• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2800.com sleep mode aggravation

Davidu

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2020
Recently purchased a Leica 2800.com and Kestral 5700 Elite
I’ve been playing around with it on the porch since it’s been too wet in North Texas to do much
Out in the woods.
My gripe is the Leica, while paired with the Kestral, goes to sleep in spite of continually ranging and won’t show a solution in the Leica viewfinder. The Kestral and Leica are right next to each other. There doesn’t appear to be a way to input an “awake time” in the Leica like there is in the Kestral.
Am I doing something wrong?
Does the new Leica 3500 address this? I just find it irritating because the whole idea was to get firing solutions quickly using the paired range finder and Kestral

Reactions: seansmd
Is there a sleep time or auto off feature? Went to use mine this weekend and it was dead as a door nail. Best guess is I accidentally turned it on when loading up the truck the night before a match.

I keep reading about these problems and I'm getting ready to buy a RF. With these issues, is there ANY reason to buy a Leica over a Sig 3000BDX?

Reactions: lambsey
Reading this is making me wonder if I should keep my non Bluetooth model kestrel ???

Reading this is making me wonder if I should keep my non Bluetooth model kestrel ???
Bottom line is you need to keep the leica awake, or you will then need to wake it up, and then power cycle. I haven't tried cycling the Bluetooth on the kestrel to see if this is quicker.

Perhaps it may be a good idea to have the option of using a communication cable between them and use that instead of bluetooth if one wishes to. That way you have a dependable connection and battery life would be better on both units. Even better would be to just integrate the electronics into the rangefinder and skip the kestrel.

Bottom line is you need to keep the leica awake, or you will then need to wake it up, and then power cycle. I haven't tried cycling the Bluetooth on the kestrel to see if this is quicker.
Sean,

How do you "power cycle" the 2800?

Jim

I went through some detailed testing today, I may share this in a separate thread if folks think it makes sense, and I'm not full of shit.

Leica 2800.com BT testing:

Leica setup, BT enabled, no ballistic calculator settings on device

Kestrel 5700elite setup: BT enabled device mode connected to Leica, Kestrel BT mode set to lock in the device submenu on the Kestrel, setting in display menu set to 15m auto shutdown
fgnhFzv5zmHLCTlphrPhdkV-kc-W_5030c0W8PwjeARoFY2VNyMb98RbJ1Pn0NX4omZZxxEG8v0vSnQIkSct44JJFfSdy-YTfu-LAWaYq1LtUhFTh44k2LMoZ4fj38p3jOyqBu3x

1. I can range multiple targets for hours if I do not let the Leica or Kestrel go into sleep mode.

1. If the Leica goes into sleep mode, and I wake it with button 1, it will power up, reconnect to the Kestrel BT, the reticle will swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) as it reconnects with the Kestrel. When this is complete I can range targets as needed. Come up and wind hold information is displayed on the Leica and the Kestrel.

1. If they both go to sleep and I wake up the Leica with button 1 and power on the Kestrel and wait for the reticle to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device), it operates in the same way as above in (2).

1. If the Leica goes to sleep and I wake it with button 2, the Leica appears to reconnect with the Kestrel, it appears to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) and be good. When you press button 2 to range, it displays the range but not the come up or wind hold on the Leica. It does send the info to the Kestrel and displays on the Kestrel.
    1. There does seem to be some extended amount of time the Leica is asleep for it to enter this mode. I did see it work properly when I woke the device with button 2 right after it went to sleep. If I let it sit for several minutes after going to sleep it consistently entered this “partially” disconnected state. I waited 2 minutes after seeing the Leica go to sleep.
    2. If I leave the Leica awake in this disconnected state and go into the BT menu on the Kestrel and force it to reconnect. It goes back to being connected and working as expected
    3. If you power the Leica off with button 1, wait for it to power off, and power back up with button 1. It goes back to working as expected.

