• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets see your USMC M40-M40A6!!!

C7C53CC3-BE98-431F-A31F-934063E624C4.jpeg

Warner Swazey M1903
Winchester A5 1903
Unertl 8X M1903
Winchester M70/Unertl 8X M1903

Dont just limit your self to new technology.

I am sure @cplnorton knows others I missed.

1909 The first Warner Swaseys enter the Corps

-1911/12 The Marines trial some WRA A5's and steven's scopes. But never choose to accept the scopes.

- spring 1917 Niedner mounted 150 scopes on M1903's. The identify of the scopes is never confirmed, but it had to be either A5's, or Steven's scopes. Both are very possible. I actually could almost make a more compelling argument they were Steven's scopes, but it's impossible to say for sure either way. But anyways Niedner was fired after only completing 150 rifles.

-Summer 1917 After Niedner is fired, Winchester mounts 500 scopes on M1903 rifles. These shipped to France. They were A5 scopes that used a WRA mount, that WRA called the "Springfield Marine." This is not the Mann Niedner conversion we all know about. These rifles are not in the books, which is sort of funny because the Army had these sniper rifles as well. In fact these should be the most famous sniper rifle of the war, yet few know about them unless they have seen the research I've posted on them, or see what I put on Tim's website.

-1918 The Marine Philly Depot starts to mount their own scopes in house at Philly with A5's they bought loose off WRA. These use the Mann Niedner design that Niedner probably showed them how to do in 1917. But the Mann Niender as it's often called conversion, was done in house by the Marines at the Depot.

-the Marines bought some Fecker scopes about 1923 for the rifle team rifles. They were not snipers. In fact really after about 1919/20, the sniper rifles for the Marines were mostly in storage in between the wars and the only scopes they used were for the rifle teams.

-late 1930's, they bought a handful of some lyman targetspots for rifle team rifles.

-1940, the Marines bought a handful of the most common commercial scopes to use for the sniper trials. The Lyman 5A, the Weaver 330/440, the Noeske, the Unertl, etc... They choose the Unertl 8X.

-Note I did not list the lyman 5A as a sniper scope as books detail. This is incorrect. The Marines bought like 5 of them for sniper trials. But they used the term lyman 5A to describe the WRA A5 scope as well. So it's because the MArines incorrectly called the WRA A5 scopes the lyman 5A, or more correctly the guy typing up some repots did, it has caused a lot of confusion for prior authors. But its' quite clear the Marines did not use the lyman 5A at all past the trial scopes.

-1941/42 The Marines make some Mann Niedners for training, and build some for the Navy for minesweepers. Books don't detail this either. There are WWI Mann Niedner snipers, and there are WWII built Mann Niedner snipers. The Unertl snipers were not the only Marine sniper in WWII.

-Jan 1943, the Unertl Snipers start to be made. For sure 250 were built, and that very well might be all that were made.

-1943/44 The Marines acquire limited numbers of the 1903A4 off the Army and field them. But not many came in before the whole sniper program was cancelled in Feb 1944.

-Nov 1950, the Marines adopt the M1C sniper over the Unertl

-1951/1952 the Marines decide to get rid of the M81/82 scope on the M1C. They conduct trials and choose the Kollmorgen scope, but it seems very few scopes arrive before Korea ends. There is no evidence any ever reached Korea.

- 1953 to 1962 the M1952 sniper which was a M1C rifle with a Kollmorgen 4X scope was the sniper, but these sat in storage for the most part as there wasn't a sniper school to train snipers. So no one really knew how to use them.

-1962/63 the Marines decide to get rid of the M1952 sniper. There is a few mentions of the M1D about this time, but these seem to be extremely rare.

-1965 the Marines decide to start sniper schools again and order some M1D's off the Army and take some Model 70's from the Quantico rifle range and put some leftover Unertl 8X scopes from WWII on them, and ship them to Vietnam

-1966/67 The Remington 700 was chosen in the sniper trials as the Marines were converting over to 7.62 mm and wanted to get rid of all the 30:06 snipers. So the 700 was named the M40 and started to arrive in Country in 1967

- From 1967 I see only the M40. I don't hardly see any mentions at all on the M14 as a sniper rifle. It seems the Army was much more fixated on the M14 from the beginning, where the Marines wanted a bolt action rifle sniper.

- 1971 the Marines want to modify the M40. Basically all the shortcomings of the rifle were exposed in the jungle and the Marine's as early 1971 detail all the mods they want, which all the mods they want, are what you see on the M40A1. The Marines identified all the M40a1 revisions as early as 1971.

From then on, other's would be far better than me to detail. The New stuff I don't know much on. :)

Just found this in the back of the safe, figured you guys might find it interesting. It's one of about a dozen Badger Ordnance prototype mounts that were made for the M40A6 scope mount solicitation. Larue ended up winning the contract, so no more of these Badger USMC mounts were made. Does anyone else here have one? Marty sold a few to collectors, so there's a handful out there.

YAYzlOI.jpeg

MUmy2he.jpeg

kTfEggm.jpeg

sEDEvox.jpeg

I saw one at auction a month or so ago. It didn't come new in the box.

