• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

@Kestrel Ballistics
I have a kestrel sportsman upgraded to elite fw 1.42
I also have a leica 8*56 3200.com
distances ranged from the leica turn up perfectly on the kestrel
I was expecting ballistics result to be transmitted back to the leica binos. that doesn't happen
suggestions?

Today there was suddenly 2 firmware updates to the leica as well. Now it actually works (except for connection drop out issues).

Any hints on improving? did the 2 sec adjustment.

When setting up my Kestral Sportsman and calibrating the compass, should I leave the Var at 0.00E or adjust it to my magnetic variation yo my location?

Im not sure if this question is in the right place and I hope I am not not hijacking a forum here. If I am not in the correct place and am hijacking this forum, my apologies.
If I true my kestrel at longer ranges, say 1200 yards, it is not accurate inside maybe 1000 yards. If I true the kestrel at say 850 yards or is accurate all the way inside to 100 but looses accuracy outside of say 1000 yards. Does anyone have any input or an explanation as to why this happens?
28 nosler
180 grain Vld hunting
179.5 grains h1000
Cci 250 primer
Gunwerks brass.
3190 FPS
Shooting one ragged hole at 100 yards and holding very low moa at any range.

thank you very much for any input.

my kestrel and terrapin x keep losing connection when I turn one of them back on after one goes to sleep. even though the terrapin is locked to the kestrel and sometimes it doesn't even send the range to the kestrel even when both are connected together. is there gonna be an update soon?

Has anyone using an android phone had success upgrading to 1.42? My elite goes through the entire process only to show up as 1.41 again. I know there were many issues at first with this, but I can't seem to find anyone who has been having the same issue as I have.

For some the things that help are extending the screen time out on your phone to the maximum and ensuring the privacy PIN for Bluetooth is disabled on the Kestrel.

Has anyone noticed burning through their battery faster with the recent upgrade (ver. 1.43)? I made sure auto logging was turned off. Two matches and the battery is nearly gone. I don't recall this behavior until recently.

Hello! I have Kestrel 5700 Elite with AB. Why the ballistics and corrections don't match the corrections in the Applied Ballistic app on the phone?
All data is the same: enviromental, gun, bullet, MV, ВС G7, sight height, spin drift.
Difference at 1000m about 0.4 mil. I can't understand why

Reactions: waveslayer
Hello! I have Kestrel 5700 Elite with AB. Why the ballistics and corrections don't match the corrections in the Applied Ballistic app on the phone?
All data is the same: enviromental, gun, bullet, MV, ВС G7, sight height, spin drift.
Difference at 1000m about 0.4 mil. I can't understand why
Can you email me all your data to [email protected] and I can look at why there is a discrepancy as there shouldn't be.

Really I would need the profile on the Kestrel. You can send screenshots of your profile in the Kestrel LINK Ballistics app if that is easier. If you can also provide the environmentals you were using, that would be helpful as well.
Ok. I will send to you in few hours

Last edited:
Another question:
I have the latest FW 1.43 and Bluetooth connection seems buggy.

Here is a picture to tell the tale:
Screenshot_20210129-130230_Kestrel LiNK Ballistics.jpg

Even the connection is made, (green Bluetooth) it gives the error shown.

I also cannot Send profiles either.

Another question:
I have the latest FW 1.43 and Bluetooth connection seems buggy.

Here is a picture to tell the tale:
View attachment 7541017
Even the connection is made, (green Bluetooth) it gives the error shown.

I also cannot Send profiles either.
Please just try a soft reset on the Kestrel. Take out the battery. Hold down power button for 30 seconds. Put battery back in. You will not lose anything on the Kestrel except needing to calibrate compass again. After putting battery back in, try again.

Please just try a soft reset on the Kestrel. Take out the battery. Hold down power button for 30 seconds. Put battery back in. You will not lose anything on the Kestrel except needing to calibrate compass again. After putting battery back in, try again.
No luck with soft reset. I however have some more data:

-Yesterday I was using Single Target Engagement to create ballistic table and it was working. I think this whole thing might be a linked to that.

