• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report LAPUA 6.5 X 55

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Thinking of chambering a rifle in this. Dont know much about them. Primers (large or small) barrel life, etc.. I have a couple of 260s. Looking for something new. Anybody have some first hand knowledge. Thanks

Re: LAPUA 6.5 X 55

Wonderful cartridge that in a modern bolt action can exceed 260 ballistics.
Large rifle primers and barrel life is forever.Powders like 4350, W760 and 4831 work well. Lapua brass is excellent but pricey. Remington also makes brass that works fine. The 6.5 has a slightly larger rim than a 260 but most 06/308 bolts will handle it w/o modifications. If possible use a long action and get it throated for long VLDs. My circa 1935 Sedgley Springfield sporter was throated for the 160 gr roundnose that was the hunting bullet back in the day. It shoots the long Berger VLDs in one hole and will also shoot the 120 Barnes TSX under one MOA. The TSX is a deadly hunting bullet and has killed several Antelope in both the 260 & 6.5x55. If you don't want to build one both CZ and Tikka make excellent rifles in 6.5x55. Good shooting!

Mr Humble gave you good info I'm running RL22 in mine with 140's. You definitely want an action that will let run an OAL of 3.1 or longer. 2 out of three Remington bolts needed the bolt face opened slightly to run Lapua brass the tang safety Ruger hunting rifle didn't. I haven't tried the VV N560 powder, but others are reporting good velocity with it. The Rem. brass I have mikes about .292 or so on a loaded round and the Lapua brass I have is about .298. I think standard chamber neck dimension is about .300, but don't quote me on that. I have a Henriksen reamer for Lapua brass throated for the 139 Scenar with a .296 neck if you're interested.

sounds like a long action would suit 55 better than a Short action. How many rounds do you think the barrel will handle?

I would say that if you plan on running through the magazine then yes the LA is the way to go. Barrel life I can't answer yet I am at about 1000 rounds through my oldest gun and it is still going strong. Everything I've been able to find on it says 2000-2500 should be reachable and maybe a little more. This barrels been hot a couple of times shooting prairie dogs so we'll see. I have a slightly less then MOA plate at 800 yds I'll let you know how many times I can hit it in a row after this weekend.

I have a Tikka 695 (LA) competition rifle with a medium contour Palma barrel. I have over 1500 rounds through it and it still shoots 1/2 moa 10 shot groups with the Lapua 139 Scenar.

I started out using RL22 because that's what I used in my Swede Mausers. Velocity was in the 2800+ range. The VV N560 also works extremely well.

I recently tried, and switched over to RL17. Getting 2950-2990 fps and no pressure issues, no sticky bolts, and even better accuracy. Two lots of brass, one with 6 firings, one with 5. No problems so far.

The 6.5x55 is still the best option for the 6.5 family, nothing else has come along that can trump it, as far as barrel life/accuracy/powder consumption.

I have several 6.5x55 Swedes and can run a 120 Nosler BT, around 3100, and a 140 SMK around 2900-2950 without ruining brass, out a M77 Ruger.

Here is a forum conversation. Norma and Lapua make factory ammo that runs in excess of 2900fps. (expect a bolt in your eyebrow if you run this out of a M96)

http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-46428.html

the only reason I didnt go this way with my new build is the lack of an AICS mag in the intermediete length cartridges (30.06 family of sizes)

BTW, Lapua makes brass, but had nothing to do with the cartridge development. In 1891, it was designed by a Norwegian-Swedish committee. Them boys had their thinking caps on. I would imagine that the Swedes are using a 30cal these days, but it is the longest running military caliber ever.

I'll agree it is a top notch cartridge as far what you can do with it. It had all the potential way back then with the limited powders it had. The people who developed the round initially gave it a super tight twist to stabilize long bullets. That's carried the round into today's competitive world easily as the tight twist has always stabilized heavy for caliber bullets. Something US Ordnance people should have taken note of...but didn't for more than 100 years.

Anyhow, as Mr. Humble noted CZ makes one in their model 550. I have one and it is an outstanding rifle. Not to mention the set trigger is primo. It's set at about 1/2 lb. The trigger in normal condition is set at about 4 1/2 lb. You can adjust it how you like. If not shooting constantly with it, .750 MOA with good handloads is the norm. Factory typically runs much slower and around 1.5-2.0 MOA

I dont have any long actions. I only have short actions. I will need a long action by the way it sounds. This might be a later build for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have any long actions. I only have short actions. I will need a long action by the way it sounds. This might be a later build for me. </div></div>

Long action or a standard Mauser action. Even a short(Yugo, FN small ring) Mauser action will handle all the the extremely long/heavy loads. I'm talking 160 clear on up to the Wildcat 180's(special order-needs 1-6 or 6.5" twist{tight even by 6.5mm standards.})

I have owned several 6.5x55 Swedes. It is an excellent cartridge that shoots extremely well. I never shot out a barrel and my oldest rifle was a 1954 Olympic Match Rifle. Thousands of rounds down that barrel and it was still a tack driver.

