• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kelbly's Black Bear Tactical

That's alot of sexy right there!

@RobertB Appreciate it buddy! Now if only SOMEBODY could build a Manners Compact in LONG ACTION so my Atlas Tactical LA could fit.... *Cough* *Cough*... I wouldn't have to be shopping around for a lightweight stock on my new sheep rig build..... ? ??

Last edited:
My 14yr old boy got it done all by himself this year while I was gone. He went out on his own, gutted, skinned, quarter and deboned by himself. And if you look close, yep that’s a Black Bear Tactical. @tmanners compact stock in Arctic camo, @Ian A. Kelbly Black Bear Tactical action. Kelbly’s and Manners are both excellent people to work with. If this was last stock and action I ever had, that would be fine with me.
View attachment 7202704

Congratulations! That is so cool to see the next generation getting it done! Thank you for choosing Kelbly's! We love seeing our products in use!

For you guys with Manners stocks, what barrel lengths and contours are you using and how is the balance?

I would like to avoid an overly nose heavy gun but don't want to compromise rigidity with a lighter contour to do so.

I was thinking a heavy Palma around 26" for myself. 6.5mm for caliber.

Oh yeah, and at long last, I will be picking up the phone to call Kelblys at the end of the month!

For you guys with Manners stocks, what barrel lengths and contours are you using and how is the balance?

I would like to avoid an overly nose heavy gun but don't want to compromise rigidity with a lighter contour to do so.

I was thinking a heavy Palma around 26" for myself. 6.5mm for caliber.

Oh yeah, and at long last, I will be picking up the phone to call Kelblys at the end of the month!
I have a 27" Marksman with a Hellfire Brake on my Manners PRS. It is balanced pretty well. A Heavy Palma should be just fine also. I do run an ATACR so I have that little extra weight in the middle.

Reactions: Fishbaum
@Fishbaum The original rifle build I did to start this thread was an M24 contour. For a 308, it was a really nice balance. I spun another barrel in 6.5x47 with a marksman contour which was also really really nice for controllability.

My most recent barrel is heavy palma, which is pretty much my favorite marriage of both the marksman and M24.

In my opinion, as long as you stick with something Rem Varm contour or slightly larger, the balance will be really close to at, or just before the recoil lug.

After testing balance points a couple years ago, I found that most of my comp guns really shine with the pivot point being in that general area, and manuvering seemed to be easier from position to position.

For hunting guns, I try to stick the weight further back towards the buttstock. This is so when the rifle comes up to the shoulder for standing shots, the muzzle can be pointed quickly and track an animal. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference balance point of a rifle makes.

Just my opinion, but it's worked for me for quite a while.

Congrats on making the decision to grab a Black Bear ?! Just be ready to start culling those other rifles in the safe to make room for more Kelbly's!! ? ?

Last edited:
Recently put this together. Bartlien barrel chambered in 6BRA by Jonathon Elrod. Action is butter smooth, XLR chassis fits perfect.
Black Bear 6BRA.JPG

Been messing around with this LR stuff for several years. Dealt with many manufacturers. Kelbly's customer is service is at the top of the list!

Great match this weekend. Was lucky to pull off a 2nd place. Was first rolling into the last stage up by 2 shots over dude that won. Went up and missed first 3 shots on a skylined targets. Darn it darn it lol. He cleaned the stage. Still happy. Elevation was flat right on and during sight in I thought I missed the target a couple times as my shot went inside my previous shot. This bad boy is flat shooting.

MAN this action is crazy smooth. Literally had to check a couple times to make sure a round fed into chamber. I have or have owned all actions except for an Impact, and this guy is noticeably by far the smoothest Ive ran.

The only down side is the flat base of the action I cant swap into other stocks BUT XLR makes a chassi that is inletted for it. I hope other companies start to do the same. Will be a big selling pt but I guess I cant complain my Kelblys bedded KTS stock had no problems with accuracy dept.

SPECS
- Blackbear Action
- Krieger barrel 26"
- VV N140 30.0 grains
- 105 bergers going 2800
- Kelbly KTS stock
- Burris XTR3 with race dial (very very useful)
- SCR2 retc

CAMEO 2019 3.jpg

GL
DT

Attachments

• CAMEO 2019 2.jpg
    CAMEO 2019 2.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 105
It's done. It's finally done. 2 years in the making.

Manners PRS2 Elite Black & Blue
Bartlein 26" Marksman Contour
6.5x47
Hawkins bottom metal
Lil bastard gen 2 brake
Huber trigger
Razor gen 2 scope
Vortex precision rings
Harris bipod

Can't wait to get to the range!

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_205554.jpg
    IMG_20200427_205554.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 165

6.5x47
Hawkins bottom metal
Lil bastard gen 2 brake
Huber trigger
Razor gen 2 scope
Vortex precision rings
Harris bipod

Congratulations, look great! Let us know how it shoots.

