• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keltec KSG Bullpup Pump Shotgun

chainring

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
TEXAS
Not holding my breath on availability anytime soon, but it sure looks fun.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1294032677/0

KSG.jpg

KSG_3344web.jpg

KSG_3357web.jpg

KSG_C5L_4408web.jpg

KSG_4459web.jpg

Re: Keltec KSG Bullpup Pump Shotgun

I want one of those, go good with my collection of pocket pistols and my SU-16B Sub2000 and RFB rifles.

I wonder how this will hold up ? Keltec isn't known for reliability in my neck of the woods...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how this will hold up ? Keltec isn't known for reliability in my neck of the woods...</div></div>

I think it's more for underwear wearing door kicking armchair commandos, rather than 200 round/day trapshooters =]

looks a lot like a shotgun that truvelo developed about 10 years ago. if it's anything like that, i'm buying one.

it looks like a pump action bullpup with 2 mag tubes (but with the magazine tubes underneath the barrel).

it will be interesting to see if it has a forward-back pump action (the reverse of how you'd typically operate a pump action shotgun) like the truvelo NS2000.

the best feature of the NS2000 was the magazine selector. you could choose from left, right, or alternating. the alternating feature has little appeal to me, but the left and right option is very appealing.

you could have one tube loaded with slugs and the other loaded with buckshot or one tube loaded with lethal and the other with LTL muntions (although i believe that LTL should only be fired from a dedicated platform that's painted orange to eliminate liability caused by operator confussion).

i've wanted an NS2000 since they started selling them in 03, but unfortunately, none of them have been imported into the US.

it'll be interesting to see how many features from the NS2000 made it into the KelTec KSG.

i like the picatinny rail a lot more than the NS2000's awkward tube sight (i've never fired one, but it looks awkward). the ability to use AR flip up sights will give the user a familiar sight picture (atleast it will for me).

Reminds me alot of the NS2000, which was at least a good proof-of-concept shotgun. One thing thats always striked me about shotguns is the magazine, 5-6 rounds seems a bit restrictive in a combat situation. (and i dont speak from personal experience here, pump and semi shotguns are banned here in oz so i've never fired one)

Looks most likely to use the standard back-forward shotgun action but dont quote me. There looks like a cut underneath the handguard for it to go backwards without hitting the trigger guard.

It's a standard pump format, and the selector allows you to manually select which mag-tube from which it feeds - in addition to a middle setting that allows you to clear the chamber without feeding another round. My only exposure to Keltec has been their .223 "pistol" which had a surprisingly good trigger and was boringly reliable. Relatively accurate at 50 yards with an Aimpoint and bipod rest, and a fun little shooter.

Does anyone have an idea as to WHEN these will be shipping??

Matt.

this is the coolest looking firearm kel tec has made. plus they aren't notoriously accurate so why not make a shotgun where accuracy isn't an issue. if the price is right i will be getting one of these for sure.

kudos for the innovation

Kel-Tec would be a fun company to work for those guys come up with some neat ideas but they have issues when it comes to actually production functionality, although I have heard good things about the newish RFB. I like companies that think outside the box.

I would put two +3 tube extenders on mine.

This definitely looks like fun. Wish they had a video up showing how it handles itself on the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know nothing about it other than I need one.

</div></div>

Ditto!

it would be fun at the range.

As for 3-gun, why not be the first one to try?

From KEL TEC
http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg
PREVIEW: Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG)
01-04-2011
The time for secrecy is nearing its end. This SHOT Show, Kel-Tec will be revealing its next ground-breaking product: the KSG (Kel-Tec Shotgun).

The KSG is our first entry into the shotgun market. The size, shape and design are similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 14 rounds of 12 gage 2-3/4" rounds (7 per tube). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.

MSRP has not been officially been set, but we are looking at the $800.00 range.

Gotta get a pair of knickers and some tweeds and show up at a snooty Sporting Clays shoot with that thing!

I have shot more than one charity sporting clays event with my mossberg 590 and have drawn my share of angry glances at the stations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know nothing about it other than I need one.

</div></div>

Ditto!

it would be fun at the range.

As for 3-gun, why not be the first one to try?</div></div>

Oh, I have no doubt the KSG will be the next big thing for the shotgun component of 3-gun...just so long as the stage doesn't need more than 15 rounds. Probably about the same or cheaper than buying a Saiga and adding all of the whiz-bang gadgetry to it that everyone does these days.

This is the first thing Kel-Tecs put out that I'm actually interested in picking up, and for $800 they'll get a purchase for sure.

it would be 10x cooler if it was semi auto
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot more than one charity sporting clays event with my mossberg 590 and have drawn my share of angry glances at the stations. </div></div>

I'm right there with ya. I usually have a few folks talk to me about it afterwards because they want one for the house...

This Kel-Tec is my favorite SHOT show release thus far, but it looks like it already has some competition from Turkey;

phoca_thumb_l_9.jpg

UTAS UTS-15

UTS-specifications.jpg

UTS-15 looks a bit bulkier from top to bottom but the company certainly seems a lot more forthcoming about details, especially from the pictures they supply.

Got a feeling that there will be more distributors for the KSG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This Kel-Tec is my favorite SHOT show release thus far, but it looks like it already has some competition from Turkey;

phoca_thumb_l_9.jpg

UTAS UTS-15

UTS-specifications.jpg
</div></div>

Wow. That things looks ginormous. It may be all carbon fiber, but the overall size seems way out of proportion to the grip.

The big problem with it that I see is the fact that it's going to be completely impossible for lefties like me to use. It appears there's only one ejection port, directly to the right..and just below the shooter's jaw. No thanks. Although it's always neat to see someone building a completely new design, so I'll give them that much at least.

