks. The police officers told me that they kept loosening despite tightening them a number of times. Rem quality control just isn't very good. Sloppy rifles for 3k a piece. I told them to just have a good gunsmith bed the actions or replace the stocks. Savage stocks don't look like Macmillan's but they have aluminum bedding blocks that are solid and help improve accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proulxlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At first, I wasn't crazy about buying a Savage either but, once I shot it and saw the accuracy right out of the box, I realized it is the best stock bolt rifle available period. I have a 10 FCP K and with my handloads I can put 3-5 shots through the same hole @ 100 yards. I'm new to this forum but, I'llk post a pic of a decent group with my all stock Savage that I believe is as accurate as rifles that are priced in the 3-5k range. The accuracy makes hitting small targets at 500 yards almost automatic. 1st shot hits on golf balls at 300 yards. You'd be foolish not to buy one and dumb if you paid more for something only to have to upgrade it to reach this level of accuracy. My only complaint is that the magazine holds only 4 rounds. I paid $850 for the rifle. Trigger does not need to be upgraded. It has a better trigger pull than a jewel trigger. I have a few Rem 700's also but my Savage leaves them in the dust and I paid way more for each Rem. Army special forces doesn't use M24's with Leupold scopes. We used some Rem Sendero's but mostly Savage rifles in 300 WM with Zeiss, Swaro or S&B optics. We used what works not what gov. contracts say we're gonna use. I'm buying the same Savage rifle in 338 Lapua shortly.
Although I have not been to a range out to 1200 m (I live near Boston) , I know my rifle will be as accurate or better than any other .308 stock or custom made anywhere in the world. That's right. I said it. Accurate .308 out to 1200 meters. If I got re-deployed and took this Savage, 1200 meters or closer and Hadji gets dispatched. 1 shot is all that is needed if I make a good wind call.

If you haven't noticed, I defend Savage rifles. I used to think SF got hopped up Savage rifles but this stock Savage is even more accurate. Don't waste money on name brand fancy this and that. Just go get a Savage and spend your money on the best glass like an S&B with a Horus reticle and then spend the balance on ammo for the range.

recently, I was at the range and I happened to be there with my M1A and a local SWAT team's dept. was there breaking in 2 brand new Rem 700 SPS models I think and they used Federal match ammo. they couldn't get good groups out of them and the price tag was nearly 3k each. My M1a does 1/2 inch groups all day if I do my part but, is nowhere near as accurate as my Savage. During my conversation with the police officers, they asked what I thought the problem might be. I looked at the rifles and the actions were both wobbling around in the stocks. The police officers told me that they kept loosening despite tightening them a number of times. Rem quality control just isn't very good. Sloppy rifles for 3k a piece. I told them to just have a good gunsmith bed the actions or replace the stocks. Savage stocks don't look like Macmillan's but they have aluminum bedding blocks that are solid and help improve accuracy. </div></div>

Good lord. People like this keep me from buying a savage. I'm not saying they are bad rifles, I've only shot a few, but this boisterous short story of bs is what I all too often see in threads about savages.

Has anyone out there actually put theirs through a real world trial and beating?

I love my savage doesn't have all the glitz and glam of a high dollar custom rig but it runs right there with em at all the events I attend

lefty that doesn't get me as much as bumping a 2 year old post
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proulxlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At first... accuracy. </div></div>

mmcd165.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lefty that doesn't get me as much as bumping a 2 year old post
frown.gif
</div></div>

Ah cripes, I did not notice that with all of the garbage my eyes were trying to process.