• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lathe Confusion.

rigmaster10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
Wyoming
So as I look at getting an Eisen 14x40K lathe. I notice that it looks identical to a Kent or KBC. The only difference I can see is varying prices. Im lost in the see of Chinese lathes. I am wanting to buy a lathe and mill and stay under $14,000. But every where I look I see copies. I am not an FFL gunsmith but do build allot of rifles for myself. How do I know which an quality upgrade for my 12x36 Grizzly. Or should I just build my new tool room with better Grizzly products.

So as I look at getting an Eisen 14x40K lathe. I notice that it looks identical to a Kent or KBC. The only difference I can see is varying prices. Im lost in the see of Chinese lathes. I am wanting to buy a lathe and mill and stay under $14,000. But every where I look I see copies. I am not an FFL gunsmith but do build allot of rifles for myself. How do I know which an quality upgrade for my 12x36 Grizzly. Or should I just build my new tool room with better Grizzly products.

Ive been looking for awhile and the Sharp 13x40VS is a nice lathe, one of these days Ill upgrade. I too have the 12x36 grizzly and its served me very well.

Casey

The Grizzly G4003 12x36 did a good job for me too. But I sold it to move and looking to step up a little but. Its confusing when many lathe brands look identical. Who is good and who is not.

Be patient and keep your eyes peeled for a Bridgeport on Craigslist. Sometimes old timers just can't use it anymore and sell it cheap to a good home, but even better (pricewise) are the occasions where the husband died and left a garage full of tools and machines that the poor wife knows nothing about. They sometimes sell it cheap on CL just in order to get rid of it fast and a lot of times they don't know what it's worth, typically if it's in a used condition. Sometimes they nearly give it away.

It takes time and constant, daily checkups and searches on CL, perhaps other sites as well and in particular local ones, and lots of patience, but when one turns up you can sometimes get a very nice Bridgeport for the price a NIB POS Chinese model that won't be nearly as accurate or long lasting.

When I get ready to and am able to get a mill and lathe, I'll be doing this. Saving up while I look for the right manual mill and lathe, preferably a quality but manual one that I can upgrade myself to NC or even CNC, depending.

This is just my $.02 FWIW.

I just recently picked up a used Kent kls 1440. Mine is 10 years old, but hardly used. I am very pleased with it especially for the price I paid. I was going to buy the 1440 grizzly gunsmith lathe, but I am very happy that I waited. It leaks a little from the feed rod, but I think that is because it sat for so long. Anyway if you can get a good price the kent lathes are good to go. I think new price is 6500 ish and I'm not sure I would pay that. Any more than 5k and I would start taking a hard look at a sharp lathe.

Ringmaster10
I just got back from a visit to Grizzly's showroom in Springfield MO and I will tell you that their G0740 14x40 toolroom lathe is a beauty. Its a Taiwanese lathe built by (I believe) Shun Chuan the same company that builds the Kent, Sunmaster, and other similar rebadged versions... I checked with a friend of mine who owns a machine shop in Taiwan and he says that Shun Chuan are one of the best brands in Taiwan.

I also think that for the extra $1,400 that the G0670 is another great buy, you get a bigger size, 16x40 (and 1000 lbs of weight) added with CSS, bigger spindle nose (D1-6 instead of D1-5), its variable speed and is generally a sturdier machine. The G0670 is also built by Shun Chuan. This still gives you a price point of under the $14,000 (without shipping) that you mentioned above.

I want to buy the G0670 but I don't have 3 phase in my shop and the recommended rotary phase converter is just under $3k (expensive...). I have to figure out if I can change the VFD in it to run from single phase or convert the G0740 to run on single phase 220 by installing a VFD and rewiring the machine....

Has anybody converted either of these machines to run from 220V single phase?

Ringmaster10
I just got back from a visit to Grizzly's showroom in Springfield MO and I will tell you that their G0740 14x40 toolroom lathe is a beauty. Its a Taiwanese lathe built by (I believe) Shun Chuan the same company that builds the Kent, Sunmaster, and other similar rebadged versions... I checked with a friend of mine who owns a machine shop in Taiwan and he says that Shun Chuan are one of the best brands in Taiwan.

I also think that for the extra $1,400 that the G0670 is another great buy, you get a bigger size, 16x40 (and 1000 lbs of weight) added with CSS, bigger spindle nose (D1-6 instead of D1-5), its variable speed and is generally a sturdier machine. The G0670 is also built by Shun Chuan. This still gives you a price point of under the $14,000 (without shipping) that you mentioned above.

I want to buy the G0670 but I don't have 3 phase in my shop and the recommended rotary phase converter is just under $3k (expensive...). I have to figure out if I can change the VFD in it to run from single phase or convert the G0740 to run on single phase 220 by installing a VFD and rewiring the machine....

Has anybody converted either of these machines to run from 220V single phase?

$3k for a rotary converter??!! I think you should shop around a little. I did a quick google search and found several for under $1k

My Automation direct GS2 VFD converts my single phase 220 into 3 phase 220. You may want to look into that.

For a manual lathe there are better options out there in my opinion. I am currently looking for a second lathe for the shop and have been looking at Mori's and Whacheon's. I have an American made lathe now but needing to do metric threads as well for customers. The Mori's and Whacheons are great lathes with plenty of mass. I have a buddy that just put a KBC lathe in his shop as his third lathe. From the day it went in he absolutely hates it and I can see why. From the numbers on the compound being on the wrong side, to the cheap aluminum foil housing. I dont remember all the issues with it off hand but I know that there were atleast a dozen legitimate problems from a 10k lathe. In that price range it opens a lot of doors for a lot of possibilities. There are many others besides what I mentioned that are great lathes as well. Just my .02 good luck with your search, there are a lot out there. Also American Rotary is another phase converter that will do everything you need, I believe you can even get CNC controls for about 1k which will give you clean power to run a CNC later if you wish.

getting 3 phase is simple and cheap. I think I have about $300 in my set up. I have the big 0509G grizzly lathe and my spindle nose will run .0001 you really cant ask for much more than that. Those kinds of tolorence are lost in the noise anyway. Tool pressure alone looses that much. If rifle barrels are going to be your main goal, it doesn't take a 14000$ lathe. Not that I wouldn't love to own one!! LOL!! Lee

My brand new American Rotary 15 horse was only $1500 5 years ago. Love my Tai built, Shun Chuan, Sun Master ERL-1340 lathe. Still running smooth and quiet as it did on day one. It cuts the smoothest threads you will find anywhere. No change gears and seems to be able to cut any thread you can imagine. Matt at http://www.machinetoolonline.com/ delivered my brand new ERL-1340 and preowned but never used 9x49 Variable speed mill, both with DRO's for $15000. Very happy. The only bad part was the 10 month wait while they built it and shipped it from Thailand.

I think after all of my searching im going to stick with Grizzly. The old lathe served me well. Im going to get the G0509G 16x40 Gunsmith lathe. And one of the 9x49 mills. Rotary index table for fluting and possibly try octagon cutting barrels.

$3k for a rotary converter??!! I think you should shop around a little. I did a quick google search and found several for under $1k

It will be difficult to get a good quality 15HP rotary converter for less than $1000. Grizzly do sell one for $2100 but for some reason they are recommending a 30Hp model for the G0670 which is "Made especially for EVS or CNC machinery". I will check with their technical help department to see why this is the recommended RPC.