• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Leupold spotter

Rowdyryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Wichita kansas
Gonna make the plunge and break down and buy a spotter. I either want a 12-40x60 or the new 20-60x80 mark 4!!! What is the better choice of the two? I shoot long range target shooting, I am starting to get into comp shooting and I do a lot of hunting.

I have the 12-40x60 and it works well for for the purposes you describe (nice & compact). No experience with the larger version but it looks nice.

The eye piece is really the deciding factor. I have the "Wind River" version of the Luepold, thinking it would really be a good buy. Truth is the eye piece is no better than my old Tasco. Get the one with the larger eye piece for quicker acquisition while on the firing line.

40xs I think both have the same eye piece the only difference is the larger 80mm objective and the increase in magnification

I think the Leupold glass really limits resolution in the upper mag range so going with the 20-60 would be kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Combine that with the fact I can't count the number of times I wish I had less than 12x to aid in finding targets under time constraints. If all you are doing is shooting on a range, a mk 4 or any leupold in that range is a not the best idea. For range use I prefer taking a Zeiss 65t or Vortex Razor HD or anything up in that level of glass. All of these are in the same price range fyi.

Comparing a Vortex and Zeiss spotters glass is blasphemy.
While they make good working scopes, the glass is not Vortex strongest point.
The Spotter 45 was the answer to my search.

Last edited:
Vortex and Leupold MK4 are on par with each other re glass quality IMHO. Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski are on a different and higher level with a price tag to match. The MK4 is a very good and rugged "field scope" which is what the OP seems to be looking for. If you go to any comp where spotting scopes are used, the MK4 12-40x will be the predominant scope used.