• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Kestrel with Atrag ballistic software

Re: Kestrel with Atrag ballistic software

Have one, have shot at least a couple competitions using it for about 99% of my dope, very handy to always have the current atmosphere in there automatically. Highly recommend it.

Got mine from Tony @ Impact Data Books.

Jasonk thanks I'm shooting a DTA srs in 308 and just getting into this long range stuff and I am just using that ballistic AE app on my iPhone right now and seems to work good I just hate having my phone out all the time while shooting. So when I saw this it was AWESOME news but just wanna hear from a few people to see how accurate it is on data.

It's great and has been accurate in very different enviromentals. It's easy to setup and handles multiple guns. I'm actually ordering an extra one as a backup.

I recommend the Blue Tooth version, at a match I saw a competitor setup a small tripod and put his Kestrel/Atrag on it, on the line he had either his cell(Not IPhone) or a PDA and the info was right there real time, even if you don't have a PDA or compatibale cell you might in the future.

It has been spot on against shooter on android system out to a mile for me.

We have sold alot of them thru our site. If you are running your data from a ballistic program then this unit will give you what you need as well as taking your environmental data right from the wind unit.
We have the meters in the tool section of our site if you are looking to order.

Nomad what's the blue tooth for if it's a all in one unit? Is that just for a computer

IMO, wouldn't BT in this model kind of defeat the purpose?

I currently have a 4500 with BT that I sync up with Shooter on my phone. I somewhat dislike having to carry two devices, and we all know how long phone batteries last nowadays. Plus, syncing Shooter with Kestrel is a PITA most of the time.

If I were to ever get the Kestrel with Atrag, it would be to eliminate the need for a second device (phone or PDA).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO, wouldn't BT in this model kind of defeat the purpose?

I currently have a 4500 with BT that I sync up with Shooter on my phone. I somewhat dislike having to carry two devices, and we all know how long phone batteries last nowadays. Plus, syncing Shooter with Kestrel is a PITA most of the time.

If I were to ever get the Kestrel with Atrag, it would be to eliminate the need for a second device (phone or PDA). </div></div>

Agreed.

Kestrel bluetooth does not work with an iPhone afaik. Otherwise, it does allow data logging etc, but obviously what shooters will want it for is to get it into a ballistic computer which the ATRAG does quite well.

I routinely take my 308 out of the bag and have cold bore hits on steel at 750 with the data Kestrel w/ATRAG gives me.

I'm probably gonna take the plunge shortly
smile.gif

I have used this and the PDA. I prefer the PDA due to its ease of use but I love the Kestrel for its rugged reliability

all - your missing the main point of the Bluetooth. The bluetooth allows you to sync the kestrel with your computer. This is really nice when you want to use the Horus software to manage the gun list on the Kestrel - so you don't have to do it all on the device by hand. You can also delete the default guns and load up a bunch more with all your specific changes. Using a keyboard rather than the device keys is soooo much nicer.

You can use the serial cable but adding bluetooth is in my mind easier since its not going to get lost.