• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is bedding the AR barrel a myth? What's the best way?

Bedding/shimming/thermofit does not eliminate the shift.

I got 2nd place overall in Gas Gun PRS this year, and in talking with the guy that got 1st place (also a couple of the other guys in the finale gas gun squad) we see the same thing. 0.2-0.4 mils of elevation change in POI going from a bag to a bipod. We were mostly all using Aero enhanced (beefy barrel mount area), JP, or Seekins uppers, or something of that style. It was dead repeatable every time.

If you lock pretty much any AR-15 FF handguard into something like a tank trap-- like lock it down hard so it's wood-aluminum-wood with tension, it will shotgun pattern. If you torque the bipod left or right it will string shots left and right.

Here's the thing, the upper rail holds your optic, the upper receiver bore holds your barrel. ANY movement of the rail or the receiver bore is pretty much directly causing POI error. The barrel extension has something like .845" of "wheel base" in the upper. 0.2 mils over .845" is 0.000169". So whatever loading you do on the handguard needs to cause 1.7 TENTHS of deflection to the mouth of the upper. Not surprising that it happens.

We get spoiled with separated chassis/receiver setups in bolt actions with steel receivers-- Larger diameter (more rigid) larger clamping forces (more rigid, less slop), and steel on steel (more rigid), plus the chassis/stock and receiver are separated from each other. AR's are a different world.
Understood all, but none of what you described isolates the problem to the receiver flexing vs the barrel nut applying forces to a barrel that’s not completely firm in the receiver.

The barrel nut (barrel screw?) In the Aero/Seekins uppers doesn't touch the hand guard.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
The barrel nut (barrel screw?) In the Aero/Seekins uppers doesn't touch the hand guard.
And they are beefier where you say the receiver is flexing.

Both appear as though they still have force applied to the barrel from the handguard through the female threaded area for the barrel “nut”. In pictures it certainly looks like it’s all still connected, just with admittedly thicker aluminum there.

Also, 0.4mil sounds pretty extreme. Especially for vertical flex compared to horizontal due to the shape of the receiver in those axis. Even with very heavy sling tension(far more force than pushing into a barricade), I don’t think I’ve seen more than 0.2 mil of shift. I’ll have to double check though.

I wholly acknowledge an identified problem; I just don’t think we can draw a conclusion about the source of the problem. There needs to be more testing with isolated variables. It seems the Larue upper truly has zero contact with the barrel nut. And I’m curious about the new Ridgeline rifle coming out.

I have been thinking of doing some testing with different specific weights attached to a few different handguards using the same receiver/barrel to check shifts at 200 with free float handguards. But that wouldn’t identify the cause, only the shift between different handguard/barrel nut designs.

It’s a simple geometry issue. There is not a lot of meat behind the receiver thread on a milspec upper. That area flexes with the barrel nut when pressure is applied to the hand guard. This is common knowledge. It doesn’t matter how deep the extension goes. That is the flexi point.

It is a simple geometry issue which you clearly don’t understand. The extension protrudes beyond the weak point and having zero gap around the extension will stiffen it up and you stated that bedding wont help at all.

My girlfriend is a PE and can do the calcs and CAD drawings for her consulting fee of $300/hr if you want to put your money where your mouth is.

I just took my gas gun out to the range again yesterday to do POI tests on paper at 100yds. I zeroed with a bipod with a five shot group, then moved to a sand fill shmedium on the concrete table, supporting the balance point of the AR. Sure enough, I was shooting .4 - .5 low.

I just got a Wilson Combat .458 Socom billet receiver on Monday, so I'll try bedding the barrel and repeating the process, and see if it brings receiver/barrel extension flex down much. I was a bit surprised at how much the POI shift was, honestly. Its currently in a poverty pony upper with standard slip fit, using a PRI handguard and monolithic rail. I'd love it if bedding takes the variability down a bit.

It is a simple geometry issue which you clearly don’t understand. The extension protrudes beyond the weak point and having zero gap around the extension will stiffen it up and you stated that bedding wont help at all.

My girlfriend is a PE and can do the calcs and CAD drawings for her consulting fee of $300/hr if you want to put your money where your mouth is.

Gluing the barrel in doesn't make a meaningful difference in stiffness. Adding material between the barrel socket and the picatinny rail adds stiffness. The barrel socket still experiences bending moment behind the threads when the handguard is loaded on the end. If you mount the handguard in a picatinny vise mount, insert an MI receiver rod in the receiver without engage the barrel extension, and then lift up, push down, or twist, you can see the barrel deflection with the naked eye. You can measure it with a dial indicator too.

