• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just a reminder about discussing technical data

I was given this at the expo

4438F7DE-3FE1-4F07-B98E-857924AB1E61.jpeg

A memory stick

I was given this at the expo

View attachment 8013173

A memory stick
Dropping USB drives near an ATM is a pretty old tactic. Given how small things have gotten here's a recent one using what is a tiny embedded computer that looks like a USB drive to the unwary:

Reactions: lash
Considering a quality USB key in 64gb is like $11 or so,

I'm not sure the draw of random USB keys.

All this equine feces about ITAR rules remind me of young man who got in trouble for talking.

Matt Hoover has the YouTube channel CRS Firearms. He and his family own and operate a resale shop and FFL called Coloma Resale in Coloma, Wisconsin. He talked about many things and showed a number of guns and firing tests in his video. All of which were fine and did not violate guidelines.

He became aware of a guy who had made a thing called an Auto Key Card. It is a piece of metal in the shape and size of a normal business card. It has a pattern etched in it. If you cut along that line or etching, you will have a piece of metal known as a lightning link that will fit in your AR-15 and allows firing more than one bullet with a single squeeze of the trigger. So, even though the guy was not selling a machine gun part, the ATF decided he was. Well, Matt never sold one unit, did not keep any in stock, received no benefits. He merely mentioned it and how you could buy one.

His wife was arrested by the ATF and he had to go to Florida to get her out and they dropped the charges. Then, they arrested him. For talking. Now, pending litigation, he cannot show guns on the channel, he cannot mention the case ongoing. All for talking. He did not tell anyone to buy one and do this.

I totally believe in the freedom of speech. Sometimes, it is handier to carefully pick and choose what you say. Whoever thought Kanye West was a white supremacist? Or is he doing that just for show? Talking has cost him so much.

Memory sticks are no joke. There is a reason ITAR certifications for data systems frown on them and accessibility via the net. If you remember the incident it was thought that stuxnet was placed into Iran via a memory stick. This risk also goes for plugging phones into secure PCs to charge them. A phone is just that, a memory stick and a huge conduit for unsecured apps to fuck everything up and steal the rest.

Reactions: FWoo45 and lash
Memory sticks are no joke. There is a reason ITAR certifications for data systems frown on them and accessibility via the net. If you remember the incident it was thought that stuxnet was placed into Iran via a memory stick. This also goes for plugging phones into secure PCs to charge them. A phone is just that, a memory stick and a huge conduit for unsecured apps to fuck everything up and steal the rest.
All this.

Though believe stuxnet was delivered via a printer.

Sirhr

Example of somebody trying to come up with something that def goes into ITAR type territory. Trying to precision land an egg on a mattress for the ultimate egg drop. They got directed to go a different path.

Reactions: BLEE
Lol, don’t worry your precious little head about that. Our wise overlords sell all of that shit off as soon as possible
Or just leave it lying around for someone like the Taliban to pick up

So do they just blanket mark everything scope related as itar? Or does any discussion on any optic violate it?

It feels like a law designed to make us criminals, rather than punish criminals.
ITAR rules are a complete nightmare, I swear they make them intensional vague and come with the risk of life in prison just to dissuade anyone from trying to export anything from the USA.

I can’t import a BlueForce gear sling as it is ITAR restricted, yet I can buy a roll of nylon webbing, plastic triglides, and QD sling mounts of Amazon.
The amount of scopes that are actually ITAR restricted is not that high but most businesses are to scared to bother messing with exports. I’ll email 10 businesses asking if they can export X scope, 9 will say no it’s restricted, # 10 will say no worries.

Prime example of ITAR stupidity:

Buy Chinese thermal or NV device overseas.

Bring back to Amerika.

Suddenly, and for no explicable reason, said device is now infected with ITAR coodies as soon as it crosses into US borders.

Leave US with foreign device.

Go to federal prison for ITAR violation.

True story.

Bring back to Amerika.

Suddenly, and for no explicable reason, said device is now infected with ITAR coodies as soon as it crosses into US borders.

True story.
1678465361013.png

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta and lash

Bring back to Amerika.

True story.
Meh...It's no different than when certain books that went into a SCIF, that they could never come back out (thank you Tom Clancy, for inflicting that ass pain on those of us in those fields).