6.5x47
Hawkins bottom metal
Lil bastard gen 2 brake
Huber trigger
Razor gen 2 scope
Vortex precision rings
Harris bipod

Sick build man, best of luck with it. How do you like that Marksman contour and balance with that setup? About to order one myself for a 223.

Sick build man, best of luck with it. How do you like that Marksman contour and balance with that setup? About to order one myself for a 223.
Thank you! As it sits in the picture, it balances about 1" in front of the recoil lug. It feels really good. I think that will work favorably for stabilizing while shooting off barricades while also not being uncomfortable while shooting off hand.

Reactions: Brazo
First range outing was yesterday and I am impressed. The pic attached shows rounds 3 - 20 out of the rifle. Top left group is the first 3 after adjusting the scope to be on paper. Keep in mind, the top groups had a freshly cleaned bore before starting. Also, was dealing with a 10mph headwind that was blowing the target around because the target was attached to netting. I moved the target to an area closer to the frame after the top left group was fired to prevent as much movement.

You can see a trend where the first shot after cleaning was separate from a much tighter cluster after. After the top 2 groups, I decided to stop cleaning as I did not see any excess copper or anything alarming on my cleaning patches. The bottom groups are what happened after I decided to stop cleaning. You can see how the groups really began to settle in. The bottom right group is among the best groups I have ever shot coming in at right around .3''. Had I not been so giddy watching this group happen in my scope, it probably would have been tighter. I consider this barrel broken in.

After this, I stopped shooting groups at 100 and started shooting steel at 568 yards repeatedly nailing a 3'' target. Had a blast. All shooting was done with Lapua factory 123gr 6.5x47 ammo which was superb and it should be for being $3 a round shipped.

Overall, I am in love and the build was definitely worth the wait. Thank you everyone at Kelbly's for delivering an amazing build.

IMG_20200517_132712.jpg
MVIMG_20200516_092044.jpg

I have been enjoying shooting with my black bear tactical.

is the black bear 100% cock on open?

For my 2 Black Bears.........With TT Diamonds they have a slight cock on close. You can time the Bix and Andys a little better but mine still had some cock on close. With zero cock on close mine do not have enough pin fall. Ill take cock on close over inconsistent ignition.

Bodhisafa, glad to hear the black bear has been treating you well. As 3par has meantioned, the Black Bear and Atlas are both partial cock on close. The Bix's are 100% the best option if you want correct ignition timing, cocking pressure, and ease of manipulation.

Not saying that other trigger companies won't work in the BB or Atlas, but the Bix's are a class above the others in our actions.

Glad y'all are still enjoying your BB's, I'll be posting more in here shortly. Match season has been hectic this year. 🤙

Reactions: alcap and Hussell
What other actions on the market have the same “feel” as a black bear regarding the cock on open? I like how I can smoothly close the bolt with no effort

Bodhisafa, glad to hear the black bear has been treating you well. As 3par has meantioned, the Black Bear and Atlas are both partial cock on close. The Bix's are 100% the best option if you want correct ignition timing, cocking pressure, and ease of manipulation.

Not saying that other trigger companies won't work in the BB or Atlas, but the Bix's are a class above the others in our actions.

Glad y'all are still enjoying your BB's, I'll be posting more in here shortly. Match season has been hectic this year. 🤙

I just got an Atlas but was wondering which Bix you were referring to. They have a budget option now - the Bix and Andy Dakota. Would that be the one you're referring to?

Or is it the Tac Sport? Two stage? One stage? And what sear?

Thank you!

I just got an Atlas but was wondering which Bix you were referring to. They have a budget option now - the Bix and Andy Dakota. Would that be the one you're referring to?

Or is it the Tac Sport? Two stage? One stage? And what sear?

Thank you!

BeAccurate,

I've got just about all of the Bix's to include the Dakota in an Atlas as well, standard sear, with the stock trigger hanger that came in the Atlas. Mine runs extremely smooth without messing with it.

In my Black Bear, I run the Tac Sport Pro 2 stage. Easily my favorite trigger of all time. It has been adjusted to suit me, and it's literal butter... To the point one of the editors from Recoil magazine told me I ruined all of his rifles with how smooth the combination was.

Plain and simple... ANY Kelblys plus ANY Bix is a winning combo. Only adjustments needed is to suit the shooter.

Hope this answered your question kinda, please feel free to reach out to me, or call Ian or Ryan up at the shop. We're more than happy to help in any way!

Garrison

Reactions: D_TROS
Finally got this thing built and even longer to get it broken in.

Did a 6 day, PR1 & PR2 class, at Blue steel Ranch. I have never gotten so confident so quickly with a weapon system before and it has reawakened my drive to have fun train hard and shoot shit!!!

