• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Target speed is not used in the hold calculation. The shooter would need to look in the target screen or ballistic screen for the hold and then manually determine if it is moving left or right and then add or subtract from the hold. You can change target speed and you will see no change in you wind hold.
Thank you. It was tedious. Getting to know my K slowly but surely. I just can't imagine shooting without it.

I’ve done a bit of research on this but can not find a more streamline method...

5700 elite when setting up multiple active targets at different DOF from same shooting position. I understand that you can do a wind capture from the target card screen that will be applied to all active targets, but is there a more streamline way to do this? For example a default option to have the wind capture and wind direction from TgtA applied to all active targets? Or is the only way to do this through the target card screen?

I’ve done a bit of research on this but can not find a more streamline method...

5700 elite when setting up multiple active targets at different DOF from same shooting position. I understand that you can do a wind capture from the target card screen that will be applied to all active targets, but is there a more streamline way to do this? For example a default option to have the wind capture and wind direction from TgtA applied to all active targets? Or is the only way to do this through the target card screen?

Target Card Screen only.
Was playing with it today. In the enviro screen won’t “wind capture >> all targets” do exactly what I want?

dWdIoDth.jpg

Can you fix how the Kestrel BC change causes it to scroll preloaded CDs and changes all bullet parameters and BC?

I accidentally scrolled past G7 and I now have to fix the profile.

Having this happen during a course or competition would be awful.

My propose is to not write over the original values, so changing back to G1 or G7 would return everything as it was. Or require a confirmation of settings change upon exit and only save then?

Hello

After calibrating the compass, I set up 7 targets A-G on the iPhone, setting direction of fire, angle, range for each target. Then I and sent them from the iPhone to the Kestrel 5700X. I set up the Kestrel on a tripod with its wind vane and set capture to continuous. I never noted the values in my target card dynamically update/recalculate on my iPhone. What is more, when I went to single target engagement on the iPhone, the wind direction and speed as well as the turret corrections never updated with the wind. What could I be doing wrong? I would love to see continuous updating of my corrections due to changes sensed by the Kestrel on the vane.

Thanks for your help,

Migs

The Mult-target screen only updates when you press the Pull Targets from Kestrel icon. The HUD will updated multi-target realtime but not the app.
ttps://kestrelmeters.com/pages/kestrel-link-bluetooth-apps
At the end it says (see number 5) that "...When in Wind Capture mode and connected to the application, your windage holds will automatically update on your IOS device..." which seems contrary to your observation that a pull must be made each time.

New user question as I'm still reading through the 16 pages of the thread (5700 Elite w/AB and Link).

Is it easier (or better) to set up separate profiles for suppressed and unsuppressed? I understand I can use the offsets, but was wondering what the hive has experienced or suggestions. I'm shooting an AI AXMC in 300 PRC with two different loads (Berger 220 and H225) and the same rifle in 260R (also with two differing loads), and each suppressed and unsuppressed. TIA.

Last edited:
Target speed does not affect holds, it would be added or subtracted by the shooter to the wind hold. Why it is not 0, I don't have an answer for.
Is there a way for the Kestrel to calculate the hold for a mover. Can you input distance and mover speed and with the ballistic information in the Kestrel calculate a hold?

Reactions: ceruleanblue
Is there a way for the Kestrel to calculate the hold for a mover. Can you input distance and mover speed and with the ballistic information in the Kestrel calculate a hold?
Yes, better yet is using mils per second. This takes into account any angle of movement. If you have a real slow lock time when you first start, you might find your best rounding up etc.

The magnetic declination at my location is -8 deg 44' Is it important to update this data in the Kestrel so that a better firing solution is achieved? If so, how is this done?

Hello! It's me again. I have Kestrel 5700 Elite with AB. Discrepancy between Kestrel Link ballistics and AB app is about 0.2 - 0.4 mil

All data is the same: gun, bullet, MV, ВС G7(or custom), sight height, spin drift.

The BC is custom on both applications Kestrel Link Ballistics and Applied ballistics.

Discrepancy of elevation adjustment begins an ranges after 550 m.

Temp +15 С

humidity 50%

Baro 1000 hPa

Bullet .308 Lapua Lock Base 170

The BC G7 is 0.238 or custom on both applications Kestrel Link Ballistics and Applied ballistics.