Reactions: Tokay444
Gluing the barrel in doesn't make a meaningful difference in stiffness. Adding material between the barrel socket and the picatinny rail adds stiffness. The barrel socket still experiences bending moment behind the threads when the handguard is loaded on the end. If you mount the handguard in a picatinny vise mount, insert an MI receiver rod in the receiver without engage the barrel extension, and then lift up, push down, or twist, you can see the barrel deflection with the naked eye. You can measure it with a dial indicator too.

Someone who is a PE with mechanical background says otherwise.

What are your qualifications other than monkeying with a picatinny vise which is probably the source of the flexing?

LOL, your cousins pool guy said so...got it!

My girlfriend is a PE dipshit. Someone who actually went to school for such things, passed the PE, and is an engineer.

I’ll take her word on it over someone who doesn’t know that plastic receiver blocks will allow the whole receiver to flex.

Why are you testing receiver flex by putting force on a receiver rod? That does not accurately represent forces applied to the handguard. You’re applying torque BEHIND the barrel extension.

Put the receiver in something like the vice block below. Then hang specific weights off the handguard. Use pullies if trying to apply upward force on the handguard. Put a level on the receiver picatinny if you want to check receiver flex. I doubt you’ll see any receiver flex.

ARVB-01.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you testing receiver flex by putting force on a receiver rod? That does not accurately represent forces applied to the handguard. You’re applying torque BEHIND the barrel extension.

Put the receiver in something like the vice block below. Then hang specific weights off the handguard. Use pullies if trying to apply upward force on the handguard. Put a level on the receiver picatinny if you want to check receiver flex. I doubt you’ll see any receiver flex.

ARVB-01.jpg

Wheeler makes one of those with a picatinny rail clamp on the other side. Flip the receiver over instead of pullies.

Wheeler makes one of those with a picatinny rail clamp on the other side. Flip the receiver over instead of pullies.
But then you’ve changed the system. When shooting, the upper is secured by those pins, and not by the picatinny.

ARVB-01.jpg
Pretty sure this has been done and documented already. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm almost positive that I've seen this testing with weights hanging off various hand guards done before and the deflection recorded for each different handguard. Now I'm not sure if there was any measurements taken for the actual receiver flexing *which I believe is what you're talking about* but they might have. I will see if I can dig this up.

Last edited:
Looks like on a flat top upper, a 20lb weight hanging off the handguard, caused .0015" of flex at the receiver.

With a carry handle like a typical m4, the deflection was .0010" at the receiver. The carry handle adds some rigidity to the system. I suppose there are other ways to add rigidity to the system as well, though I don't know what effect shimming or gluing would have. I would think that IF, you could glue it well enough and that glue held at applicable Temps, it would add some level of rigidity to the system for sure, but not sure how much.

I would think (though id have to draw a force diagram and go through some steps to be sure i havent overlooked something in the system- ) Much like force in a beam, for the receiver to flex "downward", the top part of the threaded portion must pull apart so the speak, and the bottom part of the threaded portion must push together. If you could effectively attach the barrel steel to the receiver, it would provide a considerable amount of rigidity to keep that from happening, mainly in the top portion of the threaded part of the receiver, since that part would be in tension (if we are talking about pulling down on the hardguard and threaded part of the receiver). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure this has been done and documented already. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm almost positive that I've seen this testing with weights hanging off various hand guards done before and the deflection recorded for each different handguard. Now I'm not sure if there was any measurements taken for the actual receiver flexing *which I believe is what you're talking about* but they might have. I will see if I can dig this up.

I spent some time talking to Kino about this when Vltor first started machining the MUR (prior to casting). The ejection port compromises the M4 receiver even when adding material to the other side. The receiver experiences bending moment right behind the socket. There are only a couple ways of meaningfully strengthening the upper such that loading the handguard doesn't deflect the barrel; material change, integrating handguard to the upper (monolithic with bridge between the barrel socket and rail), and a handguard mounted to the rail (I mentioned this somewhere in this thread). Vltor went with the last option (so did ARMS).

Reactions: Tokay444
I spent some time talking to Kino about this when Vltor first started machining the MUR (prior to casting). The ejection port compromises the M4 receiver even when adding material to the other side. The receiver experiences bending moment right behind the socket. There are only a couple ways of meaningfully strengthening the upper such that loading the handguard doesn't deflect the barrel; material change, integrating handguard to the upper (monolithic with bridge between the barrel socket and rail), and a handguard mounted to the rail (I mentioned this somewhere in this thread). Vltor went with the last option (so did ARMS).
I see, it just pushed the moment back to the next weak spot... yeah, that makes sense.

