• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Limited Options, R-25 vs RRA LAR-8

2/1_Kiwi

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
New Zealand
Looking at starting my first semi .308 project, unfortunatly the New Zealand market for semi .308s is fairly limited. Without devleoping a brain tumor attempting to import from U.S (Both ends of the process are bad enough, both export process and then customs once it lands) my only landed options are the Remington R-25 (NZD $3300 = USD 2,585.88) or RRA LAR-8 (NZD $3000 = USD 2,350.80).

Thoughts? With these being my options can i expect a sub-MOA rifle or am i just going to have to make do?

Re: Limited Options, R-25 vs RRA LAR-8

I'd go with the R-25. It's more to spec and uses SR-25 pattern mags like PMAG20LRs. The RRA receivers are not to spec (much much tighter fit) and use FAL mags. Bit of a oddball rifle.

I bought an R-25 for my dad, it's nice for a hunting rifle so I guess that would segway into use as a DMR, never really put it to test as a combat/battle rifle.

Either can be sub MOA with the right ammo (reloads, FGMM, etc) and driven properly.
The RRA uses FN FAL mags-if they are common there, then that won't be a problem. They also sell their own polymer mags. VERY FEW COMMON ACCESSORIES WILL FIT THE RRA-LIKE FREE FLOAT HANDGUARDS ETC. Only RRA uppers/lowers will fit. They do have a reputation for good accuracy. I own it's predecessor, the Bushmaster BAR10, which is the original design BM sold to RRA.

I'm not sure about the Remington, but I'd think it uses the DPMS platform mags. Therefore, there are many more accessories that will fit. They also have a good accuracy rep.

Cheers for the feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you want to do with it? </div></div>

General serive rifle shooting/competition and perhaps some long range with a bit of development.

Magazine importation is another issue here, pretty hard to get a permit to procure and thanks to Mr Breivik few places in the US ship mags internationally. SLR mags are easy enough to find...but FN FAL, not so much, wonder how much conversion would be required.

Am leaning toward the R-25, just due to availability of parts and its specs. Factory barrel any good?

Forget about converting an RRA back to more available mags. The whole design was built around adapting an AR10-type weapon to use FAL mags because they were so cheap and available at the time. Now that they are drying up, and the quality of used mags has gone down, I feel the otherwise fine rifle is actually being held back by it's dependence on the FAL mag.

Forgive my ignorance, what's SLR mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory barrel any good?</div></div>
It's subMOA if handloaded and true MOA with FGMM175. You can send me a mssg if interested in details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Forgive my ignorance, what's SLR mag? </div></div>

Self Loading Rifle, Brit version of the FN FAL (imperial dimensions) used by Canada, Aussie, NZ and other commenwealth nations.

Aliensixone, Pm'd, cheers

Any reccomendations in regards to free floating Rail systems for either?

OK--supposedly the RRA uses these mags as well as the metrics. I only have metric mags.

Rock River sells 20rd polymer mags for $20 so that issue is solved. Daniel Defense makes a version of their 7.62 Lite to fit the LAR8 with the included barrel nut. Rock River has built a strong reputation and their popularity has led to more aftermarket support than in years past, plus that 2 stage trigger is so nice
smile.gif

I think remington r-25 is made from dpms. Just ordered a dpms recon in .308 myself. I've had a couple .308's in dpms over the years and I was happy with it, but I would purchase a magpul magainze right away (magpul 20lr). Just ordered a couple magpul 308 mags (20lr) from midway usa, but I see they are back out of stock again. Anything udner $25 shipped is a good deal. Just get on the email waiting list:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/838956/...d-polymer-black

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rock River sells 20rd polymer mags for $20 so that issue is solved. </div></div>

As stated earlier mate i live in New Zealand, mag procurment is quite difficult, and few places in the US are exporting magazines these days. And Magpul products in general arn't exported.

Midwayusa also doesnt ship internationally.

R-25s are a DPMS build from what ive read, the trigger leaves a bit to be desired. The RRA wins in that regard.

I have 4 RRA LAR-8's. Each one has been perfect. I would look at the cryo treated barrels. They seem to be exceptionally accurate. See if you can order extra RRA mags when you order the rifle.

I have a 20" Varmint LR-8. I'm very happy with it ! I would see about ordering spare RR polymer mags with the rifle.Mine work perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rock River sells 20rd polymer mags for $20 so that issue is solved. </div></div>

As stated earlier mate i live in New Zealand, mag procurment is quite difficult, and few places in the US are exporting magazines these days. And Magpul products in general arn't exported.

Midwayusa also doesnt ship internationally.

R-25s are a DPMS build from what ive read, the trigger leaves a bit to be desired. The RRA wins in that regard. </div></div>

These aren't Magpul as far as I know. I'm not sure who's manufacturing em for RRA but you may find someone that will export em.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=515

Much appreciated mates, some good sources. Will make some enquiries.

Easy Choice...notice the only ones pointing you toward the Remington don't have an LAR-8. I absolutely love my LAR-8 standard operator and its sub moa with FGMM. The polymer mags are good to go. Enjoy...

http://www.thermoldmagazines.com/collections/fn-fal/products/fn-fal-m-magazine

Notice the description of this M or Metric mag says it will work with any weapon that takes metric FAL mags. The FN/FAL-1 mag is for inch-pattern guns and does not have the "works with any weapon" clause. So I figure their metric mag is the one they make for RRA.

The RRA's claim to take either type, metric or inch-pattern. I have had much more success with the metric ones myself. Bear in mind my gun (Bushmaster BAR10) is really a prototype of the RRA, RRA made some improvements over the Bushmaster after they bought the rights to the design. The SLR mags you spoke of will probably work fine as well.

I have two of the LAR8s with free floated stainless barrels (one 20 and one 26 inch)

Accuracy is outstanding!
I usually run 155 Amax or 155 Scenars over Varget and routinely shoot 1/2 moa 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

They generally group the same as my expensive bolt guns.
I have tried the 26in version at 1K and was shooting around MOA. I did not not expect this level of performance from a semi auto .308! The 20inch Predator and 26 inch heavy barrel group the same at 200yards but I haven't tried the 20 inch at 1K.

I dont have any experience with the Remingtons but the RRAs have greatly exceeded my expectations.

Also-I think you will find more than one serial number prefix on the RRA LAR8s. The ones that start USXXX work fine with metric or inch magazine variants. The other prefix (I dont remember what it is) seems to prefer the inch versions as the metrics are very tight and don't always drop free. (observation based on having used 2 of each prefix)

Best of luck with your decision.
You will probably be happy with either choice.
Perhaps you can buy both and then sell the one that you dont like?