Kelbly Black Bear
Kelbly “The Klaw” muzzle break
Kreiger 24” 1-10twt, .308, Heavy Palma
Manners T4
Steiner T5xi w/ SCR in Suphr 4601 mount
TBAC Bipod
MDT mags
Federal Premium Gold Medal 175 smk
Pushing 2670fps

Gotta say I’m super happy I went with a custom build and super proud I made a good choice with going the Black Bear route.
mall work was done at Kelbly’s and would not hesitate to have them spin something up again for me.
Watch out comp matches, this beast is hungry!!

Attachments

• CDE69E55-E405-4184-82ED-66F63725620C.jpeg
    CDE69E55-E405-4184-82ED-66F63725620C.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 98
Ive got an XLR on order with the Black Bear Cut out. Excited to see how it shoots.

Anyone else use the XLR yet?

Regards
DT
I was working on redoing the inletting on a grayboe for a while. Broke down and got the XLR. Haven't used it a whole lot but happy with it so far. Getting it while it was one sale helped with giving up on the project I had started.

Have a pseudo trainer off a rim-x in the same setup and have spent more time behind it, as well as my son, and actually got the wife to shoot it. No complaints at all on it. Expected as I get more time behind the black bear in the xlr it will be the same.

Reactions: XLR Industries
Still waiting for an invite out to the spot.
I'd run my Black Bear.

HA! no joke. I will be doing a Border Wars last weekend of August. I hope you make that. My house got flooded couple times and after finishing the floors and bathrooms we moved back in a week ago. I was hoping to have monthly matches by now. always something.

Reagrds
DT

The black bear saw 3 matches so far this year. It’s been doing great! I shit the bed at the Vortex Rampage though. It’s so weird having a nice full custom rifle, it was as if I lost my fundamentals and was doing things like slapping the trigger, not loading the bipod. I couldn’t hit big easy targets because I think I had the mindset that the targets were impossible to miss and I just wasn’t focused. I learned that I have to focus on every target as if it was tiny and I did much better. Over the weekend, I shot a local Wisconsin match and finished in the top third which was a major improvement over VR where I was towards the bottom. Aim small miss small.

This really is a great action that needs to be spoken about more often. My gunsmith could not stop gushing over the quality and he handles the top tier manufacturers.

This really is a great action that needs to be spoken about more often. My gunsmith could not stop gushing over the quality and he handles the top tier manufacturers.
I couldn't ask for better. I'm so happy with mine.

Couldn't agree more, this is my favorite action and I've tried just about all of them. In fact I've been wanting to get a 2nd one and after I recently got a 40% xlr envy chassis, I think its time to go ahead and get another black bear.

Gents... It's been a damn minute lol.

Apologize about not being more active on the thread, between my old job, and starting anew business, it's been hectic to say the least.

Glad to see all the Black Beard out there doing work. I've probably spun atleast 9 barrels for mine in the time I've had it, just because I enjoy shooting the damn thing so much.

Id say mine has roughly 5-6000 rounds through it, and more like 10-15k dry fire cycles on it. I honestly still can believe how good this damn thing is. I'm hoping all of you converters are still enjoying y'all's as much as I am.

On another note, I've decided to change stocks again and have a couple for sale of anyone's interested.

Manners PRS2 Elite (Badlands Camo)
BB S/A Footprint (Right handed)
M5 DBM
Will accept up to a 1.25 straight taper

Manners T4A Elite (Badlands Camo)
BB S/A Footprint (Right handed)
M5 DBM
Inletted for up to M24/AMU Contour

If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM and I'll send you some pics and make you screaming deal on either.

Really appreciate y'all's support, and hope y'all keep track of the new products/actions coming from Kelblys!!

Garrison 🤙🏼

Whats going on?!?!?!

Hitting this thread back to life with good news for my BB. Even though I just got things situated in April I decided to upgrade and be more aggressive in making my local PRS series matches. Going to stick with my Tac Class (.308) and get more confiedent and comfortable with matches. Who knows I may even hit up a major match or two as well...
Thanks to @Ian A. Kelbly for hooking me up with a un-allocated XLR chassis package.
And kudos to the BUY-SELL Thread for helping me gather the other ingredients for my build.
It may be a a Frankenstein semi-custom build but I'm already enjoying it.

Whats going on?!?!?!
so update on the beauty, I went back and forth about doing a video for the build, but I didn’t feel I had an adequate area to film, this was my first disassemble of a rifle and got stuck between nervous and excited, and finally too F’N giddy when everything showed up at the same time and before a club intro train up day.
Never the less here’s a pic I could resist sharing. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge in this thread!!

Attachments

• 66020CD9-3E83-4401-A280-45207B95C531.jpeg
    66020CD9-3E83-4401-A280-45207B95C531.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 68
  • AC5D79F5-EA9D-499A-8ED5-E19056B8C6AC.jpeg
    AC5D79F5-EA9D-499A-8ED5-E19056B8C6AC.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 71
Beautiful rig! More pics, and let us know how she shoots.