• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LAR-8/NF F1 3.5-15 vs. OBR/SS 3-9

Strong972

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
Utah
New guy here. I have been researching this purchase for the last several weeks and could use some advice.

Assuming you could <span style="text-decoration: underline">not </span>upgrade the scope or rifle in the future, would you rather have a RRA-LAR8 with NF F1 3.5-15, or an OBR with a Super Sniper 3-9/Viper PST? My objectives are a reliable tactical rifle that can shoot distance (it is not being purchased as a bench rest rifle). I will be shooting reloaded 175 SMK.

I have ideas as to the advantages and disadvantages of each package from a tactical and durability viewpoint, but would like to hear from some of the more seasoned .308 tactical shooters on the site. I dearly wish I could purchase the OBR with the NF F1, but it’s just not going to happen. BTW, the LAR-8 would probably be the Elite or Standard Operator. Also downgrading the NF to SFP is not an option. Thx.

Re: LAR-8/NF F1 3.5-15 vs. OBR/SS 3-9

RRA/NF. should be plenty accurate with handloads.

I have a 4x32 ACOG on mine LAR 8, it’s perfect for what I what to use it for 500yds and under…

IMG_9438.jpg

If I was going to stick a scope on it, I would go with the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 http://www.impactguns.com/store/NF-NXS1550-MD.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strong972</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I dearly wish I could purchase the OBR with the NF F1, but it's just not going to happen.</div></div>

Welcome!
Then you should save up and get what you really want the first time and be done. Been there, done that. Buy once.. cry once. Just my .02

In my view, having owned both optics, and currently owning the OBR, you would have the best of both worlds with the OBR and PST.

I personally would rather have the PST than the NF. I wouldnt trade mine straight across for a sfp NF.

You will be impressed with the OBR, I assure you. I am shooting 175 mk's through mine and it is impressive. I havent shot past 600 yet, but inside that I dont feel handicapped compared to my 20" APA. And that is not a knock against the bolt gun, it shoots as well as any bolt gun I have had.

DSC_1666.jpg

Results this past weekend at 575y. The carbine was monotonous at this range with the 175's.

DSC_1673.jpg

I've got a LAR-8 Varmint with Nightforce scope on it. The rifle is awesome, and so is the scope. I would go for a PST also.

Here's what I've done with my RRA LAR-8, these are two of my best targets and I've hit targets all the way out to 1335 yards with it.

THis is a 10 shot group, including the first clean, cold bore shot (100 yards):
a4c40ae18eb6a8f893c5a294.jpg

This is a 5 shot group, including dirty, cold bore shot (110 yards):

DSC_0106.jpg

And here's the rifles, the one in the background is a LAR-8 16" mid-length:

d7391f1c0fbdbc1d272ddf98.jpg

If you decide to go with the less expensive RRA, I would wait for summer as I think Premier Reticles is releasing a 3-15x50 tactical "lite" scope to compete with the NF F1. Better glass and turrets IMHO. The website shows the new hunting model but the new tactical version will use the same tube (different turrets):
PR Tactical Light

GAP or POF (or build your own, 2k would build a nice rifle), after that keep squirreling away money & watching the classifieds for a deal on a used optic.

Of course it's been a month so you probably already made your choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a LAR-8 Varmint with Nightforce scope on it. The rifle is awesome, and so is the scope. I would go for a PST also.

Here's what I've done with my RRA LAR-8, these are two of my best targets and I've hit targets all the way out to 1335 yards with it.

THis is a 10 shot group, including the first clean, cold bore shot (100 yards):
a4c40ae18eb6a8f893c5a294.jpg

This is a 5 shot group, including dirty, cold bore shot (110 yards):

DSC_0106.jpg

</div></div>

Excellent shooting. I have the LAR 8 and I am amazed at its accuracy. RR guarantees 1 MOA for the 20 inch barrel. I would have been happy with that, but the gun is capable of more. All at a low price compared to some of the premium guns.