Seems like a steel rod or something could be put through the length of the thing to stiffen it up. Maybe material change is the easiest fix though not sure what that would do to the rest of the operating parts of the rifle ect....

Do you have part 1? I searched but didn’t see it come up.

Definitely interesting data, but it is really hard to follow without his first part. Like, what are his chamber gauge deflection measurements? What’s that setup look like?

Billet steel upper is the easy & obvious answer. I can't believe no one make one. Everyone shooting these in prs type matches is adding weight anyway. I would never buy another aluminum upper if this was an option. Hell if it was designed in Solid Works with FEA analyses it could be lightened to within 3 -4 oz of the AL receiver @ + 50 - 80% rigidity improvement. That's about the weight difference between a NF mount vs a M-Brace or Spuhr.

Definitely interesting data, but it is really hard to follow without his first part. Like, what are his chamber gauge deflection measurements? What’s that setup look like?

May as well just use solid works. The MRS was the best solution. Everyone else just ignores the flexing M4 receivers because it isn't all that significant when you start looking at how most AR's are used.

Reactions: PappyM3
Billet steel upper is the easy & obvious answer. I can't believe no one make one. Everyone shooting these in prs type matches is adding weight anyway. I would never buy another aluminum upper if this was an option. Hell if it was designed in Solid Works with FEA analyses it could be lightened to within 3 -4 oz of the AL receiver @ + 50 - 80% rigidity improvement. That's about the weight difference between a NF mount vs a M-Brace or Spuhr.

It's been done. Hard Times Armory did steel receivers in the 80's and 90's. Amalgamated did Titanium receivers in the late teens.

It's been done. Hard Times Armory did steel receivers in the 80's and 90's. Amalgamated did Titanium receivers in the late teens.

I know it's been done, but why the hell is no one selling a steel or Ti upper?? The upper is really the key piece for positional accuracy in the comps we shoot.

If anyone finds a steel or Ti upper for sale please let me know.

May as well just use solid works. …
Using a computer model was one of my early recommendations to isolate receiver flex from barrel extension movement in the receiver.. But, I don’t have that software.

Edit: and run Monte Carlo testing for various tolerances around the barrel extension.

Last edited:

I edited the other post to include part one also

Reactions: PappyM3
I edited the other post to include part one also
Thanks!

I’m still not completely sold that it is (or perhaps is ALL) receiver flex. He noted less movement in the carry handle upper, but the two uppers don’t necessarily have the same diameter around the barrel extension. It’s another variable.

I did appreciate him heating up the area as another test.

I’d love to see a repeat of the test using the same upper, but using two different barrels. One with a standard barrel extension and one with an oversized extension requiring a thermal fit. That way you keep the receiver the same. For testing the carry handle upper, I guess one would just have to try and find one with a nearly identical inner diameter where the barrel extension is inserted.

Still though, great data and thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I’m still not completely sold that it is (or perhaps is ALL) receiver flex. He noted less movement in the carry handle upper, but the two uppers don’t necessarily have the same diameter around the barrel extension. It’s another variable.

I did appreciate him heating up the area as another test.

I’d love to see a repeat of the test using the same upper, but using two different barrels. One with a standard barrel extension and one with an oversized extension requiring a thermal fit. That way you keep the receiver the same. For testing the carry handle upper, I guess one would just have to try and find one with a nearly identical inner diameter where the barrel extension is inserted.

Still though, great data and thanks for sharing.
There's so many variables it's hard to speak in absolutes with any of this stuff. Material change is the best answer and it's kind of hard to understand how that isn't more available. I guess most folks have all the precision they want out of a solid ar as is. We are just always pursuing the last bit of precision we can squeeze out of any system and most of us are bolt gun guys who are then moving into the ar platform, so our expectations are very high.

I'm going to go to my buddies tomorrow and hit him up to make some steel uppers and see what he says. He already mills uppers himself for a ton of folks so maybe he will dona run for us?

Reactions: antecedent
I'm going to go to my buddies tomorrow and hit him up to make some steel uppers and see what he says. He already mills uppers himself for a ton of folks so maybe he will dona run for us?
Would that not simply be the matter of a tool change to accommodate steel if he already has the programming?

Would that not simply be the matter of a tool change to accommodate steel if he already has the programming?
That's over my head but it seems like it would be for me. If we had enough of them I think he'd do it but not sure what he'd charge or anything. How many guys would want one or more than one? If we got a decent number then I think he'd do it. He has been milling them a long time and makes suppressors and all that stuff. He got pissed at the put of spec uppers he got years ago and so he started making them himself among other things.

