• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Kimber 84M accuracy problems

rcr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2008
Seattle
www.esurgeon.com
I bought a new Kimber 84M Classic in 7mm-08 to celebrate getting back from Iraq a month ago.

Unfortunately it doesn't shoot worth a shit.

I had heard that this was a periodic problem with the Kimbers and that because of their dainty actions and firing pin springs may be prone to misfires but thought this was a thing of the past.

It shoots no better than 5 inch groups at 100 yds in a rest, with zero wind, 63 degrees at 3200 feet elevation. It didn't matter whether it was factory ammo or handloads.

I checked to make sure all the action screws were tight, the scope was good.

I swear to God, it gave me the same sinking feeling I had after amputating someones leg in Iraq.

I called Kimber to ask but just got voicemail. I'll try to keep calling to see what they can come up with. Sorry to vent. Couldn't vent to my wife...she would never let me forget how much I paid for the rifle.

Any thoughts anyone?

Rick Rooney

Re: Kimber 84M accuracy problems

Wow, that is pretty bad. I have heard a few horror stories about the Kimbers. I have also heard of people sending them back and if they shot better than say......4 MOA at 100 yards that they were "in spec" and sent back.

Maybe you can have your local smith do a few things. Maybe check to see if the barrel was free floated, glass bed the rifle, re crown it, and so on.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had an 84M in 7-08 a few years back and it shot "OK" maybe 1.25-1.5 MOA - BUT - that barrel picked up copper like no other barrel I've owned and it never got clean - I'm talking soaking it in Butches over days.

But I loved the balance and weight. So I sent it off to PacNor to duplicate the factory contour (not much room in that forend for hogging out a new contour) and had it chambered in 260. It shoots sub moa with Hornady 140 grain soft points. I love that rifle now!

Sorry to hear about that. 5" group at 100 yards Wow!. I know Kimber rifles are not cheap. Have you tried cleaning the barrel after a few shots to see if the grouping is any better? I would get the contact info from Kimber and write them a letter. Send a copy of your target with it VIA CERTIFIED WITH RETURN ADDRESS. That way you know for sure some pencil pusher dick head from Kimber accepted your complaint. Also, it would be nice if you can get a couples accomplished shooter at your club, range to shoot the rifle and send those targets with your letter. It's to show that it's not the operator's problem. In all honesty, 5 MOA at 100 yards has got to be the stick's problem. I don't care how bad a shooter one has to be. Next step then ask them is this how they treat their customers? especially Iraq war Vet? I am sure you will have their attention very quickly. Good luck my friend. BTW, where did you do your ortho training?

Desert, I have a 84m in 308. Same thing plus the fact that out of a box of 20 three to four would fail to fire. It was sent to kimber twice and supposed to have been fixed, even came with a target with a 5/8" 3 shot group. Funny thing was I couldn't do it, plus it still misfired even more than before I sent it in. So I took to task myself to figure out the misfire problem. I noticed after measuring firing pin protrusion on the kimber and other rifles that I own, I decided the pin needed to protrude .010 more so I machined it off the shoulder where it stops inside the bolt. I realize the firing pin is adjustable, but, it still would stop on the shoulder. Now I have no misfires and using 168grn triple shocks, 3 shots in .5 at 100yds. I now finally after four years and fixing it myself love my Kimber. Wouldn't buy another one thoug just because of the hassel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Headache
one of us

Posted Feb 17, 7:08 AM Hide Post
Retired!!! From Kimber. Sr. Design Engineer managing the rifle program and designing the rifles. Consulting for Kimber two days a week doing the same job.

Worked for USRAC (Winchester) 11 1/2 years as Sr. Design Engineer responsible for the M70 rifle line. Before that it was Wildey Firearms for 12 1/2 years.

Lots of fun.

Headache

Posts: 132 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002</div></div>
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/.../2331082301/p/3

You could ask that guy.

I would like to get a 84M.
I could rebarrel yours.
If you want to sell cheap, I would be interested.

I don't think there is any way around the facts that it is a high quality rifle, but the bullet and powder mass to gun mass ratio is too high.

Hill Country used to perform their accurizing jobs on Kimbers, but the latest word is that they won't touch them any more. Customer service at Kimber is spotty (to be kind), so trying to get them to fix the accuracy issues is likely to be a long and frustrating ordeal - I'd try to return the rifle for a full refund and get something else that shoots. You might want to take a look at the new Winchester Featherweights.

You deserve a whole lot better than you got after a trip to the sandbox.

I own a 338 Federal 84 NRA and as with many super light rifles she is a finicky bitch. Factory loads are MOE (minute of Elk) but with 185 TSXs and 4198, yes 4198! I can get 5 in 1" and equal factory ballistics. Is it worth the effort? If you walk a lot when you hunt and it's all uphill...YES, otherwise 6 pounds vs 9 pounds is no big deal. Never had a misfire or any other mechanical problem. It always goes bang and kills right now.

IME the M70 Featherweights dont shoot worth a damn until they are rebedded (to get rid of the lump of glue) and free floated. Then they'll do MOA but still are not as light and quick as the M84.

DSCN1897.jpg

Guys I really appreciate the feedback...

I'll tell you, the smell of the oiled wood, the balance, the checkering...it is intoxicating. I think think that is what gave me the feeling like I wanted to vomit.

I'll give Kimber the benefit of the doubt and try to work with them...and hold my breath.

I'd read about the firing pin issue but figured that was resolved. This particular rifle left the plant in Jan '08. I just expected no problems.

Rick

Mr. Humble,

Do you think the factory loads and my hand loads were too hot? I'd read that somewhere before. I used H4895, H4350, and Varget in a variety of different batches but started in the higher ranges for the charge. I didn't have any pressure signs even at the higher end of the 'published' ranges.

rick

I have a number of 10 pound [+ scope + bi pod + sling + ammo] rifles that shoot 33 - 110 gr bullets into sub moa groups with dependability.

I wish I had a 5 pound [+ scope + bi pod + sling + ammo] rifle that shot 130 - 180 gr bullets into sub moa groups with dependability.

I am trying to build a 5 pound 1 moa big game rifle with the 98 Mauser action. If I cut out some weight, put on a #1 taper premium 22" barrel and a foam core stock from High Tech Specialties [Bansner], that winds up being allot like a Kimber 84M.

A more traditional hierarchy of accuracy needs:
1) Benchrest 0.2 moa
2) Varmint 1.0 moa
3) Deer hunting 6.0 moa

My problem is that shooting big game over sage brush is not like shooting deer at 100 yards in the woods, but often at 500 yards.

I need varmint accuracy in a deer rifle.
And those rifles can get heavy, carrying them all day long for days.

a customer brought one of the SVTs in 22-250 into my shop last year that he couldn't get to group and it was rupturing cases. Checked headspace which was off the charts, suggested that he send it back to Kimber(he did). When he got it back it still wasn't shooting like it should so we checked it out.
They set the barrel back and re-cut the chamber, upon doing this they had nothing but reamer chatter in the shoulder of the area and his fired cases were on the verge of separating.
We went ahead and worked on it and made it right and it's been good to go since.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse!!

As it turns out, I bought this rifle from a retiree I know that won it in an NRA auction. I paid him what it would have cost to get on from a dealer and it was still new in the box.

When I talked to Kimber and explained it, even though the rifle was built in 2008 the warranty is no good. They are happy to look at it but anything they do they'll charge me and won't guarantee any accuracy improvment.

So if I rebarrel this thing, the headspace is correct and the action is trued, it's accuracy should be all about the barrel right?

Rick,
I spent the better part 10 years trying to get a 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards that I read about on the internet.
I do not have all the answers, but I know allot of the common folklore on accuracy and have opinions.

The best financial thing for YOU to do is sell your rifle on the internet to someone who does not know of the problems. Gunsamerica, gunbroker, or auctionarms.
Not as good for you financially, is selling to the small number of readers on this thread who know there is a problem and pay only a discount.

But you could keep trying to get accuracy.
1) The first thing I would do is check the scope mount to receiver screws for tightness. If the mount and rings are separate, the rings must come off the mount. Guys are reluctant to loose their zero, but have the bad groups I have ever seen are caused by this.
2) Go to the range when there is no wind. Those surveyor tape ribbons should be hanging straight down. If there is a 3 mph wind, shoot the 50 yard target, not the 100 yard target. Look on accuweather.com for wind predictions for the range area.
3) The receiver to stock fit should be checked. The mating surfaces can be cleaned with alcohol and a Q tip. Inspect the glass bedding for solidly supporting the action in front of and behind the front action screw. The action screws should be very tight, with the forward screw getting more toque first.
4) The bullet should be entering the bore concentrically, or the spinning from rifling will fling the bullet in random directions at the muzzle.
a) The inside of the neck of the case should be straight and concentric with respect to the taper of the shoulder. This usually means throwing away the expander ball, using Lee collet neck dies, partial neck turning and other reloading techniques.
b) The bullet should touch the lands. This can cause problems: 1) an increase in pressure, so lower the charge a grain. 2) The bullet can get stuck in the lands when an unfired round is extracted, so don't jam it so far into the lands.
c) The bolt face should be square with the bore, so when the case is pushed back, it does not push the rear of the bullet sideways. Sometimes the base of the brass is trued with a Wilson trimmer used with the case holder backwards.
d) The chamber must be cut concentric with the bore. The bore may not be straight. The dialing in of bore in the chambering lathe should use a spud and be test indicated over length and made concentric with the lathe over length with a gimbal and spider.
e) Reducing the twist rate reduces the effect of bullets entering the bore non concentrically. Reduce the choice of barrel twist to the slowest rate twist practical for the bullets to be used.
5) The bore should be free of excessive Copper fouling that could damage the bullet. I use a 20" Nite-Ize fiber optic flashlight accessory and a magnifying glass to get a bore scope view of the 1" of bore at the muzzle. Getting the Copper out may take days of effort, and if the bore fills with Copper again in two groups, get a new barrel.
6) The throat of the barrel should not be shot out. Used 22-250 rifles used on rodents will be good examples of this. There may be a 7mm-08 out there with a shot out throat, but it would be hard to find. It would take many thousands of rounds, which will not happen with a light 7mm-08.
7) The barrel should not warp from heat. Barrels can be stress relieved, and Douglas, Hart, Shilen.... do this. Cheap unrelieved barrels must be shot with waiting for cooling to get good groups. the thinner and longer the barrel the bigger the problem with warping.
8) The barrel can whip around when firing. The accuracy can be improved by: a) shortening the barrel b) getting a fatter barrel c) tuning the handload to the barrel d) turning the barrel to the factory load with a Boss system.
9) The barrel can be bent by the stock from warped stock or expanding hot barrel. This can be fixed by floating the barrel, which is having clearance between the barrel and the stock at all but the 2" near the receiver.
10) The recoil of the rifle moves the rifle before the bullet exits. If the reaction to recoil changes shot to shot, then the point of impact changes shot to shot. The placement in the bags or benchrest must be consistent. The pressure on the shoulder, hands, and bags, must be consistent. Heavy rifles and light bullets make less movement.
11) The trigger pull can move the rifle. This can be improved by; a) practicing dry firing at the range until the cross hairs stay on the bullseye b) install a hair trigger.
12) The scope power for groups on a target must be high enough. My human eye can resolve about 1 moa. To get a .1 moa group a 10X scope would be needed if everything else were perfect.
13) The range bench can be shaky. This shakiness may not be visible with low power scopes. Concrete is better than wood connected in parallelogram.
14) The case neck should not scratch the bullet. Pull bullets to check. This can be fixes with inside neck chamfering.
15) Bullet length can affect accuracy.
a) Short bullets are lighter bullets with less recoil and can improve accuracy.
b) Long bullets are more likely to get concentric despite other problems and can improve accuracy.
d) Bullets too long for twist rate may go unstable and key hole at long range or low velocity loads or all the time.
16) Watch out for benchrest techniques that will waste time and money, yet give no measurable improvement at the hunting level; weighing charges, weighing brass, neck turning, tight neck chambers, 6mmPPC, chasing action threads, etc.

You should be able to duplicate factory velocity and get 5 shot 1" groups with some combination. None of the major gun companies have very high standards of accuracy. There was a post on another thread about a guy being told by Remington that 3" groups in his 700 were within tolerences. Interesting that I have yet to see a "road test" of any Kimber rifle that wasn't reasonably accurate (1.5 MOA), even in publications like Gun Tests that buy rifles off the rack. I have only found two kinds of rifles that shoot sub MOA out of the box. The first are Savage bolt actions, the second is any brand when equipped with the BOSS tuning system. That said every cartridge rifle in my safe that is 30 caliber or smaller will shoot, at worst 1 MOA and everyone bigger will do 1.5 MOA. Even my Merkel semi auto 9.3x62 will punch 5 TSXs or Accubonds into 1.25 MOA. But, it did take some experimenting to get there! The Merkel in action:
RS_0108_gear15A2.jpg

I guess the biggest lesson out of all of this is that Kimber are complete fucking douchebags & I'll never buy anything from them. Bad enough they put out a shit product that won't perform but hiding behind some bullshit warranty small print, especially when it concerns a vet is beyond the pale.