-When connecting to Ballistic app it shows the connecting screen for a long time, around 30-60s.

-Kestrel LINK app can fetch data from the device. So the unit seems to be OK.

If the Ballistic app needs to be reset, I'd like to backup all my profiles. Most important profiles are on the Kestrel, but I would like to get them all.
I did not find its folder under Android/Data, please help me?

No luck with soft reset. I however have some more data:

-Yesterday I was using Single Target Engagement to create ballistic table and it was working. I think this whole thing might be a linked to that.

-When connecting to Ballistic app it shows the connecting screen for a long time, around 30-60s.

-Kestrel LINK app can fetch data from the device. So the unit seems to be OK.

If the Ballistic app needs to be reset, I'd like to backup all my profiles. Most important profiles are on the Kestrel, but I would like to get them all.
I did not find its folder under Android/Data, please help me?
30 seconds isn't unusual to connect as there is some authorization / handshakes that happen.

So you can now Get profiles but you still can't Send?

There isn't a way to save off the profiles in the app (unless it is to the Kestrel) IF we need to redo the app, you would have to uninstall and reinstall it and you would lose your app profiles so we want to try and avoid that.

Is there any chance you have a different mobile device around you can load Kestrel LINK Ballistics on and transfer all the profiles to in the interim?

30 seconds isn't unusual to connect as there is some authorization / handshakes that happen.

So you can now Get profiles but you still can't Send?

There isn't a way to save off the profiles in the app (unless it is to the Kestrel) IF we need to redo the app, you would have to uninstall and reinstall it and you would lose your app profiles so we want to try and avoid that.

Is there any chance you have a different mobile device around you can load Kestrel LINK Ballistics on and transfer all the profiles to in the interim?
The Ballistic app cannot talk with Kestrel but the LINK/weather app is able to.

I am going to see what is not saved on Kestrel and just screenshot those profiles. Mostly temp tables are nice to keep saved, takes effort to recreate.

I tried removing cache but it had no effect. Removed app data too and same result.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same problem. So now the profiles are locked in the Kestrel.

Yeahh.. so next..? Screenshot kestrel and hard reset?

The Ballistic app cannot talk with Kestrel but the LINK/weather app is able to.

I am going to see what is not saved on Kestrel and just screenshot those profiles. Mostly temp tables are nice to keep saved, takes effort to recreate.

I tried removing cache but it had no effect. Removed app data too and same result.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same problem. So now the profiles are locked in the Kestrel.

Yeahh.. so next..? Screenshot kestrel and hard reset?

Given one app can connect and the other doesn't, check the actual permissions set for the Ballistic app. My guess would be Location or Local storage is denied for it.

Given one app can connect and the other doesn't, check the actual permissions set for the Ballistic app. My guess would be Location or Local storage is denied for it.
Yes!
For some reason the app did not have it checked. I have not tampered with the setting myself and it has worked at least a good year.

Upon reinstalling it the app asked for location info, and I thought that was all of it.

After I turned the storage permission on it connected to Kestrel automatically within 5 seconds and showed me this:
Screenshot_20210130-183651_Kestrel LiNK Ballistics.jpg

I had wondered why I had not gotten library updates for a while, I think it was solved now too.

But between the moment it worked and stopped working I did not do any changes/updates to my phone. Very strange.

Yes!
For some reason the app did not have it checked. I have not tampered with the setting myself and it has worked at least a good year.

Upon reinstalling it the app asked for location info, and I thought that was all of it.

After I turned the storage permission on it connected to Kestrel automatically within 5 seconds and showed me this:
View attachment 7542050
I had wondered why I had not gotten library updates for a while, I think it was solved now too.