Last edited:
I went through some detailed testing today, I may share this in a separate thread if folks think it makes sense, and I'm not full of shit.

Kestrel 5700elite setup: BT enabled device mode connected to Leica, Kestrel BT mode set to lock in the device submenu on the Kestrel, setting in display menu set to 15m auto shutdown
fgnhFzv5zmHLCTlphrPhdkV-kc-W_5030c0W8PwjeARoFY2VNyMb98RbJ1Pn0NX4omZZxxEG8v0vSnQIkSct44JJFfSdy-YTfu-LAWaYq1LtUhFTh44k2LMoZ4fj38p3jOyqBu3x

1. I can range multiple targets for hours if I do not let the Leica or Kestrel go into sleep mode.

1. If the Leica goes into sleep mode, and I wake it with button 1, it will power up, reconnect to the Kestrel BT, the reticle will swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) as it reconnects with the Kestrel. When this is complete I can range targets as needed. Come up and wind hold information is displayed on the Leica and the Kestrel.

1. If they both go to sleep and I wake up the Leica with button 1 and power on the Kestrel and wait for the reticle to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device), it operates in the same way as above in (2).

1. If the Leica goes to sleep and I wake it with button 2, the Leica appears to reconnect with the Kestrel, it appears to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) and be good. When you press button 2 to range, it displays the range but not the come up or wind hold on the Leica. It does send the info to the Kestrel and displays on the Kestrel.
    1. There does seem to be some extended amount of time the Leica is asleep for it to enter this mode. I did see it work properly when I woke the device with button 2 right after it went to sleep. If I let it sit for several minutes after going to sleep it consistently entered this “partially” disconnected state. I waited 2 minutes after seeing the Leica go to sleep.
    2. If I leave the Leica awake in this disconnected state and go into the BT menu on the Kestrel and force it to reconnect. It goes back to being connected and working as expected
    3. If you power the Leica off with button 1, wait for it to power off, and power back up with button 1. It goes back to working as expected.
Nice write up and thanks.

Anyone able to verify my testing?
Sean, it would be great to hear some others confirm your results, including some 3500.com owners. From your results the pairing looks manageable.

What's your experience with connection range? I've been considering upgrading from my 1600b, and the idea of running my Kestrel in the wind vane is very appealing, in which case the connection range would be critical.

Sean, it would be great to hear some others confirm your results, including some 3500.com owners. From your results the pairing looks manageable.

What's your experience with connection range? I've been considering upgrading from my 1600b, and the idea of running my Kestrel in the wind vane is very appealing, in which case the connection range would be critical.
Did they indicated knowledge of issues with the Bluetooth in general and afw change coming?

For what it’s worth, the 2800 will range super fast and generally further than it will in BT mode.

Take it out if BT and if it ranges it is the handshake. It is a shame leica can not get that part right.

Got out and tested my leica 2800 and kestral 5700 today... @Diver160651 I got my kestral finally figured out btw thanks for helping in my other thread while back...

The custom curves for the 147 and 225 eldm were only off by .1 mil at 1k once I calibrated the mv... Took it back and forth on unk dist today from 300 to 1500 and it was dead nuts super stoked about that....

I also tried several things today. Let the leica time out, or the kestral. Ranged a Target and had almost perfect handoffs. Occasionally I would have to range the target twice to wake the kestral back up but it didn't just sit there and spin like it has in the past with a fw version or 2 ago.

I updated the fw on both the kestral and leica before I went out today and I'm very pleased again. I am interested in how much more ranging ability the 3500 has vs the 2800 under midday sunny ipsc torso size targets out to a mile. The 2800 so far for me has np out to 1500 past that its hit or miss but can still usually get it with 2-3 tries to 1800 then nothing after that consistantly

Last edited:

Nice work!

Curious if there's been any news on this issue. I'm having issues keeping my 2800.com connected. As reported above I can "force" it in the kestrel and that seems to be the best workaround. The sleep timeout on the 2800 is really damn short so this is annoying.

