• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got a nice 40x 22 Lr.. Magazine/ bottom metal

Re: Just got a nice 40x 22 Lr.. Magazine/ bottom metal

I'd love to have a 40X repeater. Don't know how expensive it would be to machine the reciever and make a mag latch/guide etc. Sure would be a winner if it could be done for a reasonable price with reliability and affordable readily available mags.

Edited to add that the 40-X sporter repeater used a proprietary mag. I have never seen one for sale nor actually seen one to see how/why it is different for that particular model!!!

I have two rimfire actions that I would love to convert to repeater.

Have seen many people talk about it, but I have never found anyone who actually DID it.

I would like to see the magazine/bottom metal based on a standard BDL inlet. That way you can use existing Rem 700 stocks from Manners, McMillan, etc.

Rob

PS - Its hard to find 10 round 52 magazines. It would be nice to base it on a magazine that can be bought in either 5 or 10 round configuration.

The magazines with the best reputation for reliability are the Sako Finnfire magazines. One would suspect that the Sako Quad magazine would work equally as well.

The Winchester Model 52 were good for the old, hit and miss on the new mags.

The Kimber mags seemed to work well.

The Ruger 10-22 mags work well but would be problematic getting it to fit a 40X.

Not sure on the Anschutz mags????

You mileage may vary.

Pat

I have 3 40x rifles that will be coming your way if you get it worked out.

I would buy one just to convert. That has been my biggest hangup w the 40x. CDi you get this worked out and i will be sending one your way

Get one that works well and I'm in for one and have two friends who would no doubt follow suit.

Kimber no longer makes a 22LR so their magazines may be hard to get in the future.

The Sako Finnfire mags may be hard to get.

The Sako Quad mags are hard to get but still made.

Winchester no longer makes the model 52 (I don't believe) so the mags may be hard to find.

If the Savage or Marlin mags are of good quality they seem to be plentiful for now.

Pat

Ok I may use the Savage Mags as I have one and it looks good.

Do you guys want high end bottom metal, or an adapter block and use the existing bottom metal with a hole cut in it?

any input is good.

An adapter system that would fit the AICS as well as other stocks fitted with Badger bottom metal should be a hit as I have seen several 40Xs in AICS and it is easy enough to fit Badger bottoms to many of the stocks a 40X will sit in.

Ok I think Im going to make an AICS Mag adapter. It will be shaped similar to the top of an AICS mag, and will hold a Savage mag. It would work in any setup that uses AICS mags(Mine, Badger, AICS chassis Stocks, etc)..

DROOLING while typing this. please dont tease us. I'm for at least one. You may want to talk to jerry stiller since he is considering offering a repeater 22 lr action similar to the 40x, to see what mag he is considering using. Savage mags are plentiful and cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........................

Edited to add that the 40-X sporter repeater used a proprietary mag. I have never seen one for sale nor actually seen one to see how/why it is different for that particular model!!! </div></div>

Could it possibly be anything like the model 37 magazine? I've never seen anything like them. Heavy duty for a fact. I can post a pic if you want. </div></div>

Mike, I don't think it is quite like the 37, surely I am guessing not as heavy duty. I have only ever handled one that a gunshop whom I used to do alot of business with took on a trade in mid ninties. However, I never removed the mag to look at it nor have seen a pic of a sporter/repeater mag. IIRC they fit flush kinda like the 37 and perhaps some of the proprietary part could be the latch/retaining part????? All I know is that being a 700 whore that rifle sure felt sweeeettttttt!!!! I tried to buy it but he claimed at that time he had about $700 into it and thought he would "put it in the safe" for awhile. Asked him 3+ yrs ago and he still owns it but had never shot it.

wild bill, have you seen the prices on the cz mags? 5 rds are over $30 and 10 rds over $40 each. I just finished putting together CZ Scout youth nodel for my niece,

Those are great rifles and usualy great shooters. A mag feed version would be even better.

Love to see this happen. Only thing better than a 40x is a 40x repeater!

i would be in for one......

