• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes last few Nightforce questions

shaggy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2011
Virginia, at last
I am topping of my long range rifle (Savage 110 BA in 300 WM).
I have decide to go with a Nightforce scope. I want a sound rifle used for distance shooting and tacitcal use out beyond 1000 yds.
I am deciding on the NF NXS 5.5-22 x 50. I am considering also the 56mm objective. I think I would have to go with a zero stop too. My last point to decide is reticle. I have a little background in mildot and that should come back with practice. However, looking at the choices in NF scopes, I like the NP and the MLR variables too. My concern above all is that I can work range estimation pretty well with a FFP mildot scope. If I go with the NF (most in MOA adjustment and SFP) what can I use to do range estimations?
Is there a NF power setting at which the MOA hash marks are same as Mildot?
Sorry if this is a dummy question, I just can't think this through 'in theory' and answer my question. And, though salesmen I've talked to seem pretty good, I want to hear from shooters not behind the counter so to speak.

Once that's decided, can you recommend a ring height to suit the NF in each 50 and 56?
Thanks again!!

Re: last few Nightforce questions

Unless you go with the F1 scope, the Nightforce has to be at full power (22) to range things. Look at there website to see what the calibrations are for which ever reticle you pick. If you go with the NP-R1 then you would range in MOA, if you go with the MLR then you would range in Mils.

The NP-R1 reticle is very thin. Its very hard to use unless its a bright clear day. I would look at the reticles before you buy if at all possible. Just my .02 I have and like the NP-R1, I'm just saying its thin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you go with the F1 scope, the Nightforce has to be at full power (22) to range things.</div></div>

Not entirely true. Read this posted by bohem. Link to the whole thread here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can range at any power is true. The scope is setup to range at max power per the instructions they give you.

If you range at 5x instead of 22x you need to do the following.

Get the MOA or MIL reading as you normally would, and calculate the range exactly how you normally would.

Now that you have a number, let's say it comes out to 425 yards

You take the range and multiply by 22/5.

This is your max power divided by the power you ranged at. That means that the true range is (22/5)*425 = 4.4*425 = 1870 yards

Let's look at it from the "how'd you do that?"

The reticle on a second focal plane scope never changes size. Therefore, the dots change true spacing as the magnification changes.

If you have an object that's 1 MOA across at 1000y it's real life size is about 10.5"

If you look at it on 22x, the object looks to be 1 MOA, but if you look at it on 5x, it appears to only be about 0.227 MOA

You're working from a pure ratio of the magnification now. Calibrated power ( generally Max power) is always the numerator, in this case, 22 power.

The power you're ranging at is always the denominator, this case it's 5x.

Just as a sanity check, verify that if you take the calibrated power (22) and divided it by max power (22) you get 1

22/22 = 1, therefore if you range at max power you have no further changes to make.

Does that make sense or did I just stir the mud puddle?
</div></div>

The formula for MOA ranging is pretty simple actually. Here is a link to a page made by Lindy here on the hide that breaks it down pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NP-R1 reticle is very thin. Its very hard to use unless its a bright clear day.</div></div>

I think maybe you don't have your eyepiece focused right for your eye. I find the NP-R1 to be just right in thickness and an all around good reticle for the casual shooter.

I think it would be easier for me to explain a nuclear reactor than to do all that math. If you need to do all that then buy the F1.

On that Savage w/the rail like it is you are going to want to go w/the 50mm I think. I think the scope is too long and will extend past that little cut out designed for it. If you use the sunshade I know this is true. You still may have to go w/the 1.125" rings even w/the 50mm. I have mounted a NF on one before but it's been awhile and can't remember.

I have a 50mm NF in Leupold medium rings (.88) and it doesn't extend past the recessed area and clears the base in the recessed area by 1/8" or so. Just eyeballing, it looks like it would be damn close to clearing the rail out past the recessed area where a sunshade would be but I would play it safe and go taller if you are going to run a sunshade.

Going off of varmintslayer's last post I would say 1.00" nf rings for the 50mm. Probably 1.125" if you go 56mm. Either way will be fine as you have an adj cheek piece.

Thanks for all the above help. I will add a sun shade, and I was worried about the lower rail in front. I won't add night vision in any likely case, so I just need to avoid the front rail. With the PRS stock I should be able to get behind any height of scope, but I was looking for the lowest possible combintation. And I'd like to order the rings so they are ready for the scope ahead of time, so I was looking for tips on sizes.

As for reticle, am still debating this. I suppose, worst case, I could get the best one I think will work and if I can't live with it, send it in for a swap. I dont' want something too fine, since I am looking at having the rifle for tactical use. I like the the NP, MLR and Mildot though....

Oh, and thanks for the links. The linked page on range determination looks misleadingling simple. But, it might give me the courage to look at MOA scaled reticles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and thanks for the links. The linked page on range determination looks misleadingling simple. But, it might give me the courage to look at MOA scaled reticles.</div></div>

it actually is quite simple. its so much easier to learn, when there is a genuine interest in what is being taught. best of luck in your NF shopping. im busting my ass, working overtime, to by my first NF aswell.

I would try to look through some different reticles before I buy if at all possible. You can send it in and have it changed later but that will cost you $250.

Because my needs include tactical / stress shooting at unk ranges. I'll rule out the NP-R1. I think the four equal large reticle bars (compass points) will work best on quick and closer shooting, so now I'm narrowing it down to Mildot or MLR reticles. Which leaves me to decide if I can change gears to MOA. I think I can do that much.

@ Mr Pink, yeah, this is my long-term savings so to speak, been stalking this scope for a while
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShaggyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because my needs include tactical / stress shooting at unk ranges. I'll rule out the NP-R1. I think the four equal large reticle bars (compass points) will work best on quick and closer shooting, so now I'm narrowing it down to Mildot or MLR reticles. Which leaves me to decide if I can change gears to MOA. I think I can do that much.

@ Mr Pink, yeah, this is my long-term savings so to speak, been stalking this scope for a while
wink.gif
</div></div>

i was leaning toward the MLR2 reticle, but as of late, it just seems to be a bit too busy for my taste. i think im gonna go with the standard MLR. anyone have any feedback on the MLR2, and the hashmarks being a tad bit too wide, or cluttered? to me, the standard MLR seems a bit more clean, and open.

Just broke down and bought my first nightforce 5.5-22 with the MLR reticle and mil turret. I couldn't be more pleased. Tracked like a champ at the range, glass is excellent, and I love the MLR reticle. I compared ranging with it to my leica laser rangefinder, and was surprised at how accurate you can be with the reticle and doing a little math. Had a rangefinder take a dump on me years ago (bushnell) and I felt totally handicapped. Those days are gone!

That is exactly what I got ... Good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShaggyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with MLR, seems clean but still lots of useable detail. </div></div>

i agree, thats the same direction im heading. hope it works out for you. =)

As things fall together, I'll keep you posted. I'm looking forward to the scope now more than the rifle. Good thing they last forever, because it will take that long to save up for another
wink.gif