Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

ScottDWallace

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2018
Austin, TX
Interesting. double pressing my light button takes me to the compass. To be more accurate, it toggle between Ballistic and Weather mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd

CavReconScout

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 18, 2013
Illinois
While in weather mode toggle through the screens until you get to wind. Then double click back to AB. Next time you double click back to weather it will display wind.

Reactions: seansmd

Drewdemon

Online Member
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
I have a few Kestrel questions. I have the 5700 Elite;
  1. Gun profiles; If you choose from the bullet library, does that override the manual information? or vise versa? What takes priority?
  2. I'm shooting 136g Lapua Scenar-L's. The manufacturer's website states the G7 BC is .274 but if I use the Kestrel library it changes it to G7 .285. Who do I trust?
  3. Gun Data> Muzzle Velocity>I enter my MV (2,744 @60F). Save. I view MV-Temp table and the Kestrel added it to the chart but as 70F. I zero all the fields and add 60F then save. I check the MV-Temp table and the degrees are not sequiturs? See the attached image, for example, the 90f temp has a slower MV than the 70f MV. Etc...
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

Steel head

Feral kitten
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington
I have a few Kestrel questions. I have the 5700 Elite;
  1. Gun profiles; If you choose from the bullet library, does that override the manual information? or vise versa? What takes priority?
  2. I'm shooting 136g Lapua Scenar-L's. The manufacturer's website states the G7 BC is .274 but if I use the Kestrel library it changes it to G7 .285. Who do I trust?
  3. Gun Data> Muzzle Velocity>I enter my MV (2,744 @60F). Save. I view MV-Temp table and the Kestrel added it to the chart but as 70F. I zero all the fields and add 60F then save. I check the MV-Temp table and the degrees are not sequiturs? See the attached image, for example, the 90f temp has a slower MV than the 70f MV. Etc...
What am I doing wrong?
You can pick a profile and adjust its BC as long as it’s not their CDM selections.

Try your BC, if it works it works.

I just populate the the MV-temp in the kestrel itself with a high and low.

Drewdemon

Online Member
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
You can pick a profile and adjust its BC as long as it’s not their CDM selections.

Try your BC, if it works it works.

I just populate the the MV-temp in the kestrel itself with a high and low.
So your saying one doesn't override the other?
How do you know if your BC "works"?

seansmd

In a minute man
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
San Jose, CA
So your saying one doesn't override the other?
How do you know if your BC "works"?
I would start by trusting the AB G7, and then go through the process shared here multiple times to true your data. 500-600 yards true the MV, then validate dope out to trans and adjust BC if needed.

Drewdemon

Online Member
Belligerents
Feb 20, 2017
And how about the non sequitur MV-Temp table?

Gun Data> Muzzle Velocity>I enter my MV (2,744 @60F). Save. I view MV-Temp table and the Kestrel added it to the chart but as 70F. I zero all the fields and add 60F then save. I check the MV-Temp table and the degrees are not sequiturs? See the attached image, for example, the 90f temp has a slower MV than the 70f MV. Etc...

Powder_Burns

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 4, 2009
Colorado
Picked up a 5700 elite with AB today. Setting the unit up at the store we saw a feature to estimate range to target with the reticle. Now that I’m home playing with the unit I can’t find this feature. Firmware is v1.4, I’m wondering if maybe I updated it when pairing the kestrel with the mobile app and the feature went away or if I just imagined the whole thing.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Got it thanks. Will be using a lrf anyway but thought it was handy to have the calculator built in if I wanted to reticle range.
Yes. Im interested in using the feature. On the rare occasion I shoot unknown distance the only shot of the day that matters is the first one.

I take a lot of time setting up. I'll range that steel now on paper, via Kestrel estimate, and via LRF.

I like the milling skill and want to be better at it.

Powder_Burns

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 4, 2009
Colorado
Yes. Im interested in using the feature. On the rare occasion I shoot unknown distance the only shot of the day that matters is the first one.

I take a lot of time setting up. I'll range that steel now on paper, via Kestrel estimate, and via LRF.

I like the milling skill and want to be better at it.
There was a thread a few years back that had a bunch of through the scope pics of targets so you could try and estimate distance and op would divulge actual range. Kind of fun at the time.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
There was a thread a few years back that had a bunch of through the scope pics of targets so you could try and estimate distance and op would divulge actual range. Kind of fun at the time.
If his through the scope pics were that good he has more patience than I.......or specific engineered gear.