• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue OBR or JP LRP 07....

Kevin70

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
I currently have a S&W M&P 10 and would like a 7.62 with more precision. No hunting, just shooting out to 500 yd.
Having never handled either rifles which is the higher quality a Larue or JP?

Prices are relatively comparable with the JP a tad more.

Thanks you

I have a JP 204 Ruger upper and the quality and how it good it shoots helped me make the decision this winter to get an LRP-07. I have yet to shoot the LRP 07 it's waiting for me at my dealer in AK right now. I have not handled a Larue but JP quality is second to none. I don't know what the wait time on a Larue is but JP is down to just a couple months. I ordered mine in Late January and it shipped a couple weeks ago.

Have shot both extensively and JP LRP-07 would be my choice hands down. Much more attention to detail. The LRP-07 is a precision rifle and the Larue is a battle rifle. You won't be disappointed with the LRP

I was on the list to buy a LaRue PredatOBR in .223 prior to the shortage and waited 11 months and still no rifle. I cancelled the order a week before the Sandyhook shooting. Could have kicked myself, but picked up a Daniel Defense M-4 V7 in it's place, changed out the trigger and am very happy with it as my duty rifle. The accuracy is outstanding! The DD replaced my RRA M-4 which also served me well for many years.

My buddy, Rich swears by JP rifles and this guy really knows how to shoot and is an outstanding shot with any weapon!

I had always wanted a LaRue, but the wait was crazy and this was before the scare/buy up!

Last edited:
Apples v. Oranges

OBR is a heavy rifle, the JP is the lightest .308 I've shot.

If I was setting up a bench/target rifle, prob. go with a 20" OBR, with a S&B 5-25X and a Spuhr mount. I'd hate to have to carry it around a lot.

The JP is almost "sleek" compared to an OBR, super sweet single stage trigger, accurate, side charging handle (which is sweet). Mine has a 1.8-10X scope, can carry it all day, not that bad. Soft shooting.

Good luck.

JP all the way, Larue Tactical makes very good rifles I even shot the OBR and I will not lie it was nice but it was heavier than my LRP-07 and not quite as accurate. Also the quality you get from JP has to be seen to believed. Another great choice is the GAP-10, I also shot this rifle and was impressed but again it was heavier and just did not fit me right.

I've had the GAP 10 and now have the LRP 07. Fit and finish, accuracy, ease of use all go to the JP LRP 07. Plus you get the side charge feature which is really nice if you're going to mount a scope..

I was 100% convinced I wanted an OBR....until I shot a JP. I am working a shit ton of overtime this month so I can order the JP!

how much do you shoot at 500yards? what do you "typically" shoot at for yardage?

I currently have a S&W M&P 10 and would like a 7.62 with more precision. No hunting, just shooting out to 500 yd.
Having never handled either rifles which is the higher quality a Larue or JP?

Prices are relatively comparable with the JP a tad more.

Thanks you

The LT OBR is a battle rifle whereas the JP is a precision rifle. I also would choose the JP on weight as well. Go with the JP and be happy.

how much do you shoot at 500yards? what do you "typically" shoot at for yardage?

I have a farm and can safely get out to 800 yd on a power line right of way and still have a good backstop with good visibility to both sides. How often I would do it..... I can't say.

Thanks for all of the responses. I have often seen Mile High Shooting in CO listing JP LRP7's for what seems to be reasonable prices, especially given they have it on hand and no need to wait for a build.

Using JP's rifle builder the final pricing comes to within a $100 or so of the MH asking price.

7.62 would be the ticket then for going over 500yards and is cheap to reload for / components are easy to find... Nice for banging steel too... If it was me and rifle is going to be 100% target bench rifle like you said then i would try to get something in a bull barrel if all your going for is accuracy IMO. Regardless of rifle brand.

I have a farm and can safely get out to 800 yd on a power line right of way and still have a good backstop with good visibility to both sides. How often I would do it..... I can't say.

Thanks for all of the responses. I have often seen Mile High Shooting in CO listing JP LRP7's for what seems to be reasonable prices, especially given they have it on hand and no need to wait for a build.

Using JP's rifle builder the final pricing comes to within a $100 or so of the MH asking price.

Last edited:
I've shot both and the JP LRP07 is better IMO. Between the side charger, reduced weight, and the silent capture spring it performs phenomenally.

I have only shot the JP in 6.5 Grendel and 223 but the finish is awesome and with the silent capture spring and the Low mass bolt I have never shot a smoother AR.

how about ammo? does the JP accept all kind ammo well or only match? what about reliability?

Mine isn't too picky, will eat any U.S. ammo, shot West German ball fine, I've never shot any steel cased ammo through it.

I don't use any ammo with a polymer tip regardless of manufacturer.

The only time I had a problem with reliability was a shitty magazine. Pmags or KAC metal mags work fine for me.

I was able to shoot <1" in Elfster's first 6X5/30 shoot out with it. The rifle shoots waaay better than I do...

Good luck.

We need a pic...

Last edited:
i had ordered the larue predatobr in 7.62 but after an 8 month wait and no updates i cancelled and ordered the JP PSC-12 in .308. i'm glad i did and no regrets here.

Very nice looking gun there stang02. I'm on a tiny screen right now and can't see what kind of scope is that?

Your rifle is beyond bad ass looking.... Big fan of the black rifles.... Everytime my girlfriend gets new black shoes i need to get a new black rifle.

It would be nice to get some jp rifles on the shootout boards.... Checking out all of these jp pics makes me want to purchase one!

you would be correct sir mr. elf vortex pst 4-16x50 FFP.

If you want the best gaming/comp gun get the jp. If your gun is standing between you and death....buy the jp and backoerder the Larue. Then shoot your particular jp rifle and see if that makes you cancel your Larue order after the first year.

If you want the best gaming/comp gun get the jp. If your gun is standing between you and death....buy the jp and backoerder the Larue. Then shoot your particular jp rifle and see if that makes you cancel your Larue order after the first year.

Reasonable thought process.

I have a feeling after having the JP for awhile, no one would see the need to switch though.

FWIW, There are several LE sniper teams in my area that evaluated a wide variety of bolt and semi auto guns from most of the top names in the industry. They ended up with JPs. I was originally skeptical of JP as being a "gamer gun". After speaking to multiple agencies fielding multiple guns(with some pretty high round counts) I am convinced that the guns flat work. In addition, JP seems to provide a higher level of user support. One agency's decision to go with the JP was weighted heavily by the fact that they felt, of all the guns they tested, JP's would be most quickly returned to service if they went down. Add to all that JP's policy of providing a loaner gun to officers who's gun is placed in evidence after a shooting, I am working overtime like crazy this month to put down the deposit on a JP even if I look like a "gamer".

Ive got an LRP07 and have no desire to own anything else, although from the pic you can see the accuracy with factory ammo is terrible

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
It depends on your purpose. I have a 18" OBR topped with a USO 3X17. No regrets. I will be getting my LMT this Sept to compare it to.

Another plus for the jp is you can get it in other calibers. Fuck 308. The fact that it endures is astounding. Get a 6.5CM or 260.

Some truth to this statement. The only thing that holds me back from getting out of the 308 cartridge is the components are easier to find and less money..... 260 in an ar would be awesome. Finding once fired lake city 7.62 is so easy to find and i hate resizing brass from one cartridge to another.. Also i can find 308 bullets really easy and cheap in my area.... Other than that 260 and 6creed is much more accurate. I also find 5.56 to be more accurate than 308 up to about 300yards and reloading for 5.56 is stupid cheap (as in like .24cent per match grade round cheap) for some fun bench precision target shooting. Imo 308 is not the most accurate cartridge out there. It does make a nice bong when hitting steel tho! ;)

Another plus for the jp is you can get it in other calibers. Fuck 308. The fact that it endures is astounding. Get a 6.5CM or 260.

Last edited:
Own both and have shot both quite a bit, to say the OBR isnt a precision rifle would be wrong, it is a precision rifle as well as a battle rifle, having said that, mine stays in the safe and the JP see all the range time. The JP is lighter, a little more accurate, and recoil is better. I have used it as a back up in carbine classes and its never failed me. I wish it had a dustcover, that is my only complaint I have about the LRP-07. Both rifles eat FGMM SMK BTHPs like candy.

Own both and have shot both quite a bit, to say the OBR isnt a precision rifle would be wrong, it is a precision rifle as well as a battle rifle, having said that, mine stays in the safe and the JP see all the range time. The JP is lighter, a little more accurate, and recoil is better. I have used it as a back up in carbine classes and its never failed me. I wish it had a dustcover, that is my only complaint I have about the LRP-07. Both rifles eat FGMM SMK BTHPs like candy.

JP now offers an upper with a dustcover for their LRP-07; it's standard on the LRP-07H and an option for the regular LRP-07.

I'm sure they could switch out your non-dust cover upper for one of the dust cover uppers but the cost would probably be a little excessive. (A CTR-02 billet upper is $350, I would imagine an LRP-07 upper only would cost at least that if not a little more.)

Its not that big of a deal but its nice to know, plus Id have to have it re hydrodipped, If I ever get a SBRd LRP-07, ill definately Opd for the dustcover

Who dipped for ya.

Carolina Custom Camo, they do great work,

as far as hunting no but as stated before, ive used it in classes with a plate carrier and didnt have anymore of a problem with it catching than I did with a normal charging handle, and on my chest rig there are a lot more things for it to catch on than a normal hunting coat.

Well because of this thread , and a few others on here, I put a deposit down on a LRP-07 with Mile High today. I should have it next week or so. I also just happened to grab a NF 2.5-10X32 out of the Exchange for it!

Mine is coming in as an all black 16" with magpul ACS, Full length top rail, on a 12" hand guard. 4 lb patrol trigger.

She's going to make a fine Maine woods Hunting rifle.

Well because of this thread , and a few others on here, I put a deposit down on a LRP-07 with Mile High today. I should have it next week or so. I also just happened to grab a NF 2.5-10X32 out of the Exchange for it!

Mine is coming in as an all black 16" with magpul ACS, Full length top rail, on a 12" hand guard. 4 lb patrol trigger.

She's going to make a fine Maine woods Hunting rifle.

Thats the same scope I have. See the pic of my rifle above to see what it will look like on yours. Great choice in setup. I love mine

You are going to be amazed @ the Quality and Attention to Detail on this rifle. Not to mention it is dead nuts accurate if you do your part. Enjoy and rest easy knowing that as an added bonus you are also getting one of the best CUSTOMER SERVICES there is. have fun and shoot the hell out of it.

Thats the same scope I have. See the pic of my rifle above to see what it will look like on yours. Great choice in setup. I love mine

Sweet! How do you like the jp mount? I wsd thinkink adm or larue be ause I like QD. Honestly the 5 allen head bolts kinda scare me.

You are going to be amazed @ the Quality and Attention to Detail on this rifle. Not to mention it is dead nuts accurate if you do your part. Enjoy and rest easy knowing that as an added bonus you are also getting one of the best CUSTOMER SERVICES there is. have fun and shoot the hell out of it.

That is great to hear! I am very excited, the customer service thing is the most imprtortant. The last very high end firearm I bought had no support after the sale.