And yes Virginia, I work in the industry & ANY company I was associated with would do their damn best to make sure the guy was taken care of.

Kimber can go suck a sack of dicks as far as I am concerned.

Gman,

You have articulated my exact feelings.

I can't figure out why they wouldn't want to honor it period.

The amount of time, energy and $$ it would cost them to put a rifle back in my hands that will shoot 1 1/2 groups will be trivial. Even if they just exchanged it if they couldn't fix it.

If they did that I would be impressed and if anyone asked what I thought about Kimber I would say 'I got a lemon at first but they made it right'.

If they don't then I will tell everyone I know NEVER to risk buying a Kimber. Buy a Thompson Center, or a Tikka, or Sako or Weatherby that will guarantee their accuracy. I suspect in the long run they will lose at least one rifle sale which will cost them more than if they would have just fixed it.

Most guys get good ones, but the simple fact is that if you get a bad one (and they have too many of those, there are lots of negative kimber montana reports) kimber is a joke to deal with.

I don't know why their corporate philosophy isn't 'We make good rifles and we'll do what it takes to convince you'.

I was drinking that Kimber Kool-aid too...except I got a batch that Jim Jones brewed up and gave to his folks in South America!!!

Kimbers have been a crap shoot for a while. I had two, one was a .308 montana that shot about 1" to 1 1/4" with any reasonable load and no voodoo involved, put sights on target and squeeze. Kimber Montana in .260 was a different story, I had feed problems and accuracy issues matching yours. Long story short there are a couple of well known issues with the rifle and the customer service. Some people like to point to some special technique for shooting light guns but that is not my experience, it will either shoot or it wont. The customer blamed my poor shooting ability, my scope, bases, ammo and techniques until I told them I had another Kimber that was great.

If you send it back they will mount a 12x leupold on it and shoot it in a machine rest at 50yards with factory ammo. If it is inside of 1.5" at 50yards it "meets standards".

I had a long chat with Hill Country Rifles (above poster is correct, they will no longer work on them due to excessive hair pulling while working on them) and there are a couple of simple things that cure 99% of the kimber problems of accuracy.

1) Recrown, most of the ones I have seen had chatter marks and cleaning them up can do wonders.

2) They are not bedded to the actual receiver, they are bedded to a slave action and variances can occur based on polishing etc.

3) The magazine box is frequenly to long and stresses the entire receiver. If the box is not floating when properly assembeled this is the number one culprit (also the first place hill country would look). Mine .260 actually had a dent in the bottom of the stock from a tab on the bottom of the mag well.

Figuring I had nothing to loose I trimed the tab, touched up the crown with a brass lap and rebedded it. Using the same loads I had previously loaded I ended up with a submoa shooter. I dont know if it was one particular issue or everthing combined but all were simple enough they should have been caught at the factory.

They are an intoxicating mix of balance and weight when they are up and running, take a little time to get it working and you will be very happy. On the other hand if you have that 1% know when to give up and walk away.

It really is too bad, the montana is a great lightweight rifle, if you get one that feeds right, and that shoots okay. Even 1.5" at 100 yards for the weight if it was consistent wouldn't be too bad. It's never a good sign when smiths start telling you they are too much of a headache to even rework to get them to shoot.

It almost makes me wish we had had dad's reworked to try and get it to shoot, but a weatherby submoa is only a pound heavier and shoots a heck of a lot better day in and day out.

Norcal,

Can you explain #3 in a little more detail..i.e. where to trim.

Is recrowning something I could do or do I need a lathe?

Rick

Rick,
With your rifle assembled can you reach down into the magazine well and get the box to move at the front and back? If not you box is to high and when you torque the screws down your putting major stress in your action. When you take the action out you will have two tabs on the sides or back of the magwell (I dont have mine anymore) grind them down about 1/16" to start with and reassemble until it will float with the screws tightend down.

