• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Lapua's New 136gr 6.5 Scenar

That SUCKS! Very disappointed with that, I wonder if Lapua has released a statement or anything regarding the lower the advertised BC?

Damn, and I just developed such a good load with this bullet :(

Wow it looks like both 6.5 Scenar L bullets are a LOWER BC than their older brothers the 123 and 139 scenar.

WTF?!

Shit can? Hardly, but I will have to test it at distance against my 139 load to see if it carries the distance as well. So far preliminary tests on steel show that it's almost identical.

After seeing Lapua publish this low BC I talked to a few guys shooting this bullet and they said a BC of 0.6 is what they use and they are on out to 1100 yards.

Mach 136 139

0,4M ,252 ,190
0,6M ,195 ,182
0.8M ,172 ,155
1M ,308 ,379
1,2M ,355 ,371
1,4M ,349 ,339
1,6M ,335 ,319
2,2M ,295 ,278

This is from the drg files where 0.xxx is the drag force@machX as it can be deduced from those numbers only the transsonic area is much improved the rest is worse. I have absolutely no idea of accuracy of those radar tests, repeatability of data through various different sessions or validity of the data but i did find error in 175L file as size of a bullet is incorrectly specified (.0354 meters when it should have been 0.0338 meters).

Reactions: TRAC
I find this thread humorous. Everyone is obsessed over B.C. yet few discuss consistency. I have not tried these yet but my intuition tells me they are very accurate, once the accuracy node is found, and stay that way from lot to lot much better than the yellow or green brands.

I say less semantics and more accuracy discussion.

Reactions: jasondamien
I'm sorry to say while they may be uniform you SIMPLY do not make what appears to be worse bullet BC wise, increase pricing and claim they are a bit more consistent than before while competition on the market has either lower price or better performance while being completely competitive or comparable in consistency department. Even for us European shooters yellow brand is more and more appealing regardless of extreme cost here. And if i want to shoot cheap and just as good there is always Nosler bullet.

We are not talking here about Xy company which just started out but about Lapua which already makes great bullets and reasons to switch a working load with 139gr scenar in favour of what appears to be a lesser bullet with higher cost - in my book that sure doesn't compute.

I'm sorry to say while they may be uniform you SIMPLY do not make what appears to be worse bullet BC wise, increase pricing and claim they are a bit more consistent than before while competition on the market has either lower price or better performance while being completely competitive or comparable in consistency department. Even for us European shooters yellow brand is more and more appealing regardless of extreme cost here. And if i want to shoot cheap and just as good there is always Nosler bullet.

We are not talking here about Xy company which just started out but about Lapua which already makes great bullets and reasons to switch a working load with 139gr scenar in favour of what appears to be a lesser bullet with higher cost - in my book that sure doesn't compute.

I agree there may have been misleading information about the initial BC estimates, but to me consistency matters more. Results on paper mean more than theoretical numbers. Zero correlation between BC and consistency.

So are you trying to state that by 139s before from Lapua were very inconsistent? I didn't think so. Anything man made will show some errors, even the 136s had some non uniformed shape meplats. In the end we are talking about Lapua and my 139s were fine. I just don't see myself spending the extra money like I was for an inferior bullet. I was pushing my 136 load hotter to get less performance than my 139 load. So not only did I spend more money on bullets but now factor in my higher n550 usage that is pretty scarce right now

Last edited:
Anyone spend any more time with these? If so what have you observed? I'm pointing these with a whidden #0 die and using a .293 G7 BC. Shot them at 1000 and the dope lined up perfectly. Trying to decide if I should buy more or switch to pointing the 139 Scenar or 142 SMK for higher BC and less drift...

I saw a post of a shooter running these after pointing them and using a G7 of .293 which is better than the 139's but who wants to do more work to make them edge out their bigger brother.

Looks Like Lapua is taking a bath on these since Midway is dumping them at such a low cost.

Wish I would have found this thread earlier, I bought 4K of them, They look no longer than the Norma I regularly shoot, oh well, leave it me to be an industry leader in taking a step backwards!

Milo, let me know your results. At $315 per 1k I could not resist. I just don't see Lapua making "crap" bullet.