And now for something completely different...my M40A5 in action at ALTUS!
still managed a hit despite being sidewise behind the rifle, lol

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
usmc didnt do Mk11 Mod 2. They are all M110s.
The order history from Knight's Armament suggests the USMC did in fact use the Mk 11 Mod 0 (only a few, they got 10 from the first SOCOM order back in 2000, presumably for evaluation purposes), followed by 180 rifles of the Mk 11 Mod 1 configuration in 2006 (that used the S&B 3-12x scopes), and a few of the Mk 11 Mod 2s were I think delivered to MARSOC (shipped unscoped per the TM, but possibly using NF 3.5-15x scopes since that was what SOCOM had in its inventory), after which the USMC ordered 803 of the M110s in June 2010 for the 'regular' Marine Corps (ie, non-MARSOC Marines).

The confusion is probably due to a confluence of events that occurred in 2006, as that was the year that MARSOC was created (In Feb) and that was also the year KAC started delivering the first M110s to the US Army - and they were also concurrently delivering to Crane/SOCOM the updated Mk 11 weapons circa 2006. It seems that these Mk 11 Mod 1/2s might have been for SOCOM and the newest command under SOCOM - the newly stood-up U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations Command (MARSOC)...and Crane plays a key role re their weapons, which I'll note below:
USMC Mk11 history_highlights.png

(Source: Shotgun News, August 1, 2011)
NF won their first optics contract with Crane/SOCOM in mid-2005. Since Crane supplies (or in some cases built) the sniper weapons for SOCOM, including MARSOC as of 2006, I wonder if this picture is perhaps from around that era of what I suspect is a 'US NAVY/USSOCOM' Mk 11 Mod 2 with 3.5-15x NF scope, used by SOCOM guys and possibly MARSOC guys too - depending on the mission. (The markings are not visible in this pic, but I suspect its engraved 'Mk 11 Mod 2'). The USMC got the same rifle but without the optic, designated as the Mk 11 Mod 2, but I read it was a low volume item.
M110_w_case.png

...so, it seems that the USMC Special Operations/MARSOC guys used perhaps 180 or so of the Mk 11 Mod 1s in the mid-to-late 200Xs with S&B 3-12 scopes that they supplied to KAC, and the MARSOC guys might have used a small number of the Mk 11 Mod 2s that were shipped from Crane without scopes, as seen in that earlier pic by USMCSGT0331. The USMC Special Operators must have liked the Mk 11 Mod 1/2s overall, as the large USMC order of M110s for the 'regular' USMC took place in June 2010. (Those M110s were not SOCOM weapons per se, so not sure if Crane was involved, aside from perhaps their contracting relationship with KAC). At least that's my reading of history...

Last edited:
Z1TzlRu.jpeg

RHcLfXi.jpeg

YjAMklm.jpeg

pqViBPU.jpeg

Here's one of those really strange M40A3 variants that's pretty much unheard of. This variant and the MIRS scope rail variant are the strangest A3 variations. This one was easy to replicate for the photos, I just swapped the Schmidt & Bender for the NightForce.

mS24Ckv.jpeg

lZLmoex.jpeg

4D5O8Xs.jpeg

gPQVBMj.jpeg
SGT,
I've never seen that version of the larue bridge mount before. Only the solid one piece on the MK13 Mod 7. What's the story on them?

SGT,
I've never seen that version of the larue bridge mount before. Only the solid one piece on the MK13 Mod 7. What's the story on them?
It’s because the issued LT840 mounts have four-screw front rings. So an additional ring half is needed to support the six-screw top rail mounts. Similar to what Nightforce did for their setups.

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
usmc didnt do Mk11 Mod 2. They are all M110s.
Odd, normally anything in the Navy and Marine Corps is given a MK/Mod unless it is procured through Army (such as the M9, M16 and M1911, etc...)
If memory served, SOCOM/Crane originated the MK 11, when the Army decided to pick it up, they called it the M110, likely remained that way throughout procurement.

Odd, normally anything in the Navy and Marine Corps is given a MK/Mod unless it is procured through Army (such as the M9, M16 and M1911, etc...)
If memory served, SOCOM/Crane originated the MK 11, when the Army decided to pick it up, they called it the M110, likely remained that way throughout procurement.
Not sure why. Though there are some differences between the Mk11 Mod 2 and the M110. Which could be the reason.

Having used both an AI AX and a m40a6 RACS in competition I am very thankful for the snipers they went RACS. That AX chassis sucks shooting off obstacles compared to the RACS. That stupid little handguard and clif of a step to the forearm tube made it a nightmare settling of anything. Balance point was always right at that step transition even with a 20" barrel.

That said very cool piece. Had no idea they considered a AX chassis.

Forgot to add here. Stage rifle at my match. Everyone loved shooting it. Only a few recognized it. Like 1 person couldnt get enough. The rest never said a thing. Over 70 shooters shot it.

My son trying to get eye relief. As anyone who has shot one know its tough to do.
Was a fun stage rifle regardless. Very accurate. This one was built by Eric at GAP quite awhile ago.

Had a major dust devil fill it with sand. Bolt wouldnt close, had to wipe out and was gtg. Need to clean it.

NRL HUNTER - LINDON STAGE GUN.jpg

Regards
DT

I can never keep up if he's working or no longer working....

Is he building again because I could use a clip slot done.

unfortunately I think he is currently in the hospital (not sure why) so say some prayers for a speedy recovery

i also want to usehim for a build.

DT

Reactions: Charlie112
unfortunately I think he is currently in the hospital (not sure why) so say some prayers for a speedy recovery

i also want to usehim for a build.

DT
Damn... didn't mean he needs to be in that state to not work anymore! Just know he's bounced from yes to no back to yes a lot.

Always been nice to me and at the matches...hopefully it's a quick/ easy recovery from whatever it is.