I have also been completely unsuccessful at getting it to connect to my iPhone in 'app' mode to do any firmware updates.

Nothing sort of changing your expiation is going to work.

I now (if I want to use the range solutions) fire up the kestrel, then get my readings then just turn off the Kestrel. Ideally, I'd leave the kestrel on in my pack and uses the PLRF when even I wanted. - that’s a pipe dream- I’ve re-aligned my process

Last edited:
Yeah expectation management is a fact of life isn't it? :) My main use case is quickly setting up target cards at a match. It's certainly a survivable annoyance to have to kick the thing back in sync with the Kestrel at each stage.

I'd still be curious to know if anyone had problems getting the 2800 to connect to the iPhone app. Other than putting the 2800 in 'app' mode I'm not sure what else to try there.

Reactions: Diver160651
If you only use the front button #1 to wake the Leica the operation is near flawless, if you wake it to with button 2 you will get into the locked state.

Reactions: diamond
If you only use the front button #1 to wake the Leica the operation is near flawless, if you wake it to with button 2 you will get into the locked state.
Seriously? Yeah they need to fix that. Didn't see this until now after the MDT Steel Challenge this last weekend. Would have helped. At least on day 2. Day 1 the rain crushed me for other reasons. *rolleyes*

Seriously? Yeah they need to fix that. Didn't see this until now after the MDT Steel Challenge this last weekend. Would have helped. At least on day 2. Day 1 the rain crushed me for other reasons. *rolleyes*
Please experiment at your house and test my findings. More people that validate and post hopefully they will step up.

I almost want to remove the ranging button, it's too easy to hit first by accident as you grab it.

The rep at Leica said there’s going to be a firmware update at any time. Leica did an update about a week ago for the 3200 and 3500 as those newer models were having problems too. The rep said to use the front (non ranging button) to help avoid the spinning ring of death / lockup I am experiencing

Reactions: yakmastermax
Awesome. I'm super interested in the 2800.COM

If I weren't going to spring for a Kestrel right away, how good are the built in calculations that the 2800.COM has? How are the standalone meteorological sensors that are built into the 2800.COM?

Don’t know as my 2800.com is paired with a Kestral 5700 Elite. I find the ballistic chart in the Kestral to be easier to use than the Leica. You may already have a wind speed measuring device and use the Leica’s weather measurements. The beauty of the Leica and Kestral (when they function properly) is the integration of range, inclination, direction of fire with the Kestral’s attributes

Firmware update appears to be out guys.. hopefully fixes some of the connection issues.

Curious if there's been any news on this issue. I'm having issues keeping my 2800.com connected. As reported above I can "force" it in the kestrel and that seems to be the best workaround. The sleep timeout on the 2800 is really damn short so this is annoying.

I have also been completely unsuccessful at getting it to connect to my iPhone in 'app' mode to do any firmware updates.
I can't get my 2800 to connect to the iPhone app regularly. I'm not even using a Kestrel, just want to simply pair to upload custom ballistic data. The BT turns off by itself. This software and/or the BT device sucks. Leica Repair/technical support is non existent. Is anyone actually able to use this in the simple phone-device paired mode?

Last edited:
Please experiment at your house and test my findings. More people that validate and post hopefully they will step up.

I almost want to remove the ranging button, it's too easy to hit first by accident as you grab it.
Hi Sean or anyone else,
I am about to buy the Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.COM and have been reading the issues with timing out/ going into sleep mode/ disconnecting from Kestrel once paired with Kestrel, has this issue been fixed yet do you know?
Cheers mate - Stu

Hi All,

I just got off the phone to the Lieca rep and he said the issue has been resolved. An updated firmware was released a couple of months ago however in order to resolve the connectivity issue you need to download the Leica Hunting app as well. Hop ethis brings some joy to all :)

