• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Jewell trigger woes

TexanAviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Houston
After throwing this in yesterday and adjusting it out. Finally did some dry firing today, until the sear block quit returning to position and basically slam firing each time.

Keep in mind this is a zero round count, bran new rifle. Think the sear will need to be replaced on my bolt as well? And do you think Jewell will replace it?

3412152807_962180b75b_b.jpg

hi-res http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3574/3412152807_962180b75b_b.jpg

3413301528_0f3f2a87a1_o.jpg

hi-res http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3413301528_0f3f2a87a1_o.jpg

3412958030_b91265199c_b.jpg

hi-res http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3412958030_b91265199c_b.jpg

Re: Jewell trigger woes

I don't think it will require replacing the firing pin cocking piece, I can't see the trigger sear well enough to say anything. The problem is assigning blame to the rifle or the trigger for what broke what... I would talk to both companies and see what each says. What is blocking the trigger sear down? I can't see in the picture

My personal thing would be to de-burr the trigger and free up the sear and try again, but I personally don't like the hassle of returning things if I can fix it myself.. Ask RussW1911 and NotAGuru, I "fixed" the trigger on my .375 with a file LOL

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is blocking the trigger sear down? I can't see in the picture

Dave </div></div>

Me holding it down with a punch.

Think I should just polish it down and call it a day?

Click on the links below the photos to see the blown up versions.

Carefully filed out the roughness down smooth... Reinstalled. Still sticking.

This trigger was not 100% right out of the box. Took some bending on the bolt release to get it in the groove on the bolt stop. And to be honest, seems to have quite a bit of creep which I did not feel in a friends identical trigger.

Going to see if they will replace it for me. Hopefully you guys don't think I need a new bolt sear as well since this unit apparently chipped/wore down the corner there.

Updated pic showing it in its non returned state

3413178212_bcce2c352a_b.jpg

hi-res http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3312/3413178212_bcce2c352a_b.jpg

The upper rear portion of the trigger housing is pushed inward (squeezed together), this often happens when drifting in the rear pin. It's binding on the cocking piece.

Take a flat blade screw driver (almost as wide as the ID of the trigger sides) and insert it just above where the pin goes through the trigger housing, gently pry the trigger sides outward a bit. You do this while the trigger is installed.

This doesn't happen with the front pin, because it has a bushing which keeps the front sides the correct distance apart. There is no bushing in the rear. If you try to insert the pin and the rear hole isn't perfectly aligned, or the pin is slightly oversized, you get this problem.

I dealt with a similar problem not too long ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The upper rear portion of the trigger housing is pushed inward, this often happens when drifting in the rear pin. It's binding on the cocking piece.

Take a flat blade screw driver (almost as side as the ID of the trigger sides) and insert it just above where the pin goes through the trigger housing, gently pry the trigger sides outward a bit. </div></div>

I tried that, albeit very gently. I drifted from left to right so you would think it would be the upper rear LEFT part pushed inwards... I am sick of messing with it but I suppose I will try it again. Going to wait to see what others have to say.

Do you think that damage to the firing pin sear (on the bolt) there on the corner needs to be replaced? I don't see how a little bit off could make that parts corner chip off like it did.

I am afraid to mess with it anymore to be honest. I am going to wait and see what people have to say about the bolt damage first.

edit- tried again... Still binding

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think that damage to the firing pin sear (on the bolt) there on the corner needs to be replaced? I don't see how a little bit off could make that parts corner chip off like it did.</div></div>

That piece is called the cocking piece. It is attached to the firing pin with a drift/cross pin. It's a $20 part, but I wouldn't replace it.

If it's just a chip missing, and has no burr, just forget about it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=190032

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think that damage to the firing pin sear (on the bolt) there on the corner needs to be replaced? I don't see how a little bit off could make that parts corner chip off like it did.</div></div>

That piece is called the cocking piece. It is attached to the firing pin with a drift/cross pin. It's a $20 part, but I wouldn't replace it.

If it's just a chip missing, and has no burr, just forget about it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=190032 </div></div>

Here is a better photo

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3413301528_0f3f2a87a1_o.jpg

Think it would be a good reason to upgrade it or would you not worry about it (now that you can see if it is a burr or chip)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">edit- tried again... Still binding</div></div>

Take the trigger out and spread it apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">edit- tried again... Still binding</div></div>

Take the trigger out and spread it apart.

