• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Here she is in all her glory. Just have to finish up the floors (seal with epoxy/wax), some trim work, a little more painting, and then the MOVE! 3 weeks and counting. . .

WOO HOO!

Git yer wallets out n lets build some guns cuz now I gotta pay for this chit!
    smile.gif

DSC_0002-7.jpg

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0003-5.jpg

Re: IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!

Congratulations !!!! Hey since you are a gun maker ... which 20 MOA Picatinny rail do you recomend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations !!!! Hey since you are a gun maker ... which 20 MOA Picatinny rail do you recomend?

</div></div>

MINE. I make them in house. SS or Chromoly.

congrats Dix, nice to see some are doing well.

Ok its for my .308 with my Night Force 5.5-22-- which do you recomend.

Holy chit!!!!!!!!!! Make one hell of a biker bar for 2wks if the gun building gets slow.
    wink.gif
    Nice looking place. Guessing it is in the Industrial Park or close to???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok its for my .308 with my Night Force 5.5-22-- which do you recomend. </div></div>

Lots of variables here. First, what action are we talking about?

The choice of optics matters little. 2nd, do you really need a 20 MOA base? Are you shooting at 1K? If not then done bother as all your doing is essentially turning the gun "upside down" so to speak.

The whole point of an included base is to keep the refractor lens more centered to mitigate distortion.

Rebarreling special with action and bolt truing, 2 week turnaround for $359? Where do I ship it to? All kidding aside, looks like a nice building. It's pretty nice to have a workspace set up to your specs.

Gongrats. I was just happy to finally get a lathe. I can imagine you're pretty jacked up about a new shop.

Let me know when you're doing the move and I'll try to come give you a hand. Congratulations! I think it's going to be great!

I'm envious... and all the other smiths on the board are too. lol How much of it is for building rifles?

You aint paying for a building like that on a spread like that, building one rifle at a time... unless you have a handfull of ridiculously rich customers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quick Karl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aint paying for a building like that on a spread like that, building one rifle at a time... unless you have a handfull of ridiculously rich customers... </div></div>

Really?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quick Karl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aint paying for a building like that on a spread like that, building one rifle at a time... unless you have a handfull of ridiculously rich customers... </div></div>

I don't know Mr. Dixon at all, but from reading the forum here, I 'spect that he does a bit more than build a rifle once in a while.
    wink.gif

Congrats Chad, Where is it from the other shop? Still going to build bike parts too or just guns full time now?

Chad,

If you need a hand when the moving starts feel free to give me a call, you have my number. I am open weekends, I am sure Jamie and I could both come over and lend a hand. I figure I owe you at least that.

F**king hell Chad thats awesome but do you really need that much space or do I detect a much bigger picture here. Best wishes man, I hope to be standing inside there someday soon for a much needed visit.

Looks to me like someone is gearing up for some kind of production......Looks great and all the best!

Here ya go!

Like I said there's still quite a bit of work. Monday we begin cleaning up and prepping for the trim/paint work on the wall. Putting in a 5' gunmetal gray border from the floor in oil base to make cleaning easier. (hides dirt better too!)

Then I'll sterilize the floor and get it ready for the epoxy sealer. Then we WAX. If the Marine Corps taught me anything its how to buff a floor. (god bless em!)

Finally, the move. No matter how much I plan it'll end up being much like invasive dentistry minus the Novocaine. "just get it done" is basically my mentality. Luckily the 16k pound fork should be able to drive right in and plop the machines down. Half a day leveling them out, quick puff of ozone (cause I suck at wiring
    smile.gif
    ) and I'll be making chips again.

Just to answer the unified question everyone seems to have:

Yes, this is a bold move. NO, this isn't a facility that'll be whored out to any/all jobs that become caught in my gravitational pull. I'm a GUNMAKER. That is what I do. It's what this company does. Between my expanding product line, current work load, and the new stuff that I'll be announcing once the move is done, I'm confident (certain!) that there won't be an issue finding something to do to keep the wolves fed each month.

Keep in mind that for the last 5 years I've basically worked 7 days a week. 3 in the middle east, and 2 here getting to this point.