Cheers - Stu

Hi All,

I just got off the phone to the Lieca rep and he said the issue has been resolved. An updated firmware was released a couple of months ago however in order to resolve the connectivity issue you need to download the Leica Hunting app as well. Hop ethis brings some joy to all :)

Cheers - Stu
Hi All,

Cheers - Stu
They have not updated there firmware this is the same version since i bought it, 2018 timestamp.
I think they updated the 3200.com fw it was indicated and verified on that thread.
Screenshot_20200907-181925_Leica Hunting.jpg

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Picked up the 2800 (Thanks @gr8fuldoug from CameralandNY) this week.

Loaded the new firmware and had no connection issues today over a two hour range session.
Pretty simple reconnect when either the Kestrel or Leica falls asleep or times out.

So far, I’m happy with the combination.

(I did change the data logging to 2 seconds as mentioned elsewhere.)

2. If the Leica goes into sleep mode, and I wake it with button 1, it will power up, reconnect to the Kestrel BT, the reticle will swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) as it reconnects with the Kestrel. When this is complete I can range targets as needed. Come up and wind hold information is displayed on the Leica and the Kestrel.
  3. f they both go to sleep and I wake up the Leica with button 1 and power on the Kestrel and wait for the reticle to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device), it operates in the same way as above in (2).
  4. If the Leica goes to sleep and I wake it with button 2, the Leica appears to reconnect with the Kestrel, it appears to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) and be good. When you press button 2 to range, it displays the range but not the come up or wind hold on the Leica. It does send the info to the Kestrel and displays on the Kestrel.
After updating to the latest firmware here are my observations that deviate from the detail above.

I let the leica go into sleep mode and woke it up relatively quickly with button 2, waited for the swirls to complete, then ranged a target. This worked as it did previously depending on the time you let it sleep.

I then tested the mode that always failed previously, let the leica go to sleep and wait at least 2 minutes, then woke with button 2. It now works as above, wait for the reticle swirl to complete and range away.
I will continue to test, but looks like they figured out their BT sleep mode issues.

BT Range with the 2800.com has never been an issue and still is not an issue for me.

Also they extended the time the solution remains in the hud on the leica, then changes to wind hold, then back to the target screen, no repeat scroll through. Big improvement in my opinion.

Last edited:
sry not sure if this was already covered. anyone having issues with the 2800com eating up batteries? the CR2 batteries for me are like 4-6 bucks and they are only lasting like MAYBE 6-8hrs of use. and im not even constantly keeping it on. It is paired with my kestrel and mostly will turn it on for ranging goats in the distance. but not using it for hours on end.

sry not sure if this was already covered. anyone having issues with the 2800com eating up batteries? the CR2 batteries for me are like 4-6 bucks and they are only lasting like MAYBE 6-8hrs of use. and im not even constantly keeping it on. It is paired with my kestrel and mostly will turn it on for ranging goats in the distance. but not using it for hours on end.
Where are you storing it when not using it? Is very easy to have it stowed in a way to constantly have the buttons pressed and chew the batteries.

It sits in my top pocket of my kifaru 22mag. I guess that is always a consideration. Ill try keep it extra secure when i put a new battery in. See if it helps. Lol ill feel like a huge idiot if thats the issue. Thanks man for the tip.

It sits in my top pocket of my kifaru 22mag. I guess that is always a consideration. Ill try keep it extra secure when i put a new battery in. See if it helps. Lol ill feel like a huge idiot if thats the issue. Thanks man for the tip.
I pull the battery and place it in the bottom of the case. That seemed to help my battery life even though I am not getting the hours or ranging numbers that some are.

I pull the battery and place it in the bottom of the case. That seemed to help my battery life even though I am not getting the hours or ranging numbers that some are.
A hide member makes a 3d printed holder with a arca base that slides over the front. Second use is you can slide it back and cover the buttons when packed.
20200928_074211.jpg
20200928_074301.jpg