• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Israeli NV Goggles SU-49/PAS 5A/Type NV5151

11D20

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2010
Arizona
These goggles were made by ITT and were used by MAC V in Vietnam...They were brought back here to the U.S. after Israel quite using them and purchased and developed the AN/PVS 5 Goggles....
Although, they are IR, a friend of mine purchased them before I did recently and I must say that they work similar to a 2nd generation device....I got to look through them and they looked better than my AN/PVS 2 weapon site and as good as the PVS-4 scope....

Problem is, not being able to find any good information on them as for repairing them....I was able to download a service manual and currently awaiting the battery I ordered and the goggles to arrive....

I think I have found a vendor that might have oscillator parts and perhaps, even replacement tubes, but until I get the goggles in my hands, I am not going to do anything until I test them out...

One thing I have learned is that the switch is the most delicate part of the unit and if carefully inspected and repaired they should work....

I do not know how to download a photo of them, but I understand that they were used in Silence of The Lambs....

If anyone has any experience with these goggles, especially in repairs, please share your experiences...I am also a ham radio operator and have the necessary skills in some electronics repair...

Re: Israeli NV Goggles SU-49/PAS 5A/Type NV5151

Got the goggles today and they work after I made a new ground inside the battery cap...That is all that was wrong with them...Cleaned them up and they should work for a long time...

will use them tonight for a night drive in the woods with just running light on...

Now, for a pair of AN/PVS 5 goggles to complete my bug out kit~!

I don't think you can just take a unit apart in your house and repair it. You may want to check into purging the unit and have it run on a test bench. If it works to your liking I would just use it until it dies. I think repairs would outweigh the worth. I had a couple of 5's, but moved on to the new stuff. Good luck!

One chance:
Actually, that is what I did, as well as a friend of mine did...We both got the same goggles and all of them had some sort of problems wrong with them...All together we got 5 of them...Most common problem was with the switch...In my case a contact was missing for the ground....Then, when I got the ground replaced by using a click type pen spring that fit into the hole, there was the problem of hissing and popping from the oscillator...so I took out all of those small screws and cleaned all of the contacts and pulled out the tubes after I discharged all of the current...The tubes are marked 7114 on each of them...I cleaned all surface lenses and cleaned the contacts and now the scope works perfectly....I am not worried about purging the goggles, since they are so old, but I can repair most electronic devices and have repaired radios for several years....If I can learn how to post pictures, I will post 2 pictures of the goggles viewing from a camera
Snapshot_20100713_5.jpg
Snapshot_20100713_5.jpg
Snapshot_20100713_4.jpg

They are no harder than working on an old TV, actually easier, because there are fewer parts and the power flow is easier to trace~!

One chance:
By the way, I didn't do them in the house...I did them in my RV and used a volt meter and checked for continuity of the parts...

Enjoy the photo's and yes, I have even repaired the AN/PVS 2 scopes also~!

Dang am I getting good at this~!
Snapshot_20100713_3.jpg

ME CLOWNING AROUND IN KEVLAR HELMET AND OLD SCHOOL AN/PAS 5 GOGGLES

wow...so how much do the goggles cost? i've ALWAYS wanted a pair of goggles just to goof around in...just something i could wear out in the woods at night or even use when hiking/camping

11d20, I am also interested in where you aquired these and the cost, if you could pm me the info it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
-Felipe

Well, I paid a premium on these goggles and paid a little more at $550.00, but they were/are in excellent condition....I do not know at this time where to get them and moreover, they are very rare...My friend and I got a total of 5 pair, but they had to be mixed and matched to get 2 good pairs for himself....I found mine on Craig's List in Anchorage Alaska....The individual did not know how to get them working, so I bought them knowing that most problems occur in the switch....Keep your eyes open on Ebay, Craig's List, and any Vietnam collectibles sites for these goggles....They were made by ITT, perhaps Varo...But they are gov'ment issue, so you know that they are tuff....Next best goggles that are better than these are the AN/PVS 5 goggles which can be bought on Ebay form $600.00 and up to $1,900.00 depending on condition

Type in AN/PVS 5 goggles in google shopping....PVS 5's can be had in gen 2 and gen 3....

UPDATE:
If your goggles are popping and sound like bacon frying in a pan, here is the cure for them....