.545 BC does sound really low to me, but at 2900 fps that's 8.2 mils to 1000 yards at sea level.
.600 BC at 2900 would be 7.7 mils. Every one is saying it was spot on w/ the .600 BC number. I'm very interested to see how they shoot in my gun.

I'm hoping somewhere in the middle.

D-geek,
I've shot their 123, and liked it because of the velocity, quit buying because of price. Never tried the 139's, just jumped on this buy hoping it would be the poor mans 140 Hybrid! I'm molying some right now, try test them by Tuesday.
Things kinda seem to be stacking against me right now, I re-barreled a 6.5x47 with a Mullerworks, 8 twist, 3 groove barrel, velocity might not be there, so my tests might be inconclusive???
I do have about the same gun, Brux, 8.5 twist that is somewhat faster, I may have to use that one. I'll keep you in the loop!

I just bought 1000. Midway puts things on sale all the time. I'm sure they will shoot.

My sentiments as well. I doubt Lapua would be selling garbage. Yes a High BC is important. But I think a few of you are allowing a number to unduly influence common sense.

I bought a thousand. My 6.5x47 should be shooting in 2-3 weeks. We shall see.

My sentiments as well. I doubt Lapua would be selling garbage. Yes a High BC is important. But I think a few of you are allowing a number to unduly influence common sense.

I bought a thousand. My 6.5x47 should be shooting in 2-3 weeks. We shall see.

Midway had 6.5 Creedmoor brass @ 30% off a while back. I hopped on that deal as well. Now it's back up to full price. I'm sure this sell will get people buying them and trying them. Then they can see how they really preform. Then.... they will prob end up being awesome, and when I go to buy more... the price will be back up lol!

200yards002.jpg

They pretty good.....then I ran out. I've got a couple thousand ordered.

Pat,

That's a sweet group at 200...

Ordered another 1k myself. Extreme Hunter might get a solid diet of these pills.

Pat, just think if you had used Lapua brass! :) Good shooting.

Pat,

The Lapua published BC has been beaten to death.

Is 0.600 G1 still working for you at distance, or you have you refined it? Thanks

I jumped in and bought 1000 from MidwayUSA also. At the clearance price I couldn't resist. If the .600 G1 Pat is using turns out to be correct I'll be thrilled. Hopefully I'll get to use them on a deer or hog before New Year. Would like to know how they fare, been happy with the 140 Amax and the VLD's.

I had some and checked COAL in an AI AX Bartlein barrel and found they touched the lands at 2.855" iirc. SAAMI max is 2.825"

Maybe I've got a slow barrel? Found an accuracy node higher up at 2950ish but got a sticky bolt lift with that much powder.

I shot this out to 1100 m with good accuracy results. I originally had the .600 in my calculator and was wondering what the hell was going wrong. I trued it and came up with .542 before lapua released their number. My hold if I remember correctly at my trying distance of 1035 was 11 when I was supposed be getting 10.2 at .6 bc. Nothing was wrong with the round just at the time they were commanding more money than the 139 and supply was iffy. I figured why pay more with short supply when my 139 load performed just as good (slightly better than the 136) and supply and price were more reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot this out to 1100 m with good accuracy results. I originally had the .600 in my calculator and was wondering what the hell was going wrong. I trued it and came up with .542 before lapua released their number. My hold if I remember correctly at my trying distance of 1035 was 11 when I was supposed be getting 10.2 at .6 bc. Nothing was wrong with the round just at the time they were commanding more money than the 139 and supply was iffy. I figured why pay more with short supply when my 139 load performed just as good (slightly better than the 136) and supply and price were more reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came from the range, no wind in WY this aft, maybe 3 days a year we get this lucky! My estimated bc would be .570, if my chrono is close. I've held this bullet up to a 139, IMHO this is a way better looking bullet, it just doesn't have the length to give it a .6 bc. I only had access to 1100 yards today, so don't take my bc as gospel, maybe this week I can run it out to 1500 or so.

As it stands, for 31.50 a box, via Midways 1k sale, I'll run with this bullet till I can find more Norma's.

Last edited: