• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

KRG W3C chassis, how to fit an AI .223 mag?

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Does anyone know how to modify the AI .223 magazine to fit properly into the KRG whiskey chassis? Any info would be much appreciated.

Re: KRG W3C chassis, how to fit an AI .223 mag?

I didn't think they needed modification?? What is different between the 223 and the 308 mags other than being polymer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't think they needed modification?? What is different between the 223 and the 308 mags other than being polymer? </div></div>

The dimensions apparently I have an AI .308 mag that pops in and out of the chassis like butter, but the AI .223 mag will not seat properly. It looks like there is more meat on the polymer magazine which is causing the issue....

You have to trim the plastic mags. This is for any stock or chassis. The mag just doesn't fit into the action. We're working on a short tutorial. We've got some pics so we'll try to get it posted up tonight or tomorrow.
Justin

Thanks Justin, love the chassis!

A "better", cleaner way is to have the bottom of the action opened up a bit. It does not take much. I did this with my .223 Tikka and Roedale Precision bottom metal.

Take care,Stan

I found a picture of my Tikka T3 Lite in .223 setup for AICS mags. You can see where we removed a bit of metal so the mag will seat properly. Hope this helps.

Take care,Stan

Huh, my polymer 223 mags fit and function perfectly without any modification in my KRG and Remy 700.

I must be special!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh, my polymer 223 mags fit and function perfectly without any modification in my KRG and Remy 700.

I must be special! </div></div>

This only effects Tikka actions. Remmy actions are wider and the mags fit just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh, my polymer 223 mags fit and function perfectly without any modification in my KRG and Remy 700.

I have a Tikka so yea it's a different situation. Thanks Stan for the photos and tips, but I would rather mod the cheap AI magazine verse the expensive chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeeprider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh, my polymer 223 mags fit and function perfectly without any modification in my KRG and Remy 700.

I have a Tikka so yea it's a different situation. Thanks Stan for the photos and tips, but I would rather mod the cheap AI magazine verse the expensive chassis. </div></div>

I did NOT mod the chassis. As I stated in my first response, I moded the bottom of the TIKKA ACTION. My .223 uses Roedale Precision bottom metal and is not in a KRG chassis. Just the factory stock (it is my coyote hunting rifle).

I guess I am the kind of person who does not like half-ass bubba type things when it comes to most things in my life. Taking a Dremal or file to the feed lips of the mags work, but it looks like crap and it really is not "right" IMHO. Either way will work...do whats best for you.

Take care,Stan

No problem. If I remember correctly we only removed 30 thou per side so it is not much material being removed. And if you look at the pic I posted it is only for about 2/3 of the bottom of the action.

Once you use the AI mags and solid bottom metal, I would not ever see anyone willing going back to the factory parts.

Take care

I agree that if you have access to a mill or good machinist that milling the action is the way to go. It does open two potential issues, resale and rust. If you are not concerned about those or can mitigate them then it is a good way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree that if you have access to a mill or good machinist that milling the action is the way to go. It does open two potential issues, resale and rust. If you are not concerned about those or can mitigate them then it is a good way to go.
</div></div>

I don't have access to a mill sadly and I would rather just mod the $35 AI mag. Just waiting on your How to Instructions.
wink.gif

Sigh....ok...I can't really wrap my mind around your way of thinking. I mean you are spending a $900+ on a chassis but you are unwilling to take your barreled action to a gunsmith and pay $40 to have it done correctly? If you do not have one close to you, you can send it to us (Chipley Arms) and we can do it. 1 day turn around.

But....if you insist. Here is your hack and grind way of doing it...pretty simple. Just start removing material from the outside edges of the feed lips until you can seat the mag. Here is a picture of where you need to remove material from:

Also...you will probably have to take the edge off the mag catch. The one on the chassis I have is pretty sharp. I had to do the same thing with my .223 as it was chewing up the plastic AI mag. I used a stone to just smooth it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sigh....ok...I can't really wrap my mind around your way of thinking. I mean you are spending a $900+ on a chassis but you are unwilling to take your barreled action to a gunsmith and pay $40 to have it done correctly? If you do not have one close to you, you can send it to us (Chipley Arms) and we can do it. 1 day turn around.

But....if you insist. Here is your hack and grind way of doing it...pretty simple. Just start removing material from the outside edges of the feed lips until you can seat the mag. Here is a picture of where you need to remove material from:

Also...you will probably have to take the edge off the mag catch. The one on the chassis I have is pretty sharp. I had to do the same thing with my .223 as it was chewing up the plastic AI mag. I used a stone to just smooth it out.

</div></div>

Thanks and I appreciate the info. Not really understanding why this mod rubs you the wrong way so much, but okay
grin.gif
When I purchased the KRG W3C chassis and I asked KRG if it would work with my Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 I was told yes and all I would need to do is slightly mod the AI .223 magazine to fit properly. Nothing was ever mentioned about milling and opening up my action. This is the first time I have heard anything about it. So yea I guess I'm a "Bubba" for not wanting to mess with my expensive precision action verse filing a cheap plastic magazine. Call me crazy... Again thanks for the tutorial.

To reiterate, on a T3 mags will need to be modified regardless of what stock you use unless you open up the action.

Disclaimer: This is how we did it, it's not the only way, it may not be the best way

Guidelines (not hard rules)some trial and error will be necessary:

Step 1: Take .050" off top of feed lips

IMG_2977mod.jpg

Step 2: Make sides of feed lips look like this (cut in and down)-

IMG_2979mod.jpg

Step 3: Add 45 degree chamfer to corner of feedlips like this-

IMG_2981mod.jpg