• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua .308 brass problems?

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I'm looking through my 2 new 100rd cases of Lapua .308 brass and every primer hole has a burr in it. I'm guessing that this isn't normal? Should I bitch or just clean em' out? I've never had any Lapua brass before but so far I'm not overly impressed. Also the case mouths are a little rough and I think need chamfering..
frown.gif

Anyone get these small problems?

-X

Re: Lapua .308 brass problems?

I'd call

i'm waitin for mine, where did yours come from?

Wondering if it's just a bad batch. Have been reading alot of bad Lapua brass lately. I use 308 and 338 LM brass (I bought mine about 1 year ago) and never needed to do anything except to prime them, charge powder, seat bullets and shoot the hell out of them. My first 100 cases, I even full-sized them, but after a while, I just load them and shoot them without even doing anything to them (virgin brass) that is.

Mine came from Cabelas. I'm considering buying another couple hundred but not if the quality is going down hill. I can live with cleaning the burrs I think but I was curious if this was typical of Lapua brass. I may go ahead and call too..

-X

Shot them an email since all of the numbers are in Finland.

-X

I got mine through ED Brown and Bruno. Again, I got them over a year ago so I am just wondering if it is just a bad batch. Please keep us posted with their answer. I am curious to see the answer will be.

Normal, clean it out. Sinclair/RCBS/K&M sell a tool for that specific purpose. Or get a good 1/4 drill bit and <span style="font-weight: bold">twisting by hand</span> just touch the flash-hole and remove the burr.

I went ahead and cleaned them all out and found one interesting case. I'll post up a pic in a bit.

Lapua hasn't said a word yet. I'm starting to think they don't care..

-X

All the Lapua brass Ive bought lately has not needed to be deburred. It seems like they punch the flash hole instead of drilling it, leaving no burrs. Since it was OOS for so long I wonder if they cut corners to fill orders. But that is not typical of Lapua in my experiences.

Not typical of Lapua at all. you shouldn't have to clean up burrs on flash holes for cases that run upwards of 60 bucks/100. I have tons of it, albiet from some time back and have never had to do that to any of the cases. I used to do some fo the primer pocket uniforming but got away from that a long time ago because it was not needed. RG

I bought 500 new brass here on the hide.

UNIMPRESSED!! to say the least. Brand new brass and I have inconsistant neck tension from peice to peice as well as inconsistant primer pockets. Some seat with "enough" tension and some seat with a lot of tension, hell some will hardly seat at all.

I figure I will shoot all of this and go back to LC Match, which by the way, I never had these problems with it. Winchester has shown to be much more consistant as well.

Live and learn I guess. You don't always get a better product when you pay extra for the name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UNIMPRESSED!! </div></div>

+1

Just bought 200 of the 243 brass. BIG ass burr on the inside of the flash hole. Now I have to buy a deburing tool. Was too disapointed to primer and load them, so i cant say anything about the fit of the primers or neck tension.

I think ill stick to Winchester for my 243 needs. YMMV

Julian

I haven't really inspected the 200+ I bought here from someone. I'll probably stick with weight sorted LC Match as well.

One of the "Features" of Lapua brass is that the flash-hole is drilled not punched.

If you have a burr they were probably drilled with a blunt tool. Just clean them up, but don't chamfer them.. I read somewhere that its detrimental.

I know it's a pain but it shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds per case and it will be worth it in the end.

RJ

Thats fine for a burr, but what about crappy consistancy for the whole case. I paid out the ass for "perfect" brass and got sub remington quality crap.

If you paid good money for new Lupua brass, call the distributor or call Lupua. They'll probably send you a new one.

I once had a bad batch of Lupua brass. It lasted me 4 firings and it cracked. The load was very mild too.

Nosler replaced a box of brass for me too, since it was missing a few pieces of brass.

Shit happens, no manufacturer is always perfect.

I've not gotten any Lapua brass in the last year but I'm very hard pressed to believe Lapua would ever be "...sub remington quality crap".
I've yet to see any Remington brass take pressure as well as Lapua. Granted, I've never had any of the Remington 308 BR brass to try.

Win brass is undersized, 0.462 @ 0.200" above case head face. Gives you a bulge on one side of case when fired in a Rem 700 due to ejector pushing one side of case against chamber wall. Not as noticable on FN SPR with mechanical ejector.

RP isn't bad but is nowhere close to Lapua for taking pressure.

LC Match, great stuff if you can get it as is LC LR and IMI Match brass.

Lapua may have slipped that much since my last 1K piece purchase of 308 brass but hard for me to believe it has fallen to RP crap level.

What primer?

Federal Primer.

I'm not talking about the ability to take pressure, I am talking about the consistancy of the brass. There is none.

Winchester has been far better. I don't like Remington brass for other reason.

I have plenty of LC Match. Just wanted to try the Lapua because I heard how little to no prep it took. Not the case with the 500 I got.

I'd call Lapua distributor or e-mail Lapua directly. I've never seen Lapua brass with the issues you have/see. Clearly, something is amiss. Phone call / e-mail is "cheap" and gives them a chance to step up to the plate and make it right.

