• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Krylon vs. duracoat

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a 5R that I want to paint matte black...I have never duracoated anything before but I have kryloned a bunch of stuff. Is the extra effort and expense of duracoat really worth it compared to the krylon? Is the finish that more durable?

Re: Krylon vs. duracoat

If the metal surface is not prepped properly (120 grit Aluminum Oxide blast), the Ceracoat will chip off just as fast as any other finish without a properly prepped base. Ceracoat is "pickier" than other finishes and is harder to apply unless everything is good.

Duracoat I have applied on surfaces sanded with 400 grit paper and steel wool and turned out fine, albeit not as good as another project that was aluminum oxide blasted. Either way it will be better than Krylon, but you must pay attention to close fitting parts as Duracoat goes on thick.

If you have limited means of prepping the surface right, go Alumihide II (degrease, heat part, then spray), or stick with Krylon and reapply as needed.

The plus side to Krylon is if you change you mind down the road on the color or pattern. It is easy to remove and start over

duracoat does go on somewhat thick, but still much less than krylon. none of them are "scratch proof" everything will scratch if you're rough enough with it. all of them are essentially paint, so know the limitations and any should work fine. I haven't used alumahyde yet, but I would think it goes on thicker since it comes out of an aerosol can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you have limited means of prepping the surface right, go Alumihide II (degrease, heat part, then spray), or stick with Krylon and reapply as needed.
</div></div>
That's what I (as a hobbyist tinkerer) do and have had excellent results. The only AHII I've had that I wasn't 100% happy with was when I failed to preheat the metal. I got it warm, but if I can get 130*+ when coating it rivals my professionally finished firearms.

I just wait for summer and let stuff sit in the AZ sun for an hour or so-when its too hot to handle its time to paint!

AZ sun or heat gun both work pretty well.
laugh.gif

I used Aluma-HydeII on my Stainless 40X and it's tough as nails. I wasn't able to heat the barrel much because I only had my wife's blow-dryer (SHHH... She doesn't know) and the barrel is extremely heavy. Only prep was de-greasing with Automotive Brake Parts cleaner. After each light coat I'd hit it with the blow-dryer. Then I didn't touch it for a week. I'm happy with it.