Mine started popping and it got worse, until one evening I got zapped in the nose~! OUCH~! I would not want to get a full charge in the face with one of these...Here is the cure for popping...

1) with the goggles on, listen to the wine of oscillator against a good ear, (most vets have hearing loss, so find a good set of ears to listen to/for the popping sound....)

2)Once you determine what side of the goggles are popping, open the switch to lower the goggles and then with a jewelers screw driver remove the adjustment rings and rubber guard....Careful with the screws, there are very little threads to them and you can loose them easy...Do not remove them, loosen them only...

3) the diopter ring is next, loosen the two screws next to the stops and pop them off....They are the mat aluminum rings that stop the lens adjusters from over adjustment...Remember how they come off, otherwise they will not correspond with the adjustment numbers on the body of the goggles....There is actually 3 set screws on this item...do not remove them~!

4) The next piece is the two rings that hold the goggles to the face mask base...Using a punch small enough to be inserted into one of the holes in the bezel, rotate the rings counterclockwise, until the goggles are free of the frame...

5) With the goggles in your hand; eye objective looking at you, there is a center piece on the goggles that adjust the width of the goggles, remove by unscrewing this piece...You'll be looking at the back end of a plastic insulator (house's the oscillator) with a wire siliconed in place...Leave this alone~!

6) Now you are looking at the eye lens ring that secures the intensifier tube inside the goggle...Do not remove the lens itself, remove the outer ring that secures the tube inside the body.... Unscrew this and notice the o-ring inside either the cap, or the body of the goggles...do not loose this~!

7) you are now looking at the tube itself...You will notice two holes on the outer black ring...Insert your punch into this hole and rotate counterclockwise carefully, to remove the tube...If you screw this up, more than likely, your punch will pierce the body of the tube and now you have destroyed your tube, contaminated yourself with phosphorus and if you cut yourself, in the process, don't blame me for YOU not being careful ~!

7A) Now that you got the tube unscrewed, use your small screwdriver to lift the tube out of it's housing, again carefully, so you do not damage the contact inside of the body...

Clean both sides of the tube with a cue-tip and rubbing alcohol and set it aside in a non-static area...do the same to both objective lens on the outside, as well as the inside; Then to the eye lens; both outside, as well as inside...Set aside in a safe area, as you did the tube....Notice the tube type and let me know if they are different from mine...Mine was marked 7114...Let me know if they are different...

8) with the battery installed and one tube still in it's housing, turn the goggles on and while looking into the side that you heard the popping sound you should notice a spark arching in the body of the goggles...Most likely, it will be arching into a lateral groove that adjusts the goggles to make them wider, or narrower...If this is the case, than here is the cure...

I used Permatex gasket maker...The reddish brown goop that makes gaskets for engines and such....It has great insulation properties...Use a cue-tip and break off the cotton swab and carefully goop the stuff into the groove...Do not pack it into the groove, but cover the slot....Then cover the spot of the arch on the contact that sits inside of the groove....do not cover the contact part the contacts the tube body~!....

Once this is done, let it sit for about 10 minutes to cure the area...cut some pieces of electrical tape and with some small needle nose pliers, insert the tape to cover all of the goop and press tape carefully into place....once done with the tape, retest to insure that the arching has stopped...If not successful, recheck your work again, until the shorting condition stops...

9) reassemble the goggles in the reverse order and then either purge the goggles, or find a vendor that can purge them...50mm/inch's of nitrogen is in the order and remember to use a small amount of grease to seal the o-rings and to keep them from twisting/breaking when you reseal them....

That should get your goggles back into the game of things, as I did...No more popping/electrocutions to the face/nose~!

Also, something else that I learned about Israel's improvement on these goggles....There is a distinct difference between type 5151, SU-49/PAS 5 goggles and PAS 5A goggles.....The first one, type 5151, and SU-49/PAS 5, were infared tubes and needed to have the illuminator for them to work...On the other hand, the later version PAS 5A's were true 1st generation technology....They can be determined by not having the straight tube body that was used in Vietnam, by MAC V....5A's have a larger lens for eye and they taper down towards the front...But even the front lens is twice as big as the originals....I have only seen two of these and a friend of mine has them...He bought up the last that a vendor had and managed to assemble two of them up for himself....