</div></div>

With what? Sorry, but I am nowhere near a gunsmith, haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With what? Sorry, but I am nowhere near a gunsmith, haha</div></div>

A flat head screw driver, almost the same width as the ID of the trigger sides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexanAviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With what? Sorry, but I am nowhere near a gunsmith, haha</div></div>

A flat head screw driver, almost the same width as the ID of the trigger sides. </div></div>

I think I am going to call Jewell on Monday and see if they just want me to send it to them instead. I'd hate to start messing with something if they would rather have it back. Already called them last week about the bolt release being way off. They told me to take some pliers to it but I've about had it with this. For the money I should not be having to stick screwdrivers anywhere.

/mini-vent

haha

if it is the trigger plates, it is most likely from when it was installed. the bolt release adjustment is necessary with almost ANY trigger you install.

but it may also be related to the stuck bolt you just had. it seems too much of a coincidence IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it is the trigger plates, it is most likely from when it was installed. the bolt release adjustment is necessary with almost ANY trigger you install.

but it may also be related to the stuck bolt you just had. it seems too much of a coincidence IMO. </div></div>

I thought about that. But I was having no issues with it until about I'd say 15 min or so of dry firing at which time I flushed it out with some lighter fluid. I noticed it got progressively worse and worse and the trigger started feeling "different". Then I said fuggit, took it out and put it in the bag to return.

I am going to give both Remington and Jewell a call on Monday and get both parts replaced hopefully.

Strange thing is, when it was delivered by USPS the box was badly crushed. Which may have had to do something with the bolt release baving been bent incorrectly to begin with.

I bet you anything this thing got compressed somehow even before I got it cause I had to get Jewell on the phone when I went to adjust the bolt release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck w/ Remington!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Don't get me started, haha.

I'll see if they will replace it, it should not have chipped like that, dry firing it. I'd buy the Callahan part and just be done with it, but I'd rather just throw a factory remington part back in. We will seeif they will replace it and if not, how much they want for it. I looked on brownells and they dont carry the factory part either.

You want that part replaced from Remington be prepared to send the entire rifle to them at your expense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want that part replaced from Remington be prepared to send the entire rifle to them at your expense. </div></div>

Know a place that sells the oem part? Or do you think that something that minor is no big deal?

TA this problem could be coming from the left side of the slot that your cocking piece runs in. I would bet if you remove some material on the left side of that slot it would work great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TA this problem could be coming from the left side of the slot that your cocking piece runs in. I would bet if you remove some material on the left side of that slot it would work great. </div></div>

Good point..

I am going to try and find the box it came in to take a picture of the damage. Trash came yesterday so I think it is gone. The bolt release was mis-bent so I don't know what to think. Maybe Jewell will swap me out if I send them this one. We shall see Monday. I don't want to start taking out any material until I talk to them.

On the bolt cocking piece. I just took a polish wheel with some flitz and took out about 85% of that burr on the right side. I don't think that part even comes in contact with the trigger neways. Nice and mirror shine on it now though, haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seek professional assistance </div></div>

WILCO

Going to give both Remington and Jewell a call tomorrow. I could not find the box it came in, garbage came and I had thrown it away already. Hopefully I can send it to them for a replacement, will report back tomorrow.

Also looks like Remington does not list the cocking piece only, I will likely have to buy the entire firing pin assembly. No big deal, nice to have a spare firing pin around anyways.

Thanks everyone for the help, hope everyone had a great weekend.

Tex I noticed that you said that it was a brand new rifle and had not been fired. I think you may have your order of failure backwards. From what you described and what I see I think that the piece may have chipped off of the cocking piece first and went into the trigger and caused the misfiring. Jewel triggers cannot stand any trash in them. I believe that the broken off piece was caught between the cocking piece and trigger side plate and that is what caused the gouges in the side plate with the repeated dry firing. It was probably a bad casting of the cocking piece and would have probably chipped after dry firing with either trigger.

Second: DO NOT tell Remington that you installed a different trigger in your rifle, they will more than likely not warranty it. But like Rinjdael I don't think I would worry about the chip.
Let us know what you find out.

David

David, that did cross my mind. Which is why I really want to just get a replacement cocking piece just to be 100% sure it is ok.