A buddy pointed out to me the other day that the action of this firearm is right next to your face... and it's firing a 12ga shell...and it is made by KelTEC...
It this was a Remington, Mossberg, or other reputable company, I'd be all over this thing, but having owned other KelTec firearms in the past - I don't think i'll be in line for this one. Don't get me wrong, the little .380 and even the SU16 I have are great little "limited use" firearms - but that much gunpowder going off millimeters away from my face in a KelTec...no thanks.

The concept is great, don't get me wrong. But the sight radius is a little short, the availability to change out barrels may be a concern.

Someones gonna shoot their finger off with those sling loops at the end of the barrel, or at least they'll destroy a few slings/attachments. I predict the loops will be changed to somewhere farther back and a handstop will be standard, maybe a lighted forend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popndrop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buddy pointed out to me the other day that the action of this firearm is right next to your face... and it's firing a 12ga shell...and it is made by KelTEC...
It this was a Remington, Mossberg, or other reputable company, I'd be all over this thing, but having owned other KelTec firearms in the past - I don't think i'll be in line for this one. Don't get me wrong, the little .380 and even the SU16 I have are great little "limited use" firearms - but that much gunpowder going off millimeters away from my face in a KelTec...no thanks. </div></div>

12 gauge is a pretty low-pressure cartridge, and they've already been successfully producing the RFB in .308 Win. I blew a primer out shooting steel-cased ammo in my RFB, and it worked exactly as Kel-Tec designed: the blast vented down through the magazine, blew off the floorplate, bulged the mag, and did absolutely nothing to the rifle itself or the cheekpiece area (incidentally, it kept firing for another 3-4 rounds <span style="font-weight: bold">after</span> the magazine blew apart; the mag spring maintained enough tension off of the bottom mag body lips to keep upward pressure on the stack - I didn't even know there was a problem until it finally stopped shooting ten or fifteen seconds later). If you look at the disassembled photos, they're using two separate layers of steel above the chamber as protection. Just like a polymer-framed pistol will vent gas down and through the pistol grip area, on the RFB the same least-resistance path is down through the magazine well. Kel-Tec HAS destructively tested these, and found them to be safe even in event of catastrophic user stupidity.

If it were semi auto I'd be interested.

I'll stick with my Saiga 12.

That magnum load moved it back smartly didn't it? Ouch.

I chatted with KELTEC... they stated that all is in order for the release in the 3rd quarter of this year.... sooo it looks like SUMMER TIME for the delivery.

Matt.

Its cool but still needs work if they ever think the Military or LE market would grab it.

Its more of a balster because reloading is not very user friendly as well.

That looks about as dangerous as possible.

I hope that bottom rail is not molded in polymer. Not the best way to raise your brand name from a mere few notches above airsoft quality.

Don't get me wrong, I love the design and if I had disposable income would actively seek out an RFB as well as this when its available. Props to Keltec for being the Hundai of the gun manufacturers in this new decade.

But, yeah... same safety to fun ratio as a motorcycle. Snub nose muzzle is asking for accidents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks about as dangerous as possible.

I hope that bottom rail is not molded in polymer. Not the best way to raise your brand name from a mere few notches above airsoft quality.

Don't get me wrong, I love the design and if I had disposable income would actively seek out an RFB as well as this when its available. Props to Keltec for being the Hundai of the gun manufacturers in this new decade.

But, yeah... same safety to fun ratio as a motorcycle. Snub nose muzzle is asking for accidents. </div></div>

We talked to them about this at shot and they mentioned that they would be adding a slip plate to the end of the pump to prevent slippage accidents.

Overall despite being a heavy pig it seemed like a solid relatively well designed monster of a shotgun. I'd happily replace my Mossberg with it
smile.gif
Shoulders pretty nicely.

Definately looks interesting. Might just have to get one myself.

I saw this a while back and was very impressed with the Company's courage to go out on a limb and put out a firearm so radically different than the others. The price tag is also a statement, they easily could have done like Bushmaster did with the ACR after taking it from Magpul and get greedy. $800 and change for a shotgun that obviously has a ton of development and pretty much all newly designed and manufactured parts is impressive. I have never thought much of Kel-Tec until seeing this shotgun, just giving credit where credit is due.

I did notice in the videos that the pump action sure seems to be "choppy" and not very fluent. Maybe it was because the operators were trying to fire as fast as humanly possible, but it seemed like they all struggled just a bit with it.

I imagine like any product that is first of it's kind and has so many new features, this will likely go through a few growing pains to get all the kinks worked out. How Kel-Tec handles this will be paramount in their success in the long run. I have made the mistake of being one of the first to own a few new firearms and learned my lesson, be patient and let the firearm mature a bit before jumping in. Let the other guys be the testers and let them have the title of "First to own"!

Interesting, I like if the quality is there, being kel-tec we'll have to see, but kudos to them for bringing something new to market.

A couple other videos firing it on youtube appear to have smoother pump action so it could just be the operator.

It's too bad they could not figure out a design that would alternate mag tubes optionally, so you could get all 14 rounds without messing with a switch half way through, or a way to automatically swap to the other tube when one is empty, which would probably be easier. It might be tough to do reliably though.

While I can see it's usefulness being able to load lethal/non-lethal ammo for LEO's quickly in the same platform, I think liability would be a huge issue. We already have departments painting non lethal loaded shotguns orange so officers don't grab the wrong one as the lawyers must feel they can't be trusted to load/unload to non-lethal/lethal ammo. Could you imagine the liability the first time an officer had the switch on the wrong magtube and killed a protester or drunk college kid.