My girlfriend is a PE dipshit. Someone who actually went to school for such things, passed the PE, and is an engineer.

I’ll take her word on it over someone who doesn’t know that plastic receiver blocks will allow the whole receiver to flex.
Diversity is our ar-15’s strength.

That's over my head but it seems like it would be for me. If we had enough of them I think he'd do it but not sure what he'd charge or anything. How many guys would want one or more than one? If we got a decent number then I think he'd do it. He has been milling them a long time and makes suppressors and all that stuff. He got pissed at the put of spec uppers he got years ago and so he started making them himself among other things.
Put me down for 2 x steel uppers. If they were straight up same dimensions as a std upper I'd be happy. DLC on a steel upper would be tits.

If your buddy is all set up for Aluminum I'd gladly take a heavy wall 7075 like the old Mega uppers.

Mega 3/8 heavy walled upper below right. These were like 2013 I think.

1702091019658.png

Put me down for 2 x steel uppers. If they were straight up same dimensions as a std upper I'd be happy. DLC on a steel upper would be tits.

If your buddy is all set up for Aluminum I'd gladly take a heavy wall 7075 like the old Mega uppers.

Mega 3/8 heavy walled upper below right. These were like 2013 I think.

View attachment 8291828
I will talk to him and see what he would do. I'd like to have a few myself so maybe we can work something out. I need to go by there anyway and see em.

If they’re billet, probably. If they’re forgings, no. Unless he has a source for forged steel uppers.

If they’re billet, probably. If they’re forgings, no. Unless he has a source for forged steel uppers.
Pretty sure the ones he normally does are forged that he then puts in his cnc and mills but I'm not sure what all he can get or will do. He "can" do about anything, but it's always a question of if it's worth it. He's got a machine operator thats ridiculously tedious about everything he does. He's a little weird but he's a good dude and a legit fantastic machinist. I just don't know if my buddy will agree to it for a small batch. Depends on how backed up he is probably.

We have data posted already, and I have my own seat of Solidworks and am also an engineer.

I have a poor shooting upper and going down the rabbit hole of how to improve it. The BE to receiver fit is the loosest I have seen. I ordered .001" shim stock but worried that won't be thick enough.

Can I just stack 2 pieces of .001" shim instead of buying .002"?

I have a poor shooting upper and going down the rabbit hole of how to improve it. The BE to receiver fit is the loosest I have seen. I ordered .001" shim stock but worried that won't be thick enough.

Maybe, but I would just use the .001” and some 620 loctite. That’s what I did to the last two I worked on, both shoot great now.

BCM demo receivers were and still may be about 50 bucks. They have a nice tight fit with my RRA lowers and are thermal fit on the barrels. I just thermal fit glued a really good shooting Valkirye barrel into one. I have a receiver that is not thermal fit to test barrels in before thermal fit and glue. Check your mounts and stuff too. I have Rainer ultra match 6 arc I was about to complain about. I tried a few bullets and powders. I ended up changeing the scope riser and found the one on it was not very tight.

I tried .001" and it was still loose, tried .002" and that was a no go. Rather than using .001" and 620 loctite, I just went with the .002" and some heat and slipped the barrel in, I did have too tap it in the last little bit as the upper had cooled down. In the end had an excellent fit and very nice grouping. I would do it again if the need arises.

There's a company called "Triggershims" that sells 3 packs of shim stock for under $15, including shipping. The most common pack includes 1 ea of 0.001", 0.0015". and 0.002" thick shim stocks, but you can mix and match up to 0.007" thick.

Reactions: rothgyr

You can also have the upper Cerakoted with an emphasis on adding material to the barrel extension tunnel, but masking off the carrier raceway.

Whenever I come across an upper that is loose-goosey, I either throw it in a bin or have it Cerakoted as described above.

Reactions: Rocketvapor

You can try. I doubt that SS foil doubled up will play nice. I keep a box of .0015" and .001" around. Probably used the .0015" 5 to 1 over .001" until I started using reportedly undersize uppers. I seem to remember using .002" once. It must have been a hotdog down a hallway set up but can't recall which gun it was....

As someone else mentioned, a BCM is not very expensive (when they're available) and you know it will be a thermal fit unless you have shrinkage on your extension.

2 double entendre's in one post.

Thanks, I placed an order at triggershims.com. very nostalgic lol.

This upper is using a proprietary BE and receiver, so upgrading the parts is not an option.

Shimming seems like less trouble and expense than cerakoting, plus its already painted.