• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold mark 4 m5 turret question

Chad44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2012
Castle rock, CO
Why are some scopes equip with the m5 turret that has a button in the center and a revolution indicator and others look like the classic older mark 4 turrets but have a m5 stamped on them. How can a guy ensure he gets the newer turret?

I believe the indicator is on the M5B2. That's what the mk6 and mk8 have.

Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm (34mm) M5A2 has the newer turret but the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) M5 Front Focal doesn't. Guess the M5A2 is what I'm looking for I guess

Correct. I actually posted over on LRH. Get the 34mm if you want the locking elevation turret.

Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm (34mm) M5A2 has the newer turret but the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) M5 Front Focal doesn't. Guess the M5A2 is what I'm looking for I guess

So the m5 doesn't mean it the locking turret. I get that. I'm just confused what the "new" M5 stamped on the same old turret actually means. I've heard that it means that it's mil/mil now but I thought they always had a mil/mil set up. I've heard its ffp too. I'm beginning to think its a way to make us think we are getting something new/better then the older mark 4.
I do like the new locking turret on the 34mm tho. I'm just confused as to what the M5 means when you aren't getting the locking turret. If I'm beating a dead horse I'm sorry.

Ok. Thanks. That cleared it up. I guess I thought that they had a mil turret before but guess not. Maybe they'll do MOA/MOA someday

Ok. Thanks. That cleared it up. I guess I thought that they had a mil turret before but guess not. Maybe they'll do MOA/MOA someday

Leupold has a new reticle coming out called the TMOA, which looks like nothing more than Leupold's TMR with MOA instead of MIL graduations. Currently only available on the VX6 6-24x52MM Part # 115009. I would expect wider distribution in 2014, and maybe retrofits for the MK4 line.

Rip Van Leupold is waking up and joining the 21st century....about time too.