• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

KAC M5 alternatives?

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    For my old school Jarheads;

Recently came into a 20” Colt and I’m wanting to change out the stock handguard to the KAC M5 RAS like I was first issued and trained on. (Clone M16A4 build).

Is KAC still making that rail system? My google-fu shows P&S used to make them as well, but I can’t find that company’s web page or anything.

They ae on the market . You just have to look around. Brownells sold the P&S made one at one time. I paid $99 new with rail covers 2 years ago.. They have gone up since then . Good luck

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Instead of the M5, which adds a fair amount of weight without adding any accuracy benefits, consider using the free-floated KAC RAS . . .

KAC_RAS_20_inch_Colt_DMR_001b-2132592.jpg

Last edited:
    Anything Knights or LMT right now is going to be a wait. Most rifle manufacturers are behind production schedule on rifles, and all efforts go to rifle builds. KAC has not discontinued the M5 RAS, but just hard to find. We have a few that are built as complete M16A4 uppers, if interested, but no rails available. We had some last month. What we find is that manufacturers will change tooling and make a run of 100s of rails, and then move to the next item.

Right now, M4 and M5 RAS are not available wholesale, but they were 3 months ago. Right now MRE is available, but was not available for over a year, so the dealers have to be the shock absorber and buy and hold inventory, but some brands have a waitlist, and you may never see "in stock," as the guys on the waiting list get the email invitations to buy first.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Instead of the M5, which adds a fair amount of weight without adding any accuracy benefits, consider using the free-floated KAC RAS . . .

KAC_RAS_20_inch_Colt_DMR_001b-2132592.jpg

Thanks for showing that to me. It seems like an option, but it doesn’t have that svelte look/feel as the M5 that was on the rifles I qual’d and carried.

Anything Knights or LMT right now is going to be a wait. Most rifle manufacturers are behind production schedule on rifles, and all efforts go to rifle builds. KAC has not discontinued the M5 RAS, but just hard to find. We have a few that are built as complete M16A4 uppers, if interested, but no rails available. We had some last month. What we find is that manufacturers will change tooling and make a run of 100s of rails, and then move to the next item.

Right now, M4 and M5 RAS are not available wholesale, but they were 3 months ago. Right now MRE is available, but was not available for over a year, so the dealers have to be the shock absorber and buy and hold inventory, but some brands have a waitlist, and you may never see "in stock," as the guys on the waiting list get the email invitations to buy first.
    Thank you for the info. I’ll keep on eye on your site in case one pops up/you get any in. Im in no rush.

For my old school Jarheads;

Recently came into a 20” Colt and I’m wanting to change out the stock handguard to the KAC M5 RAS like I was first issued and trained on. (Clone M16A4 build).

Is KAC still making that rail system? My google-fu shows P&S used to make them as well, but I can’t find that company’s web page or anything.

TBA has used ones in stock

I’m not sure that any quad rail can really be called “svelt…”
    Man, after you’ve slept with your m16 enough times, sometimes tied to your leg so no fuckfuck games ensue, you grow pretty accustomed to the feel of it

Bah, now I am on the hunt for a KAC or P&S rail for my M16a4 clone build and they are OOS everywhere I have checked. google fu skills have failed me. Does anyone know of a reputable company that has them in stock? TBA sold out of their used ones.

very hard to find and you will pay for it. I think the other site, not named arfcom, has a set or 2 in the EE

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
    Midwest Industries
    1 Piece

2 Piece

Midwest Industries
    1 Piece

2 Piece
    yeah, I really eyeballed the Midwest hard and it may end up being the route I have to go, but I had my heart set on building a nice clone just for nostalgia sake. I have all the other bits and pieces I need to remake one like I carried (except the giggle switch of course). Hell, still have my sling and other bullshit from deployment sitting in a footlocker in the garage.

yeah, I really eyeballed the Midwest hard and it may end up being the route I have to go, but I had my heart set on building a nice clone just for nostalgia sake. I have all the other bits and pieces I need to remake one like I carried (except the giggle switch of course). Hell, still have my sling and other bullshit from deployment sitting in a footlocker in the garage.
    I have a guy local to me that is selling a surefire drop in rail. He is asking 120.