• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Lidar Gurus?

Hi,

I am just starting my in depth research on them right now but the below images of wind are pretty damn awesome!!

1570886143113.png

1570886157751.png

1570886187132.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Setup/configuration/installation - yes. Usage, not so much unfortunately.

Be sure to get the 3G remote network kit if you won’t have a workstation connected via Ethernet within 100 meters of the WindCube. We had to wait on that for a bit to finalize the install we did (really any Ethernet bridge will work - even microwave if you have LOS to it).

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

@AIAW
OK, so...feel me in!!
Let's talk with 6k distance scanning windcube for this conversation.
What do I need for that?
What do I need in order for the data/images to report real time to a laptop/tablet at firing position?

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Setup location sounds good! If you have line of sight to it then you can use a microwave transmitter. The 3G kit works as well (no LOS) - takes a simple SIM card for the cellular network. The trick is getting a static IP with some carriers.

10-Mile Point-to-Point Microwave Example: https://www.proxim.com/en/products/point-to-point/tsunami-quickbridge-10250-beamx-series

One transceiver close to the WindCube, one back at the firing position. Not a difficult install really there. Configure, mount, power, aim, test.

The WindCube (almost all models) can be powered by 110V AC (converter required, sold with unit), but can also be powered directly from 24V DC (solar-charged battery banks work well). Other than keeping it powered and keeping the wiper water tank filled on it there isn't much to do at the device other than occasional cleaning. Just have to be sure to power it down before going out to it or bye bye corneas! They do ship glasses with it for close-proximity testing/usage of it.

Have you talked to any of the Leosphere (I guess it's Vaisala now) guys yet? They usually throw an install in with the deal (the one I did was a move on a used unit, so no "professional services" included from them.

Also, here is the manual for the S series if you want to check out some of the specs, etc.

Link

Let me know if I can help in some way. I don't have any operational experience, but I do have an install under my belt at least.

Hi,

I am trying to find out best POC right now....some websites say NRG is the exclusive distributor for the USA market and other websites say different.

So it is looking like the email address on Leosphere site itself :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: AIAW
The downsize of this approach is you get the wind vector with LIDAR, ok...and then in the real world you are back to zero. Nice for many applications but for practical ballistics I have serious doubt about its usefulness.

No experience with the unit you mentioned but its a good thing for the future. Some units
here in Aus are running wind lidar and getting very impressive hit percentages out to a mile
or so. Integration of wind lidar, RF, atmo and solution data is really the easy button for fire
solutions. Old news for missile systems but exciting potential for small arms LR accuracy.

No experience with the unit you mentioned but its a good thing for the future. Some units
here in Aus are running wind lidar and getting very impressive hit percentages out to a mile
or so. Integration of wind lidar, RF, atmo and solution data is really the easy button for fire
solutions. Old news for missile systems but exciting potential for small arms LR accuracy.
But what happens when you stop acccessing the LIDAR data? Back to the cavemen age?:oops: LIDAR is neither affordablenor portable and I love technology but practicality comes first to me.

Our guys still get schooled caveman style; zero electronics and back to hard copy data
if necessary. Ive been caught in sub zero temps trying to get the electronic toys back
up running by stuffing em down my shirt n pants..... Land nav via hard maps is a big
one too; plenty of times Ive heard stories of arty being called way too close because
someone couldn't read a map properly.

I can see huge value in wind lidar as a training tool. Being able to relate mirage, visual
cues like dust and vegetation movement with the graphic representation on screen
should be a great asset. Sometimes we use a variety of wind flags on high poles to
show the effects of updrafts etc; a pita to set up but great for training. There are lidar
binos that are quite portable, but at $70k + that might not be for me just yet ; ) .

Reactions: LastShot300
Our guys still get schooled caveman style; zero electronics and back to hard copy data
if necessary. Ive been caught in sub zero temps trying to get the electronic toys back
up running by stuffing em down my shirt n pants..... Land nav via hard maps is a big
one too; plenty of times Ive heard stories of arty being called way too close because
someone couldn't read a map properly.

I can see huge value in wind lidar as a training tool. Being able to relate mirage, visual
cues like dust and vegetation movement with the graphic representation on screen
should be a great asset. Sometimes we use a variety of wind flags on high poles to
show the effects of updrafts etc; a pita to set up but great for training. There are lidar
binos that are quite portable, but at $70k + that might not be for me just yet ; ) .
Don't get me wrong I'm all in for technology! just pointing out the pros and cons of such approach which is very nice for an instrumented range for obvious reasons. On the other hand, LIDAR comes in several flavors, the binos are not meant for wind surveying.

$105K if I remember correctly is what a 200S unit costs new, plus the “support contract” which is pretty much a must.

THESIS Did you perhaps ever get around to talking to NRG or anyone regarding your Lidar needs?

I mean, with all of that free time you’ve had and all ?

• Haha
Hi,

I actually did finally get someone that put me in contact with someone else and that person put me in contact with yet someone else, lol...BUT at the end of the call I had made it to the proper person that I needed to be speaking with.

So after numerous phone calls and meetings we have determined that I need to build/outfit a 32' enclosed trailer as a mobile T&E lab just to house all the equipment needed to visit shooting places/locations.

This is on the back burner until at least after SOFEX in April.....just in time for the nice weather months at your shooting spot :).

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: AIAW