Regarding the crown you will see various opinions, some gunsmiths will froth at the mouth if you dont use a lathe but lots of people have decent results with hand tools. Remember your not recutting the crown, just cleaning it up a little. Brownells has several options. I used a tappered brass head with 300grit compound on it and it polished up just fine in a few seconds.

A good trick is to paint the end of the muzzle with Wite Out
(typing correction fluid). Then shoot it ONCE and see if the pattern of the escaping gas on the muzzle is even all the way around. If not you have a crown problem.

Wow glad I read this as I was considering a light kimber myself. I have an Advance Tactical Kimber and it shoots great, I honestly like it as much as any tac rifle I own, although I know they hand fit and true all the ATs and the 8400 is a diffrent action but you assume quality would be across the board. I guess the hunter models are really hit and miss. It's F-ed up that for what they cost the company won't make it right!

If you look at the rifle,its lines etc and you smile dont despair.

First if you truly like the gun it can be made to shoot, yep that may not be right etc but it is what it is.

Hunting rifle light pencil barrel 1.5 MOA +-.5 is good, not going to shoot like a heavy barrel tac rifle period

Take it to a good smith and have em make it right or sell it.

I've got a Kimber Montana in .260 Rem thaat is absolutely an MOA or less shooter. And yes the mag box floats...Remember it's a light weight pencil barrel hunting rifle so the cold bore shot as well as maybe one followup shot is what counts. Mine will put three or four into one big hole at 100 yds. It shoots factory REM well as well as my Barnes TSX handloads.

I have a Kimber M84 super pro varmint rifle in .223 Remington. When I first bought the rifle, the best group I could achieve was 3 MOA with all kinds of different factory ammunition. After a very tedious 90 round break-in process, I was able to achieve a 1" group. The barrel does not like to shoot more than 20 shots without a thorough cleaning and it picks up copper fouling towards the end of the barrel quickly. The trigger is heavy and it needs to be set to 2.25 lbs instead of the factory 3.5 lb. Through experimentation with different ammunition mixtures of bullet & powder and fire formed, equally weighted brass, I have the rifle shooting a 0.68" group at 100 yards using Hornady 60 grain V-Max bullets and 25.3 grains of Varget. Also. you must clean after 20 rounds or the accuracy starts to fall off. This is the most expensive rifle I have ever purchased. After all this work, I am going to keep it but I have never had to work so hard to achieve accuracy in a firearm before this. I believe Kimber needs a serious wake up call.

Ronald Crim,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry that your effort was so tedious for you.

I find that some rifles need similar work and others do not.

I have five Kimbers and while the last one, a 7mm WSM was accurate from the start I had to do some tuning work on the 270 WSM. So it goes. I do like the Kimber rifles however.

dsc013142ll.jpg

These poor accuracy reports with some Kimbers plus poor customer service are why I went with a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 CM.
Yeah, the X-bolt Pro weighs a pound more than the Kimber Mountain Ascent but most of that weight is in the compressed foam core of the carbon fiber wrapped stock. Browning chose strength over ultimate light weight.

Browning rifles are noted for their out-of-the-box accuracy and my older .300 Win mag A-Bolt did not disappoint. Haven't had chance to sight in my new X-Bolt Pro in but I'm expecting good results - until that pencil thin barrel heats up. But it's a hunting rifle, not a competition rifle like my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle. If I can't get a kill with one or two shots I need to quit hunting.
*And speaking of Rugers, I am selling my 6.5 CM Ruger Amer. Predator but THAT rifle shoots 1/2" to 3/4" MOA with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X ammo! And all reports on the "6.5 Crreedoor Forum" say the same thing. For any rifle it's damn good. But for a $400. rifle it's mazing. (Kimber needs to step up its quality control.)

In fact the "runner up" to the X-Bolt Pro in my factory mountain rifle search was not a Kimber but the SAKO 85 Carbonlight. Same quality, same stainless barreled action, very similar CF stock. But the X-Bolt Pro is $1,000. less and has more features I like.

As for copper fouling, the X-Bolt Pro bore has been factory lapped. Copper fouling should be minimal. I used NECO fire lapping on the A-Bolt, not because it was fouling too much but because I wanted a very smooth bore.

Eric B.

Last edited: