• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KS ARMS SAR 3LUG

zaprosper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
Has anybody used the KS ARMS SAR action, or have any experience with it? It looks like a well made 3 lug action, but I haven't heard too much about them. I do know that they are used by some F- Class and precision rifle shooters in Canada. The Ultimatum deadline seems to have taken off quite well within North America and I'm curious if there is a reason that the KS SAR hasn't.
Here is a link to the website.

I’d really like to give one a try. I’d like my next action to be an Ultimatum or KS Arms. Not sure yet which way I’d go.

I’d really like to give one a try. I’d like my next action to be an Ultimatum or KS Arms. Not sure yet which way I’d go.
Well I have a deadline ordered, you order up a SAR and we will meet up and see which one is better;).I ordered up my deadline without giving the SAR a serious look and I heard great things about it today from someone I know that shoots competitively. They both seem to have advantages and disadvantages. The SAR seems more drop in ready, while the deadline has more integrated features.

Reactions: Chargerguy
I have a deadline and its broken in very nice. I asked my smith about it and he said he had problems with his when he ran one in prs (ks arms 3 lug action).

Good to know. KS arms did come out with a 2nd gen in 2019. Would he have had the 1st gen or the 2nd gen?

Saw one of these at the range the other day and it looked nice and the owner was very happy with it. Next barrel I need is going to be a ks cut rifled.

Saw one of these at the range the other day and it looked nice and the owner was very happy with it. Next barrel I need is going to be a ks cut rifled.
I have a Curtis Vector being built right now with a KS Arms barrel. Excited to see how it shoots.

I'll likely give there barrels a go as well when my action comes in. Have found almost all Canadian made parts except for the magazine. Have yet to find an AW magazine.

I'll likely give there barrels a go as well when my action comes in. Have found almost all Canadian made parts except for the magazine. Have yet to find an AW magazine.
To bad MDT only makes AICS mags. I wish I could do an all Canadian build but a TT scope it out of my price range :cry:

Reactions: MDT_Josh
To bad MDT only makes AICS mags. I wish I could do an all Canadian build but a TT scope it out of my price range :cry:
I guess I should clarify that I likely won't start off with a TT on it. Tough to justify that much for a TT when that would be a decent chunk of down payment for a house in the next bit.
Maybe @MDT_Josh will tell us AW magazines are in the works?

I've been running the long action version (KS Arms LAR) for a couple years. At the time, it was between the KS Arms action and the ultimatum, went with the ks Arms and glad i did. Super smooth, never a hick-up... You won't be disappointed with their actions.

anyone have any experience with their Barrels? I'm interesting in trying one of them

I'll probably be ordering one or two pretty soon here as well. Heard good things about them

Same thats why I'm very interested. I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Been running KS Arms both actions and barrels for a few years now over in Sweden. I think I'm well into 6-7 barrels and currently got 2 PRS rifles and a hunting rig from them.

Currently running the latest 3-lug for matches in an MDT ACC R700SA, works perfect with AW mags (and HRD kits since I run Dasher).

Be happy to answer any questions about them.

_DSC1892.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of groups are you getting? And whats your load procedure?

The same as any Bartlein or Krieger I've run prior I'd say. Had barrels in 6 Dasher, 6 XC, 223, 6.5 SLR and .308 from KS blanks, some chambered at KS and some locally. I could probably dig up some pictures if you'd like but it all shot well enough to win the Scandinavian PRS series and be in the lead for the current season.

I dont know how detailed you'd like the load procedure, but pretty much season the barrel with some practice/fireforming for 1-150 rds and then go OCW and look at grouping/POI/speed. For the Dasher it's been more a question about picking what speed you want to go and shoot.

Reactions: Tokay444 and 65rpr
I'd love if you can share some pics. I just ordered my first KS arms barrel.

I'd love if you can share some pics. I just ordered my first KS arms barrel.

I shoot the KS Arms SAR as well in an MPA chassis 6 Dasher
works flawlessly with MDT mags and AW mags with the HRD kit

These are my two of my load develop loads 31.8gr and 32.0gr of varget. The load I use I split the difference ~150 rds on the barrel

This is what I shot before my last match last weekend ~1300 rds on the barrel using the previous load and split the difference 31.9gr of varget

I'll get more pictures of my rifles
I have a KS arms SAR in 6 Dasher, KS arms wolverine in 6.5 CM and a KS arms wolverine LA in 284win.