That being said, if I already owned a .260 Remington (which I do), and I wanted something different, I would step up to 6.5x284 cartridge that Lapua (and others) are making brass for. Some call this the 6.5x284 <span style="text-decoration: underline">Norma</span>, some call it 6.5x284 <span style="text-decoration: underline">Winchester</span>. All the brass drawing dimensions that I have ever seen are identical either way.

Going from .260 Rem to 6.5x284 gives you a quantum leap in performance compared to just stepping up a little from .260 Rem to 6.5x55 Swede.

Either way, use as long a barrel as you can get away with. My 6.5 Swedes and 6.5x284 had 30 inch barrels on them. Pushing the big 142 SMK's using the slow magnum powders will give you supreme accuracy and barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some call this the 6.5x284 <span style="text-decoration: underline">Norma</span>, some call it 6.5x284 <span style="text-decoration: underline">Winchester</span>. All the brass drawing dimensions that I have ever seen are identical either way.

</div></div>

This is not true, there are dimensionl differances, though slight. The 6.5x284 Winchester was based of the original .284 case. The main differance is the throat on the 6.5x284 Norma Reamer is longer, allowing heavier bullets to be seater further out, for optimal case capacity/seating, mostly for long actions, so not to waste space in a short action for magazine feeding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Going from .260 Rem to 6.5x284 gives you a quantum leap in performance compared to just stepping up a little from .260 Rem to 6.5x55 Swede.

</div></div>

Hogwash. 6.5x55 Swede can and will eclipse both of those calibers. My 6.5x55 Ruger M77 shoots 140/142 SMKs at 2900fps, the same velocity that my 6.5x284 started expanding primer pockets, along with other pressure signs. You can buy Lapua or Norma 6.5x284 match ammo that reportedly clocks over 3000 fps. Thats the same/better as the 6.5x284. I have been there and done that, and its a lot of hype.

I am a huge fan of the 6.5x55, if you can not tell
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a huge fan of the 6.5x55, if you can not tell
grin.gif
</div></div>

As am I! But numbers are numbers and I would hate to see mis-information floating around, especially if I'm the source of that mis-information. Or, for that matter, if you're the source of the mis-information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some call this the 6.5x284 <span style="text-decoration: underline">Norma</span>, some call it 6.5x284 <span style="text-decoration: underline">Winchester</span>. All the brass drawing dimensions that I have ever seen are identical either way. </div></div>

This is not true, there are dimensionl differances, though slight. The 6.5x284 Winchester was based of the original .284 case. The main differance is the throat on the 6.5x284 Norma Reamer is longer.</div></div>

You are correct. I did find a reference that showed dimensional differences. Thanks for the correction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going from .260 Rem to 6.5x284 gives you a quantum leap in performance compared to just stepping up a little from .260 Rem to 6.5x55 Swede.</div></div>

Hogwash. 6.5x55 Swede can and will eclipse both of those calibers.</div></div>

No offense, but I have to throw the bullshit flag on this one. Why? I've owned 3 different 6.5x55 swedes. One Sako, one CZ and one Schultz and Larsen Olympic target rifle. Not one of those rifles could safely push 142 SMK's as fast as my 6.5x284. Side by side there was no comparison. That's my real world experience.

Now for the numbers,

The 6.5x55 Swede has a case capacity of 57.00 grains of water and a maximum psi rating of 55,114 psi.

The 6.5x284 has a case capacity of 66.00 grains of water and a maximum psi rating of 59,465 psi. Because the 6.5x284 has a higher pressure rating and has a larger case capacity, the muzzle velocity capable of the 6.5x284 can far exceed that of the 6.5x55 Swede.

Just for fun I ran the numbers in Quick Load. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">EVERY</span></span> powder comparison I used showed the muzzle velocity of the 6.5x55 Swede <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">lagging at least 100 fps behind</span></span> the muzzle velocity of the 6.5x284. Same barrel lengths, same bullets. Same consistant results: The 6.5 Swede can't keep up with the 6.5x284.

Unless, of course, Quick Load is wrong, my chrony is wrong, my experience is wrong, etc.

Personally, I recommend you check your 6.5x284 chamber if your primers are taking such a beating.