This was going to be my 100 to 300 yard gun. But the accuracy is so good, I am going to start shooting out to 500 with it.

Would love to see your targets at 1k or longer when you shoot.

LAR-8 and NF.

But, don't get the operator series, get the one with the stainless barrel and upgrade to the half quad forend. Either the varmint or the predator.

Go to the RR website and look at each model. RR lists the MOA for each of them. The MOA varies between 1 and 1 1/2 MOA.

The stainless barrel is nice, but I believe it does not have threads for a flash suppressor or mussel brake. It is also very shiny and reflects light. I know the DPMS stainless is very accurate. But I did not buy it for the reasons mentioned. But a flash suppressor may not be important to you. Also the barrel length, I believe is longer on that barrel.

I guess you have to try to match the models to your needs. Also keep in mind if you start adding to many things to the gun, then you are stepping into another price class and other guns may be an option.

My standard A2 does not have a free float barrel, but it is amazingly accurate. A free float tube or hand guard is not that expensive and would be a nice upgrade if you need it at some point.

I paid less than $1,100 and it shoots sub minute. That's not a bad deal.

Ill have to second, anyones suggestion about getting a RRA rifle. Mine is the 26" varmint model and I can make holes with the spread that can be covered up by a quarter. I have a Leupold 8.5-25x50mm LRT on it and it jut what the doctor ordered.

if you are not buying the rifle to be a bench gun then I would look at the a4 standard rra and the 3x9ss. I tried the free float tube , giant 4x14 scope bi-pod and all that crap . then after trying to drag mine through the brush and up and down the hills here in south east missouri I went 180 degrees , slapped a leupold mk4 1x3 optic on went with magpul rifle length hand guards and an a1 stock . now I have a rifle that I can carry all day , is fast on target and accurate enough to take deer out to 300 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phunter57785</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are interested I have a lar8 predator with a 5.5x22x56 non hs with zs mildot I would sell for $3000.00 great shooter longest I have shot with it is 1268 about 120 rounds down the tube.

Hit me up if interested</div></div> I would erase that before you end up with a vacancy notice...it is wrong on many levels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phunter57785</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's a vacancy notice not sure what's wrong with it</div></div> I really don't want to be a hall monitor; but, you cant sell rifles when you don't have a 100 posts and you can't try to sell rifles out of the for sale section. And, the owners and Mods of this site can give you a time-out punishment or a don't come back notice so I was telling you that you should erase your post.

Sale rules

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phunter57785</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So noted and deleted</div></div>

Additionally, a person inflating their post count by posting 100 posts in a matter of less than a week with crap posts such as posting "looks great" or "LoL" on other topics will also earn you a vacancy notice. Just giving you a heads-up so your stay here isn't short lived.
wink.gif

I am not a very chatty person just thought I had the set up he was looking for and don't shoot it anymore because of a different build. Was going to help each other out. I do not want to jeopardize my status here I do love the info I get here on the hide.

OBR / SS 3-9.

While I haven't fingered one, the OBR reviews and competition results all say it is superbad.

I really like my SS 3-9. It is on my 22 LR and I've shot it out to 300, it has really proven itself up close and farther away. The glass is clear in varied light conditions. If you are going to shoot farther than 600 you might want more power though.

I've got an SPR-ish 5.56 rifle on my wish list right now and it will most likely wear a new SS 3-9.

Looks great. LoL.

I would go with the Rock River. I have a 20" varmit lar-8 and it will shoot 1/2 moa. I also have a 16" lar-8 that will shoot 3/4 - 1 moa. I had chance to shoot the lar-8 predator and found it initially shot awsome, but the lighter barrel heated up too fast and affected the point of impact and accuracy. Stay away from the surplus used mags and you have a great rifle for a great price. If you are going to shoot 1000 yards or close to, you might want go with the 26" varmit to squeeze out the most velocity.