The most committed wins.
    smile.gif

Thank you again for the kind words and encouragement. It's well received.

All the best,

C

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    The most committed wins.
    smile.gif

</div></div>

Great philosophy to live by. Congrats!

Chad,

Building looks awesome, I am getting my barreled Dakota action out to you today, let me know when you get it. I will be filling out your form for it and my other builds and sending that as well.

Thanks,

Kris

Chad,

Is the building built on a metal building underneith the skin and interior work? I really like the way the outside has been done, with the stone work and the horizonal panels above. The litte canopies on the sidwalls I would bet they jack-up the metal building price if it's done by the metal detailers.

Looks great you have a good eye!

Ken

It's a stick build. 2x12" exterior walls. I HATE steel buildings for machine shops. The whole place just rings like a church bell when your inside it. Wood/sheetrock dampens everything so much better.

More money yes, but when your there 12+ hours a day there 5+ days a week it pays to have it comfortable. (right?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a stick build. 2x12" exterior walls. I HATE steel buildings for machine shops. The whole place just rings like a church bell when your inside it. Wood/sheetrock dampens everything so much better.

More money yes, but when your there 12+ hours a day there 5+ days a week it pays to have it comfortable. (right?)

</div></div>
    With a lot of those cushion mats on the floor for us guys that spend their whole life on our feet.
    smile.gif

Well done Chad!!

You never know if you don't have ago.

I agree with you about the steel buildings.
    Oven in summer and a freezer in winter!
    My new work shop will be framed up the same as a house insulation and all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The most committed wins.</div></div>
    How true!

Glenn

Congrats on the new facility Chad. That is very impressive, especially the 2x12 walls. As long as you have good insulation in the roof you will have low heating bills, even here in the midwest!

wow, that is a KILLER shop, nice bro. best of luck to ya.

I was speaking with a well known gunsmith recently, and I asked him about getting into the business....his response was,

"Do you wanna know how to make a million dollars building guns?.....start off with 2 million!" LOL!

Any truth to that...?

What would your price be and turn time on rebarreling a Stiller action chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I have a friend who is looking for a smith and I have family in the Black Hills and wouldn't mind seeing some business heading your way. We have a good smith here, but he is very busy and turn times can be horrible at times! Even getting ahold of him can be a trick alot of times. Anyway, hit me with a PM to give me an idea of what your Price/turn time would be.

Walls are painted, trim is routed/stained, and we got the preliminary wash done on the floor last night. One more good scrubbing and I can put the epoxy sealer down. Then the "real" fun can begin.

I loath moving. . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would your price be and turn time on rebarreling a Stiller action chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I have a friend who is looking for a smith and I have family in the Black Hills and wouldn't mind seeing some business heading your way. We have a good smith here, but he is very busy and turn times can be horrible at times! Even getting ahold of him can be a trick alot of times. Anyway, hit me with a PM to give me an idea of what your Price/turn time would be. </div></div>

Two bits hangs a new barrel. My turnaround is pretty quick normally for these jobs. If we haul ass I can do it before the move. Gimme a call!

C.

Looks like it just needs a shooting lane for test firing those creations of yours. Very nice big boy playground. Just be home in time for supper!

Looks really nice man. Now I'm jealous, I need one too. Maybe next year. I hate being out of space and power. Is there a lot open next to yours??
    wink.gif
    I already have the chopper ready for bike week.

ACRES are sittin north and west. Pick west as I have the north plot earmarked as a private runway for my lunch hour giant scale RC practice sections.
    smile.gif

Ps. Your late! Give Lonnie a call! PM or call me for his cell #!

Gettin closer! Paints done, finished cleaning the floor today too. Caulk the seams and apply the resin sealer is all that remains for the big jobs. Still got to hang a couple interior doors and the trim work. Electricians run the drops for machines and communications on Monday.

Soon as the floor cures ill start moving little stuff over. I'm guessing 10 days out before we go full tilt boogie.

Great way to start 2011!

C.

Great looking building!

Nice place Chad!
    I'm still planning to send you that old Newton rifle we talked about last fall, I got tied up with some other projects and haven't got my part of it done.
    I'll contact you first so I wont send it in the middle of your move.
    Jay Cutright