I don't if its normal but my new lupa measured between 2.004 and 2.009 OAL. All of my new Nosler measured 2.000, good quality control.

Three hundred cases of each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have not heard anything back from the Email that I sent them.

</div></div>

Me neither.

-X

Don't email... call. I rarely get anywhere with any company via email.

FWIW my only two batches of Lapua .308 brass (500 each) have been stellar. Extremely consistent... no need to weight sort (well especially for a tactical rifle) didn't have to trim until the 6th reloading. Primer pockets are great, necks are great. Only issue is 20 or so pieces with excessive web expansion. But I blame my 700Ps crappy chamber more than the brass.

Give them a call. A person can't hide from you nearly as easily on the phone.
wink.gif

I've been shooting Lapua brass for the best part of 10 years without any of the issues described above. I have a lot of that brass.

As a suggestion, it helps to full-size all new cases, no matter the manufacturer.

Call Kaltron Pettibone, That is the importer to USA for all Lapua brass. I have shot, loaded and handled many thousands of cases and have yet to have any of these problems. I am certain they will make it right.
Spelling of name could be off but close.
RTH

I've had good luck with Lapua Brass and will continue to use it. I did have some issues with some 6.5x55 and Kevin Thomas took care of it promptly for me. Actually he went above and beyond what I thought was called for in terms of helping me out. Get hold of the U.S. Distributor I am pretty sure you'll be happy with the results.

I have not had any problems with Lapua brass so far but I do clean the flash channels and deburr the flas channel and stnadardize the primer holes with Sinclair tools. I do it once for the life of the brass and do not worry about it afterwards. I pay less for the Lapua 308 Win brass than what I would have to pay for anu US or Israeli made brass. 338LM brass is expensive here too but lasts 10-15 reloadings easy.

Two weeks ago I shot with my 338LM and got and STD of 7 fps for 5 rounds. THis out of a rilfe that had been shot for more than 50 rounds without any cleaning in between. The reload was twice rloaded 338LM Lapua brass, bullets 250 Scenars and a weighted 88,0 greins of VV N560 and Fed 215. I got my first round hit out to 1400m with the same elevation I used two years ago with the same load in the same place. Environmental factors were very similar too. Reload was the same two years ago.

Anyway Lapua has been pushing stuff out to the world in three shifts for a long time. They might have had a bad batch. Factories tend to srew up sometimes. In Finland we see their success as shortages in reloading components and yearly +10-20% price increases. Soon it will be cheaper for me to shoot imported Berger bullets than Scenars.

I just started using Lapua 308 brass and will never look back. It's the best brass I've ever had. Regular shooters at the club also swear by it.

I am stil on the first lot of brass with about 15 firings and never seen anything wrong.

All 300 cases weighed in within a grain, no burrs or abnormalities.

These are all old box.

However I got looking at some new ones in the new boxes stashed away and what do you know , FLASH HOLE BURRS!

LOT # P00460201

Perhaps a revistiting of cost/gain will be in order when the batches crap out.

That maybe awhile though.

+1 on ALWAYS sizing virgin brass. My lapua brass has been top grade, yet I still dont trust a neck size after it has been bounching around in a box of 100 other cases for who knows how long.

I dont care who makes it, you need to at least neck size it with the inside mandrel in the die.

Winchester may have nicer neck tension out of the bag, but I guarantee if you compare case weight consistency between the two there is no comparison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ifrarrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started using Lapua 308 brass and will never look back. It's the best brass I've ever had. Regular shooters at the club also swear by it. </div></div>

Same here, I bought 400 cases from Black Hills Shooters Supply in the last 6 months and have not had any of the posted problems.

I deburr if only to uniform and chamfer the flash hole and full length resize/chamfer the mouth on every new case anyway. I have used nothing but Lapua brass for several years. Lasts longer...more uniform in weight and size.....good stuff. Maybe you have a bad run of it??

To the OP, quit crying and deburr the flash hole. You only have to do it once and it will take maybe 20 minutes. You expect perfect neck tension from an unsized case??? Uh, try neck sizing them and then loading. Lapua brass is miles better than any other brass I've tried.

I shoot Lapua brass in my 308, 243, and 22-250. The only problem I have had is when I got several hundred from Cabela's on my last order, they came in the old paper cartons, and someone had helped themselves to a couple pieces out of each box. No such problems with the new plastic boxes. My 308 cases all have 10+ loads, and are still going strong. I always uniform the flash pocket, so I honestly can't say if they were burred or not.

I've been a bit disappointed with mine. I got 500 pieces of 308 from E.A.Brown about 2 yrs ago. I've been loading 175 SMK with 44.4gr Varget, BR2 primer, getting about 2760fps from a 25" Bartlein 5R barrel seated at 2.815". My trouble has been ejector marks on the case head. I read many people here are running the same combo with 44-45gr Varget without any pressure signs. I also had to take of a tiny burr on the inside of the flash hole. My cases weighed anywhere from 171.5gr to 173.5gr for all 500 cases. I'm now trying to re-work-up a load that is not as stout, but the accuracy just isn't there.