Very impressive. Thats some good shooting friend.

This was prior to my last 2 day match. 10 consecutive shots in two 5 round groups, yes I pulled one.

Gen1 3-lug action, KS barrel and chambered by Karl at KS. Shot at 100m.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_163314.jpg
    IMG_20200329_163314.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200329_170146.jpg
    IMG_20200329_170146.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Tokay444
First picture my best 3 round group to date, I didnt dare shoot more. KS Gen3 3-lug, KS barrel etc.
Second picture my best 500m group to date, 5 rounds. KS Gen3 3-lug, KS barrel etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_151627.jpg
    IMG_20190821_151627.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20200125_115245.jpg
    IMG_20200125_115245.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Tokay444
very nice shooting. I feel very confident about this ks arms now. 10 shot string and still sub 1/4 seems like hot barrel dont walk.

I shoot the KS Arms SAR as well in an MPA chassis 6 Dasher
works flawlessly with MDT mags and AW mags with the HRD kit

These are my two of my load develop loads 31.8gr and 32.0gr of varget. The load I use I split the difference ~150 rds on the barrel

This is what I shot before my last match last weekend ~1300 rds on the barrel using the previous load and split the difference 31.9gr of varget

I'll get more pictures of my rifles
I have a KS arms SAR in 6 Dasher, KS arms wolverine in 6.5 CM and a KS arms wolverine LA in 284win.

Thanks for your feedback. Now starting to think my wife's next build will need to be a KS arms action

Been running KS Arms both actions and barrels for a few years now over in Sweden. I think I'm well into 6-7 barrels and currently got 2 PRS rifles and a hunting rig from them.

Currently running the latest 3-lug for matches in an MDT ACC R700SA, works perfect with AW mags (and HRD kits since I run Dasher).

Be happy to answer any questions about them.

View attachment 7384794
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like Canadian companies sell a lot of product overseas to Europe. I know that IBI barrels sells a fair amount, as well as a couple of other barrel makers. Is it because the import fees are more reasonable coming from Canada? Have you used a fair amount of other actions and if so, how does it compare?

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like Canadian companies sell a lot of product overseas to Europe. I know that IBI barrels sells a fair amount, as well as a couple of other barrel makers. Is it because the import fees are more reasonable coming from Canada? Have you used a fair amount of other actions and if so, how does it compare?

ITAR is a huge hurdle when it comes to cost and amount of work needed for an export here, comparing to paperwork from Canada that is a few minutes of work on the customer end of things so that plays a big part.

I've been over shooting a few 2-days both in the US and Canada and had hands on most actions available to some extent. I'd say they stand up well to the competition. It's a smaller company with pretty much everything done in-house so a lot of attention to detail. Pretty much all the desired features of a modern action, integral recoil lug, side bolt release, AW compatible, etc and pre-fit barrels possible so uniform production with good tolerances.

I had a chance to visit them when over in Canada shooting a match so I got to see the whole production and help make my own barrel which was awesome.

That must have felt nice to make your own barrel. Thanks for the feedback.

My LRKM in 338 Edge is in the process of getting it's second barrel from KS Arms.
Built a 33XC with KS action and barrel.
Also have two 6.5wsm with KS LAR action and barrel, one hunting one target.
Their actions are solid and smooth, I love the short bolt lift and they all shoot lights out.
I want a SAR in 22-250 AI but just rebuilt my house and im short on cash......

I own 1 ks barrel in 25 creed! Barrel has been super easy to clean, broke in fast, doesn’t seem to walk when ran hard and hot, easy to load for. Average groups are .4-.6 at 100 during load development but at distance they seemed to do better. Was able to shoot much better then that but I’d say that was about average. It was super easy to get to shoot well. Never had any group larger then 3/4 moa I don’t recall! I believe that is more of the bullet then barrel as ive seen many say that about the blackjacks shooting better at distance then at 100. It seems to shoot in the .3’s-4’s out to 750 the furthest I’ve taken it. Will order another for a 6bra build and would assume it to shoot slightly better just based on caliber alone.

