• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Lake City M118 primers

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    Good evening. I come before the enlightened masses seeking wisdom. Can any of you fine folks tell me what primer Is (or was) used in the standard, run of the mill Lake City M118 rd, from 2005-2015. The reason I picked these years is because I have a load that I like that utilized military pull-down brass from those years. It had never been fired, and still had the as-issued primers in place.
    I have since ran out of said pull-down brass, and would very much like to replicate the round, but have no idea what primer to use. I have "heard" that a military version of the fed gmm primer was used, I've also heard CCI 34's, but that doesn't seem right just because of the color. 34's are nickel plated, the military is gold. HELP! I'm ready to build piles of this stuff, but I'm stuck.
    BTW, Il like this round because out of my 24" LR-308, I can ring steel out to 1100 yards, and it doesn't beat up my gun or my brass. In case any one is interested, here is my recipe: Hornady 178gr a-max (now discontinued), 41.5 grs of Imr-4064, new (pulled-down) Lake City M118 brass, with as-supplied primers. 2575 fps.

I apologize. I used the wrong military designation for the round in my previous post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the M80 rd is the std. issue 7.62 rd, and the M118 is the long range sniper rd. I am interested in identifying the primer in the M80. Not even sure if the primers in the 2 rds (M80 & M118) are different.