Kinetic Research Group SOTIC?

DJL2

Talon 6
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
I shot this a couple weekends ago on a very windy day. That’s a 200 yard group (I was zeroing a hunting rifle at that distance). Heart breaking, heh. I’m still having some issues managing my bipod. Hope you guys are well.
4E953E95-6036-4D27-B229-7483E7226279.jpeg

DJL2

Talon 6
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
One of these days I’m gonna stop shaming the rifle... the two in the middle are three each. Far left is... call it my warm up. Each group was shot with different technique.
581CE972-8900-4F29-9790-7AB4FD8E2303.jpeg

DJL2

Talon 6
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
I shot a 1000 yd F-class match with my SOTIC this past weekend. I was one of two that showed up with a “normal” rifle. Honestly, I was pretty impressed with the rifle. I was decidedly less so with my wind calling.

DJL2

Talon 6
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
Because I am obligated to keep this thread alive...

I wanted to post these to say that KRG did an first class job putting a rifle together that is truly sub-MOA. Not "it prints less than an inch for three/five shots when I do my part," it prints 10 shots into less than an inch even with me shooting it because it's just that good.

The SOTIC has been an awesome tool that has helped me identify my limits and weak points as a shooter (and a hand loader). The groups here were fired a couple months apart. The 130 TMK was my hand load that I used for the F-class match. The 140 ELD-M I fired today on a lark. I think the groups tell a somewhat unflattering story about my ability as a shooter, but you damn sure can't fault the rifle. Most folks, I think, would actually consider that pretty good for a rifle that weights about 13.5 lbs ready to shoot.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-04-17 13 20 26.133918(1).jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-06-12 17 07 08.492620.jpg

LANCER

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, TX
Has anyone tried any prefit barrels on your SOTICs? If so, which ones are you getting? (I know, we have a barrel nut setup, I suppose I need to know the tenon size) I realize I can order barrels from KRG, and they're excellent, however I want a heavier profile and they don't plan on changing their barrel profiles so I need to go with something else. My 6.5 Chanlynn is amazing, but I can't fire more than 5 rounds before it gets too hot to touch, and our 100+ degree Texas summers only exacerbate the situation.

DJL2

Talon 6
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
I’ll be curious to see what you come up with. My SOTIC has been shot aggressively with respect to firing schedule and heat. I ought to have got two to rotate, heh. I’ve gotta be getting close to a new tube, I should think. That may turn out to be a sad day for me… no guarantees that my next barrel will print all my hot, cold, clean, dirty shots to the same place the way this one does.

I’ve got another short action to carry, albeit not as nice, so going heavier might not be a bad idea…

mwd92870

🤨
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
Kamifornia
Has anyone tried any prefit barrels on your SOTICs? If so, which ones are you getting? (I know, we have a barrel nut setup, I suppose I need to know the tenon size) I realize I can order barrels from KRG, and they're excellent, however I want a heavier profile and they don't plan on changing their barrel profiles so I need to go with something else. My 6.5 Chanlynn is amazing, but I can't fire more than 5 rounds before it gets too hot to touch, and our 100+ degree Texas summers only exacerbate the situation.
TRG/SOTIC Barrel Specs:

Shank thread:

M27 X 1.5 METRIC THREADS

MAJOR DIA: 1.052- 1.062”

MINOR DIA: .981- .998”

PITCH DIA: 1.017- 1.023”

CLASS 6G

LANCER

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, TX
Question:
Which chassis footprint would I use to put the SOTIC rifle into? I'm wanting to take it out of the KRG chassis and possibly into a Cadex. I would assume the T3X inlet should work?
I have a Cadex with T3x footprint but before I disassemble everything, I wanted to double check, especially since the SOTIC has the trigger guard safety.
The KRG chassis is pretty awesome, but it doesn't work for me as well as the Cadex does with my T3x in it. I shoot better at 1k with the .308 T3X than I do with the KRG SOTIC. Not sure why, I'm just not comfortable behind it.

never_summer

Trigger Slapper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I’m pretty positive it has the same footprint as a trg-22 but would have to check with krg. I know vision has a chassis for the trg-22 that would be pretty nice to run

Reactions: LANCER