MV - 840 m/s

barrel 26"

Twist 12"R

Scope height - 6.8 cm

Remain velocity, Energy, TOF , do not match with each other in all distances

screenshots Below : left to right
Applied Ballictics Application, Kestrel bBallistics App (Kestrel device the same ), Applied Ballistics web calculator

Can you explayn why is that ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-05-10-58-05-589_com.appliedballisticsllc.appliedballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-05-10-58-05-589_com.appliedballisticsllc.appliedballistics.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_2021-04-05-11-01-41-478_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-05-11-01-41-478_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_2021-04-05-11-02-01-049_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-05-11-02-01-049_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_2021-04-05-11-01-46-941_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-05-11-01-46-941_com.nkhome.link.ballistics.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hello! It's me again. I have Kestrel 5700 Elite with AB. Discrepancy between Kestrel Link ballistics and AB app is about 0.2 - 0.4 mil

All data is the same: gun, bullet, MV, ВС G7(or custom), sight height, spin drift.

The BC is custom on both applications Kestrel Link Ballistics and Applied ballistics.

Discrepancy of elevation adjustment begins an ranges after 550 m.

Temp +15 С

humidity 50%

Baro 1000 hPa

Bullet .308 Lapua Lock Base 170

The BC G7 is 0.238 or custom on both applications Kestrel Link Ballistics and Applied ballistics.

MV - 840 m/s

barrel 26"

Twist 12"R

Scope height - 6.8 cm

Remain velocity, Energy, TOF , do not match with each other in all distances

screenshots Below : left to right
Applied Ballictics Application, Kestrel bBallistics App (Kestrel device the same ), Applied Ballistics web calculator

Can you explayn why is that ?
If you change them both to the same g7 do they line up?

If so it confirms your setups are the same and would point to different custom curve versions in my opinion.

Last edited:
If you change them both to the same g7 do they live up?

If so if confirms your setups are the same and would point to different custom curve versions in my opini
No. I tried with G7. Other bullets match

Last edited:
Check your latitude and firing direction are the same in both app & Kestrel.
all the same. If I input the same data and G7 BC , it shows like the same. When I set purchased custom drag from AB App and downloaded custom drag from Kestrel Link Ballistic my elevation adjustment don't match

Last edited:
all the same. If I input the same data and G7 BC , it shows like the same. When I set purchased custom drag from AB App and downloaded custom drag from Kestrel Link Ballistic my elevation adjustment don't match
As I said previously, if the curves match when using g7, then the custom curves are different revisions.

AB maintains and publishes different curves of the same bullet over time, depending on when the device releases the library, and if and when you update your devices can allow the versions to be out of sync.

AB maintains and publishes different curves of the same bullet over time, depending on when the device releases the library, and if and when you update your devices can allow the versions to be out of sync.

My devices have the latest firmware and bullet library.

Reactions: seansmd
Another question.

I have set wind1 on 2m/s and wind2 on 4.5m/s.
But the windage on wind 1 is always higher than on wind 2, vice versa to the wind speed.

For example at 800m:

W 1.80/0.89L

What is wrong?

Reactions: Davidu
ballistics don't match AB App vs Kestrel 5700 elite with Custom drag models . Whet I set G7 BC Kestrel ballistics matches the AB application.

I think this is due to different data on the servers Kestrel Ballistics and Applied ballistics

Reactions: seansmd
ballistics don't match AB App vs Kestrel 5700 elite with Custom drag models . Whet I set G7 BC Kestrel ballistics matches the AB application.

I think this is due to different data on the servers Kestrel Ballistics and Applied ballistics
This happened a while back on the hornady 140eldm. @DocUSMCRetired helped get it resolved.

Which one lines up with the actual dope?

Last edited:
.308 win Lapua Lock Base 170 gr, Scenar L 175 gr, Scenar 185 gr custom drag models don't match.

Kestrel vs AB App.
Which programs dope, lines up with the actual dope you shot?

I’m running a 5700 elite, I can’t seem to get it to update firmware. When I open the app and the kestrel connects, I get the prompt, but when I try to update, at 15% it tells me update failed. Always at 15%. Also the Bluetooth connection gets dropped intermittently.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m running a 5700 elite, I can’t seem to get it to update firmware. When I open the app and the kestrel connects, I get the prompt, but when I try to update, at 15% it tells me update failed. Always at 15%. Also the Bluetooth connection gets dropped intermittently.
Any help would be much appreciated.
1- In the Kestrel Bluetooth menu make sure Privacy pin is turned off. This is the likely cause. If it is already off try these actions.

2- Soft reset, take battery out of Kestrel and hold power button for 30 seconds and then replace battery. Try again.

3- put phone in airplane mode.

4- In Kestrel Display menu turn auto shutdown to off.

5- If the above do not work, download the Kestrel Link app (not the Ballistic Link app) and see it that will perform the update.

When all else fails call us - 800 7845-4221 and say you are unable to update firmware.

I have not once been able to have my Kestrel or my App retain my gun profiles through an update. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I'm searching for the VAR field to set the magnetic declination on my 5700X with Firmware 1.45 and can't find it.
Go to Main Menu and select Weather mode and press enter. Use up or down until you see Direction on the screen and press center button. Change to True North and VAR will appear and you can enter the value here.

Go to Main Menu and select Weather mode and press enter. Use up or down until you see Direction on the screen and press center button. Change to True North and VAR will appear and you can enter the value here.
Thank you. I'd have never expected the VAR to be in the Weather menu since True North would have a different ballistic effect than Magnetic North. I'll have to check if this declination is taken into account on the ballistic side when setting direction of fire. Thanks again.

Thank you. I'd have never expected the VAR to be in the Weather menu since True North would have a different ballistic effect than Magnetic North. I'll have to check if this declination is taken into account on the ballistic side when setting direction of fire. Thanks again.
True north corrected is magnetic north right?

True north corrected is magnetic north right?
True north is pointing directly to the north pole, around which the world rotates. Since magnetic north constantly moves and is far away from true north a correction is added to the magnetic measurement in order to yeild the true north direction. This site will give you the correction value at your location: https://www.magnetic-declination.com/
Another way to say it is: Magnetic declination, sometimes called magnetic variation, is the angle between magnetic north and true north.
for shits and giggles from https://brainly.com/question/9591980 :
  • According to the map that shows the plot of the magnetic declination of the world, the worst magnetic declination is seen in the northeastern part of the USA.
  • The magnetic declination here, specifically in the state of Washington, is close to 21°.
  • In this part of the United States, the explorers and travelers need to adjust the magnetic compass up to 21° to get the true north.
So when you point your Kestrel in that part of the US you are actually 21 degrees off a true reading unless you update the VAR variable in the Weather menu of your Kestrel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

True north is pointing directly to the north pole, around which the world rotates. Since magnetic north constantly moves and is far away from true north a correction is added to the magnetic measurement in order to yeild the true north direction. This site will give you the correction value at your location: https://www.magnetic-declination.com/
Another way to say it is: Magnetic declination, sometimes called magnetic variation, is the angle between magnetic north and true north.
for shits and giggles from https://brainly.com/question/9591980 :
  • According to the map that shows the plot of the magnetic declination of the world, the worst magnetic declination is seen in the northeastern part of the USA.
  • The magnetic declination here, specifically in the state of Washington, is close to 21°.
  • In this part of the United States, the explorers and travelers need to adjust the magnetic compass up to 21° to get the true north.
So when you point your Kestrel in that part of the US you are actually 21 degrees off a true reading unless you update the VAR variable in the Weather menu of your Kestrel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Whether using True North with a declination or Magnetic North, the relationship between the DOF and WD will be the same as it is relative. Really the only issue you would have with using Magnetic is with Coriolis effects being slightly off. For example at 1000 yards, if you think you are pointing 0 degrees but are off by 21 degrees, you would incur around 0.03 mil difference in Vertical Coriolis. At 2000 yards this is around 0.07 mils. IMO unless shooting at really extended ranges, it is much easier to use Magnetic North and not worry about declination.

1- In the Kestrel Bluetooth menu make sure Privacy pin is turned off. This is the likely cause. If it is already off try these actions.

2- Soft reset, take battery out of Kestrel and hold power button for 30 seconds and then replace battery. Try again.

3- put phone in airplane mode.

4- In Kestrel Display menu turn auto shutdown to off.

5- If the above do not work, download the Kestrel Link app (not the Ballistic Link app) and see it that will perform the update.

When all else fails call us - 800 7845-4221 and say you are unable to update firmware.
Thank you for the reply, I’ll give that a try and let you know.

Whether using True North with a declination or Magnetic North, the relationship between the DOF and WD will be the same as it is relative. Really the only issue you would have with using Magnetic is with Coriolis effects being slightly off. For example at 1000 yards, if you think you are pointing 0 degrees but are off by 21 degrees, you would incur around 0.03 mil difference in Vertical Coriolis. At 2000 yards this is around 0.07 mils. IMO unless shooting at really extended ranges, it is much easier to use Magnetic North and not worry about declination.
The real question then becomes if the VAR correction is taken into account in the ballistic computations of the Kestrel. It might not make a difference most of the time (maybe a lot in ELR) but for peace of mind it would be great to know that it has been taken into account in the displayed results of the device.

The real question then becomes if the VAR correction is taken into account in the ballistic computations of the Kestrel. It might not make a difference most of the time (maybe a lot in ELR) but for peace of mind it would be great to know that it has been taken into account in the displayed results of the device.
If in the weather mode you are using magnetic the ballistic calculation uses magnetic. If you change it to True the ballistic formula uses True.

Friends

I just discovered that Kestrel has Zoom classes to teach you how to use your device. I wish I had found this sooner. Sign up and learn at:

Enjoy!

Migs