Also have there latest gen 3 lug sar action on its way for a 20 tactical build. Hoping it should be here in another 2 weeks and build should be assembled in another 3 weeks past that. Will be testing them against defiance, zermatt, terminus, Curtis, kelbly and stiller. Very excited to try there action! Been a long time debating

4E05F3DF-076E-486D-976A-BA1668BB7352.jpeg
EEEDEC2A-3AC5-4B2E-9CDE-2AF8F3506566.jpeg
9C54613B-E852-4D15-A668-49A27D7C1377.png
7BA1E7E2-56A2-44FC-A44E-45EC1EEE3AAA.png
542A14C0-CDC4-4947-900F-674C77AF6ED2.png
2BF89B37-EB34-48AB-8AA3-B5E8B4CC43DD.jpeg

I own 1 ks barrel in 25 creed! Barrel has been super easy to clean, broke in fast, doesn’t seem to walk when ran hard and hot, easy to load for. Average groups are .4-.6 at 100 during load development but at distance they seemed to do better. Was able to shoot much better then that but I’d say that was about average. It was super easy to get to shoot well. Never had any group larger then 3/4 moa I don’t recall! I believe that is more of the bullet then barrel as ive seen many say that about the blackjacks shooting better at distance then at 100. It seems to shoot in the .3’s-4’s out to 750 the furthest I’ve taken it. Will order another for a 6bra build and would assume it to shoot slightly better just based on caliber alone.

Also have there latest gen 3 lug sar action on its way for a 20 tactical build. Hoping it should be here in another 2 weeks and build should be assembled in another 3 weeks past that. Will be testing them against defiance, zermatt, terminus, Curtis, kelbly and stiller. Very excited to try there action! Been a long time debating

View attachment 7552141View attachment 7552143View attachment 7552144View attachment 7552147View attachment 7552148View attachment 7552149

Very nice groups at that distance! Are you using Peterson brass?

Reactions: Matt_3479
Very nice groups at that distance! Are you using Peterson brass?

That is alpha brass. I would have to check my load but If I recall it’s 41.4gr’s of rl-16, alpha srp brass, cci 450, and 131 blackjacks. Barrel is a ks 1:7 twist 25 cal medium Palma. Been extremely pleased with the barrel. Ordered another in 20 cal to go with the ks sar action. Eveehthing is at the smith. Would of had ks do the chambering but they didn’t have the reamer

Reactions: NamibHunter
Mark and Sam After Work just did a video with a 28 Nosler in a K.S. Arms action. He likes it.
This is a 5 shot load development group at 200 yards with only 45 shots on my K.S. Arms gain twist 6BR barrel on my Nucleus. Shanked the 5th one pretty good.
I let a friend who’s more of a dangerous game hunter than a precision rifle shooter shoot a few at 200 as well. 2 on one and 1 on the other. He held in the box rather than the diamond. When we collected the target he said to me, “that is without a doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. You’ve build yourself something very special there.” He’s in his 60s and been shooting all his life in the Australian outback. Lives in Canada now and goes on dangerous game hunts in Africa. We had just finished sighting in his custom Mauser in 404 Jeffery.
Now we’re coming up on 1.5 years since it was 2 weeks to flatten the curve, we’re in our third draconian lockdown, and all the ranges are closed. Barrel has a 100 rounds on it, and is now screwed onto an Archimedes action that hasn’t been fired yet.
Buy with confidence.

FBB71431-3757-49F2-868D-8CAA1C9F2789.jpeg

5984F0C6-9742-4687-8013-08E04390CEC7.jpeg

B8446C33-052A-4C85-9E96-C7B8765B9268.jpeg

2C31C716-7991-45CB-B3B3-CEB19C8862B4.jpeg

6D8CD908-6F33-4803-906D-00D70A98EA16.jpeg

13817002-900A-4826-96C5-217FEDECF002.jpeg

I haven’t shot one but I felt a bunch of actions at a match this last weekend and it is by far the best feeling 3 lug out there and possibly the best feeling action i have ever felt. Even better than my defiance. With a tt diamond the bolt just dropped with no resistance. I will be getting an action, a couple bolts and a few barrels from them next season.

I haven’t shot one but I felt a bunch of actions at a match this last weekend and it is by far the best feeling 3 lug out there and possibly the best feeling action i have ever felt. Even better than my defiance. With a tt diamond the bolt just dropped with no resistance. I will be getting an action, a couple bolts and a few barrels from them next season.

Reactions: Matt_3479

My action came in, and after barrel break in, plus 25 rounds and a few hundred dry fires it is becoming one of my favourites! By far one of if not the nicest 3 lug I’ve ever felt. I have 7 different custom actions and this one is incredible and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Actually debating on selling 1
Or 2 and buying more of these at the moment