I am only a humble school teacher so money is always tight.....but. I would like to see as solid a set up as possible. I would rather pay more up front and be happy than end up with something that needed tweaking....

given the expense of these rifles and that such a mod would be a permenant one, I would like to see a set up that would be worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS - Its hard to find 10 round 52 magazines. It would be nice to base it on a magazine that can be bought in either 5 or 10 round configuration.</div></div>

I have one laying around. I sold my 52 a few years ago (like an idiot). PM me if you're interested.

the savage is a good mag,anschutz did use them ,dont know if
they still do,back in the day savage was importer of annie.
just a thought

FWIW Winchester did not make 10 round magazines for the Model 52. They did make 10 round magazines for the Model 64 (I believe that was the one) that happen to fit the Model 52. I was corrected rather rudely by a Winchester collector....still have a couple of the 5 and 10 round original Winchester mags
smile.gif

Pat

I have Inletted the stock and have my bottom metal installed on it. Looks kickass. Now I have to make an adaptor block to hold the 22 mags in the right spot. Ill have it shortly.

WOW!!! Didn't know they were that high!! Sucks.... I need a few of them!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xxjbj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wild bill, have you seen the prices on the cz mags? 5 rds are over $30 and 10 rds over $40 each. I just finished putting together CZ Scout youth nodel for my niece, </div></div>

Wait, why would anyone want to inlet and install one of your AICS compatible bottom metals only to put in a AICS to .22lr adapter? Why not just make a bottom metal to fit the BDL inlet that most of the available stocks will already be inlet for? I have one of your AICS compatible bottom metals, and I like it, but I see no need to use it as a basis for the repeater conversion. Seems like overkill to me. 'Course, it could help you sell more of your AICS bottom metals.

I think the idea of using the AICS magazine is so people using AICS chassis could also convert to repeaters. A single magazine and receiver modification could be used no matter what stock you wanted to use - AI, McMillan, Factory, etc.

I like the flexibility.

Wild Bill, what' worse is that the ten rounders are plastic to boot. I fugured that out last night when opening the package on the ten round.

This is a good question. the short answer is I have the metal already made and I can just make an adapter to take the 22 mag. This adapter will fit inside any AICS equipped rifle(AICS Stocks or Badger too). Its just easy. I would have to make bottom metal thats all the same anyhow except for the magwell, so might as well make it so the adapter fits other rifle/stock combos as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtn_cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait, why would anyone want to inlet and install one of your AICS compatible bottom metals only to put in a AICS to .22lr adapter? Why not just make a bottom metal to fit the BDL inlet that most of the available stocks will already be inlet for? I have one of your AICS compatible bottom metals, and I like it, but I see no need to use it as a basis for the repeater conversion. Seems like overkill to me. 'Course, it could help you sell more of your AICS bottom metals. </div></div>

I think your idea for using AICS magazines modified to accept a commonly available 22 lr. magazine is by far the best solution.

Actually Im going to make an alum dummy block that's shaped like an AICS magazine, and that will be designed to hold the 22 magazine.

I have the action slotted out and am playing with it. heres a few things that need to be done:

1: Slot action and inlet stock(assuming a stock thats not setup for Badger or AICS stock)

2) Modify bolt face slightly and modify the extractors.

3) Assemble and have fun(working on that part now,lol)

Cool....can we see a pic of the bottom with a mag in it?

ps...I don't like your image hosting service
smile.gif
Try tinypic.com sometime.

pps.....okay, it's not to bad, I only had to suffer through one ad popup.

I don't think he wants anybody to see that part yet.

Patience...
wink.gif

Any update as to which magazine you will use for the project. the one in the photo looks like a savage.

The magazines for Sako 22's are plastic both for the Finnfire and the Quad. Has not made a difference in the Finnfire magazines as they have a reputation for reliability. The Quad magazines do not currently carry the same reputation (mainly the 9/10 rounders)

Pat

I'm finishing up M40A3 rails so I haven't worked on it. Stay tuned. Ill work on it this week. I have to adjust the extractor claws some and then make the conversion block.;)

CDi,
I know your working on the 40x's but the 541's Remington made use about the worst mags available. If somehow this progressed I would jump on a different mag system.
dgwelsh

tag

I'd be in for one system for a 40X in an AICS..

RJ