But between the moment it worked and stopped working I did not do any changes/updates to my phone. Very strange.
It wasn't anything you did, is something screwy with Android OS. At some point within last few years it has altered the permission dialog that used to run the first time you installed/ran an app. It varies between not showing it all or only showing a fraction of the permissions an app uses.

Help!
New to the sport, new to the Hide and have a Brandy New Kestrel 5700.
I'm doing something wrong.
Ruger RPR .300wm, Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56
Sig 190gr OTM
1000 yrds.
Kestrel Data.
Dia. 0.308
Weight 190 gr
BC 0.521
MV 2962 (Avg take with a Mag V3)
ZR 100 yrd
BH 2.50
Twist 1:9
Kestrel is telling me to have an Elev of 7.84 Mils.
I need and hit the target with 6.7 Mils.
At 1100 yrds, Kestrel says 9.38u and I'm hitting it with 8.6 mils.

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Help!
Sig 190gr OTM
1000 yrds.
Kestrel Data.
Dia. 0.264
Weight 190 gr
BC 0.521
ZR 100 yrd
BH 2.50

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
That BC looks low for a 30 cal 190.
Should be low to mid .530’s for a G1

Help!
Sig 190gr OTM
1000 yrds.
Kestrel Data.
Dia. 0.308
Weight 190 gr
BC 0.521
ZR 100 yrd
BH 2.50

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
Your BC is off. Did you try inputting a G7 BC?

Your data is off, then. I would check everything and recalibrate.

Is there any particular reason you're using G1 instead of G7?
What/which data? Something sure it off.
The MV is off a Mag V3 I took, it's close to what the Man says.
Instructor I had. He knew the Kestrel pretty well, and------seemed to know the other stuff also.
I sure am missing SOMETHING.

What/which data? Something sure it off.
The MV is off a Mag V3 I took, it's close to what the Man says.
Instructor I had. He knew the Kestrel pretty well, and------seemed to know the other stuff also.
I sure am missing SOMETHING.
It could be anything, that's why you have to check. The Kestrel is simply a fancy calculator, garbage data in equals garbage data out. If you are requiring less elevation for any calculated distance you need to verify your data (MV, twist, BC, etc).

All barrels are different, don't trust MV off a box of ammo.

It could be anything, that's why you have to check. The Kestrel is simply a fancy calculator, garbage data in equals garbage data out. If you are requiring less elevation for any calculated distance you need to verify your data (MV, twist, BC, etc).

All barrels are different, don't trust MV off a box of ammo.
I took the MV off a Mag V3, 5 shots and took the average.

I took the MV off a Mag V3, 5 shots and took the average.
I understand that. But you also need to make sure that the MV is actually a true number, your BC is correct, your equipment is correct, etc. Equipment breaks and can be wrong, numbers can be wrong. At the end of the day, it's your data that you're trusting.

I understand that. But you also need to make sure that the MV is actually a true number, your BC is correct, your equipment is correct, etc. Equipment breaks and can be wrong, numbers can be wrong. At the end of the day, it's your data that you're trusting.
Hence why I am here.
You want your Yamaha Outboard fixed, I am your guy.
I am new to LD, heck, I am new to shooting.
I know I have bad data, what data is bad?
The listed MV is 2850 here is the data I took.
Anyway, I have DOPE, I can hit it.
Capture11.JPG

20210206_100551.jpg

Help!
Sig 190gr OTM
1000 yrds.
Kestrel Data.
Dia. 0.308
Weight 190 gr
BC 0.521
ZR 100 yrd
BH 2.50

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

What's your actual dope at 400/600/800/1000? And whats your elevation & temp?

Was the distance verified with a laser range finder, or very high confidence?

Reactions: lte82
Again, use the app to build your gun profile using the AB bullet library, Custom if available, G7 if not, transfer the profile to the Kestrel and do the Calc MV function in the Gun Profile in submenu MV. That is what trues the Kestrel to your rifle. Until you do that, you have not completed the basic data input.

Reactions: Ghost29