• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lanolin for DIY case lube

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    So... I've been using the "6.5 Guys" diy case lube recipe - pure lanolin mixed 10 or 12 to 1 with alcohol in a spray bottle. Love the stuff.

Lately, I've been 'catching up' on some of my brass processing chores that I'd been putting off for a while now... and I've managed to use up most of my current bottle of spray. Still have lots left in the jug of 99% alcohol on the shelf, but all out of lanolin. Apparently I used up the last of the bottle I had when I mixed the last batch of spray, and like an idgit I didn't order more *then*.

Fast forward to *now*... and the stuff I ordered before is apparently unobtanium. Like 3+ weeks out when I ordered it, and I recently got a notification that they're having difficulty filling the order at all. Lovely.

I figured that "100% pure liquid lanolin" can't be that friggin' hard to find on the Interweb these days, not with Amazon and all... but so far I'm not having a lot of luck. Most results are not pure liquid lanolin, rather some foo-foo beauty product with unknown additives that I really don't want to add to the mix when sizing brass. I just need it to not stick in the die, not smell purdy ;)

Anybody ordered any of this stuff *recently*, and know of some place that has it *in stock*? Or some sort of acceptable substitute for the mix?

This may or may not help, but something is flickering in the back of my brain regarding Strykervet and lanolin. IIRC, he does/has make a product along this line.

Just trying to assist the assist,,,, (Hockey term)

In a pinch, try your local farm/feed store. Bag balm, udder balm, or whatever they have. Comes in a squeeze tube $5 or less.

Thins with alcohol. Way to apply it is like normal, if you roll your brass on the polypropylene pad thing, or put it on your hands and grab a handful of brass. Or dilute & spray.

So... I've been using the "6.5 Guys" diy case lube recipe - pure lanolin mixed 10 or 12 to 1 with alcohol in a spray bottle. Love the stuff.

Lately, I've been 'catching up' on some of my brass processing chores that I'd been putting off for a while now... and I've managed to use up most of my current bottle of spray. Still have lots left in the jug of 99% alcohol on the shelf, but all out of lanolin. Apparently I used up the last of the bottle I had when I mixed the last batch of spray, and like an idgit I didn't order more *then*.

Fast forward to *now*... and the stuff I ordered before is apparently unobtanium. Like 3+ weeks out when I ordered it, and I recently got a notification that they're having difficulty filling the order at all. Lovely.

I figured that "100% pure liquid lanolin" can't be that friggin' hard to find on the Interweb these days, not with Amazon and all... but so far I'm not having a lot of luck. Most results are not pure liquid lanolin, rather some foo-foo beauty product with unknown additives that I really don't want to add to the mix when sizing brass. I just need it to not stick in the die, not smell purdy ;)

Anybody ordered any of this stuff *recently*, and know of some place that has it *in stock*? Or some sort of acceptable substitute for the mix?

Here is another option.

Reactions: memilanuk
    I think I have a bottle from the same outfit. No additives. Anyhow, a little goes a long ways and I'd be happy to package up a couple ounces to tide you over. If that quantity works for you, PM me your address and I'll ship it asap.

Reactions: memilanuk
    I bought from these guys a week back. We had some leftover 99% alcohol at work from when we did DIY hand sanitizer earlier in the year.

Haven't sized any cases but it mixed up well and appears to be the right stuff. They shipped the next day.

1 to 12 ratio is a pretty rich mix. That just means you use fewer pumps/sprays. I use a zip-loc bag and work the brass around to get everything coated.

I have duplicated Dillon's ratio and find it to be 1/14 or 1/16. It is no better, it just takes a few more pumps of spray to adequately cover the same amount of brass.

Just my experience.

FYI, before this bullshit pandemic came around I was using 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol to make case lube. During the pandemic I could not
    acquire any more so I tried 190 proof grain alcohol.

The lanolin would not mix properly with the 190 proof grain alcohol so I used it for hand sanitizer.
    Best hand sanitizer I have ever used, LOL.......

I couldn't get 99% alcohol around where I live. I found the RED "Heet" gas tank additive you find at the auto supply stores is 99% ISO. It mixed well and works. Do NOT use the YELLOW"Heet", it is methyl alcohol, doesn't mix well.

Reactions: SoCalRayJr