Thing that gets me with the Jewell is the priority package it was send in was sandwiched, to the point that the Bolt Release had poked through the plastic package that the trigger was in. I had to bend the safety back slightly and also call Jewell to see why my bolt stop was hanging up. I ended up having to take pliers to the bolt release to get it back to where it belonged.

Just don't know what to think, hopefully Remington and Jewell will take care of it tomorrow.

Will report back.

Blend/chamfer the striker edges & press on-the striker is thru hardened.
Strikers are available from PT&G if blending isn't an option.
Polish the inside surfaces of the Jewell housing to remove the galling from the striker piece.

Grease the bolt lugs/cocking cam & extraction cam of the bolt handle or you will have more WOE's to deal with.

Dan-

Not sure if this is a good blend job, but I did polish most of it out. The right side is a bit more rounded and non squared but I am not even sure if that contacts the trigger shoe anyways.

Tell me what you think.

On the Jewell, they are only a few hours away. Figure I can snail mail it to them to sort it out.

Let me know if you think the cocking piece needs replacing afterall.

3416245499_9000348271_b.jpg

hi-res http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/3416245499_9000348271_b.jpg

3417054204_89faed6b8e_b.jpg

hi-res http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3655/3417054204_89faed6b8e_b.jpg

The striker surface is radiused to reduce friction.

Once you install a trigger group,cycle the bolt several times to confirm striker/sear contact is centered on each part.

Looks good!!

Jewell won't warranty the trigger,so disassemble & polish the housing side plates yourself.

Man that looks like a lot of hassle. I hate to even mention it but my jewell dropped right in...the pull was perfect out of the gate so I've never had to adjust it.

My guess is HateCA is correct, remington will want you to send the entire rifle to them. Now that you mucked with it they will probably replace every part you touched and tell you that you voided the warranty. They will get it to work with an x-mark pro, charge you an arm and a leg, and send it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The striker surface is radiused to reduce friction.

Once you install a trigger group,cycle the bolt several times to confirm striker/sear contact is centered on each part.

Looks good!!

Jewell won't warranty the trigger,so disassemble & polish the housing side plates yourself. </div></div>

Thanks for the confirmation on the striker surface that I polished. I noticed the only part contacting was the center, nowhere near the edge. I was getting to be REAL worried that I would have to replace it, but looking at my photos, like you said, the only contact is there in the center of the striker/sear.

As far as Jewell not warrantying this, I hope they do something about it. I was on the phone with them no less than 15 minute after I got it already having an issue with it.

I'll try them tomorrow neways. I am not one to pay $200.00 for a trigger with no warranty support and not being 100% right out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jewell won't warranty the trigger,so disassemble & polish the housing side plates yourself. </div></div>

And why is that? $200+ for a trigger that Jewell is not going to stand behind?

Man! my 2 Timneys are lookin sweeter day after day! (almost half the price, lifetime warranty and all)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And why is that? $200+ for a trigger that Jewell is not going to stand behind?

Man! my 2 Timneys are lookin sweeter day after day! (almost half the price, lifetime warranty and all) </div></div>

They were pretty nice on the phone last week when I talked to them. We will see what they say about it tomorrow, I seriously doubt a company putting out the quality they do will not stand behind something like this cause I am not about to start gunsmithing triggers on a $200 investment, haha.

Update, spoke with Jewell this morning.

They were more than happy to take care of my issue. On its way to them now. Tommy there was very nice and remembered speaking to me about my bent safety and bolt release last week.

Good to hear, hope it all works out for you.

Might also be a good time to upgrade that firing pin assy with a Tubb speedlock assy, it will also improve your trigger pull because the cocking piece is precision ground unlike the stock rounded off edges on the factory piece.

here is a link
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...0PIN%20ASSEMBLY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to hear, hope it all works out for you.

Might also be a good time to upgrade that firing pin assy with a Tubb speedlock assy, it will also improve your trigger pull because the cocking piece is precision ground unlike the stock rounded off edges on the factory piece.

here is a link
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...0PIN%20ASSEMBLY </div></div>

Spoke with a remington rep this morning and they are sending me out a complete replacement under warranty.

Update:

Got my trigger back. Same one, not sure what they repaired since they did not include a letter (fucking hate that).

They did set it at 2.5lbs how I requested in my note though. Installed it and running pretty good in dry fire drills so far!

So all in all, pretty happy with their customer service and turn around time.