I remember reading somewhere....that RL19 is the closest production powder to what the Swedes used in their military loads for the 6.5x55. Not saying that isthe <span style="font-style: italic">best</span> choice, just one I remember as being closest to the original powder.

Ideally, the Swede functions best in a long action.

Although nominally a short action cartridge, the .260 really ends up at a longer accurate COAL than most short actions can feed effectively.

I have noted that American made Swede brass actually cheats a little with the cartridge base diameter, and I firmly believe it is made from the same basic cartridge blanks as the .30-'06, and .308 based cartridges. Rem 6.5x55 and .260 brass base diameters mic out identical for me.

I would say that if one has the .260 already, there's very little to be gained by adding a Swede to your personal lineup. They perform fairly similarly, and in the end, the minor variations can contribute to confusion and error.

Perhaps, for the .260 shooter, it can be a road best left untraveled. Perhaps a better alternative could be the 6.5CM, which does much the same, but reportedly feeds better from a true short action.

For the .260, LR loads can be made attractive using 139-142gr bullets, and powders like H4350, Ramshot Hunter, and N560. Loads not being required to go the full distance to 1Kyd, or 1Km, and be decently crafted from 120-129gr bullets and powders like H4350, Ramshot Big Game, and N550. I have put together some flat, devastating, and accurate loads using the minimum charge of H4350, 47.0gr and HDY 95gr V-Max. I stayed with the min charge because, quite honestly, it was plenty fast enough, accurate, and I didn't want to chance blowing up the bullets out of my 28" 1:8" barrel. Heck for all I know, 3500-3600fps might be possible and tolerable by the 95 V-Max which is reputedly one tough bullet.

My own experience with the Swede was brief but extremely satisfying, and if I wasn't already committed to the .260, i'd be hot on its trail.

Greg

The 6.5x55 Swede has a case capacity of 57.00 grains of water and a maximum psi rating of 55,114 psi.

The 6.5x284 has a case capacity of 66.00 grains of water and a maximum psi rating of 59,465 psi. Because the 6.5x284 has a higher pressure rating and has a larger case capacity, the muzzle velocity capable of the 6.5x284 can far exceed that of the 6.5x55 Swede.

Just for fun I ran the numbers in Quick Load. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">EVERY</span></span> powder comparison I used showed the muzzle velocity of the 6.5x55 Swede <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">lagging at least 100 fps behind</span></span> the muzzle velocity of the 6.5x284. Same barrel lengths, same bullets. Same consistant results: The 6.5 Swede can't keep up with the 6.5x284.
</div></div>

I absolutely can not personaly vouch for the chamber on my 6.5x284 (I never casted it or anything to check dimensions), as it was not built by a top notch builder, and the barrel I used was less than a top brand (Shaw). It shot lights out, was reamed by a 6.5x284 Norma reamer, with a .297 neck, fouled bad, was ugly inside, but shot good.

The PSI rating that you are quoting, I believe is the SAMMI pressures that are rated for 6.5x55 rifles, when these numbers calculated, they had to be calculated to shoot safely out of all 6.5x55, including the Swedish Mausers, wich are mostly 75-100 years old. Those pressures can be exceeded with todays stronger production rifles and more so on quality custom actions.

In my real world experiances, my 6.5x55 and 6.5x284 seemed to run pretty much parrelell. But like I said before, my 6.5x284 could have had a loose chamber, or some other limiting factor. As fast as I could ever run a bullet was a naked 140 AMAX at around 3050, but case life was less than desired (3 firings).

The only caliber that I have not shot out of these 3 is a .260, but when lookng at loading manuals, they are all right on par with eachother, as long as the test load for the Swede was not worked up on a M96, as most are.

I agree with Greg, that there isnt going to be much gained, if you already own a .260. Same bullets, really similiar case capacities, your really not gaining much.

This is a good discussion Ranger, and no offense taken, there are lots of varying factors from one rifle to the next, even if they are built the same. Throw in factors like production barrels and chambering, and there are lots more.

My 6.5x47 will be done shortly, wich for 142/140 SMK is a little step backwards, but this one will be running 123 Scenars, this will be my first qulaity build, everything is top notch, and can not wait to see what that one will do. I know its a differant animal compared to the .260/6.5 swede/6.5x284, but I am a sucker for hype, but I figured it has the best of all worlds, 22.250 powder capacity, shoots a high B.C. bullet, and the brass is tities, and barrel life is reportedly long.

Ranger1183,

What sort of barrel life are you getting? A good shooting buddy runs 6.5x284 in one of his F-class rifles but only expects just over 1000 rounds as a barrel life for the prime accuracy, normally has 2 or 3 barrels made up at a time. Cannot knock the accuracy and he's doing pretty well result wise but that's too high dollar for me to consider.

