• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

lapua brass prep??

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
Hey guys, I just bought 200 new lapua .30-06 brass.

Do they still need flash holes debured and primer pockets uniformed? Necks turned???

Re: lapua brass prep??

flash holes are drilled, so there shouldn't be any burrs on the inside, but you may want to chamfer the outside if you wish. The primer pockets should be good too, but you may want to try scooping a few out just to see how much material comes out. I don't neck turn, so I don't have much to say on that one

Recent Lot of Lapua 308 brass, Primer pocket uniformer only took a minimal amount of brass from three cases the rest were GTG. No burs that I could feel with the deburrer and I don't neck turn so I can't help you there.

I take new Lapua brass run it thru my expander plug for neck turning then run it thru a neck die with no expander ball. Prime it, fill it up with powder put a bullet in it and shoot it.

When I get new Lapua brass I will grab a hand full from that new box and mic the neck thickness. It's vary consistent at .14-.145 I don't even bother to take the high spots off on Lapua brass. I get that same neck thickness in all the Lapua brass I have .223, .243, 6.5-284, .338

IMO it's easily worth the extra cost.

Nada.

Prime, chare, seat, shoot.

I will look at every case before priming, and if something seems amiss I will address it, but very rarely do I find anything amiss with Lapua brass.

I took one case today and found that there was very little if any burr in the flash hole, and the primer pocket uniformer did remover some brass but it was also very little....

my neck thickness variance was from .014 to .0155. NOt sure if that's enough difference to matter, I might turn down to .0145.

I don't mind brass prep, but really I dont' want to do any harm to the brass if it was already made "perfect".

4 lots of 6.5 Grendel brass I have mic at .015 consistently. Only prep is to run expander ball through neck if it is bent from shipping etc. Other than that, load and shoot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took one case today and found that there was very little if any burr in the flash hole, and the primer pocket uniformer did remover some brass but it was also very little....

my neck thickness variance was from .014 to .0155. NOt sure if that's enough difference to matter, I might turn down to .0145.

I don't mind brass prep, but really I dont' want to do any harm to the brass if it was already made "perfect". </div></div>

Do you have a tight-neck chamber? If not, you won't gain much, if anything, from turning the necks.

Chamber is min saami spec, my fired cases neck measure .338-.339"

I think saami spec is .340"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took one case today and found that there was very little if any burr in the flash hole, and the primer pocket uniformer did remover some brass but it was also very little....

I don't mind brass prep, but really I dont' want to do any harm to the brass if it was already made "perfect". </div></div>

Do you have a tight-neck chamber? If not, you won't gain much, if anything, from turning the necks.</div></div>

A lot of long range shooters turn necks in order to a) improve concentricity and b) maintain consistent neck tension.

Concentricity is improved by having the same neck thickness throughout the neck wall.

Consistent neck tension is maintained by having the same neck wall thickness for every case... for people who are using neck bushings (hence OD) to control neck tension, this is important. For people using expander balls, this is probably less important as the expander ball should create consistent ID.

FWIW, you can cull out Lapua cases to get less than .001" variance within the neck, and less than .001" average thickness from case to case (typically about .015"), and end up keeping 60%-70% of Lapua cases while getting 80% of the benefit of neck turning. Of course, neck turning will get you .00015" variance from case to case and even less within a case. That is probably overboard, but it only needs to be done once during the life of the case.

On flash hole uniforming... I was considering doing that, but I read an article by German Salazar writing that because Lapua flash holes are so good, putting the chamfer on them actually caused his SD's to increase. Makes sense... taking something that has a good finish and then hitting it with a hand tool might yield you worse results than when you started. Still, it certainly makes sense to do a visual inspection of each case.

Thanks for the info guys, that was very helpful...looks like I'll be leaving the pockets and flash holes alone, and maybe consider cleaning up the necks a little.

6.5G brass...only de-burred primer pockets. Same with .308 brass.
weighed and sorted but very few out of acceptable range.
No OS neck turning, but it's not a tight neck chamber like the bench rest boys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info guys, that was very helpful...looks like I'll be leaving the pockets and flash holes alone, and maybe consider cleaning up the necks a little. </div></div>

Let the bullet do that for you.

With new lapua brass, my case prep has been as follows.

#1) Seat a primer

#2) Charge with powder

#3) Seat a bullet

#4) shoot

On most I didn't even bother removing the dent in the case mouth that I found on a few. I did this on the last 500 virgin cases that I had for my 6.5x47L................. How did they shoot with this minimum amount of prep? There were several groups in the teens.

I buy Lapua so I can skip all the "prep"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With new lapua brass, my case prep has been as follows.

#1) Seat a primer

#2) Charge with powder

#3) Seat a bullet

#4) shoot

On most I didn't even bother removing the dent in the case mouth that I found on a few. I did this on the last 500 virgin cases that I had for my 6.5x47L................. How did they shoot with this minimum amount of prep? There were several groups in the teens.

I buy Lapua so I can skip all the "prep" </div></div>

Bingo. Prep is for <span style="font-weight: bold">re</span>-loading, not hand loading virgin brass (that's my philosophy anyways). The only time I prep new brass is when Lapua doesn't make what I need (in my case, 17 Remington brass which is only produced as bulk brass and needs a full work over prior to loading).

For 308Win Lapua cases at least, the neck diameters are overly small (= lots of neck tension) right out of the box. So I run them through my FL resizing die with an expander ball and neck sizing bushing to reset the necks of new Lapua brass to a better tension (I like 0.002").

first you started with some good brass , so its probably personal pref if you want to to all that prep work. I beleive also in the confidence you have in your ammo may play a little part. you can probably just , like a few others said, just chamfer and deburr the necks. or if your gonna try to ring out as much consistancy/accuracy as you can. a full case prep should be in order. for the most part I am limited to 200 yards and I have both some lapua 308 brass fully prepped and some not, when doing my part I am still getting about .750 5 shot groups (on the good load developement weather days)with both types of lapua brass. when I get a chance to shoot farther Im gonna try some more groups though