Yes, the Swedes down 100+ fps, but look at it this way, it's 115 years old, so the 6.5x284 gained approx 1 fps per year but lost 80% of its barrel life!

English

PS I shoot the Swede for red deer and it works real well -down before they hear the round
wink.gif

I will concur with Ranger1183, although I hold short of throwing the bullshit flag, that the 6.5-.284 will outperform the 6.5x55 Swede any day of the week. It's simple mathematics, more case capacity=more potential.
In fairness to this problem you have to look at the two set-ups to see how to optimize both. One thing you'll never do is outperform a 30" barreled 6.5x55 with a 24" 6.5-.284. You're wasting potential. The barrel length needs to match the case capacity and the best powder to use. I posted on another thread about how in WWII we used the 30-06 filled with 48 gr. of 4895 behind a 150-152 gr. bullet. That is ten grains under what the case will normally hold (with heavy bullet loaded). That ten grains can be used much better with a heavier charge of slower powder that is going to produce a lot more pressure at the end of it's burn, i.e. down the barrel a ways. The pressure at the end of the burn is what is going to increase velocity. So, if you went head to head with equally slow enough powders in equal barrel lengths the 6.5-.284 will have produced more pressure where it really matters most and that is high pressure at the end of the burn.

Edit:{added}

Barrel life in equal pressure situations will be longer in the rifle that has the lower volume. However, reduced pressure in a case extends barrel life exponentially. Meaning a little bit (edit:{10%} of pressure reduction can extend a barrels by half or a quarter again as much. What some 6.5-.284 shooters I know are doing is going to the next slower powder and reducing initial pressure while maintaining end of burn pressure. This brings the velocity down a little but not a whole lot.
I always liken this to using an Oxy-acetylene torch. You turn on the Acetylene and have the big yellow flame...but it doesn't cut anything. Add oxygen and bring the flame down to almost no yellow with a little center feather of light blue. You can still cut and weld with this. But it's when you bring the center flame down to a sharp pointed deeper blue that it's going to be seriously moving some metal. That's when you've optimized the mixture to produce the most pressure and efficiency. Again, it also does the most metal removal. Back off a smidge, give up a little pressure and you lose a lot less metal. The way to do this is to extend your pressure curve as far down the barrel as you can.

Curiosity question here...

I was under the impression that while the 6.5-284 (which I have one of) does have noticeably more case volume than a 6.5x55, it may not be able to use all of it to good effect.

Most people I know running a 6.5-284 for competitive purposes are running in the 2950-3000fps range (better accuracy, and not *quite* able to hit the next 'node' without running into over pressure). Seems like a 6.5x55 loaded warm should be able to come pretty doggone close to that without too much trouble - I know a 6.5-08 (aka .260 Rem) will hit 2900 with warm loads of H4350 and a long barrel.

Yes/no/maybe?

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curiosity question here...

I was under the impression that while the 6.5-284 (which I have one of) does have noticeably more case volume than a 6.5x55, it may not be able to use all of it to good effect.

Most people I know running a 6.5-284 for competitive purposes are running in the 2950-3000fps range (better accuracy, and not *quite* able to hit the next 'node' without running into over pressure). Seems like a 6.5x55 loaded warm should be able to come pretty doggone close to that without too much trouble - I know a 6.5-08 (aka .260 Rem) will hit 2900 with warm loads of H4350 and a long barrel.

Yes/no/maybe?

Monte</div></div>

Yes, it does come close. But doesn't equal. In order to get right close it has to be pushed really hard. Which is what I was saying in my last post. When pushed to the pressure limit and heat increases, you are taking metal that doesn't need to be taken to get good accuracy.

In order to properly utilize the larger case volume of the 6.5-284 you must go with a longer barrel. AND, a powder that matches that. Head to head with optimal loads for each, the 6.5-.284 will win the velocity race. It will lose the barrel longevity race.

Something to add here as well, the smaller the case the more efficient. But efficiency isn't the only factor for total velocity. This is why you get great velocity from small cases like the 6.5x47.

I thought the Swede shoots about 100 fps faster but has great barrel life. I thought if built I would build it with a 30" barrel and get aroud 3000fps maybe with the same barrel life. Maybe Iam wrong.
The 284 doesnt have enough barrel life for me. Great round to much maintance.

Have run my 6.5x55 in 1,000 yard F Class competition along side of 6.5-.284 shooters for the last 4 years. They mostly run the 139-142gr bullets at 2950fps, as do I. While the 6.5-.284 certainly has more potential due to it's larger case capacity, the fact is, it is deliberately downloaded to velocities that any long barrelled 6.5x55 can easily duplicate.

Don

For F Class shooting, and any discipline which entails slow fire, action length is not the restriction it initially seems. Except in instances of extremely long cartridges, they can at least be hand fed singly into the chamber, and a fired case will still extract sufficiently well as to clear the loading port. The potential for difficulty arises in the actually rather rare instances where a chambered but unfired cartridge must be removed from the action.

Coping with this eventuality is really quite simple as long as one is willing to think just a tiny bit outside the box.

The potential problem arises because the bolt's travel stops against the bolt stop before the cartridge can fully clear the action. But if we operate the bolt release, this impediment immediately, almost magically, disappears.

Well..., duh!

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just for fun I ran the numbers in Quick Load. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">EVERY</span></span> powder comparison I used showed the muzzle velocity of the 6.5x55 Swede <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">lagging at least 100 fps behind</span></span> the muzzle velocity of the 6.5x284. Same barrel lengths, same bullets. Same consistant results: The 6.5 Swede can't keep up with the 6.5x284. </div></div>

I absolutely can not personaly vouch for the chamber on my 6.5x284 (I never casted it or anything to check dimensions), as it was not built by a top notch builder, and the barrel I used was less than a top brand (Shaw). It shot lights out, was reamed by a 6.5x284 Norma reamer, with a .297 neck, fouled bad, was ugly inside, but shot good.

The PSI rating that you are quoting, I believe is the SAMMI pressures that are rated for 6.5x55 rifles, when these numbers calculated, they had to be calculated to shoot safely out of all 6.5x55, including the Swedish Mausers, wich are mostly 75-100 years old. Those pressures can be exceeded with todays stronger production rifles and more so on quality custom actions.

In my real world experiances, my 6.5x55 and 6.5x284 seemed to run pretty much parrelell. But like I said before, my 6.5x284 could have had a loose chamber, or some other limiting factor. As fast as I could ever run a bullet was a naked 140 AMAX at around 3050, but case life was less than desired (3 firings).

The only caliber that I have not shot out of these 3 is a .260, but when lookng at loading manuals, they are all right on par with eachother, as long as the test load for the Swede was not worked up on a M96, as most are.

I agree with Greg, that there isnt going to be much gained, if you already own a .260. Same bullets, really similiar case capacities, your really not gaining much.

This is a good discussion Ranger, and no offense taken, there are lots of varying factors from one rifle to the next, even if they are built the same. Throw in factors like production barrels and chambering, and there are lots more.

My 6.5x47 will be done shortly, wich for 142/140 SMK is a little step backwards, but this one will be running 123 Scenars, this will be my first qulaity build, everything is top notch, and can not wait to see what that one will do. I know its a differant animal compared to the .260/6.5 swede/6.5x284, but I am a sucker for hype, but I figured it has the best of all worlds, 22.250 powder capacity, shoots a high B.C. bullet, and the brass is tities, and barrel life is reportedly long. </div></div>

HasgunWilltravel -

absolutely no offense was intended, sorry if I came off that way.

A few thoughts. Pushing the 6.5x284 to it's limit will indeed yield higher numbers than the 6.5 Swede. Higher numbers, that is, in everything <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">except</span></span> barrel life.

As English points out, barrel life is noticeablely shorter in a pushed to the limit 6.5x284 than in just loading and shooting the 6.5 Swede.

Recently I've heard that many shooters are switching from 6.5x284 to one of numerous versions of the 6.5mm-08 Ackley Improved / .260 Ackley Improved chambers. Apparently 6.5mm-08 Ackley Improved and .260 Ackley Improved are able to produce 6.5x284 type numbers but with less powder and longer barrel life. That's a winning combination in anyone's book.

By the way, the new kid on the block 6.5x47 Lapua is the best innovation I've seen in a long time regarding 6.5mm shooting. A very high pressure piece of brass that can have the longest bullets loaded at max length and still fit into a Short Action receiver. You've made an excellent choice with that cartridge!

[SIDE NOTE: ON]
I used the 6.5x47 Lapua brass necked to 6mm and fireformed in a 6mmXC chamber to get some amazing results. Yes, the end result did have a very short neck compared to the store bought 6XC brass, but the muzzle velocities I could get with the higher pressure 6XC-6.5x47 Lapua brass were amazing. I was able to load much hotter with the higher psi 6XC-6.5x47 Lapua brass and still have great accuracy. I never did burn out a barrel either. One of the surprise benefits was the short neck on the 6XC-6.5x47 Lapua meant I never had to trim necks. Great stuff!
[SIDE NOTE: OFF]

Good luck and good shooting!